The bye is a dud…

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The bye is a dud…

…and I hope we never have one again..

Interest killer…

Mid season, ok..staggered..but the whole comp stopping…no way!

I don’t care about the players and coaches.

The game must go on.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: The bye is a dud…

This Grand Final malarkey is holding up the off season, can't wait until it's done. :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Sanctorum
Club Player

Yes, but if St Kilda were in the Doggies boots we'd probably really like a week's breather before the GF.

I tend to think that this pre GF bye will become the standard but perhaps the AFL should aim to have the VFL GF on that weekend, maybe stage a legends game or something similar to keep the fans happy.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 19 Sep 2021 5:35pm Yes, but if St Kilda were in the Doggies boots we'd probably really like a week's breather before the GF.

I tend to think that this pre GF bye will become the standard but perhaps the AFL should aim to have the VFL GF on that weekend, maybe stage a legends game or something similar to keep the fans happy.
Agree w/you there…the teams and coaches always want byes. The players would have ten minute quarters and a bye every fortnight.

Seriously, players are so up themselves and into their own little worlds they need to grow a pair :x just kidding

Here is an idea….

The AFL has their ridiculous GF holiday, so why not play it in the Wednesday, ten days post prelim. Public Holiday.

I already know objection 1,2,3

1. Pub hol is Victoria only
2. The night/tv corporates want a night granny , so makes no sense on a Wednesday night
3. The pub hol won’t last cause it’s so stupid anyway.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I'd rather the bye here than between the final round and finals.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Scrap the bye...loses all momentum

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Sun 19 Sep 2021 8:50pm Scrap the bye...loses all momentum
Yep..
It should be a test of a team to prepare and endure.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

A bye before the GF pretty well negates Melbourne's double chance for finishing the top of the ladder. The Bulldogs would be loving the break as it gives them a chance to address any niggles after three tough games in as many weeks. As unfair as the break seems it will make for a cracking game. This year, anyway.

Saint supporter since '62
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 19 Sep 2021 9:21pm A bye before the GF pretty well negates Melbourne's double chance for finishing the top of the ladder. The Bulldogs would be loving the break as it gives them a chance to address any niggles after three tough games in as many weeks. As unfair as the break seems it will make for a cracking game. This year, anyway.
Get over it

older saint
SS Life Member

Since the AFL brought in the 12 day COMPULSORY concussion protocol, which is a random number like say 80% vax, I think it is essential.

The pre finals bye was BS and a disadvantage to teams finishing top 4 which is crazy. This way you have the bets chance of having the best 22 from each time there in the biggest game of the season.
Could you imagine 2022 Steele gets a head knock in the prelim, it is not serious but enough for a concussion protocol to be implemented. In 4 days time he is fine and medically ok yet he has to watch because of the compulsory rule.

It also stops legal challenges foe the AFL on the adhoc time period used.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

It is a terrible time for a bye.
I have lost all interest in the game this weekend.
The week between the Prelims and the Grannie used to be a whirlwind of activity.
Brownlow Monday night, dissection of the Brownlow on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday hype up the game, Friday the parade and Saturday the big one.
Build the excitement and just keep it bubbling along.
This year, Prelims over followed by a couple of days of discussion of the games and the grand finalists and then interest starts to wain.
Now, I couldn't give a crap about the game on Saturday.
Admittedly, that is not helped by the fact that I don't like or particularly dislike either side involved so I don't really have a pro or con position on the game.
Most years there is usually a side in the GF that I either quite like or really dislike playing so I have an interest one way or another.
This year I just don't care.

St Plugger
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 19 Sep 2021 5:35pm Yes, but if St Kilda were in the Doggies boots we'd probably really like a week's breather before the GF.
I tend to think that this pre GF bye will become the standard but perhaps the AFL should aim to have the VFL GF on that weekend.
I like this pre GF bye.

Agree absolutely that the break can allow teams to get their best on the park!

And the idea of having the VFL GF and equivalent State leagues GFs held on the bye weekend is excellent.
Raises their profile and the 2 weekends become a festival of Grand Finals football, with the [supposedly] best GF to top it off!

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Wasnt the bye brought in this year because of WA's quarantine requirements on the Bulldogs?

lefty
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 19 Sep 2021 2:25pm …and I hope we never have one again..

Interest killer…

Mid season, ok..staggered..but the whole comp stopping…no way!

I don’t care about the players and coaches.

The game must go on.
I like you are forgetting the entire point of the bye. It was due to the concussion rule and I agree with it. Its 7 extra days, grow up.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 19 Sep 2021 9:12pm
Yep..
Why? then you would whinge that the GF wasn't as good a spectacle as you'd like. THe bye between prelim and GF is a great idea - particularly once we're out of lockdowns and back to normal. All local footy leagues will know exactly when to play their GF's, and the VFL have a standalone weekend to play their game. Great for local footy and any player unlucky enough to cop a niggle in the prelim will be right to go (not to mention concussion)

What's with this momentum certain ppl bang on about? The game will be huge Saturday, despite the complaining

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Tue 21 Sep 2021 12:46am
Yep..
Why? then you would whinge that the GF wasn't as good a spectacle as you'd like. THe bye between prelim and GF is a great idea - particularly once we're out of lockdowns and back to normal. All local footy leagues will know exactly when to play their GF's, and the VFL have a standalone weekend to play their game. Great for local footy and any player unlucky enough to cop a niggle in the prelim will be right to go (not to mention concussion)

What's with this momentum certain ppl bang on about? The game will be huge Saturday, despite the complaining
Why not have a months bye?
That way all players will have a chance to be ready? Why bot stretch the season so there is a month between each round?

Play the games…..injuries or not..that I’is part of the story..
Don’t listen to coaches and players…they know what’s best for them and their family…that’s it!

This year they have no choice because of COVID (maybe), but they’ll use it as an excuse ..

Bye plus night granny.

It won’t make it a better experience for us. It will just get more vewiers.

I have felt the intensity start dying since last Thursday when I remembered no footy…and I remembered instead…the ‘them’ factor, politics, corporatism, etc.

Play t he game…run the season..

Moods
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 21 Sep 2021 11:05am
Moods wrote: Tue 21 Sep 2021 12:46am
Yep..

Why not have a months bye?
That way all players will have a chance to be ready? Why bot stretch the season so there is a month between each round?

Play the games…..injuries or not..that I’is part of the story..
Don’t listen to coaches and players…they know what’s best for them and their family…that’s it!

This year they have no choice because of COVID (maybe), but they’ll use it as an excuse ..

Bye plus night granny.

It won’t make it a better experience for us. It will just get more vewiers.

I have felt the intensity start dying since last Thursday when I remembered no footy…and I remembered instead…the ‘them’ factor, politics, corporatism, etc.

Play t he game…run the season..
Do you stand at the footy yelling, 'kick it long! Stop stuffing around with these handballs.' ?

Your reasoning is ridiculous and I think you know it. One week off is hardly the end of the world. And why does a game played at night when the majority of H&A games not to mention finals, are played at night, ruin the experience for you?

People just can't cope with change. The game will be played and it will be great. And the sun will come up again the next morning.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

My reasoning about the loss of excitement is real, and very good!

My reasoning about the night granny is traditionalist and it’s really a side issue here…

So easy to conflate them and wrap them up together …as I presented them like that… my bad…

No, I’m deadly serious…it kills it…now no doubt, I will get excited for the game..at the time…but it is disappointing. Perhaps we could have between Acekaide (I can’t believe I’m bringing up that stinker) in ‘97 had we had a bye. Though they had their Roo out too. (I think)