Zac Dawson AFL experiences and mental health + Richmond win!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Re: Zac Dawson AFL experiences and mental health + Richmond win!

(haven't listened yet)

iirc

('n i have posted this before)

ross talked zac into coming to us
(from the Hawks as a rookie i think)

anyways
'n here's the bit

zac was reluctant

ross PROMISED to play him
(obviously unaware that we'd make the granny)
to get him across

and then , ross backed him in ... all the way including the big day

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Mon 05 Jul 2021 3:49pm
saynta wrote: Sun 04 Jul 2021 4:06pm
Pretty piss poor that some posters are prepared to ignore forum rules and denigrate a poster instead of just commentating on the posts.

Only to be expected though.🤨🤨
As distinct from generally slandering everyone who doesn't agree with you
"Some posters have their heads buried so far it is no longer a joke."
As distinct from agreeing with a slanderous post. Hypercritical?

asiu
Saintsational Legend

that was a great listen

zac is a quality person

outside66
Club Player

Great podcast episode but it would have been good from the hosts to address the elephant in the room re him playing ahead of Max out of the 09 GF as this was the main reason why Dawson was maligned by Sainters IMO.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

outside66 wrote: Tue 06 Jul 2021 11:30am Great podcast episode but it would have been good from the hosts to address the elephant in the room re him playing ahead of Max out of the 09 GF as this was the main reason why Dawson was maligned by Sainters IMO.
Correct. As someone posted on the saints facebook page, Max was the heart and soul of St Kilda, and if I may say so, a bloody good full back. Dawson was just a footballer and as his move to the Saints and then to Freo proved, a mercenary at that.

The elephant in the room as far as I concerned is why you would play someone who was on a drip in a hospital bed overnight before the grandfinal when you have a perfectly fit and much better fullback waiting in the wings.

Would not surprise me to learn that there was some secret deal between the flosser tosser and Dawson to play him regardless. :roll:

And contrary to the crap posted on this thread, I did not hate Dawson as a person. Why would I, as I have never met him. I just had no respect for him as a footballer as he had terrible skills.

As a rule, I never criticise Saints players with a few notable exceptions and then usually only after they are no longer a Saint. Dawson was one of those few exceptions.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

deserves a listen .. old fella

he talks specifically about the circumstances
of leaving the Saints

he had an offer on the table , from Freo ,
early in the season

he was still on our list
when Watters turned up

the Saints (management) were trying to fix THEIR player payment debacle

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 06 Jul 2021 11:48am
outside66 wrote: Tue 06 Jul 2021 11:30am Great podcast episode but it would have been good from the hosts to address the elephant in the room re him playing ahead of Max out of the 09 GF as this was the main reason why Dawson was maligned by Sainters IMO.
Correct. As someone posted on the saints facebook page, Max was the heart and soul of St Kilda, and if I may say so, a bloody good full back. Dawson was just a footballer and as his move to the Saints and then to Freo proved, a mercenary at that.

The elephant in the room as far as I concerned is why you would play someone who was on a drip in a hospital bed overnight before the grandfinal when you have a perfectly fit and much better fullback waiting in the wings.

Would not surprise me to learn that there was some secret deal between the flosser tosser and Dawson to play him regardless. :roll:

And contrary to the crap posted on this thread, I did not hate Dawson as a person. Why would I, as I have never met him. I just had no respect for him as a footballer as he had terrible skills.

As a rule, I never criticise Saints players with a few notable exceptions and then usually only after they are no longer a Saint. Dawson was one of those few exceptions.
The smoking gun indicating that it might personal (which is the correct analogy to use in both instances) is the indication that an explanation as to why he played may be because RL was on the take… suggests a bias

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 06 Jul 2021 11:48am Dawson was just a footballer and as his move to the Saints and then to Freo proved, a mercenary at that.
His move to St Kilda proved he was a mercenary? He had been delisted at Hawthorn and given a lifeline by the Saints. How is that a mercenary move?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote: Wed 07 Jul 2021 12:18pm
saynta wrote: Tue 06 Jul 2021 11:48am Dawson was just a footballer and as his move to the Saints and then to Freo proved, a mercenary at that.
His move to St Kilda proved he was a mercenary? He had been delisted at Hawthorn and given a lifeline by the Saints. How is that a mercenary move?
It’s a pretty ridiculous comment as is the idea that he was paying RL to play

The logical reason that a rational person would consider is that RL obviously liked and rated Zac, he backed him in and there was a mutual trust/respect there. The fact that Dawson went on to have a respectable career across two clubs with his player of the finals X2 accolade suggests there was something to it as well.

Dawson then choosing to follow RL, especially if it was matched with an impression of indifference from the Saints as was indicated makes sense too. Go with a coach that rates you or stay with the rebuilding club and the coach that you don’t know that questions your value to the team! Hard choice.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 07 Jul 2021 12:25pm

The logical reason that a rational person would consider is that RL obviously liked and rated Zac, he backed him in and there was a mutual trust/respect there. The fact that Dawson went on to have a respectable career across two clubs with his player of the finals X2 accolade suggests there was something to it as well.

Dawson then choosing to follow RL, especially if it was matched with an impression of indifference from the Saints as was indicated makes sense too. Go with a coach that rates you or stay with the rebuilding club and the coach that you don’t know that questions your value to the team! Hard choice.
Absolutely, he made it pretty clear that after being an important part of two Grand Final teams, three finals series, player of the 2010 finals series etc - while on close to minimum wage having been rookie listed - the club then asked him to take a pay cut which he found disrespectful and had been weighing up leaving well before RL walked out.

Ross clearly rated him to play a role, which he did quite admirably IMO given his limitations, and that was the entire mantra of Ross Lyon coached sides - everyone has a role to play and he did his very well for us.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Didn't he leave the saints for Freo for more money? That makes him a mercenary IMHFO.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote: Wed 07 Jul 2021 12:35pm
skeptic wrote: Wed 07 Jul 2021 12:25pm

Absolutely, he made it pretty clear that after being an important part of two Grand Final teams, three finals series, player of the 2010 finals series etc - while on close to minimum wage having been rookie listed - the club then asked him to take a pay cut which he found disrespectful and had been weighing up leaving well before RL walked out.

Ross clearly rated him to play a role, which he did quite admirably IMO given his limitations, and that was the entire mantra of Ross Lyon coached sides - everyone has a role to play and he did his very well for us.
Glad you at least acknowledge that Dawson had limitations. I would suggest asking him to take a pay cut was reasonable by the club.

In any event I don't think too many supporters, apart from my stalker, shed a tear when Zac followed the Tosser to Freo. I would never agree with you comment that Zac did very well for the Saints. but each to their own opinion.
Last edited by saynta on Wed 07 Jul 2021 5:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I don’t particularly like or dislike Zac but he played for more than 10 years, 150+ games and was judged player of the finals on 2 occasions.

Those are facts.

You would easily call that a respectable career.

Lol so now he’s a mercenary because he went for more money and security
What must you think of 1/3 of our list? Hope you’ve never gone for pay rise in your career as a solicitor. No doubt you stayed strictly with legal aid the whole way through… though it wouldn’t surprise me that you stayed at one income your whole career

asiu
Saintsational Legend

performed when it mattered
on the big stage
(and won awards for doing so)

fair faux dinkum

what else can a sportsman do

his yack impressed me ... solid citizen

re the $ bit

c'mon

3 very solid seasons on rookies money
doesn't equal a pay rise 'n some security of tenure ?

all he wanted was to be in a position
to buy a bloody house

good on him for leaving

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bump.

To suggest that I posted or said that Zac was paying the tosser to play is just an out and out f****** ridiculous lie.

A lie that was repeated in another post as well.

what I actually said is reprinted below.

"Would not surprise me to learn that there was some secret deal between the flosser tosser and Dawson to play him regardless. :roll: "

spert
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Wed 07 Jul 2021 10:03pm performed when it mattered
on the big stage
(and won awards for doing so)

fair faux dinkum

what else can a sportsman do

his yack impressed me ... solid citizen

re the $ bit

c'mon

3 very solid seasons on rookies money
doesn't equal a pay rise 'n some security of tenure ?

all he wanted was to be in a position
to buy a bloody house

good on him for leaving
Spot on

amusingname
Club Player

A mercenary? Spare me.

You must have hated watching Fraser Gehrig, Aaron Hamill and Sean Dempster go around then. You also must watch Dan Butler, Jack Higgins, Brad Crouch, Brad Hill, Dougal Howard, Paddy Ryder, Zac Jones, Jack Steele, Tim Membrey through gritted teeth each week as well!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Question

Would you move jobs (same position)

If you were offered a longer contract and a lot more money?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

amusingname wrote: Fri 09 Jul 2021 11:49am

A mercenary? Spare me.

You must have hated watching Fraser Gehrig, Aaron Hamill and Sean Dempster go around then. You also must watch Dan Butler, Jack Higgins, Brad Crouch, Brad Hill, Dougal Howard, Paddy Ryder, Zac Jones, Jack Steele, Tim Membrey through gritted teeth each week as well!
:lol:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 09 Jul 2021 11:55am Question

Well I never did. Worked for the same mob for 48.years admittedly in vastly different roles.

So I guess the answer is no I wouldn't .

Money never motivated me. Plenty of other considerations.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 09 Jul 2021 5:17pm
B.M wrote: Fri 09 Jul 2021 11:55am Question

Well I never did. Worked for the same mob for 48.years admittedly in vastly different roles.

So I guess the answer is no I wouldn't .

Money never motivated me. Plenty of other considerations.
Let me guess… you started on buns then worked your way up to the grill and dressing the burgers. Then they swapped you over to the McChicken side… a year after that you got to fries… couple of years later you were on the counter before progressing to the drive through.
Shift leader turned into day manager and that’s when the big bucks started coming in?

<1 day ban for commenting negatively on another poster>

asiu
Saintsational Legend

i'm just gunna pretend i didn't read that

c'mon lads
:P

us oldies can do crusty well
... forgive us our trespassers 'n all that jive

we don't come from a world of 'sensitivity to our surroundings'
... thats not quite how it was
in humanities glorious recent history

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Sat 10 Jul 2021 2:46pm i'm just gunna pretend i didn't read that

c'mon lads
:P

us oldies can do crusty well
... forgive us our trespassers 'n all that jive

we don't come from a world of 'sensitivity to our surroundings'
... thats not quite how it was
in humanities glorious recent history
It’s just a bit of fun Asiu… goodness knows we all through stones

asiu
Saintsational Legend

we do :)

and a well aimed stone
is a wonderful thing !!

i remember copping one once
in the back of the head
(being thrown from our side of no mans land)

that , hurt.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Sat 10 Jul 2021 3:44pm we do :)

and a well aimed stone
is a wonderful thing !!

i remember copping one once
in the back of the head
(being thrown from our side of no mans land)

that , hurt.
You going to the game at Metricon fella?