Why didn't Sharman play last night?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Why didn't Sharman play last night?

I would also like to know if Jones can come back this week as well.

We are not good enough to have players of that calibre not playing senior footy when they could be.

Rumour is Hannebery could be back next week. If so, he must be selected.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why didn't Sharman play last night?

Enough with the Sharman BS please.

The kid got lucky in a few games while the opposition didn't pay him any attention.

If he's the answer to what happened last night then we should give the game away immediately.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 10:11am Enough with the Sharman BS please.

The kid got lucky in a few games while the opposition didn't pay him any attention.

If he's the answer to what happened last night then we should give the game away immediately.
I don’t know that he’s the answer…
But if someone struck him with the ball chances are he would catch it rather call out “WTF was that!” and then yell at his team mates for hitting him with that reddish brown thing he’d been trying to avoid all night.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I also said that Jones and Hannebery need to be selected if fit to play and are available.
And last time I looked Sharman actually kicks goals. He kicked ten goals in five games last year and had his hand in others. Those three things can arrest some of the deficiencies I saw last night.

Collingwood's defence was on the ropes late in the third quarter but we didn't capitalise on it when we had the chance.

If we kicked straighter in our purple patch in the thrid quarter we would have been two goals ahead at three quarter time and not one goal behind.

We select the best team possible, not to make statements if that's what it is.
I would like Highmore back in too. We were better down back when he settled into the side. He impacts the backline.

The way Collingwood players found space last night was eerily reminiscent of the Essendon game last year.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sat 19 Mar 2022 10:41am, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I think Hayes took the spot Sharman might have had. IMO Ratts values pace and run above just about anything, so he wouldn’t want to go in too heavy.

Sharman will be back at some stage if he’s good enough. I think he is, but reportedly didn’t set it on fire preseason

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 10:38am I think Hayes took the spot Sharman might have had. IMO Ratts values pace and run above just about anything, so he wouldn’t want to go in too heavy.

Sharman will be back at some stage if he’s good enough. I think he is, but reportedly didn’t set it on fire preseason
I think Sharman and Hayes both play and one of our small forwards comes out. At least Sharman can take a mark.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 10:45am
bigcarl wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 10:38am I think Hayes took the spot Sharman might have had. IMO Ratts values pace and run above just about anything, so he wouldn’t want to go in too heavy.

I think Sharman and Hayes both play and one of our small forwards comes out. At least Sharman can take a mark.
I’d do it, but not sure Ratts would go for it. I do think multiple targets is the way to go. Long bombs to King is inefficient for scoring.

Of course the big problem last night was that we were smashed in the middle for the much of the match.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 10:16am

I don’t know that he’s the answer…
But if someone struck him with the ball chances are he would catch it rather call out “WTF was that!” and then yell at his team mates for hitting him with that reddish brown thing he’d been trying to avoid all night.
The main thing this group of players lack is big nuts. Hayes showed every single one of his team mates how to be a competitive beast. We were looking real good until that bump on Nick Daicos, we were playing real physical and we were working over Grundy and he looked rattled. Then we went into our shell after after biff in the goal square and Nick D then went on a rampage. Why the F*** we didn't keep at Nick D is weak spirited. It looked like we wanted to start a fight but just didn't have the nuts to finish it.

This group is weak on the mind and lack Nuts. Just as simple as that.

Thank you Hayes for giving me one really small thing to be happy about, the rest should give some money back this week.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

In a game of millimetres and the difference between 1st and 12th can be only a few percent, we need a point of difference, we need to take on the Clarko unsociable mindset, who cares if we don't make friends, all this cuddles and chatting with the opposition after you get your pants pulled down by a first gamer has to stop.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Didn’t want to be too tall forward

Long should have played HF

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Exactly. He can mark and kick straight, which is useful in a forward line . King had Moore and Howe just sweating on him - impossible ask. At least Sharman has to be manned up on and is a credible decoy.

Looked across our forward line at the start and thought, gosh they have no size - with the one exception - neither tall nor strong: and while apparently have fast/quick hands, not really so . Cannot fathom the selectors and would appreciate an explanation, but is it just lip service re communication to members.

A small mobile forward line is pretty impotent in a side getting flogged at the centre. The ball comes back from defence relatively slow and high, true?

Felt sorry for Mitch, he must feel terrible today and have lost a lot of confidence. There is learning and there is learning and I doubt his team mates at the centre bounces taught him anything useful.

PS: there are tactics for a side chronically loosing the centre contests and shuffling deck chairs is not one of them. Oh for a lateral thinker in the box. Or just a thinker.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 11:00am Didn’t want to be too tall forward

I half agree and half disagree.
Long should certainly have played because he can impact the game. Sometimes he can give away free kicks, but he is good for a goal, and a mark along the wing when it's needed.

But he doesn't have to play half forward, he can play in a forward pocket or even across half back if needed - and last nigth it was needed.

Instead we played a first gamer who wasn't pressure hardened. Not the right timing for a young first gamer in my honest opinion.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 10:54am

I’d do it, but not sure Ratts would go for it. I do think multiple targets is the way to go. Long bombs to King is inefficient for scoring.

Of course the big problem last night was that we were smashed in the middle for the much of the match.
Yep, agreed, hence my point about Hennebery and Jones straight in next week.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 11:22am

You could mount a seriously strong argument that Ratts lost us the game at the selection table. Picking Owens was a big mistake. We are trying to win games of football, not create a Byron Bayes cuddle fest for kids who aren't AFL ready.

If we play Sharmon next week then put us down for another loss.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 11:22am

Are both even available? Course you would if they are

CarlD
Club Player

May be well wide of the mark but there were some comments in pre-season about Sharman not exactly shining on the training paddock. Could be one of those players who gets by at training but really enjoys playing. Possibly that may not sit well with coaches who expect the training effort to be there too and hence the non-selection.

All a little baffling but he did some nice things at the end of last season and would have been nice to have another focal point for the Pies to keep tabs on.

Can't recall how well he chased when the opposition has the ball but question mark there for the coaches as well?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 11:00am Didn’t want to be too tall forward

Yep Long has to come in, we need some aggression and players who tackle to hurt. Yep you're you're get suspended but teams that win flags have player who play on the edge and we dont have one single Stevie Baker in the side. No one would fear this bunch or players.

BM when is the Sandy game, can we all watch Sharman and see if there is a reason why some fans expect this kid to play at all costs. Is he the next Buddy and I just haven't seen it?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

4 goals and a Brownlow vote in his last game with Max King not playing.
10 goals in 3.5 games.
7th in goal kicking
5th in marks inside 50
9th in contested marks.

We can’t afford not to have a player of his quality in the team. However poorly people think his pre season was, it was better than last year.

Did I mention 3.5 games?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

VFL Round 1
Sunday, 27 March (1:05 pm) Casey vs. Sandringham Casey Fields

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

CarlD wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 12:13pm May be well wide of the mark but there were some comments in pre-season about Sharman not exactly shining on the training paddock. Could be one of those players who gets by at training but really enjoys playing. Possibly that may not sit well with coaches who expect the training effort to be there too and hence the non-selection.

All a little baffling but he did some nice things at the end of last season and would have been nice to have another focal point for the Pies to keep tabs on.

Can't recall how well he chased when the opposition has the ball but question mark there for the coaches as well?
He didn't have to chase too often because he used to mark the ball.
And he kicked pretty straight too.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why would we have a forward line with 4 marking forwards?

We would be horrible at ground level!!!

Kent out

Long in

IMO

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Our best ground level forward sprayed his kicks all over the shop and King was our second best ground level forward.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Higgins hurt us with his misses and bad judgement (ignoring Gresh) but he can lead and mark, and before long, he'll regain his accuracy.
Keep him in for a bit.
Butler needs a spell with Sandy until he works through his issues, whether he regains his 2020 excitement is an unknown, but i really don't think he'll get it in the pressure cooker of senior footy.
VFL is like practice games, where a guy can refresh and reload. In an ideal world.
But we know that historically, Saints dropping to Sandy have trouble, maybe because of some disconnect between the 2 different environments.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
DJ Higgins
Club Player

what's with the Sharman hate all of a sudden. he was good in the last few games last year. Impacted the scoreboard and helped win us a few games.

Now after a pre season he isn't good enough? I am not sure what happened to him but I am hugely concerned. the fact that we would pick Owens & Hayes over here is hugely concerning regardless of how they played. Sad thing is there is no VFl game this weekend for him to play in so that would most likely mean he wont play AFL next week either.

As for the rest of the team I wouldn't drop any of them. Yes some had shockers but the one week in one week out team selection doesn't work but I would have a bout half a dozen of them on notice saying pick it up or back to Sandy

saynta
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Sat 19 Mar 2022 11:34pm what's with the Sharman hate all of a sudden. he was good in the last few games last year. Impacted the scoreboard and helped win us a few games.

Now after a pre season he isn't good enough? I am not sure what happened to him but I am hugely concerned. the fact that we would pick Owens & Hayes over here is hugely concerning regardless of how they played. Sad thing is there is no VFl game this weekend for him to play in so that would most likely mean he wont play AFL next week either.

As for the rest of the team I wouldn't drop any of them. Yes some had shockers but the one week in one week out team selection doesn't work but I would have a bout half a dozen of them on notice saying pick it up or back to Sandy
According to the coach and the filth faithful, Sandy played the filth in a practice match on Friday.