Caldwell stats, bio, etc

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Caldwell stats, bio, etc

outside66 wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 4:06pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 1:36pm
outside66 wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 11:26am

Jack Steele appears to have worked out pretty well for us. He also had an impact as soon as he arrived. Who knows what kind of player Steele would be today if we had the current coaching and development team when he came through our door.
How long has Jack been in the system? Highlights the issue perfectly, we don't have time to spare developing for an immediate need and arguably urgent need. As I keep highlighting, if we don't find additional midfield depth that is AFL ready at the upcoming trade period then our development towards being a sustained top 4 side could stall.

Grab Jye by all means as a succession plan for players like Hanners exiting in a few years, but we need AFL ready, 50+ gamers for 2021.
Jack Steele came to us after 2 years at the Giants where he had played 17 games (Calwell has played 11 in as many seasons). Steele's first year with us saw him play 20 games, average 22.1 touches (his average this year funnily enough) and touch under 8 tackles per game. In other words, he had an immediate impact and was AFL ready. If Caldwell is seen as a similar mould then that's exactly what we need.
One really, really big difference, we were a basket case and at the beginning of a rebuild phase so we had no other choice but to play kids.

When you are a finals side, you still have to develop the kids but you do it very strategically, i.e. when your team has an easy kill to feast on.

Put it this way, if we were to plonk Jye and Bytel in next year's side at the same time every week then we would put our top 4 capability at risk.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

sks023 wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 4:12pm
SaintPelican66 wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 4:02pm
saynta wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 3:49pm
SaintPelican66 wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 3:39pm

Jack Steele appears to have worked out pretty well for us. He also had an impact as soon as he arrived. Who knows what kind of player Steele would be today if we had the current coaching and development team when he came through our door.
How long has Jack been in the system? Highlights the issue perfectly, we don't have time to spare developing for an immediate need and arguably urgent need. As I keep highlighting, if we don't find additional midfield depth that is AFL ready at the upcoming trade period then our development towards being a sustained top 4 side could stall.

Grab Jye by all means as a succession plan for players like Hanners exiting in a few years, but we need AFL ready, 50+ gamers for 2021.
This is why I reckon we should do everything in our power to outbid Geelong and grab Crouch as a FA. Backend his contract if we have to but get it done!!
No . Too expensive, a crap kick who doesn't kick goals.
Not true at all Saynta. The huge positive is that he won't cost us draft picks and he would be our second best midfielder straight away only behind Steele. You are just trolling and trying to cause trouble however I will give you the benefit of the doubt if you can back up what you are saying by providing proof. Show us a comparison of his disposal efficiency compared to other midefield extractors/bulls. Expensive he might be, but we can backend his contract to easily fit him in.

So go on, prove that you are not just trolling and show us some comparisons to other players regarding "crap kick" and "doesn't kick goals".
Second best midfielder :roll: Better than Gresham :lol: Zach Jones :lol: Hanners :lol:
As of right here and now......YES.

sks023
Club Player

SaintPelican66 wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 4:25pm
sks023 wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 4:12pm

This is why I reckon we should do everything in our power to outbid Geelong and grab Crouch as a FA. Backend his contract if we have to but get it done!!
Not true at all Saynta. The huge positive is that he won't cost us draft picks and he would be our second best midfielder straight away only behind Steele. You are just trolling and trying to cause trouble however I will give you the benefit of the doubt if you can back up what you are saying by providing proof. Show us a comparison of his disposal efficiency compared to other midefield extractors/bulls. Expensive he might be, but we can backend his contract to easily fit him in.

So go on, prove that you are not just trolling and show us some comparisons to other players regarding "crap kick" and "doesn't kick goals".
Second best midfielder :roll: Better than Gresham :lol: Zach Jones :lol: Hanners :lol:
As of right here and now......YES.
Nah mate! still :lol:

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
Sanctorum
Club Player

fugazi wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 11:38am
Sanctorum wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 10:53am
I doubt Caldwell will cost us a 1st RDP big red, he is exactly the type of young inside mids St Kilda needs, and with only 11 games under his belt he shouldn't cost a hell of a lot.

He's on record as being keen to don the RWB which makes it a near certainty that he will land at Moorabbin next year.
Where is he on record saying this? I can't actually find where he has said he is keen to move only he is uncontracted.
There's a video clip fugazi that I saw recently but can't find right now where he talks about his pre-draft days playing for Geelong Grammar and saying that he was always a mad Saints fan and dreamt of pulling on the RWB one day.

Both GWS and GC Suns have problems retaining their numerous FRDPs from interstate, it's a real problem that the AFL can do nought about once they complete their first contracts. You could compile several pretty strong teams from players first drafted to those 2 teams that have subsequently moved to other clubs.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SaintPelican66 wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 3:23pm
SaintPav wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 8:39am In addition to JC, the club needs to bring in another established mid.

Clark should move into the midfield full time in 2021.

I don’t like the idea of both Ross and Dunstan in the same team.
I think if we could get Saad that would facilitate Clark's move to the midfield and we would still have a weapon off HB.
I believe he’s heading over to play with your boys.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 10:38am Personally I don't think he is worth our first rounder.

Not a slight on the kid.

But we need more for it.

Remember that this year that due to all the Academy/NGA players that our first pick is most likely going to slide down the order making it worth less.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintPelican66
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 4:52pm
SaintPav wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 8:39am In addition to JC, the club needs to bring in another established mid.

I think if we could get Saad that would facilitate Clark's move to the midfield and we would still have a weapon off HB.
What does that mean. Whose boys are you talking about?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SaintPelican66 wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 5:28pm
SaintPav wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 4:52pm

What does that mean. Whose boys are you talking about?
Your boys Saintpremiers

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Given our need for mids, it is likely that if we take our FRDP to the Draft we are likely to select a mid.
Is whomever we select with that pick likely to be better than Caldwell as a prospect?
Let alone Caldwell with a year's development into him.
I see no problem using our FRDP to get him as long as he's as good a prospect as has been made out.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Saad running of the HBF with Long and Coffield wpuld be amazing.
Bytel and Caldwell developing into contested ball beasts over next 2 years feeding a team of runners

Bring it on
Last edited by fugazi on Tue 22 Sep 2020 6:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nee!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

I will show you f****** nothing and don't accuse me of trolling. Read all the f****** threads and you will see itn is

well know that crouch is a crap kick ffs and doesn't kick goals. :roll: :roll:

outside66
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 4:18pm
outside66 wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 4:06pm

Jack Steele came to us after 2 years at the Giants where he had played 17 games (Calwell has played 11 in as many seasons). Steele's first year with us saw him play 20 games, average 22.1 touches (his average this year funnily enough) and touch under 8 tackles per game. In other words, he had an immediate impact and was AFL ready. If Caldwell is seen as a similar mould then that's exactly what we need.
One really, really big difference, we were a basket case and at the beginning of a rebuild phase so we had no other choice but to play kids.

When you are a finals side, you still have to develop the kids but you do it very strategically, i.e. when your team has an easy kill to feast on.

Put it this way, if we were to plonk Jye and Bytel in next year's side at the same time every week then we would put our top 4 capability at risk.
If the kids are good enough then they select themselves. Hunter Clark and Coffield are two players in their third year who are now firmly entrenched in our best 22 and arguably in our top 5-10 most influential players. Bottom line is that if you can play then your age is irrelevant. Anyways, blokes who know far more than you or I will get who they think is the best fit for our team - both for the short and longer term.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 6:01pm

I will show you f****** nothing and don't accuse me of trolling. Read all the f****** threads and you will see itn is

You have proven that you are a troll. You make outlandish statements and when someone calls you out on them you start swearing. I will ask you again, back up your statement with proof.

You said "well know that crouch is a crap kick ffs and doesn't kick goals. :roll: :roll: " That doesn't cut it Saynta.

sks023
Club Player

SaintPelican66 wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 6:47pm

You have proven that you are a troll. You make outlandish statements and when someone calls you out on them you start swearing. I will ask you again, back up your statement with proof.

You said "well know that crouch is a crap kick ffs and doesn't kick goals. :roll: :roll: " That doesn't cut it Saynta.
Crouch Finished at 63% disposal efficiency for the season. Compare that to Seb Ross going at 67%

SaintPelican66
Club Player

sks023 wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 7:09pm

Crouch Finished at 63% disposal efficiency for the season. Compare that to Seb Ross going at 67%
Inside extractors don't have time and space to kick it lace out like the outside runners. Don't forget that.

sks023
Club Player

[/quote]

Inside extractors don't have time and space to kick it lace out like the outside runners. Don't forget that.
[/quote]
Compared to the top dozen or so 63% is not great

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Crouch has been named as one of the three worst kicks in the top hundred possession winners and he has kicked just two goals this year for a total of 34 goals in 95 odd games.

As I said a crap kick who doesn't hurt you on the scoreboard. Overpriced spud. Imhfo

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I don't regard anything you post as f****** worthy of a reply but I have anyway , so whether I cut it with you or not I don't give a rats. :roll: :roll: :wink:

SaintPelican66
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 9:10pm

I don't regard anything you post as f****** worthy of a reply but I have anyway , so whether I cut it with you or not I don't give a rats. :roll: :roll: :wink:
You've been called out and you can't handle it. Next time when you rubbish a player you might think about backing it up instead of just saying "Read all the f****** threads and you will see itn is " as per above. :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

asiu
Saintsational Legend

whys everyone saying this lad has 1 years development

drafted in 18 yea ?

19 + 20 =‘s 2

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
SaintPelican66
Club Player

Have a look at Brad Crouch's stats and you decide...

https://finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?PlayerID=2344

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Heres another warm & fuzzy for you SOC I went to school & even played in a premership with Jyes oldman & yeah believe it not he was a saints supporter as well & just like the Guerra story mate it's actually f---ing true :wink:

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

We need elite users...
Caldwell's disposal efficiency is very average (60% odd) - I'm not sure that he has what it takes?
Is he good/cool under pressure - does he rush his kicks/handballs - what's the reason for his low DE?

He's probably a little bit more "outside" than Bytel, he's not just "inside" ... so, he might have more strings to his bow, compared to Bytel?
Last edited by samoht on Fri 25 Sep 2020 11:15am, edited 1 time in total.

johnearljames
Club Player

Caldwell is a lock to come to us.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

johnearljames wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 11:15am Caldwell is a lock to come to us.
As long as he ticks all the boxes ... we have Savage with elite disposal - he averaged 83% DE last year - not even getting a look in.
Caldwell is averaging low 60%.