The press conference

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shrodes
SS Life Member

Re: The press conference

B.M wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 1:04am I think the game plan worked last year until teams understood how to play against it.

Simple as holding your back 6
I think you are spot on. I can’t find the article now but I remember reading last year we had the highest scoring % from less than 15m from goal or so. As in, record high, ridiculously unsustainable number of goals kicked this way.

Players just got out the back and punished the opposition.

I think now teams know that we want to do that they work against it, and we get absolutely punished on the rebound. When we have 3 players all streaming forward looking for a cheapie but no one prepared (or too tired) to run the other way, it’s not surprise that opposition beats us by 50+ points.

The other thing of note missing this year - we cannot lock it in our forward line. Forward 50 tackles are WAY down for a side carrying three small forwards whose job it is to keep it down there.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-09/ ... g/12431612
Last edited by shrodes on Mon 26 Apr 2021 10:56am, edited 3 times in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

MickThomas wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 2:08am
Devilhead wrote: Mon 26 Apr 2021 12:53am When Ratten was asked about our comeback v Eagles and why we are having trouble replicating that effort ...... he paused and didn't answer immediately

I don't believe he knows why ...... eventually he replied about players needing to get a move on

But I don't believe he has any idea as to why the players are currently lacklustre.

He looks bereft of ideas and inspiration
Cuddles and the other coaches have done 2 post-match reviews since the WCE game.
I agree with you, I don't think he has a clue about how that happened and why we can't repeat it.

He, like all coaches, has 5-6 analysts on laptops collecting GPS data, pressure acts, one %, handball-to-kick ratio, how many minutes to fry a steak before turning it over, etc.
They get so consumed with numbers they forget what the bleeding game is all about.

One presser, he said 'our pressure was about 170' like WTF does that even mean?
Han Solo said his ship could do the Kessel run in 10 parsecs. Made about as much sense as that quote
100% agree.

I reckon this type of mentality has destroyed sooo many coaches and teams.
Coaches look at disposal efficacy and pressure acts and all this other BS without actually looking at players’ performances and going is this good

As a result they back players and strategies that work towards the numbers they want and are miffed by bad outcomes that result from the same players/strategies continually being beaten

older saint
SS Life Member

Press conferences are held within 30 min of the end of the game. Good operators, when you lose are able to remain calm answer the questions , but unless it is deliberate , dont say something which will give a headline publicly.
While supporters may want to hear one thing ( which may well be said behind closed doors) the cost publically may be greater.
I believe Ratten is a good coach and this may well be the greatest test of STKFC in many years, the ability to hold its nerve. Will we do a Geelong, Richmond, even Port and hold our nerve ( not yet convinvced Goodwin would have survived without 2 years to run so not including them ) or will we do what this club has done many times in the past and blame the coach for a unexpected decline.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Its the coaching & fitness teams job to get the players to elite fitness, which this group aren't. Ratts, his assistants and Rath set up the game plan which is obviously completely flawed. Its Ratts job to have the players playing in sync, they are so disjointed and confused its embarrassing.

Its time he took the responsiblity, stood up and took responsibilty and said how he was going to fix it. The thing coaches do when they are under the pump is 'over coach'. The best way to fix things is to strip back what they have been attempting to do, make it as simple as possible and concentrate on the players enjoying their footy and playing as a group again.

Little things like encouraging your team mates efforts or aggression go a long way to team cohesion. When was the last time we saw a number of players get across to a team mate for his defensive effort? They need to learn to pump up each others confidence again and what that does it gets the entire team going, plus eats away at the opposition.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I have read enough crap. Cio for today.

robsaint1966

It is not all on the coach. Stock has a big part to do with it, always has been. When we have had Quality stock we win games. It comes down to a number of factors
1. Quality Stock
2. Buy in by the player to the game plan and eachother
3. a good game plan and ability to adapt
3. Development of players

We have not got the mix right of bringing in good quality players with good young draft picks. I thing some of the young guys we have brought in look good at particular stages and need to be developed properly
King
Clarke
Coffield
Bytle

Other brigade to fill gaps have not worked
Hannebery - good when he is on the park but not able to get on it enough
Crouch - shown signs jury still out
Hill - commentators keep saying he is designed to break the lines don't judge him on what he can't do. Sorry if he can't do the simple things, no side can carry downhill skiers.
Carlisle - has been ok, just a looks a little slow and disinterested at times but seems to read the play well and good intercept.

In my opinion we have not brought in the right quality players.

Or is there something else that has causing this turnaround from last year.

saintkev
Club Player

A quote from Ratten at yesterday’s press conference: “We’re lacking a little bit of confidence to click and jell. That’s probably hurting us a bit.”
Whose responsibility is it to instil confidence? How can a team jell when there are no consequences for overpaid, underperforming players? Hurting a bit??? Surely you jest, Brett?