Hamstring Awareness

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Hamstring Awareness

Do you consider our recruitment of players with known hamstring injury issues risqué? Now, as we speak of Treloar, we may have potentially another.

Already we have Crouch, Hannebury and Jones as known vulnerabilities. Treloar looks like another.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hamstring Awareness

Personal opinion... I always thought the AFL was behind the times a bit when it comes to management of this type of stuff.

AFL is such a demanding game... especially for the midfielders who more often then not work on a high intensity then rest... go all out, catch your breath type of style.

The heightened risk is always not so much first 2-3 games... but thereafter when bodies get worn down and tired over time.
In my opinion... it’s an especially risky period for the players like Hannebery, Jones, Crouch etc that have a history of these types of injuries.

One of the most fascinating things I read this year was in the lead up to the Bulldogs final. It was reported that the week off was especially beneficial for Hannebery who was then able to do all the prep needed to get himself right and ready to go.

Came out and played his best game in 2 years for us... close to BOG when he got hurt in the third following a courageous act.

Anyway... my point is: Hannebery, Jones, Crouch, Treloar if we get them: give them a week off every three 3-4 weeks and let them focus that time specifically on rehabbing and doing the things they need to do to remain injury free

IMO we’re just too reactive... playing players until they inevitability get over-tired and injured again.

A guy like Hannebery... I’d be more than happy to give him 4 weeks off over the year if it meant we could get 14-15 games out of him as opposed to 8-9

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote: Thu 05 Nov 2020 3:32pm
Anyway... my point is: Hannebery, Jones, Crouch, Treloar if we get them: give them a week off every three 3-4 weeks and let them focus that time specifically on rehabbing and doing the things they need to do to remain injury free

IMO we’re just too reactive... playing players until they inevitability get over-tired and injured again.

A guy like Hannebery... I’d be more than happy to give him 4 weeks off over the year if it meant we could get 14-15 games out of him as opposed to 8-9
I was thinking the same thing this year, mainly for Hannebery. He doesn’t have to play every game. Give him a week off every month. Just make sure he’s good to go come finals time.
Then again, I assume the fitness staff have got a bit more of an idea than me.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Clearly our plan is to get enough good midfielders we can have them play 4 weeks then miss 3 weeks with hamstrings all on rotation. Am I right?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote: Thu 05 Nov 2020 6:45pm Clearly our plan is to get enough good midfielders we can have them play 4 weeks then miss 3 weeks with hamstrings all on rotation. Am I right?
It can't be..it just can't be...

mid-fielders now being rotated like medium-pace bowlers? But I just get the feeling you might be right. So our best 22 conversations are now a little warped by this factor.

Still, it is hard to swallow that these guys are on huge money, but only expected to play 2/3 of the games, and then, be rested for significant chunks of the games they are picked to play.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
asiu
Saintsational Legend

i’m thinking the resting / revolving of players
is a science we don’t explore enough
and its where the afl is quickly evolving towards

probably a main ‘playing’ squad of 30
instead of playing the best 22 until one falls
and fresh (but cold*) legs are called up

not up with the pace of the game
in the seniors

Parker as an example , this year
... he was off the pace

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Josh Battle
Club Player

Goose is king wrote: Thu 05 Nov 2020 6:45pm Clearly our plan is to get enough good midfielders we can have them play 4 weeks then miss 3 weeks with hamstrings all on rotation. Am I right?
You’re sort of on the right track. The plan is to have a soft tissue injury count significantly under the industry average. This can be achieved and we can time our run into the grand final

The ideal scenario sees the list manager along with the coaches and fitness staff managing the players so brilliantly that all our best 22 are available at the pointy end of the season. This doesn’t happen by accident as you all know. We’ve got the performance manager coming back from his holiday as soon as the 2021 fixture is announced. He’ll time our run into the finals so that we have the least amount of injuries of all the finals sides.

We’re employing a bloke who reads astrological charts to reduce the risks of playing guys on bad luck days ( based on their dates of birth of course). His specialty is bad luck causing soft tissue injuries on each individual. He’s got a pretty good record of predicting the Grand Final outcome as well and his CV states that his accuracy ratio is the equal of any cuttlefish or octopus in history

....where’s the sarcasm alert :mrgreen: 8-)