Match Thread Saints v Demons Round 8 2022

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintkid
Club Player

Re: Match Thread Saints v Demons Round 8 2022

meher baba wrote: Sun 08 May 2022 3:36pm
saintkid wrote: Sun 08 May 2022 3:30pm
meher baba wrote: Sun 08 May 2022 3:00pm Melbourne have brought their best game. We’re under enormous pressure. Don’t blame the players.
Yep let's accept that because we never at any stage beforehand expected Melbourne to bring their best game.
That's what WE wanted as a contest and we also thought OUR best game would be competitive today BUT let's NOT blame our poor players and keep accepting mediocrity.
Melbourne were once our easy beats so why can't this team still not be able to go to an elite level?
Too many GOPs on this list that are happy to bask in their own glory.
Unless there is a miraculous 2nd half turnaround, well done to Melbourne bringing their best game to the MCG after 7 straight wins already.
The epitome of 'Eye of the Tiger' on display so far for them today.
I don’t understand this sort of rant. The current admin and coach have been doing their best to get rid of the GOPs who they inherited from their hopeless and hapless predecessors: you know, the same guys who made the call some years back that sees Petracca tearing us up today.

Nothing about our current setup suggests to be an acceptance of mediocrity. Our lineup is improving year by year. But we’re not there yet: cleaning up the mess made in the past takes time.

We’re heading in the right direction. Today was always going to be hard. And we might pick up a bit after half time: we’re lucky to be as close as we are, so perhaps we can capitalise on that.
It's not a rant it's the way it is. Everyone heads in the right direction but some clubs are much better at it on a number of levels. The proof was and is on show today.

By the way, Port went on and won on Friday night, so no Cairns excuses on top of this please.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

6th now and sliding

“Yeah….nah””
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

They kicked 8 of their goals in two bursts totalling about 12 minutes of play. Outside of that we were competitive with them. Jones had a really dirty day and gave us absolutely nothing. Howard was superb.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Lennylegs wrote: Sun 08 May 2022 4:08pm Pretty frustrating that we'd start the match playing slow tempo when all our good wins this year have come when we take the game on. Evidence is there in the third quarter.

Hopefully we can build on something for next week. We're so much better when we take the game on.
Agree. Our run troubled them for a while when we took some chances and moved it quickly. But they are such a talented and well drilled team that they were able to weather it.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Lennylegs wrote: Sun 08 May 2022 4:08pm Pretty frustrating that we'd start the match playing slow tempo when all our good wins this year have come when we take the game on. Evidence is there in the third quarter.

Hopefully we can build on something for next week. We're so much better when we take the game on.
Good post
Agree only time we looked dangerous was when we took the game on
Stop prop wait footy looks ok on stat sheet and stops the bleeding but it made it impossible for us to score

“Yeah….nah””
chook23
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Sun 08 May 2022 4:39pm about what we all expected.
The players too

saint4life
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

77 Clangers to their 54 clangers ..... thats a huge difference

Sharman in for Butler (need another marking target forward)
Billings in for Nasiah
Clark in for Long

Gresh & Higgo forward

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Next week a must win now against the Cats

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

StPeter wrote: Sun 08 May 2022 4:39pm When will they learn that Hill is NOT a defender.

Coughs up two goals in the last 5 minutes!!
The last one he was actually tackled before he had it

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Sun 08 May 2022 4:45pm They kicked 8 of their goals in two bursts totalling about 12 minutes of play. Outside of that we were competitive with them. Jones had a really dirty day and gave us absolutely nothing. Howard was superb.
Based on what I read here, very surprised Jones was picked.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne defence was awesome

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Ok, so I missed the game (thank God)

Sounds like we were outclassed and Cairns may have cost us some run.

Question:

How did Jones play?

Saw he tunnelled a player then elbow another in the throat - (can't say I minded)

Did he get reported?

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Sun 08 May 2022 5:32pm Ok, so I missed the game (thank God)

Sounds like we were outclassed and Cairns may have cost us some run.

Question:

How did Jones play?

Saw he tunnelled a player then elbow another in the throat - (can't say I minded)

Did he get reported?
Oliver flipped & flopped .....was booed the rest of the match

Killa
Club Player

We can improve this side - and that is before you get to improvement in our juniors.

I have put on here before that we are 2 years off being at the sharp end of the competition - aside from middle rung and competitive which is where we are now.

It will obviously lead to a response, but we need some more hard experience around the ball which is where we should all be trusting that Hannebery can get back on the park, consistently and performing.

It just adds experience and class to the midfield whilst the likes of Windhager and Owens gain experience, and assists them and their development.

A side comprising Wanganeen-Milera, Windhager and Owens, who have already debuted, plus a couple of others showing potential is the next step over the next 2 years.

Because they are coming into a side building its experience and depth (so support)

Not expected to carry the side from debut (how long has it taken Petracca to become a force, noting the support around him?)

Heath and Adams, because of what they bring by size (so structure) are the next cabs off the rank.

We have only a couple of players over 28 years of age and not counted on in 2 years time - so there is some work to be done with our List, but that is always the case.

Look at it thru the prism of our side we are able to put on the park the year after next, because that is when our List should be right in the sweet spot.

Basically, we are currently a young and inexperienced side.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 08 May 2022 5:18pm 77 Clangers to their 54 clangers ..... thats a huge difference

Billings in for Nasiah
Clark in for Long

Gresh & Higgo forward
I’m glad you mentioned clangers. Have a look who has the best disposal efficiency in the side. With a bit more continuity, Ben Long will start becoming one of the connectors in the team like Sincs and Brad Hill. He is a beautiful long kick to advantage.

The coach needs to bite the bullet and use our strengths rather than try and pretend we are going to hold sides to low scores with a brilliant defence. Get Ben Long up the ground and get him sharing the duties for delivery inside 50. Teams know we are using Sincs and Hill and they are defending that.

Let’s utilise the marking power of King, Membrey, Wood and Higgins. It’s no good having Membrey delivering inside 50. He is not a good field kick when it comes to that weighted kick or kick to a lead inside 50. It’s no good having Seb Ross and Crouch and Gresham doing the bulk of our inside 50’s.

We saw today for Zac Jones that it’s not easy to come back after missing so many week of footy

Clark won’t defend and pressure as well as Long. Clark needs 40% time in the middle and probably only 65% game time next week

Also…Ben Paton and Wilkie and Webster had poor games. I’d be looking to drop Paton or manage him for next week. Battle also had a stinker but match ups are the key for next week against Geelong
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 08 May 2022 6:02pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

It’s nice to think that some of our players had stinkers. It gives us some sort of excuse rather than think the opposition were really that good

I think the opposition were really that good

They will win the flag put your money on it

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

I think three weeks in a row of making excuses for many and the last two weeks has been absolutely puss. People have said in the past the players are already down and know....but do they?
Are they doing everything they can to kick straight? To improve skills? Are we at maxum from all our starters? This is it. The best it gets. Oh but wait there's injuries and isn't that one key player eating a goddamn lard and cheese sandwich...so he's not fully fit...etc etc

Marshall was rubbish, King....we have to keep making excuses for when he can't outmark an opponent that isn't weak as piss...but he doesn't do the other things that matter when he is being mauled like defense, running up the ground, marking mid field etc. I know he's only in his third full season and we need to give him the old school Sainter 20 years to come good treatment....
Flipping two damn marks and four disposals.

flashes of brilliance are all we get anymore from anyone ( except Steele - who did suffer a but the past two weeks but he has been our one consistent player... ONE PLAYER THINK ABOUT THAT).

We are talking up 6-8 yr players who are playing better but not brilliantly consistent.

It's deflating. I didn't hold much hope for this roster and figured 8-12th finish more likely 9th. But now I see it's all been smoke & mirrors, trying to monkeyball a finals campaign from the league's throw aways and a few top picks too scared to fight for the ball.

We are definitely ok when we play weak teams ( unless we aren't).

We are a decent club but never be a threat with this team - none of them. Not one will see a grand final ever in Saints colours.

It's a total rebuild 10 years from now scenario once again.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Poor goal kicking again hurt.

Poor gameplan in bombing long to the forward line hurt. If you asked the Dees what they’re ideal scenario for entry into their D50 is it would 100% what we did today. Absolute joke.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 08 May 2022 5:53pm
Devilhead wrote: Sun 08 May 2022 5:18pm 77 Clangers to their 54 clangers ..... thats a huge difference

Billings in for Nasiah
Clark in for Long

Gresh & Higgo forward
I’m glad you mentioned clangers. Have a look who has the best disposal efficiency in the side. With a bit more continuity, Ben Long will start becoming one of the connectors in the team like Sincs and Brad Hill. He is a beautiful long kick to advantage.

The coach needs to bite the bullet and use our strengths rather than try and pretend we are going to hold sides to low scores with a brilliant defence. Get Ben Long up the ground and get him sharing the duties for delivery inside 50. Teams know we are using Sincs and Hill and they are defending that.

Let’s utilise the marking power of King, Membrey, Wood and Higgins. It’s no good having Membrey delivering inside 50. He is not a good field kick when it comes to that weighted kick or kick to a lead inside 50. It’s no good having Seb Ross and Crouch and Gresham doing the bulk of our inside 50’s.

We saw today for Zac Jones that it’s not easy to come back after missing so many week of footy

Clark won’t defend and pressure as well as Long. Clark needs 40% time in the middle and probably only 65% game time next week

Also…Ben Paton and Wilkie and Webster had poor games. I’d be looking to drop Paton or manage him for next week. Battle also had a stinker but match ups are the key for next week against Geelong
Interesting post don’t disagree with most of it
I saw someone on here wanted Long out next week - I thought he was good today, adds hardness (loved him shoving Pickett the upstart, back in the face) plus his disposal has been an absolute plus.

It’s why I’m very keen/praying Connolly makes it - he has a fantastic side step and is beautiful by foot. Get 3-5 of these types in the side and our forward 50 entries improve and opposition can’t shut them all down.

On Paton - thought he went on to Pickett after qtr time and did the job - I’d be looking at Webster before him

Wilkie had a mare today
Gresham etc just ok

“Yeah….nah””
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Watched most of the replay
We certainly had a crack and will learn alot from that game.
Billings back will help with entries into 50 Jones will be better for the hit out.
We've got a decent side and reckon we will play finals

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 08 May 2022 8:02pm
Scollop wrote: Sun 08 May 2022 5:53pm

Billings in for Nasiah
Clark in for Long

Gresh & Higgo forward

Interesting post don’t disagree with most of it
I saw someone on here wanted Long out next week - I thought he was good today, adds hardness (loved him shoving Pickett the upstart, back in the face) plus his disposal has been an absolute plus.

It’s why I’m very keen/praying Connolly makes it - he has a fantastic side step and is beautiful by foot. Get 3-5 of these types in the side and our forward 50 entries improve and opposition can’t shut them all down.

On Paton - thought he went on to Pickett after qtr time and did the job - I’d be looking at Webster before him

Wilkie had a mare today
Gresham etc just ok

Wilkie destroyed Frisch.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saintkev
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Sun 08 May 2022 4:49pm

Agree. Our run troubled them for a while when we took some chances and moved it quickly. But they are such a talented and well drilled team that they were able to weather it.
Our run, ran out of puff. It couldn’t be sustained against a side that is better coached and playing attacking, ruthless team football.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Sun 08 May 2022 5:43pm
Look at it thru the prism of our side we are able to put on the park the year after next, because that is when our List should be right in the sweet spot.

Basically, we are currently a young and inexperienced side.

Unfortunately compared to the Dees that is simply not so.

The Dees fielded today were similar in age and experience, but we were the older team by 9 months.

Average Attributes:
Melbourne Attribute St Kilda
187.6cm Height 187.7cm
87.4kg Weight 86.0kg
25yr 2mth Age 25yr 11mth
100.9 Games 98.8

The Dees had 7 players with less than 50 games. We only had 4.

Total Players By Games:
Melbourne Games St Kilda
7 Less than 50 4
2 50 to 99 9
9 100 to 149 7
4 150 or more 3

The Dees age wise are not going to fall off their perch anytime soon.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 08 May 2022 5:23pm
StPeter wrote: Sun 08 May 2022 4:39pm When will they learn that Hill is NOT a defender.

And after the demon dropped the ball FFS

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Mon 09 May 2022 2:48pm
Devilhead wrote: Sun 08 May 2022 5:23pm

And after the demon dropped the ball FFS
And the first was not a mark. Kick went 10 metres at best.

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights