Paddy, fit and symptom free.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paddy, fit and symptom free.

Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 30 Aug 2020 10:06pm Gee an immanent return of a marking forward would be a salivating prospect for Ratts.
The choices, kick it to the athletic 200cm forward and have it slip through his fingers or kick it to the not so athletic 194cm forward and watch it bounce off his chest. Decisions, decisions.

Kick it to Max, he'll keep his feet, offer a 2nd effort & tackle.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Paddy has no chance of making a successful comeback

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

If Paddy reads the reports of Spud's CTE diagnosis in today's papers and how that awful condition ultimately manifested upon his quality life and ultimate demise ... and then still decides to play on - then there's not a great deal of hope for humanity and its ability to make an informed decision.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 4:31pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 30 Aug 2020 10:06pm Gee an immanent return of a marking forward would be a salivating prospect for Ratts.
The choices, kick it to the athletic 200cm forward and have it slip through his fingers or kick it to the not so athletic 194cm forward and watch it bounce off his chest. Decisions, decisions.

You're in the wrong department, players like Gears and Sebby and Kent bring those non negotiables every game, I'm hoping that between a No. 1 & 4 DP key tall we can see the occasional mark and goal. After all isn't that what a key tall is meant to bring to the table over and above the non negotiables.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 5:21pm

You're in the wrong department, players like Gears and Sebby and Kent bring those non negotiables every game, I'm hoping that between a No. 1 & 4 DP key tall we can see the occasional mark and goal. After all isn't that what a key tall is meant to bring to the table over and above the non negotiables.
What department are you referring to?

We've seen that from Max in terms of non negotiables, Max will only get better in terms of marks & goals. Paddy unfortunately was born 30 years too late. He should have played in 97 but that said, Jason Heatley was a better footballer through pure application.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I was actually wondering who was the marking forward that Karen was referring to?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

TheSkippe wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 3:41pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 3:37pm Do St Kilda do Baseline Tests on all players before every season?

See this;

https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases- ... oncussion/

Baseline Evaluations

Because it is difficult to determine when a concussion has fully healed, baseline neurocognitive evaluation is an important tool for assessing whether it is safe for an athlete to return to play. Before the sports season starts, each athlete takes a computerized test that measures brain functions, such as memory and reaction time. If an athlete later has a concussion, post-injury tests can be compared to the baseline evaluation to measure the severity of the concussion and help doctors monitor healing.
In addition, pre-season evaluations can help identify athletes who have had previous, unrecognized concussions and who are at risk for repeat concussions. For example, past injuries to the face or neck may have been accompanied by an unrecognized concussion.
You can see from here the AFL does and St Kilda does. But they are only as accurate as the patient lets them be

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-20 ... 9f43ab5a61
Are you suggesting players fudge their results...like deliberately say 2 + 2 is 5 just in case they get a knock in the and have to prove their cognitive capacity in a subsequent test? I can't see how they can game the system but maybe today's footy players are smarter than we think. Collingwood's players (and fans) have always look like Rhodes scholars, it must be said.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 01 Sep 2020 5:09pm If Paddy reads the reports of Spud's CTE diagnosis in today's papers and how that awful condition ultimately manifested upon his quality life and ultimate demise ... and then still decides to play on - then there's not a great deal of hope for humanity and its ability to make an informed decision.
Exactly what I thought mate :cry: If that's not enough to make you see there is more to life than footy then I don't know what else can .This young man has a life to live lets hope damage hasn't already been done

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Jordan Lewis has mentioned a few times how he felt after the huge head knock he received at Docklands stadium early in his career.

What he said tonight on FoxFooty was that he 'thought' he was fine in the days and weeks after but when it came to game day he wasn't. He didn't miss any weeks, but in hindsight he reckons he should have

He said it's ok to jog around and train during the week and he felt fine, however the intensity of an actual game and the pressure and speed of decision making required made him realise that his brain was not quite right.

It was a sickening collision where Jordy was lined up as he had eyes only for the footy and not only did he cop the shirt front at speed but his head also smacked the hard Docklands turf and he was out cold. Had the stiff arm that is renowned for concussion and he took a while to recover, but...the amazing thing is that he went to the bench and all he wanted to he says is to play on and in those days you could.

He said the AFL has come a long way since then but perhaps they need to go a step further and take it off the player and off the medico and clubs hands. He suggested tonight that they look at a compulsory 2 weeks off if you are diagnosed with concussion.

Last edited by Scollop on Wed 02 Sep 2020 2:02am, edited 1 time in total.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Footy helmets. Unfortunately. Within five years they may well be decreed by law.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 02 Sep 2020 2:02am Footy helmets. Unfortunately. Within five years they may well be decreed by law.
The damage is done by the brain impacting the skull on the inside. Helmets do not stop this. Helmets can stop skulls from being split open. But if the head stops suddenly concussion still happens as when the head stops suddenly the brain keeps travelling through the fluid it is suspended in and impacts the skull.

Also it may be that the body that is stopped suddenly and the head on the neck is whiplashed.

In closed head injury, damage occurs because the person receives a blow to the head that whips the head forward and back or from side to side (as in a car crash), causing the brain to collide at high velocity with the bony skull in which it is housed. This jarring bruises brain tissue and tears blood vessels, particularly where the inside surface of the skull is rough and uneven; damage occurs at (and sometimes opposite) the point of impact.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Not sure why you'd need to bump this thread other than a diversion from the shyteful footy we played at times today

I got whiplash watching us play the Hawks.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Paddy, fit and symptom free.
GOOD
I hope he stays that way by NEVER playing football again.

But I doubt he is symptom free because he is still stupid enough to want to play AFL footy again.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Shaun Smith (ex Melbourne player who took that giant mark) concussion insurance payout announcement announced in the Hun today. I wonder how that affects Paddy’s dreams. I am sure the footy helmet industry has its ears and eyes wide open.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Shaun Smith's successful litigation and $1.4 million payout will surely make the AFL and AFLPA sit up and take notice.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-18/ ... t/12676602

This will set a precedent with many more former footballers following down Shaun Smith's path, and it will be interesting to see how insurance companies will react.

It would not at all surprise if this will result in players such as Paddy McCartin, with very serious concussions over a long period, being denied approval to continue to play in any AFL sanctioned competitions.

This is a dreadful dilemma because for every former footballer who has suffered long-term ill effects from concussion injuries, there will be many many more who have not had any impairment to their health.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 18 Sep 2020 3:45pm Shaun Smith's successful litigation and $1.4 million payout will surely make the AFL and AFLPA sit up and take notice.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-18/ ... t/12676602

This will set a precedent with many more former footballers following down Shaun Smith's path, and it will be interesting to see how insurance companies will react.

It would not at all surprise if this will result in players such as Paddy McCartin, with very serious concussions over a long period, being denied approval to continue to play in any AFL sanctioned competitions.

This is a dreadful dilemma because for every former footballer who has suffered long-term ill effects from concussion injuries, there will be many many more who have not had any impairment to their health.
Won’t stop the litigation industry.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 02 Sep 2020 1:52am Jordan Lewis has mentioned a few times how he felt after the huge head knock he received at Docklands stadium early in his career.

What he said tonight on FoxFooty was that he 'thought' he was fine in the days and weeks after but when it came to game day he wasn't. He didn't miss any weeks, but in hindsight he reckons he should have

He said it's ok to jog around and train during the week and he felt fine, however the intensity of an actual game and the pressure and speed of decision making required made him realise that his brain was not quite right.

It was a sickening collision where Jordy was lined up as he had eyes only for the footy and not only did he cop the shirt front at speed but his head also smacked the hard Docklands turf and he was out cold. Had the stiff arm that is renowned for concussion and he took a while to recover, but...the amazing thing is that he went to the bench and all he wanted to he says is to play on and in those days you could.

He said the AFL has come a long way since then but perhaps they need to go a step further and take it off the player and off the medico and clubs hands. He suggested tonight that they look at a compulsory 2 weeks off if you are diagnosed with concussion.

Lewis came back onto the field in the last 1/4.
That is unthinkable now what 5 or 6 years later.

I remember in about 2010 Chips got knocked out cold against Collingwood and later came back on which shocked me at the time.

Another I recall was a final I went to at VFL Park Hawthorn V Fitzroy about '83 where Dippa knocked out Michael Reeves (from memory) and Reeves later returned to the field and Dippa had another couple of cracks at him and almost got him a 2nd time.

The impact is bad enough but sending them back onto the field after a knock like Lewis received is frightening as you would assume reaction time and senses are quite dulled.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Didn't Smith take out the insurance personally?

Maybe that makes this situation slightly different?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

OMG that was brutal.

Hope to never see that again

SaintPelican66
Club Player

No way would I take Paddy back at St Kilda.

That's a massive NO from me.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

No too big of a risk. Should never of been no#1 pick. Bloody WB paid too much for Boyd which forced our hand.
I wanted the tractor back when we were discussing this at draft time.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I think the pay out to Smith sounded the death nell to any possible come back attempt by Paddy which is probably a good thing. For Paddy.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Fri 18 Sep 2020 6:56pm I think the pay out to Smith sounded the death nell to any possible come back attempt by Paddy which is probably a good thing. For Paddy.
Yep well said agree 100%

SpooferMcNicol

And a massive no from me. He is done.
Anyone been watching Sydney games and seeing how easy the bro is getting ko'd? Is it not within nornal parameters of the game.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Paddy fit and firing has been a big asset. Ryder that is. Was huge tonight over GWS.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....