Saints to change its approach to Hannebery's persistant injuries

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints to change its approach to Hannebery's persistant injuries

I don’t blame Dan, he knew his body was shot, the rest of the AFL knew his body was shot, and here comes St Kilda and throws a $4M cheque at him! He’d be an idiot not to jump at it!

The blame lies 100% with the club and the recruiters, absolutely terrible decision.

It goes down as one of the most bone-headed decisions in recent memory, along with Richo’s contract extension and not picking Petracca.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 7:28pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 6:08pm
CURLY wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 3:42pm Can't wait for him to get back we are a far better side when he plays.
Interesting comment, what do you base this on?
Is it his contribution, leadership, training standards, on-field coaching or something else to which you refer?

The reason I ask is statistically he appears to have little positive impact when playing.

In 2019 we won only one of the five games he played (win ratio 20%) against a win/loss season of 40% with Hannebery hardly setting the game alight with an average 25 possessions and not registering elite in any category.

In 2020 we averaged a win/loss ratio of 58% and 62% with Dan in the team across his 8 games where he averaged 17 possessions and again failed to register as elite in any category.

Lastly, I was at the Bulldogs final and his game was way overrated by TV viewers in my opinion as Hannebery was by himself for large parts of the game on the wing and was not pushing back deep into defence like the half forwards and other wingers were doing.

Dan was an elite player, absolute gut running gun midfielder in his prime, but since 2018 has been a butt average AFL player who can barely get on the park.

It is sad to watch the decline of someone who was an AFL champion to become what Dan now is, a broken down player desperately clinging to the past and trying to get back.

I wish he could get back, but it is getting highly more unlikely by the week as the game gets quicker and he is slowing and struggling with injury, now that is fact.

I think we structure up better when he’s around the clearances. He also sets us up with basically every disposal always takes the best option. Rarely let’s the ball gets past he either kills the loose ball so we get another contest rather than letting the opposition walk it out.
Perhaps you are watching replays of Swans matches between 2012 - 2017 when all of that and more was true of Dan the elite mid.

It is not true at St Kilda.

Firstly continuity of performance of teams in any elite sport is essential, basketball, rowing, League, AFL ask any high performance coach in all team sports. You structure up better when you play games together and learn how each other play and read each others game. How can any saints player have a f@rking clue about 13 game Dan?

Uses basically every disposal & always takes the best option? Those are elite player statements.
14% of his kicks in 2020 were clangers and he didn't register elite in any category.

He didn't even get much of it and when he did his disposal was average.

Hannebery is shot and needs to retire, he has little to SWA to offer.
He was recruited as a broken down has-been and has done nothing to suggest to anyone other than a cool-aide sipper that he has any chance of turning this around.

I believe in patterns, below is undeniable.
I guess the desperate could argue he played more games in 2020 than 2019 so he's on the way back :lol:

Year Games
2010 - 19
2011 - 22
2012 - 22
2013 - 21
2014 - 16
2015 - 22
2016 - 22
2017 - 21
2018 - 14
2019 - 5
2020 - 8
2012 - 0 to date

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 6:30pm Haven't they heard of drugs? There are all sorts of hormones that will do the trick. Send him on a trip to Germany - to see the sights. It's worked for other clubs - what could go wrong? Even if he comes back looking like a horse, at least we could run him the Cup.

We all know there was innuendo and rumours and even Simon Lethlean had referred to Dan’s ‘party boy days’ and rumours regarding his ‘lifestyle’ choices. Maybe drugs are the CAUSE of his problems

My interpretation (based on google searches around the time that he failed to play in his first preseason with St Kilda) is that drugs may.........MAY.......be WHY he is where he is. Just a guess and just speculation. I could be 100% wrong. You can search for yourself for some medical evidence that shows that muscles are affected from long term use. Maybe Sydney gave him supplements or pain killers that have caused this.

This is the quote from the newspaper article that is the key imo;

“He has been having calf complaints on the back of not particularly intense work, so there is something else going on as compared to ripping soft tissue.“

So....if they want to try something different. Maybe try rehab for starters

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It was dumb recruiting but still, many dumb assumptions on here bordering on outright lies.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintkid
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 8:36pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 6:16pm
Sanctorum wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 3:59pm You have to cut the poor bugger some slack, imagine how bad he feels about his inability to recover from the raft of soft tissue injuries he has suffered since coming over from the Swans 2 years ago.

It is all very well to argue that he is on exceptionally good coin, but he will be very much aware that fans have their knives out for him, even if he doesn't look at the sometimes quite abusive flack posted on this forum.

The club just a week ago issued a reprimand to supporters who abuse players and officials on social media, and I am surprised that people who genuinely support St Kilda can direct such venom on this forum towards players and officials who are totally committed to the success of the footy club we all love!

The sub heading of this forum states the following:

"This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages and all posts must be respectful."

OP headings such as "F@ck Hannebery" and "Brad Hill is a Cancer that needs excising" are recent examples of discussions on this forum that are offensive in the extreme!
I respect your opinion but no for me, F@ck Hannebery!

This is a business and not a retirement home.
When I sold my business to an ASX listed company I had a 2 year performance based earn out and had to warrant for 5 years all the information provided was factual.

This is business and Hannebery hasn't delivered so f@ck him, make him retire and get out and recruit some young talent we can develop or at least imports who are physically able to take the field and not broken down has-beens on arrival at the club.

Hannebery is a bust, cut the losses, do a deal for him to retire gracefully, f@ck him off out of the club and move forward. He was a great AFL player, a gun in his prime, but his time has come like all champions and we owe him NOTHING!
I disagree with the headline of F@ck Hannebery JB, that's personal imo. Other club's supporters are laughing at our recruitment of him, not him, so F@ck those who RECRUITED him!
My thoughts exactly and to see how well Treloar is doing at the Dogs infuriates me more with Lethlean and co. Personally, I think Lethlean's appointment has sent us backwards.

saint6709
Club Player

I agree with the posters calling for a bit of respect when discussing players

I also agree with those hoping Hannebery hangs his boots up at the end of the year - no offense to him but I think he’s done - if he miraculously comes good physically and contributes like a champion for the second half of the year and next year - then great - good on him

But I don’t agree with those bagging his recruitment - I’m happy we got him for a few reasons and I’m pretty sure I posted at the time that getting him on the field wasn’t really the most important thing

We were close to bottom at the time and not contending for anything really - maybe best staff canteen or something but nothing on the field

YET we still had to pay a salary cap to a certain level (95%?) why pay underperforming or too young guys beyond what they needed early on ? It would set the bar at a level they may not deserve if we wanted to keep them on the list long term - So we needed to ‘ bank’ some money for future player payments - ie for a few years down the track when Hanners retires

His other benefit was that for the 3-4 years previous we couldn’t get a ‘big,medium or small tall’ name recruit to the club so Hanners created some press etc etc and started some change

Also apparently he’s been good to have around the place with regards to training standards etc etc

So as I thought at the time he was more a piece of the stepping stone to our (hopefully not too distant) next success rather than being an integral part of that success

So thanks Hanners I haven’t loved or hated your work - good luck to you - time to retire - let’s get your wage into others eg Ben King😊

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 10:52pm I agree with the posters calling for a bit of respect when discussing players

I also agree with those hoping Hannebery hangs his boots up at the end of the year - no offense to him but I think he’s done - if he miraculously comes good physically and contributes like a champion for the second half of the year and next year - then great - good on him

But I don’t agree with those bagging his recruitment - I’m happy we got him for a few reasons and I’m pretty sure I posted at the time that getting him on the field wasn’t really the most important thing

We were close to bottom at the time and not contending for anything really - maybe best staff canteen or something but nothing on the field

YET we still had to pay a salary cap to a certain level (95%?) why pay underperforming or too young guys beyond what they needed early on ? It would set the bar at a level they may not deserve if we wanted to keep them on the list long term - So we needed to ‘ bank’ some money for future player payments - ie for a few years down the track when Hanners retires

His other benefit was that for the 3-4 years previous we couldn’t get a ‘big,medium or small tall’ name recruit to the club so Hanners created some press etc etc and started some change

Also apparently he’s been good to have around the place with regards to training standards etc etc

So as I thought at the time he was more a piece of the stepping stone to our (hopefully not too distant) next success rather than being an integral part of that success

So thanks Hanners I haven’t loved or hated your work - good luck to you - time to retire - let’s get your wage into others eg Ben King😊
Every Furphy ever propagated about Hannebery and all in one post!
Congrats you win the internets for today!

saint6709
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 10:58pm
saint6709 wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 10:52pm I agree with the posters calling for a bit of respect when discussing players

Cheers 🍻 I guess we are seeing eye to eye 👍
Unless you thought we were going to win the premiership in 2019 or 2020 ?
Our recent problems began when we took Mccartin over Petracca - Hanners is just a part of trying to dig ourselves back out of the hole

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 11:08pm
whiskers3614 wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 10:58pm

Cheers 🍻 I guess we are seeing eye to eye 👍
Unless you thought we were going to win the premiership in 2019 or 2020 ?
Our recent problems began when we took Mccartin over Petracca - Hanners is just a part of trying to dig ourselves back out of the hole
I can agree with some of the points above but the length of contract is absolutely idiotic-did he have that long to run on Sydney contract?
In regards to training standards, I have it on good authority that he does lead the way in off-field player "entertainments"

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 10:05pm
CURLY wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 3:42pm Can't wait for him to get back we are a far better side when he plays.
Is it his contribution, leadership, training standards, on-field coaching or something else to which you refer?

The reason I ask is statistically he appears to have little positive impact when playing.

In 2019 we won only one of the five games he played (win ratio 20%) against a win/loss season of 40% with Hannebery hardly setting the game alight with an average 25 possessions and not registering elite in any category.

In 2020 we averaged a win/loss ratio of 58% and 62% with Dan in the team across his 8 games where he averaged 17 possessions and again failed to register as elite in any category.

Lastly, I was at the Bulldogs final and his game was way overrated by TV viewers in my opinion as Hannebery was by himself for large parts of the game on the wing and was not pushing back deep into defence like the half forwards and other wingers were doing.

Dan was an elite player, absolute gut running gun midfielder in his prime, but since 2018 has been a butt average AFL player who can barely get on the park.

It is sad to watch the decline of someone who was an AFL champion to become what Dan now is, a broken down player desperately clinging to the past and trying to get back.

I wish he could get back, but it is getting highly more unlikely by the week as the game gets quicker and he is slowing and struggling with injury, now that is fact.

I think we structure up better when he’s around the clearances. He also sets us up with basically every disposal always takes the best option. Rarely let’s the ball gets past he either kills the loose ball so we get another contest rather than letting the opposition walk it out.
Perhaps you are watching replays of Swans matches between 2012 - 2017 when all of that and more was true of Dan the elite mid.

Firstly continuity of performance of teams in any elite sport is essential, basketball, rowing, League, AFL ask any high performance coach in all team sports. You structure up better when you play games together and learn how each other play and read each others game. How can any saints player have a f@rking clue about 13 game Dan?

Uses basically every disposal & always takes the best option? Those are elite player statements.
14% of his kicks in 2020 were clangers and he didn't register elite in any category.

He was recruited as a broken down has-been and has done nothing to suggest to anyone other than a cool-aide sipper that he has any chance of turning this around.

I guess the desperate could argue he played more games in 2020 than 2019 so he's on the way back :lol:

Year Games
2010 - 19
2011 - 22
2012 - 22
2013 - 21
2014 - 16
2015 - 22
2016 - 22
2017 - 21
2018 - 14
2019 - 5
2020 - 8
2012 - 0 to date

14% he misses so 86% he’s using it well sounds very good to me. As I said when he plays we look better as a group especially around clearances.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

What a year Treloar is having. Just watched him play yet another great game for the Dogs.

Reportedly he wanted to be a Saint, but we just could not afford the $$$ despite it being less than what he was worth.

It rubs real salt into the wound we our two expensive imports cannot deliver on the park on the park on a regular basis. One by not playing, and the other by not playing well enough often enough.

The Dogs have had enormous good fortune, as well as skilled recruiters, in acquiring talent in recent times. Not all hits of course, but geeze they have nailed some good ones.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Hannebery’s appointment at St Kilda is no longer an embarrassment for the Saints, it’s an embarrassment for the AFL and their ‘spending protocol’. In a free market lasse fair market (which I am not in favor of btw) - say, like the EPL, we would never have bought him.

But the rules are, we must salary cap this, soft cap that etc., combined with our stinky image, meant that we had no choice.

We are on the drip, after all.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

You've always got a choice

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 11:56pm What a year Treloar is having. Just watched him play yet another great game for the Dogs.

Reportedly he wanted to be a Saint, but we just could not afford the $$$ despite it being less than what he was worth.

It rubs real salt into the wound we our two expensive imports cannot deliver on the park on the park on a regular basis. One by not playing, and the other by not playing well enough often enough.

The Dogs have had enormous good fortune, as well as skilled recruiters, in acquiring talent in recent times. Not all hits of course, but geeze they have nailed some good ones.

Never heard or seen anything that suggests Treloar wanted to be a Saint.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 8:35am
saintsRrising wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 11:56pm What a year Treloar is having. Just watched him play yet another great game for the Dogs.

Never heard or seen anything that suggests Treloar wanted
to be a Saint.
It's contained in that same message that said Hannebery leads training standards, we had to spend the$$ anyway and the umpires and AFL are all cheats!
Surely you've read it?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 9:58am

to be a Saint.
It's contained in that same message that said Hannebery leads training standards, we had to spend the$$ anyway and the umpires and AFL are all cheats!
Surely you've read it?
Hilarious squeezer.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Fri 23 Apr 2021 11:17pm

Year Games
2010 - 19
2011 - 22
2012 - 22
2013 - 21
2014 - 16
2015 - 22
2016 - 22
2017 - 21
2018 - 14
2019 - 5
2020 - 8
2012 - 0 to date

14% he misses so 86% he’s using it well sounds very good to me. As I said when he plays we look better as a group especially around clearances.
Lol, wrong again Curly.
I’m a footy layman but you have no idea at all about the modern game.

Clangers are unopposed errors under no pressure, 14% changers doesn’t mean 86% efficiency 😂 You crack me up Curly.

If I look up his efficiency it would be lucky to be above 50%.

Don’t let the facts or stats get in the way of your reality Curly.

Our win % ratio is down when Hannebery plays over the past two seasons combined. He has low possessions and doesn’t rate elite in any category, furthermore he is largely unavailable and does not provide continuity of a group midfield.

But go on thinking he’s a gun and adding value to the club Curly👍

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 9:58am

to be a Saint.
Surely you've read it?
Wise up Whiskers, you are allowed to perpetuate positive bulls*** about Hannebery and Hannebery only 😂

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 10:22am

Year Games
2010 - 19
2011 - 22
2012 - 22
2013 - 21
2014 - 16
2015 - 22
2016 - 22
2017 - 21
2018 - 14
2019 - 5
2020 - 8
2012 - 0 to date

Lol, wrong again Curly.

Clangers are unopposed errors under no pressure, 14% changers doesn’t mean 86% efficiency 😂 You crack me up Curly.

Our win % ratio is down when Hannebery plays over the past two seasons combined. He has low possessions and doesn’t rate elite in any category, furthermore he is largely unavailable and does not provide continuity of a group midfield.

As I said Oracle we set up better we look better organised. You just keep using SuperCoach points as a gauge of a footballers worth.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Least we took a risk.

At the time, he cost little in the way of DPs and we had no stars to use up our cap.

He must’ve had a full medical and our doctors gave him the all clear?

It hasn’t panned out so far, and looks unlikely to. But he is here to help us win finals, and he did that.

But yes, he on a big whack, and is not playing so it’s hurting us a bit.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 10:37am

Year Games
2010 - 19
2011 - 22
2012 - 22
2013 - 21
2014 - 16
2015 - 22
2016 - 22
2017 - 21
2018 - 14
2019 - 5
2020 - 8
2012 - 0 to date

Lol, wrong again Curly.

As I said Oracle we set up better we look better organised. You just keep using SuperCoach points as a gauge of a footballers worth.
Where have I referred to SC points Curly?
Stop making up bulls***.

You again prove your knowledge on the game is as extensive as your umpiring expertise.

Look better? That means a lot as we actually lose more when he plays. But Curly knows football 😂

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 11:04am

Year Games
2010 - 19
2011 - 22
2012 - 22
2013 - 21
2014 - 16
2015 - 22
2016 - 22
2017 - 21
2018 - 14
2019 - 5
2020 - 8
2012 - 0 to date

Lol, wrong again Curly.

Stop making up bulls***.

You again prove your knowledge on the game is as extensive as your umpiring expertise.

Look better? That means a lot as we actually lose more when he plays. But Curly knows football 😂

I don’t need stats to see the impact a player has. Similar situation to Paton or Geary in our back half we look better set up when they play. Ryder makes us look better. I don’t need to look at numbers to determine that.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Never heard or seen anything that suggests Treloar wanted to be a Saint.
At last, a realistic post. Neither have I mate. Made up garbage imhfo.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 11:01am Least we took a risk.

At the time, he cost little in the way of DPs and we had no stars to use up our cap.

He must’ve had a full medical and our doctors gave him the all clear?

It hasn’t panned out so far, and looks unlikely to. But he is here to help us win finals, and he did that.

But yes, he on a big whack, and is not playing so it’s hurting us a bit.
I agree, and we are still in with a realistic chance of making finals - 12 wins could do it.

I actually think Hannebery, Ryder and Frawley could all be very important in the back half of the season, and an elimination final, should we make it. Those three in the team will make us a lot more experienced and competitive.

If all three of those players were in the side when we play Geelong at Geelong in the second last round, I would back us in to win that match. Something I ordinarily wouldn't do. The team we currently have in won't beat Geelong at Docklands in a month's time such as it is.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 11:08am
Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 11:04am

Year Games
2010 - 19
2011 - 22
2012 - 22
2013 - 21
2014 - 16
2015 - 22
2016 - 22
2017 - 21
2018 - 14
2019 - 5
2020 - 8
2012 - 0 to date

Lol, wrong again Curly.

Stop making up bulls***.

I don’t need stats to see the impact a player has. Similar situation to Paton or Geary in our back half we look better set up when they play. Ryder makes us look better. I don’t need to look at numbers to determine that.
The club and coach use strategists, analysts and compile and review data and statistics.

But Curly knows football 😂😂😂