Best thing about today

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Best thing about today

My personal highlight today was the smile on Max Kings face half way through the last quarter when he slotted that long bomb

It was Max’s 3rd goal for the quarter and it was the cheesiest grin I’ve ever seen on the big Full Forward

Even though Max is seen by the fans as a super star and the poster boy for the team he just loves helping his mates win games of footy

Lots of good signs today. They played for each other. There was an even contribution and everyone feels like they are an important part of the team.

Killa
Club Player

Re: Best thing about today

What a difference a win makes

At three quarter time the comment among us was “how are we within 2 goals, because Richmond were finding space and supports and looking dangerous plus they have size against us”

But Ryder kept doing it, taking the mids with him

And we started to find the space and run, including from deep in defence

10 on the trot was the result, and a Richmond which plays on the edge did not like it

Given those missing from this side, the result is a testimony to our improving depth (noting also the VFL result and the player stats)

Next week is another challenge in a very young season

There is some criticism of Hill - but he is vital to this side because he works to be around the contest

Sometimes you find yourself outnumbered for that reason

And on Ryder his importance is also structure - so Marshall going forward as an option

What a difference a win makes

Now for next week

Such is sport - and life

You are only as good as your last performance - or decision

No doubt Ratts and his team have plenty to work on

We turned in your face aggression back on the opposition today.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote: Sun 03 Apr 2022 10:38pm My personal highlight today was the smile on Max Kings face half way through the last quarter when he slotted that long bomb

It was Max’s 3rd goal for the quarter and it was the cheesiest grin I’ve ever seen on the big Full Forward

Even though Max is seen by the fans as a super star and the poster boy for the team he just loves helping his mates win games of footy

Lots of good signs today. They played for each other. There was an even contribution and everyone feels like they are an important part of the team.
Best thing for me mate was the team effort as a whole sure Max's influence was amazing & it just goes to show if you kick straight the confidence level goes up & everyone benefits.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Sun 03 Apr 2022 11:08pm
There is some criticism of Hill - but he is vital to this side because he works to be around the contest
Hill played his role but he is far from being ‘vital’.

The turning point in the game was about half way through the 3rd quarter when Ratten removed Bradley Hill from the heat of the competition.

He was shifted out of half back and played as a forward flanker for the rest of the game.

We defended better and we moved the ball better out of our defence

Ratten kept DMac and Wood on the wings. Hill is currently looking at relegation based on what I saw in the second half.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote: Sun 03 Apr 2022 11:17pm

The turning point in the game was about half way through the 3rd quarter when Ratten removed Bradley Hill from the heat of the competition.

He was shifted out of half back and played as a forward flanker for the rest of the game.

Ratten kept DMac and Wood on the wings. Hill is currently looking at relegation based on what I saw in the second half.
I don't dislike Hill but the instruction to feed it to him at every opportunity -- to make him seem worth his contract -- is clearly counterproductive, as opposition strategists are all over it. Only St Kilda would announce this intention openly.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Sun 03 Apr 2022 11:11pm
Scollop wrote: Sun 03 Apr 2022 10:38pm My personal highlight today was the smile on Max Kings face half way through the last quarter when he slotted that long bomb

Best thing for me mate was the team effort as a whole sure Max's influence was amazing & it just goes to show if you kick straight the confidence level goes up & everyone benefits.
Definitely. Everything you say I agree with

Last year there were times when the weight of the world seemed to be resting on young Max’s shoulders and he didn’t enjoy his footy

I think it’s super important that he and all the players soak it up and enjoy their footy

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

There is some criticism of Hill -

The game turned about the time Hill was banished from the back 6 and Sinclair reinstated. It was not the only reason, but it certainly played a strong part. Sinclair blocked thrusts and create offensive thrusts. Hill was leaking goals and putting his team mates under the pump.

Killa wrote: Sun 03 Apr 2022 11:08pm but he is vital to this side because he works to be around the contest

Sometimes you find yourself outnumbered for that reason

This I totally disagree with.

If there is one thing I have come to understand about Hill's game is that if he is in a contest, or even just near an opposition player his ability execute is poor (ie the complete opposite of Sinclair who is exceptional under pressure.

His disposal skills are poor when an opponent is near.
Hill in space is different. All of a sudden he becomes a good kick, or handballer, and he can create play. You saw that today after he was moved when he was in space more often.

Hopefully Rats reverts to playing Hill where he needs to be to thrive which is back on the outside, or even not in the team at all if he cannot be an outside player.

He thrived for a while on HB...but the opposition coaches know not to leave him in space now. So he is always under the pump as a backman, and due to this his fumbles and uses the ball poorly. He is a liability, an Achilles Heel, in our back six.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 03 Apr 2022 11:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Great win,
I think our recruiting of good , smart ball players looks good when we win contests.
The Idea might be you can train skilful players to be tough, but not so much vice versa.

You can see what Ratten wants with playing:
Gresh, Hill, NWM, Sinclair
together, that fast skilful play on and delivery.

Trouble is they are also not great tackling players, so we need intensity to be there so we get Overlap run like we did in the 4Q.

The goal down the wing that went from Sincs, to Hill, to Long to King was one of the best pieces of play on footy I've seen us do for ages.

With smart players like Higgins and Butler in F50 we look dangerous.

Clark, Jones, Billings and Coffield to come back into this side.
Owens and Windhager developing in Magoos....some good signs.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Sun 03 Apr 2022 11:33pm Great win,
I think our recruiting of good , smart ball players looks good when we win contests.
The Idea might be you can train skilful players to be tough, but not so much vice versa.

You can see what Ratten wants with playing:
Gresh, Hill, NWM, Sinclair
together, that fast skilful play on and delivery.

Trouble is they are also not great tackling players, so we need intensity to be there so we get Overlap run like we did in the 4Q.

The goal down the wing that went from Sincs, to Hill, to Long to King was one of the best pieces of play on footy I've seen us do for ages.

With smart players like Higgins and Butler in F50 we look dangerous.

Clark, Jones, Billings and Coffield to come back into this side.
Owens and Windhager developing in Magoos....some good signs.
And what a beatifully weighted kick it was :D

Lennylegs
Club Player

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 03 Apr 2022 11:22pm
Scollop wrote: Sun 03 Apr 2022 11:17pm

I don't dislike Hill but the instruction to feed it to him at every opportunity -- to make him seem worth his contract -- is clearly counterproductive, as opposition strategists are all over it. Only St Kilda would announce this intention openly.
I highly doubt our coaches have ever instructed anyone to give Hilly the ball because we need to make his contract look worthwhile. That's absurd.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

The best thing about today was that Ratts proved we play better when Hill is not in defence. He either plays on the wing or he plays for Sandy

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

No one posted anything negative about a great team/coaching effort.

The context, roles and efforts of all players were appreciated.

No disrespectful hyperbole or a tortured metaphor to be seen.

We are apparently in the eight. All good, eh.

And how good are the people on the selection committee.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 2:03am
Unfortunately we are not in the eight, we are ninth.
1/Brisbane
2/Melbourne
3/Carlton
4/Hawthorn
5/Fremantle
6/Collingwood
7/Geelong
8/Sydney Swans
9/St Kilda

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I loved Wanganeen-Milera's game. Pure silk. He didn't get that much obut when he did he was so damaging. A great recruit.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 2:51am
Yorkeys wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 2:03am
Unfortunately we are not in the eight, we are ninth.
1/Brisbane
2/Melbourne
3/Carlton
4/Hawthorn
5/Fremantle
6/Collingwood
7/Geelong
8/Sydney Swans
9/St Kilda
Ah, just the 15 minutes of fame then

or whatever the time difference is from the Indian Ocean side.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

When we started our run, the Tigers seemed to drop their heads, they often had no second effort when they didn't win the ball.
It occurred quite a bit.
Have a look at the King goal involving Long kicking to Max- the play-on and snap.
#6 for Tigers, ball cleared his fingers, his head dropped n shoulders slumped, he turned around but didn't attempt to lunge.
That sort of 'i give up' seemed to happen a bit.

Oh, Wilkie's goal? The Tiger that he outmarked- body language was WTAF so I imagine he'd be blaming the full-back for a poor kick.

I love how we hurt the Tiger's morale and made them feel second-rate.
They lost heart, I reckon.
It's one reason we kicked 10 unanswered goals.
(Umps helped too, lol)

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

magnifisaint wrote: Mon 04 Apr 2022 2:54am I loved Wanganeen-Milera's game. Pure silk. He didn't get that much obut when he did he was so damaging. A great recruit.
Agree

Give him 20 /30 games with King (as they work out their plays) and you can only salivate at the prospect of that delivery and memories long gone of another #7 to a another handy FF

Fqf

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
lewdogs
Club Player

It's good to have flexibility. If a player isn't working in one area they can move somewhere else. I'm sure we will see Hill back again as he can be a weapon there in the right game.