Round 1 team guess - post injuries

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Round 1 team guess - post injuries

Before the next players gets injured after being hit by a falling turd from a plane toilet or suffers an eye injury from an out of control seagull.

B: Webster, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Coffield, Highmore, Sinclair
C:Billings, Ross, Hill
HF: Butler, Membrey, Battle
F: Higgins, Wood, Gresham
Foll: Hunter, Steele, Clark
Int: McKernan, Long, Jones,Lonie

Emerg: Bytel, Carlisle , Dunstan, McKenzie

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Re: Round 1 team guess - post injuries

older saint wrote: Tue 16 Mar 2021 10:43am Before the next players gets injured after being hit by a falling turd from a plane toilet or suffers an eye injury from an out of control seagull.

B: Long, Howard, Wilkie
F: Higgins, Carslile, Gresham
Int: McKernan, Bytel, Jones,Lonie

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

McKernan will play forward, in Kings absence

Wood will probably get a gig as another forward?

Winmar7
Club Player

B: Coffield Howard Wilkie
HB: Webster Carlisle/Highmore Sinclair
C: Battle Steele Hill
HF: Higgins Membrey Billings
F: Lonie Wood Butler
R: Hunter Ross Gresham
I: McKernan Clark Long Jones

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

If Highmore plays in Carlisle's spot then I'm going to jump on the conspiracy bandwagon.

I don't think Ratts will play both Highmore and McKernan so I think McKernan will go in as a sole ruckman with cameos from other tall dudes in the side.

Wood will most likely take King's spot and other taller dudes might float down for a grab here and there.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Personally I don't think Highmore gets a game Round 1.
Purely because I can't see us going with McKernan, Wood, Hunter and Highmore all at the same time.
Unfortunately for Highmore the other three are pretty much needed due to injury and Carlisle can get a game instead of him.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
darylcowie
Club Player

older saint wrote: Tue 16 Mar 2021 10:43am Before the next players gets injured after being hit by a falling turd from a plane toilet or suffers an eye injury from an out of control seagull.

It doesn't bode well for Carlisle, Dunstan or McKenzie if they still don'y play, despite the long list of injuries it looks like Carlisle will retire, Dunstan will head back to Adelaide and McKenzie will head nack to the "burbs.

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I liked what I saw of Highmore in the practice matches, but if he plays ahead of Carlisle round 1 then we might as well not even have Jake on the list, it would be madness.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Webster Howard Wilkie
Coffield Highmore Long
Hill Ross Clark
Higgins Battle Butler
Lonie McKernan Membrey

Hunter Steele Jones

Inter: Sinclair Gresham Billings Bytel

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

The Carlisle selection yes/no is a quandary, with many theories as to why he may be over looked. His attitude has always been questioned, but for me I think it’s his lack of mobility and inability to get to contests.

Do we play Highmore over Carlisle? Highmore appears a reasonable matchup for one of the GWS talls particularly given the weather forecast. But how is he going to go against the better quality tall forwards in the coming weeks? If Ratten was giving Jake a message, surely he understands where he stands now?

Will make for an interesting selection...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 16 Mar 2021 1:49pm If Highmore plays in Carlisle's spot then I'm going to jump on the conspiracy bandwagon.

I don't think Ratts will play both Highmore and McKernan so I think McKernan will go in as a sole ruckman with cameos from other tall dudes in the side.

Wood will most likely take King's spot and other taller dudes might float down for a grab here and there.
The Club and Rats have already told Hunter that he is debuting for us in round one.

So unless he gets injured before, he is playing against GWS

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 16 Mar 2021 4:07pm The Carlisle selection yes/no is a quandary, with many theories as to why he may be over looked. His attitude has always been questioned, but for me I think it’s his lack of mobility and inability to get to contests.

Do we play Highmore over Carlisle? Highmore appears a reasonable matchup for one of the GWS talls particularly given the weather forecast. But how is he going to go against the better quality tall forwards in the coming weeks? If Ratten was giving Jake a message, surely he understands where he stands now?

After reading your post I checked the weather.

That is an amazing amount of rain in the days prior and it means that talls are less important. So I feel better about not having King now.

Though it might not rain on game day afternoon. Will probably be heavy track though.

It could also mean that someone like Dunstan gets selected.

Our game style of moving the ball quickly forward is probably a plus too.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Tue 16 Mar 2021 4:44pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 16 Mar 2021 1:49pm If Highmore plays in Carlisle's spot then I'm going to jump on the conspiracy bandwagon.

The Club and Rats have already told Hunter that he is debuting for us in round one.

There you go, hold onto ya hats. I would have thought bringing in too many new and green players was risky but I suppose the cupboard is bare.

Is it also an indication of being able to match up on an equally inexperienced ruck division by GWS.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

I can’t see Carlisle getting a game against the mobile Himmelberg or Finlayson (luckily Riccardi is injured)

More importantly who gets Greene (Toby), I would say first choice is Wilkie then Webster then McKenzie, not Ben Long

Fqf

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
vacuous space
SS Life Member

I'm confused by the confusion over Carlisle. We dropped him during the season last year. He was supposedly shopped around with no takers and brought back on a one-year deal. We talked Frawley out of retirement and then drafted Highmore.

We clearly do not have confidence in Carlisle as a best-22 player. If the coaches select Highmore, then I think it send a pretty clear message that they believe Highmore brings more to the team than Carlisle. We played Clark, Coffield, Long and Paton in defence last year over a bunch of established senior players. I don't see omitting Carlisle as particularly different.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote: Tue 16 Mar 2021 5:50pm I'm confused by the confusion over Carlisle. We dropped him during the season last year. He was supposedly shopped around with no takers and brought back on a one-year deal. We talked Frawley out of retirement and then drafted Highmore.

We clearly do not have confidence in Carlisle as a best-22 player. If the coaches select Highmore, then I think it send a pretty clear message that they believe Highmore brings more to the team than Carlisle. We played Clark, Coffield, Long and Paton in defence last year over a bunch of established senior players. I don't see omitting Carlisle as particularly different.
But why sign him then? And secondly, why would he sign on to play in the 2s? Doesn’t seem his style.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote: Tue 16 Mar 2021 5:53pmBut why sign him then? And secondly, why would he sign on to play in the 2s? Doesn’t seem his style.
We sign him as depth. He signs because his alternative is playing in a state league.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 16 Mar 2021 5:13pm

There you go, hold onto ya hats. I would have thought bringing in too many new and green players was risky but I suppose the cupboard is bare.

Is it also an indication of being able to match up on an equally inexperienced ruck division by GWS.
Though only Highmore and Hunter will be green at AFL level.

McKernan, Wood and Higgins our other likely debutants are all experienced at AFL level.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Tue 16 Mar 2021 9:25pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 16 Mar 2021 5:13pm

Though only Highmore and Hunter will be green at AFL level.

McKernan, Wood and Higgins our other likely debutants are all experienced at AFL level.
Could these new guys be seeing the club praised for more very astute recruiting? Here's hoping, McKernan's alone is already looking inspired.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well at least for round 1 it means that our team will be more competitive than if we had brought in a bunch of kids only.

Though we also have experienced players like the out of favour Carlisle not playing.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 16 Mar 2021 4:07pm The Carlisle selection yes/no is a quandary, with many theories as to why he may be over looked. His attitude has always been questioned, but for me I think it’s his lack of mobility and inability to get to contests.

Really..OK...I just look at that loss to Melbourne last year, and Petracca (sp?) and our backs getting mauled, and I cant help feeling angry for Carlisle not being there. If ever a couple could have chosen a better time to have a baby, last year’s final was a good example. What a miss. As Alec Baldwin said in his famous speech, “Good father? I don’t give a sh#t. Go home and play with your kids.You’re here to sell, selll, sell...”

Everything about his style is redundant of pride and missstep..the long sleeves, pulled up, tatts, etc., etc., we all know it...body language etc.,
But we could say it of Dusty...maybe even Buddy..in a superficial sense. At the actual level of playing and decision and effort...that might be where the coaches see more things. I thought it was just laconic...and kind of cool..duh...
But your post, that he just can’t match up well, maybe, that gives me a chance to rationalize it.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote: Tue 16 Mar 2021 5:50pm I'm confused by the confusion over Carlisle. We dropped him during the season last year. He was supposedly shopped around with no takers and brought back on a one-year deal. We talked Frawley out of retirement and then drafted Highmore.

Sadly I think with Carlisle it’s an attitudinal thing - or a perceived one.

I hear he’s shown a distaste for playing anywhere other than his preferred position in defence and may have made a rod for his own back in the process.

For instance, given our injuries at the moment we could really use a talented big man in attack (to stand in for King) or second ruck (to cover for the absent Marshall and Ryder). But he may not be up for that.

Personally, I’d play him. He’s good enough. It would be on the understanding that he plays where the club asks him and needs him to play.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Wed 17 Mar 2021 12:16pm

I hear he’s shown a distaste for playing anywhere other than his preferred position in defence and may have made a rod for his own back in the process.

For instance, given our injuries at the moment we could really use a talented big man in attack (to stand in for King) or second ruck (to cover for the absent Marshall and Ryder). But he may not be up for that.

Personally, I’d play him. He’s good enough. It would be on the understanding that he plays where the club asks him and needs him to play.
I just hope we didn’t make a deal with the devil, which allows him to pick and choose. Has anyone seen him in practice sessions presenting as a forward in drills?

He should be a start up forward in Kings absence, but if he is only gonna do his ‘thang’, that sucks for us a little bit I would say.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Not a lot of love for Jake on this forum which sux more than a bit.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 17 Mar 2021 3:12pm
bigcarl wrote: Wed 17 Mar 2021 12:16pm

I just hope we didn’t make a deal with the devil, which allows him to pick and choose. Has anyone seen him in practice sessions presenting as a forward in drills?

He should be a start up forward in Kings absence, but if he is only gonna do his ‘thang’, that sucks for us a little bit I would say.
Maybe at the time he came to us we had to make assurances as the cost of getting a good player to an average club