Former filth player rates our recycled players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Former filth player rates our recycled players

Need a laugh,then read this crap.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 4fe8b3a185

Memo Brett Ratten.

It took less than 30 seconds of last week’s flogging against Essendon for one of your highest-paid players – Bradley Hill – to give off the worst possible example of team defence.

I’m certain that the first passage of play – and Hill’s actions – would have featured in what would have been a brutal team review.

Hill, who earns around $900,000 per season, wasn’t the only player at fault, but his lack of awareness from the first half minute of the game set the tone.

Essendon’s Zach Merrett won the ball on the wing and kicked across his body to fellow centre bounce midfielder Jake Stringer, who found himself unmanned in the true centre half forward position.

How does this happen 25 seconds into the game?

Stringer’s opponent was Jack Steele, who was caught ball watching – a negative in itself.

But, the bigger concern was Hill’s inability to leave his opponent Nik Cox on the opposite side wing and squeeze onto Stringer to help the team stank of a ‘me over we’ attitude.

A collection of selfish team decisions manifested to a point whereby Essendon kicked 143 points – the highest score conceded by the Saints since 2016.

St Kilda’s team defence was flawed; their selflessness even worse.

The players must be embarrassed by what happened.

In their next six hours of football, the Saints take on West Coast, Richmond and Port Adelaide.

If they can’t get their act together, 2021 will be gone before they know it.

It’s time to look at the Saints’ bold trade strategies in recent seasons, where they brought in a significant number of established players from rival clubs.

St Kilda believed it was in the premiership window. It thought the cake was baked and that the players coming in were going to be the icing on top.

The Saints don’t look like that now.

RIGHT TRADES OR DAMAGED GOODS?

Mick McGuane takes a look at St Kilda’s ready-made AFL acquisitions over the past three seasons, what they need to do to improve, and whether bringing them in was the correct decision in the first place.

BRADLEY HILL

As Leigh Matthews used to always say, there is no excuse to not lay a tackle when you have got leg speed.

Hill can run, so he has NO EXCUSE.

To not even lay one tackle against an opposition that had 117 more disposals is not good enough, even for a player whose tackling has never been his forte.

Some of Hill’s ball use was wide and inexcusable in the Essendon game.

He is bringing home a bigger pay packet than the likes of Joel Selwood and Rory Sloane, who play footy as if their lives depend on it. Hill doesn’t!

MICK’S GRILL: It’s time for Hill to start justifying his income … NOW.

ZAK JONES

The former Swan attended the second-most Saints’ centre bounces behind Jack Steele last year. This year he is ranked 5th.

He is not an A-grade midfielder, but his speed brings a point of difference compared to Steele, Brad Crouch and Seb Ross.

The chaos you don’t want is his capacity to rush/panic with his disposal, where he plays as if he has a haze around him.

MICK’S GRILL: Jade Gresham’s season-ending injury might provide Jones with greater opportunities … but he needs greater poise with the footy.

PADDY RYDER

One of the Saints’ most important players.

He’s not a high-possession ruckman, but his ability to provide his mids with first possession is essential.

His soft hands and his awareness of space cannot be underestimated.

The balance of a player taking personal leave versus his obligation to the team is always a very sensitive subject, but the Saints couldn’t be happier to have him back at the club this week.

St Kilda can’t get away with part-time ruckmen, especially with Nic Naitanui, Toby Nankervis and a combination of Scott Lycett and Peter Ladhams to come in the next three weeks.

We saw the measure of Ryder’s importance to the team in last year’s elimination final.

MICK’S GRILL: The Saints need to fast-track Ryder and Rowan Marshall back into the senior side as soon as their match-fitness allows.

DAN HANNEBERY

Another year, another soft-tissue injury.

Dan Hannebery has played 13 games across two-and-a-bit seasons with the Saints after a decorated career in Sydney.

Has Hannebery’s body failed him or has the game gone beyond him?

He’s suffered another calf setback and won’t rejoin the main group for four more weeks.

The heat must go back on those responsible for Hannebery’s recruitment to Moorabbin and whether they did their due diligence.

Was the leadership vacuum at the Saints at the time so bad they had no choice but to take a punt on a player whose best appeared to be past him?

MICK’S GRILL: The question is harsh but simple … is Hannebery doing everything possible from a professional point of view to hold up his end of the bargain?

DOUGAL HOWARD

He is St Kilda’s best trade acquisition across the past few seasons.

As a key defender he is elite in a number of key measurements. He averages 19.7 disposals, has gained 557 metres, and takes 3.7 intercepts per game.

He has welcomed the added responsibility of being the designated kicker after a behind, even though he would love to have one back from last week that resulted in a Cale Hooker goal.

MICK’S GRILL: Tick. You can build a good defence around him.

JACK HIGGINS

The former Tiger livewire was brought to the Saints to increase scoring power and bring more versatility to the team.

Damien Hardwick wasn’t afraid to use him as a centre bounce player at stages of 2018.

Ratten has used him there eight times – six against Essendon – but we also know he is an opportunistic forward who can create something out of nothing.

MICK’S GRILL: I’d like to see the Saints use him as a ‘spitter’ (a starting mid with a licence to charge forward at the appropriate time).

BRAD CROUCH

Like Hannebery, he can play the game, but let’s hope his body stands up to it.

Twice in the past six seasons – 2015 and 2018 – Crouch played zero games because of injury.

Hopefully, the club did the due diligence in terms of his body and his application given an off-field indiscretion that saw him suspended for the first two weeks of the season.

It’s hard to judge him after only one game in a bad loss, but the positive was that he applied more pressure acts (23) than any other Saints player.

MICK’S GRILL: On a healthy long-term deal at around $600,000 per season, the pressure is on Crouch to perform. It is risk versus reward for the Saints

DAN BUTLER

Where has Butler’s ground-ball craft gone? It seems non-existent as he had no ground-ball wins in the first two weeks and only two last week.

Where is his once-strong tackling pressure?

He has had ONE scoring shot this year – a goal against GWS in Round 1.

He is a shadow of the player who was in All-Australian discussions last year.

His ranking points have dropped from 86 to 31 points and his scoring involvements have fallen from 4.8 to 1.8.

MICK’S GRILL: Have opposition teams worked him out? Perhaps. To me, it comes back to his intent, his work rate and his ability to get busy again.

MASON WOOD

What did the Saints see in Mason Wood that the Kangaroos couldn’t?

He has played 67 games since his 2014 debut – with 18 in one season (2019) – for 76 goals.

I question whether the Saints would have been better off giving his spot on the list to a kid who might turn out to be a long-term prospect.

Or were the Saints telling us the talent pool was thin?

MICK’S GRILL: Is he going to be part of St Kilda’s next premiership side? Not for mine. So why recruit him?

SHAUN MCKERNAN

This was an insurance option and it has worked out that way with the absence of some key big men early in the season

Last week he worked in tandem with Jake Carlisle in the ruck against another makeshift ruck option in Peter Wright, and the Saints still got smashed in centre bounce clearances.

MICK’S GRILL: You could see why the Saints picked him up, but he won’t be in their best team when Ryder and Marshall return, unless there is an injury to a key forward.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: Former filth player rates our recycled players

A very sound appraisal of the Saints recruiting, in short it has been a 'stop gap' short sighted approach.

The only consistent hits have been Howard & Ryder. Butler was good last year, but has not been seen this year. Crouch may come good but his history of injuries suggests he is another major risk. Hannebrey has been an utter embarrassment to the club.

They have the chance to recruit smartly at this years mid seasons draft with up to 4 positions available on the list. There general draft recruiting in recent times has been pretty good, so hopefully they get the mid & end of season drafts right.

In addition it looks like we for the first time will have 3 or 4 NGA prospects to draft this year. A speedy small forward/midfielder in Kyle, running HBF's both good in the air in McLennan & Beilby, a quick athletic wingman in Peris and a solid midfielder in Windhanger.

Plus the Peckett twins & Tom Grant as father sons.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Thu 08 Apr 2021 6:52pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I hope Mick's Grill doesn't know what he's talking about because It reads like Gags is a pretty ordinary List Manager.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

I like how Brad Hill wage starts at 700k on Monday and by Thursday newspaper articles are now quoting his wage at 900k if he has anther bad game will they then quote 2mil a year man?

Bowey Boy
Club Player

A very tough 6 hours coming up apparently.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Not an up to date appraisal but can't see how it is all crap?

I don't like either ex of the Filths "Micks" articles.

Brad Hills wage seems to rise by $50K a day at the moment but there is also a lot of truth in what is written in this article.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 08 Apr 2021 4:16pm Not an up to date appraisal but can't see how it is all crap?

Brad Hills wage seems to rise by $50K a day at the moment but there is also a lot of truth in what is written in this article.
f****** Mickie McGuane wouldn't know if his arse was on fire as far as I'm concerned.

Bit early to be writing anyone off especially after praising 80% of them last year for f**** sake. :roll:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I think it's a fair assessment. I really don't have a problem with it.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 08 Apr 2021 8:11pm I think it's a fair assessment. I really don't have a problem with it.
Ok.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Let's shoot the messenger for telling us the emperor's got no clothes.
Mick is one of the most astute football brains going round and if not for his lifestyle choices would be a highly successful senior coach!

Saintly66
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote: Thu 08 Apr 2021 8:23pm Let's shoot the messenger for telling us the emperor's got no clothes.
Mick is one of the most astute football brains going round and if not for his lifestyle choices would be a highly successful senior coach!
This.
Oh no an ex filth player is giving our list s*** let’s have our heads up our backsides. People just can’t handle the truth, most of what he says is accurate.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 08 Apr 2021 7:48pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 08 Apr 2021 4:16pm Not an up to date appraisal but can't see how it is all crap?

f****** Mickie McGuane wouldn't know if his arse was on fire as far as I'm concerned.

Bit early to be writing anyone off especially after praising 80% of them last year for f**** sake. :roll:
What parts of the article do you think are crap?
Do you agree with anything he wrote?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

I like the characterization of Jack Higgins as a spitter. Could work well now Gresh is in rehab. I might have used the phrase mid fielder/forward but Mick has his own lexicon. The goals are now his spittoon, go Jack.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 08 Apr 2021 11:09pm I like the characterization of Jack Higgins as a spitter. Could work well now Gresh is in rehab. I might have used the phrase mid fielder/forward but Mick has his own lexicon. The goals are now his spittoon, go Jack.
I think the recruitment of Higgins has affected Butler's output as Higgins is yet another small forward Butler has to compete with.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

What a joke three games in.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
spert
Saintsational Legend

I'm disappointed that we have little in the way of good young talent being developed and pressing for selection. Bytel is very promising, but nothing much else going on, apart from paying a few lazy or shot players from other clubs a lot of money, with minimal return.

MickThomas
Club Player

Howard with 3.7 intercept marks.
This is a team stat, because Wilkie n Coff are in the pack, putting body into the oppo fwds, so they can't jump.
Dougal comes in over the back.
It's not Howard's skill as much as a tactic rehearsed hundreds of times in training.

The 19 disposals- they're NOT earned mainly, a lot of those are kick-ins, so the stat is meaningless

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 08 Apr 2021 2:50pm Need a laugh,then read this crap.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 4fe8b3a185

Memo Brett Ratten.

It took less than 30 seconds of last week’s flogging against Essendon for one of your highest-paid players – Bradley Hill – to give off the worst possible example of team defence.

I’m certain that the first passage of play – and Hill’s actions – would have featured in what would have been a brutal team review.

Hill, who earns around $900,000 per season, wasn’t the only player at fault, but his lack of awareness from the first half minute of the game set the tone.

Essendon’s Zach Merrett won the ball on the wing and kicked across his body to fellow centre bounce midfielder Jake Stringer, who found himself unmanned in the true centre half forward position.

How does this happen 25 seconds into the game?

Stringer’s opponent was Jack Steele, who was caught ball watching – a negative in itself.

But, the bigger concern was Hill’s inability to leave his opponent Nik Cox on the opposite side wing and squeeze onto Stringer to help the team stank of a ‘me over we’ attitude.

A collection of selfish team decisions manifested to a point whereby Essendon kicked 143 points – the highest score conceded by the Saints since 2016.

St Kilda’s team defence was flawed; their selflessness even worse.

The players must be embarrassed by what happened.

In their next six hours of football, the Saints take on West Coast, Richmond and Port Adelaide.

If they can’t get their act together, 2021 will be gone before they know it.

It’s time to look at the Saints’ bold trade strategies in recent seasons, where they brought in a significant number of established players from rival clubs.

St Kilda believed it was in the premiership window. It thought the cake was baked and that the players coming in were going to be the icing on top.

The Saints don’t look like that now.

RIGHT TRADES OR DAMAGED GOODS?

Mick McGuane takes a look at St Kilda’s ready-made AFL acquisitions over the past three seasons, what they need to do to improve, and whether bringing them in was the correct decision in the first place.

BRADLEY HILL

As Leigh Matthews used to always say, there is no excuse to not lay a tackle when you have got leg speed.

Hill can run, so he has NO EXCUSE.

To not even lay one tackle against an opposition that had 117 more disposals is not good enough, even for a player whose tackling has never been his forte.

Some of Hill’s ball use was wide and inexcusable in the Essendon game.

He is bringing home a bigger pay packet than the likes of Joel Selwood and Rory Sloane, who play footy as if their lives depend on it. Hill doesn’t!

MICK’S GRILL: It’s time for Hill to start justifying his income … NOW.

ZAK JONES

The former Swan attended the second-most Saints’ centre bounces behind Jack Steele last year. This year he is ranked 5th.

He is not an A-grade midfielder, but his speed brings a point of difference compared to Steele, Brad Crouch and Seb Ross.

The chaos you don’t want is his capacity to rush/panic with his disposal, where he plays as if he has a haze around him.

MICK’S GRILL: Jade Gresham’s season-ending injury might provide Jones with greater opportunities … but he needs greater poise with the footy.

PADDY RYDER

One of the Saints’ most important players.

He’s not a high-possession ruckman, but his ability to provide his mids with first possession is essential.

His soft hands and his awareness of space cannot be underestimated.

The balance of a player taking personal leave versus his obligation to the team is always a very sensitive subject, but the Saints couldn’t be happier to have him back at the club this week.

St Kilda can’t get away with part-time ruckmen, especially with Nic Naitanui, Toby Nankervis and a combination of Scott Lycett and Peter Ladhams to come in the next three weeks.

We saw the measure of Ryder’s importance to the team in last year’s elimination final.

MICK’S GRILL: The Saints need to fast-track Ryder and Rowan Marshall back into the senior side as soon as their match-fitness allows.

DAN HANNEBERY

Another year, another soft-tissue injury.

Dan Hannebery has played 13 games across two-and-a-bit seasons with the Saints after a decorated career in Sydney.

Has Hannebery’s body failed him or has the game gone beyond him?

He’s suffered another calf setback and won’t rejoin the main group for four more weeks.

The heat must go back on those responsible for Hannebery’s recruitment to Moorabbin and whether they did their due diligence.

Was the leadership vacuum at the Saints at the time so bad they had no choice but to take a punt on a player whose best appeared to be past him?

MICK’S GRILL: The question is harsh but simple … is Hannebery doing everything possible from a professional point of view to hold up his end of the bargain?

DOUGAL HOWARD

He is St Kilda’s best trade acquisition across the past few seasons.

As a key defender he is elite in a number of key measurements. He averages 19.7 disposals, has gained 557 metres, and takes 3.7 intercepts per game.

He has welcomed the added responsibility of being the designated kicker after a behind, even though he would love to have one back from last week that resulted in a Cale Hooker goal.

MICK’S GRILL: Tick. You can build a good defence around him.

JACK HIGGINS

The former Tiger livewire was brought to the Saints to increase scoring power and bring more versatility to the team.

Damien Hardwick wasn’t afraid to use him as a centre bounce player at stages of 2018.

Ratten has used him there eight times – six against Essendon – but we also know he is an opportunistic forward who can create something out of nothing.

MICK’S GRILL: I’d like to see the Saints use him as a ‘spitter’ (a starting mid with a licence to charge forward at the appropriate time).

BRAD CROUCH

Like Hannebery, he can play the game, but let’s hope his body stands up to it.

Twice in the past six seasons – 2015 and 2018 – Crouch played zero games because of injury.

Hopefully, the club did the due diligence in terms of his body and his application given an off-field indiscretion that saw him suspended for the first two weeks of the season.

It’s hard to judge him after only one game in a bad loss, but the positive was that he applied more pressure acts (23) than any other Saints player.

MICK’S GRILL: On a healthy long-term deal at around $600,000 per season, the pressure is on Crouch to perform. It is risk versus reward for the Saints

DAN BUTLER

Where has Butler’s ground-ball craft gone? It seems non-existent as he had no ground-ball wins in the first two weeks and only two last week.

Where is his once-strong tackling pressure?

He has had ONE scoring shot this year – a goal against GWS in Round 1.

He is a shadow of the player who was in All-Australian discussions last year.

His ranking points have dropped from 86 to 31 points and his scoring involvements have fallen from 4.8 to 1.8.

MICK’S GRILL: Have opposition teams worked him out? Perhaps. To me, it comes back to his intent, his work rate and his ability to get busy again.

MASON WOOD

What did the Saints see in Mason Wood that the Kangaroos couldn’t?

He has played 67 games since his 2014 debut – with 18 in one season (2019) – for 76 goals.

I question whether the Saints would have been better off giving his spot on the list to a kid who might turn out to be a long-term prospect.

Or were the Saints telling us the talent pool was thin?

MICK’S GRILL: Is he going to be part of St Kilda’s next premiership side? Not for mine. So why recruit him?

SHAUN MCKERNAN

This was an insurance option and it has worked out that way with the absence of some key big men early in the season

Last week he worked in tandem with Jake Carlisle in the ruck against another makeshift ruck option in Peter Wright, and the Saints still got smashed in centre bounce clearances.

MICK’S GRILL: You could see why the Saints picked him up, but he won’t be in their best team when Ryder and Marshall return, unless there is an injury to a key forward.
Bump.

If Mick didn't look silly when he posted this rubbish, he ceraintly looks it now... IMHFO, that is.