Deliberate out of bounds rule

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Deliberate out of bounds rule

If memory serves me right the AFL had a rule years ago where punching the ball out of bounds deliberately from ruck contests resulted in a free kick, and maybe that rule still exists, I just haven't seen it enforced much if at all.

In Friday night's semi Richmond defenders regularly punched the ball over the line and it occurred to me that a very strong case can be mounted to declare this as "deliberate out bounds", no different when players get pinged for either kicking or handballing the footy out over the boundary line.

Such a rule would be in accord with the AFL's policy for the ball to stay in play as much as possible and therefore force defenders to punch the ball in a different direction. It certainly would lead to fewer stoppages and possibly higher scoring.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
older saint
SS Life Member

Re: Deliberate out of bounds rule

Punched OOB on the full from a throw in or ruck contest is a free kick, as is on the full for a rushed behind from a ruck contest.
In a marking contest it cannot be deliberate.

Interpretation is did not do everything in the players power to keep the ball in. Some Friday were obvious - Howard, some were terrible - including the one on Broad ( i think) which resulted in a goal for Battle).

Umpires lack a feel for the game. Hannebery one for example one on one contest toe pokes out in front as feels quicker than his opponent to run on to the ball , it rolls out and called deliberate. Player actually would have been better off if the ball stayed in. Umpiring was terrible Friday and it is a sad state of affairs if any of those 3 get the GF. Thank goodness one if retiring - need to

Winmar7
Club Player

Re: Deliberate out of bounds rule

It doesn't help when the throw ins are so shallow, though I don't think it's a tactic any longer.

As for the rule generally, it has become much stricter this year, pretty much any kick to space which results in the ball being out of bounds is ruled deliberate. Players don't even protest anymore, but it is one that really grates me, Hannebery a perfect example...