Joyce

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Joyce

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 08 May 2021 7:45pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 08 May 2021 6:58pm
SaintPav wrote: Sat 08 May 2021 6:37pm He was ok today but he’s still not a long term solution.

At any rate, there was one nice bit of attacking play out of the backline in the third which I liked, which if we saw more of, would really help our cause.

I think it’s got a lot to do with opportunity, confidence and just backing yourself.
Interesting.

I haven’t seen the game and will watch it later when the replay is available

Watching the highlights on the AFL app I see two (possibly 3 - couldn’t clear make DJ out on the last) instances where the man he was directly playing on got free of Joyce and kicked a goal. History tends to suggest that winners are grinners but it will be interesting to see the take when either results don’t go our way or the defence is seriously under the pump. Joyce is 24, has been on the list for years now and in football terms he’s in his prime. Needs to be able to stand on his own when needed and the odd good effort isn’t enough

Geelong will be a big test for him next week
Reasonable call but that prime age is for someone who grew up playing the game.

For Alabakis, his prime age will be 57.
Fair point. So the question becomes, as he gets more experienced and physically enters his peak... what aspects of his game will improve?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Joyce's game today puts the lie to the claim he is not AFL standard. Of course he is and now given the chance he is proving it. Ratts is as pleased as punch with him I am led to believe.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 08 May 2021 7:47pm
SaintPav wrote: Sat 08 May 2021 7:12pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 08 May 2021 7:06pm
SaintPav wrote: Sat 08 May 2021 6:55pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 08 May 2021 6:53pm
SaintPav wrote: Sat 08 May 2021 6:50pm Good question. I think Ratts is sending a message to the playing group by rewarding hard work and effort. He’s probably also doing everything that is being asked of him.
I thought he was ok today (Joyce).
He’s bigger and stronger than Highmore.

Joyce is quick and courageous.
I think he is a year or so away but could make it.
Cool.

Did you talk to your mate?
Yes I did, saw a few old faces as well today at functions on the Western wing on levels 2 & 3. A few sainter fans found their way to the pirate life deck today which was nice to see.

Can’t name the source but I’ve known them 15 years or so. My take is Ben heads back to Melbourne for season 2023.

Wouldn’t say Saints are odds on either, some close may feel the boys are better playing apart.

If I was a punter in 2023 he plays in Melbourne but not with us.
I'd like Sam Collins playing full back for us.
He is strong, he is tough but if Max could one grab marks & kick through the ball he would have looked average.
Yeah, it's a worry.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 08 May 2021 7:52pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sat 08 May 2021 7:45pm
SaintPav wrote: Sat 08 May 2021 6:37pm He was ok today but he’s still not a long term solution.

At any rate, there was one nice bit of attacking play out of the backline in the third which I liked, which if we saw more of, would really help our cause.

I think it’s got a lot to do with opportunity, confidence and just backing yourself.
Interesting.

Watching the highlights on the AFL app I see two (possibly 3 - couldn’t clear make DJ out on the last) instances where the man he was directly playing on got free of Joyce and kicked a goal. History tends to suggest that winners are grinners but it will be interesting to see the take when either results don’t go our way or the defence is seriously under the pump. Joyce is 24, has been on the list for years now and in football terms he’s in his prime. Needs to be able to stand on his own when needed and the odd good effort isn’t enough

Reasonable call but that prime age is for someone who grew up playing the game.

For Alabakis, his prime age will be 57.
Fair point. So the question becomes, as he gets more experienced and physically enters his peak... what aspects of his game will improve?
Simply confidence to take the game on. To continue to run through forwards. Back himself to kick longer than those Irish dinky kicks...I hope.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Sat 08 May 2021 7:53pm Joyce's game today puts the lie to the claim he is not AFL standard. Of course he is and now given the chance he is proving it. Ratts is as pleased as punch with him I am led to believe.
Early days still not convinced he has what it takes to make it & has been ok but I don't think you can say he has locked in a permeant position just yet . Don't get me wrong I hope he can grab the chance & become important player for years to come but IMO still has a long way to go :wink:

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote: Sat 08 May 2021 7:17pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Sat 08 May 2021 7:16pm

Interesting.

Yeah, we recruit an Irishman and expect him to master the game immediately.

He has been a steadying influence the past two weeks and could not be omitted on form alone.

Yes, Geelong will be a big test for him. The same applies to all his teammates.
According to the AFL app he debuted in 2018. That has him into his 4th year at least
No disputing a known fact. But he wasn't a ready to roll AFL standard footballer from the day he got here.

Saint supporter since '62
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

He hurt a few today. Looks a fearsome defender. Quick.

lewdogs
Club Player

I liked what I saw of Joyce today. He definitely held his own, looked assured defensively and capable of creating attack with the footy. Definitely worth persisting with.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote: Sat 08 May 2021 9:08pm I liked what I saw of Joyce today. He definitely held his own, looked assured defensively and capable of creating attack with the footy. Definitely worth persisting with.
You got that right.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote: Sat 08 May 2021 9:08pm I liked what I saw of Joyce today. He definitely held his own, looked assured defensively and capable of creating attack with the footy. Definitely worth persisting with.
Yes, I'll remove him from my cull list.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 08 May 2021 9:38pm
Yes, I'll remove him from my cull list.
:wink:

Trixilver
Club Player

I like his intensity especially in the last minute of the game. I would keep him for next week and if DMac is to come in I wouldn't play him in defence, I like him further up the ground or not at all.