Essendon's First Goal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Essendon's First Goal

I am confused - you cannot hatch the ball - you cannot throw the ball to the wrong umpire but ....

You can run up to the man on the mark for a perceived indiscretion and wrestle him off the mark while you player runs around the outside unprotected, takes the ball and kicks a goal.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Sanctorum
Club Player

Re: Essendon's First Goal

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 06 Mar 2022 11:34am I am confused - you cannot hatch the ball - you cannot throw the ball to the wrong umpire but ....

You can run up to the man on the mark for a perceived indiscretion and wrestle him off the mark while you player runs around the outside unprotected, takes the ball and kicks a goal.
I agree about the 2nd item SD, that was staggering, but my interpretation of Gresham's penalty was based on the fact that he feigned confusion about who to throw the ball to in a not-too subtle endeavour to hold up play momentarily to quickly take a better defensive position for the ball-up, which happens quite a bit and should probably be jumped on, but it does border on pendantism.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 06 Mar 2022 11:34am I am confused - you cannot hatch the ball - you cannot throw the ball to the wrong umpire but ....

Yeah, my thoughts too. Joke.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Obviously when Gresh stood the mark and was manhandled back a few metres, the umpire had forgotten about the stand rule.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 06 Mar 2022 3:33pm Obviously when Gresh stood the mark and was manhandled back a few metres, the umpire had forgotten about the stand rule.
My point CQ is should that not be defined as time wasting?

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 06 Mar 2022 3:46pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 06 Mar 2022 3:33pm Obviously when Gresh stood the mark and was manhandled back a few metres, the umpire had forgotten about the stand rule.
My point CQ is should that not be defined as time wasting?
It should, but the umpire ignored it and the rest is history. Was any time wasted? Obviously, remonstrating, (illegally man handling a player in the play, on the mark, without the ball) isn't on the time wasting agenda or the holding the man or not clearing the marked zone agenda either.

lewdogs
Club Player

If it had been in a real game I would have been ropeable.

The commentators were too naive to realise it but I'm sure that was against the rules, you can't push away the man on the mark.