saints bury toasters.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saints bury toasters.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 05fff4a604

AFL 2021: St Kilda’s late-game flurry buries West Coast

It looked like St Kilda was in for more pain, but a blistering performance by Brad Hill and a Dan Butler-inspired flurry has kickstarted the Saints’ 2021 season.
Kane Pitman
5 min read
April 10, 2021 - 8:50PM
NCA NewsWire
2 comments
Bradley Hill gave the critics some food for thought with a blistering performance.

An irresistible St Kilda outfit has stunned West Coast to reverse a 33-point third

quarter deficit and breathe new life into their 2021 campaign.

The Eagles wilted under the Saints’ feverish pressure and relentless attack on the footy, the home team running away 20-point winners after kicking the last eight goals of the game.

Dan Butler inspired the Saints’ fightback.

Dominating possession for the bulk of the game, the Saints struggled to get reward on the scoreboard, before a Dan Butler-inspired third quarter burst ignited the home crowd.

Only inaccuracy cost the Saints the lead at the final change, eight shots at goal in the last 10 minutes resulting in a wasteful 3.5, Butler saving their blushes with two in that stretch.

The avalanche continued to start the fourth, with goals to Max King and Tim Membrey giving the Saints their first lead since the 23-minute mark of the first quarter.
Big Max King kicked a back for the Saints.

Captain Jack Steele iced the game for the Saints.

As the goals piled up, it was the captain Jack Steele who put the icing on the cake at the 22-minute mark, snapping one home from the top of the goalsquare to cap off a 33-disposal, best-on-ground performance.

A dominant five goal game from King and bounce back performances from Butler and Bradley Hill ensured the “embarrassed” Saints from seven days earlier responded in the most emphatic fashion possible.

Coming off a 75-point belting from Essendon, St. Kilda coach Brett Ratten was thrilled with his side’s response.

“To think what we dished up last week and to then play like that and stick to the task when we could’ve given up, I think the players knew what they did last week and win, lose or draw we have to bring that,” Ratten said, postgame.

“You’re never as bad as you think you are and you’re never as good as you think you are.

“We’re going to lose games of footy, every team does, it’s just the way you go about it, and we weren’t pleased last week so to see the response was really pleasing.

“Like anything, you have to take accountability.

“We had a team meeting, and the players knew the evidence was on the screen.

“There was a bit around our system as well that didn’t support the contest and we changed it slightly but there’s no doubt the players knew, and they responded brilliantly.

“All credit to them, they did a fantastic job.”

The Saints will have little time to celebrate, with a Thursday night blockbuster against reigning premier Richmond up next.

“We played a way that we want to play (against the Eagles),” he said.

“They’re (Richmond) the best in the business, but for us it’s about backing up.

“That’s the challenge.

“It’s not about changing because it’s Richmond, we’ve got a style of play that we want to go about.

“It’s a huge challenge, looking forward to it but it’s about us trying to recapture that pressure. We’ve got to try and come to the party.”

In a further boost, Ratten refused to rule out big man Paddy Ryder from coming into the line-up, with a decision to made during the week.
Rowan Marshall looked in trouble, before toiling manfully against the might of NicNat.

MARSHALL’S MIRACULOUS RECOVERY

Making his first appearance of the season, star ruckman Rowan Marshall’s day appeared over by the midway point of the second quarter. Recovering from a stress related injury in his right foot, Marshall hobbled from the ground after competing in a contest on the far side of the ground.

Removing his boot and in visible pain, Marshall went down the race seemingly done for the day. To the relief of St Kilda fans, Marshall emerged from halftime to take his spot at the centre bounce, playing out the game.

Ratten confirmed the scare was not a concern.

“He’s OK. He just felt a bit of a twist,” Ratten said.

“With the foot, you probably are concerned, so we went down and just checked that, but he was fine.

“Because they took a while to take him down, we just said take your time, we don’t need to rush this and force him out there.

“He could have come on with five minutes to go but we just said ‘look after him and get him through’.”
Bradley Hill was in everything for the Saints. Picture: Getty Images
Bradley Hill was in everything for the Saints. Picture: Getty Images
BRADLEY BOUNCES BACK

After copping criticism for his slow start to the season, Bradley Hill was back to his damaging best on Saturday evening. Known for his aerobic ability, Hill provided constant drive to finish with 26 disposals and 510 metres gained in his best performance of the young 2021 season.

Ratten called criticism of his running machine “unfair”.

“Some of it you could say is unfair. I could sit here and defend him to the hilt, but I think it was a collective group last week,” Ratten said.

“His ball use wasn’t perfect against Melbourne, but I think for people to just pick one player out, you could have put a basket of 15 in there and I thought it was a bit unfair just to put him in there and highlight him.”
Isiah Winder celebrates with Josh Kennedy after joining the first kick, first goal club. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images
Isiah Winder celebrates with Josh Kennedy after joining the first kick, first goal club. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images
EAGLES EARLY INJURY BLOW

Replacing former skipper Shannon Hurn as the sub, West Coast’s Isiah Winder joined the

exclusive first kick, first goal club in the second quarter, taking advantage of a Hill error. Attempting to clear the defensive fifty, Hill fired off an errant handball as the three Eagles closed in on him. Deflected by Kennedy, the ball fell into the hands of Winder, who calmly snapped it home from the top of the goalsquare before being mobbed by his teammates.

PETRUCCELLE’S CRUMBING MAGIC

Speedy Eagles forward Jack Petruccelle was looked threatening all afternoon, producing a goal of the week contender in the second quarter. Executing a one-two with Jack Redden at the edge of the centre square, Petruccelle burned away from Callum Wilkie and Zak Jones before executing a miraculous inside out checkside goal on his right foot at full speed from 40 metres out. Pure class.

GOALS

Saints: King 5, Butler 3, Billings 2, Membrey 2, McKenzie, Steele, Higgins

Eagles: Petruccelle 4, Allen 2, Darling 2, Kennedy 2, Cripps, Ryan, Winder

KANE PITMAN’S BEST

Saints: Steele, King, Crouch, Butler, Hill, Billings, Jones

Eagles: McGovern, Kelly, Naitanui, Petruccelle, Redden, Sheed

KANE PITMAN’S VOTES

3 — J Steele

2 — M King

1 — B Hill

INJURIES

Saints: Nil

Eagles: Hurn (calf)
More Coverage
McGuane: Has Saints’ recruiting been a massive bust? Hurt locker: Saints’ injury crisis deepens, Blues scare Big money man in the gun as injuries hit St Kilda

UMPIRES: Andrew Stephens, David Harris, Brent Wallace

VENUE: Marvel Stadium

avid
Club Player

Re: saints bury toasters.

Thanks Saynta. After any victory like that it was always a 'two paper day'.
I can't bring myself to buy the heraldsun any more, so you've made my two-paper day with this post.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: saints bury toasters.

avid wrote: Sun 11 Apr 2021 1:08pm Thanks Saynta. After any victory like that it was always a 'two paper day'.
I can't bring myself to buy the heraldsun any more, so you've made my two-paper day with this post.
:wink: :lol: