Team v Eagles

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team v Eagles

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 21 Jul 2022 8:36pm
Kick-it-lace-out wrote: Thu 21 Jul 2022 8:26pm Ratten talks a big game, but hasn’t got the guts to pull the trigger. How is Zac Jones the only one dropped? Yet Byrnes, Hill, Butler, Higgins, Billings survive. All f@rt, no sh!t.
Dropping HIll is absurd..why?
Billings isn't THAT bad either..sure his potential is now questionable as a game breaker, match winner all that jazz..but as a classy and servicable role player - I rate him
Higgins has the tricks, but we can't expect these players to be consiustent..still rank above Butler.

Butler I rate with Jones, probably lower than Jones, yes, lower.
Byrnes is another disappointment. Major time disappointment, Stella Sandy player. Unless tagging comes back. He might just be a nice tagger. But tagging 'aint a thing, so...
Great post
Butler must have photos I just can’t explain how he’s not even questioned it’s beyond a joke
I see now why Tigers flicked
Not up to it
Byrnes VFL quality

“Yeah….nah””
spert
Saintsational Legend

I thought quite a few payers had the ultimatum last season after some pretty ordinary performances, but I guess there was no-one at Sandy to step in,

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

1966 wrote: Thu 21 Jul 2022 8:41pm Ratten has now put them on notice that this is their last chance before they are put on their last chance to have one last chance.
Players also talked about it during the week and now they have worked out why they try in some games and not others we should be good from here.
Yeah & the Tooth Fairy ,Easter Bunny & Santa are all legit :wink:

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

NWM is not unlucky. Half the team is. Injury list has saved them for now.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

spert wrote: Thu 21 Jul 2022 8:46pm I thought quite a few payers had the ultimatum last season after some pretty ordinary performances, but I guess there was no-one at Sandy to step in,
Yeah mate the list is so thin it only has 1 side :wink:

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

How many “warts and all, honesty sessions” does this club have every year, 2 or 3?

Clearly not working, time to actually back up all the talk with actions and drop some players who clearly think they’re undroppable.

This season is gone, it’s about setting a standard for the future.

As many have said NWM harshly done by, it’s not the kids who let us down last week.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

The_Dud wrote: Thu 21 Jul 2022 10:05pm How many “warts and all, honesty sessions” does this club have every year, 2 or 3?

Clearly not working, time to actually back up all the talk with actions and drop some players who clearly think they’re undroppable.

As many have said NWM harshly done by, it’s not the kids who let us down last week.
The experienced player are supposed to set an example for the young blokes to aspire to aren't they? I hope NWM was rested not dropped or else we really don't have any credibility IMO anyway

ace
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Thu 21 Jul 2022 7:31pm Byrnes ahead of NWM ? 🙄
Byrnes not as talented as NWM but goes in a lot harder.
You can not question Byrnes effort.
NWM a bit like Hill, would rather receive than go get.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

ace wrote: Thu 21 Jul 2022 10:33pm
bangaulegend wrote: Thu 21 Jul 2022 7:31pm Byrnes ahead of NWM ? 🙄
Byrnes not as talented as NWM but goes in a lot harder.
You can not question Byrnes effort.
NWM a bit like Hill, would rather receive than go get.
Very different players for sure obviously one is a first round draft pick the other is a rookie listed player . I think everyone knew that we drafted NWM as an outside run & carry with decent disposal which we desperately needed & has been pretty good nothing amazing but pretty good for a first year player. IMO Byrnes is a goer & has a bit of speed but can't kick much more than 40 meters & can't hit a target under pressure & we have a sh-t load of those already.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

NWM should play on the wide open spaces of Optus Stadium (same size as the MCG).

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
SaintDippa
Club Player

Easy to call for blokes to get dropped. Watched Sandy last week. Struggling to name anyone apart from Hannebery or Campbell to bring in.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 21 Jul 2022 7:32pm Higgins and Butler named, are they taking the mickey.
Or is this the very last last last chance? I am warning you again, again, again...

Play well Sunday or hello Sandy: Byrnes, Wood or to use correct English sequencing: Wood Byrnes.
Stewy Dew doesn't give warning, after warning after warning.... He just brings down the axe and the message is clear

Did you see the Gold Coast outs this week?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 21 Jul 2022 10:05pm How many “warts and all, honesty sessions” does this club have every year, 2 or 3?

The Gold Coast Suns are building the right culture. You play poorly and you suffer the consequences

With our team, we were putrid, and it's basically only 1 senior player dropped.

One year ago the club had an opportunity to make a statement and drop Brad Hill. I'm still waiting for the day.

Why is he so fuckn untouchable and why do Lethlean and Finnis and Ratten let this guy off the hook every week
Last edited by Scollop on Fri 22 Jul 2022 12:35am, edited 1 time in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Thu 21 Jul 2022 7:39pm Seems like the tough talk is just a f-cking joke . No wonder we are so sh-t spineless selection IMO
No tough talk required at the Gold Coast selection table. Stewart Dew just did what's required

loris
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 22 Jul 2022 12:27am

The Gold Coast Suns are building the right culture. You play poorly and you suffer the consequences

With our team, we were putrid, and it's basically only 1 senior player dropped.

One year ago the club had an opportunity to make a statement and drop Brad Hill. I'm still waiting for the day.

Why is he so fuckn untouchable and why do Lethlean and Finnis and Ratten let this guy off the hook every week
What does Finnis have to do with team selection? Finnis is not part of the Football department I’m sure CEO’s aren’t on match day selection teams.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

No Finnis is certainly not on Match Committee

Nor is Lethlean

Ratten
Line Coaches
Rath
Roughead

axcellence
Club Player

Best team in weeks. Jones should have been an out and delisted.

Leinert 👍

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I’ll never get the strange vengefulness that drives many fans, who seem more excited about the idea of players being dropped than of players performing well and winning us games.

And there seems to be no understanding of our poor depth due to injuries.
Sure, let’s drop Hill for a massively important game? Who for, Connolly or Bytel? If we aren’t a laughing stock now, we certainly would be if we did that.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Personally, I’m sorry to see Jones out. The public serve he got might have motivated him and the ground would suit his style.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Fri 22 Jul 2022 8:29am Personally, I’m sorry to see Jones out. The public serve he got might have motivated him and the ground would suit his style.
And right on cue the defender of mediocrity appears..
Jones is a liability
We don’t run a charity
Season is over and coach clearly can’t set and hold a standard
As Nick Riewoldt said today
They’re a ‘nice’ group Saints….lack genuine hunger..and it shows in their effort which fluctuates
That’s on coaching - you set the standards
You pick the team
Sure we all know the list has holes (so do others) but at 8-3 we were lauding depth
It’s actually not even losing now it’s the way we are losing
Lost 5 from 6 now
Of those matches we are
17 for %
18 on contested ball
Dead set last.
And they’re-sign the coach early?????
Morons.

“Yeah….nah””
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

So the player who laid the second most tackles of anyone in the team (a career best) is dropped.

NWM had as many tackles as Webster, Hill, Paton, Highmore, Sharman, Wood, Wilkie, Long, Ryder, Higgins, Membrey and Battle combined.

No wonder players lack effort and desire when selection has zero integrity.
Last edited by Beno88 on Fri 22 Jul 2022 9:45am, edited 1 time in total.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

It's fine to swing the axe when you have enough players in reserve, but we don't......a reality that is lost on some.

Windhager may play, but his output has been very minor and he hasn't really influenced games....low possession, low impact. The coach has been giving him the opportunity to develop at AFL level, even though at this stage he contributes so little. NWM has-been a bit better but has been carried by the rest of the group

No one has criticised the selection of these guys but it's clear that they are bit part players at this stage. This is the fine balance of development versus picking the very best 22.

Personally, I think playing Connolly ahead of those two guys may have given us more.

The bottom line is that we are a work in progress. The chest beating, the vilification, and the outrage expressed on here doesn't change that.

This team doesn't come anywhere near our 2009 team. In fact, it doesn't come close to our 2004 team.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Isn't it equally no statement whatsoever if you only drop players when the season is over or when you have better (favoured) players available?

We have a group here that's apparently been read the riot act, been told their effort is unacceptable, been told they pick & chose their contests...they, allegedly, have been told this on 4 occasions over the past 6 weeks.

We were told that playerS would be dropped and others told this is their last chance. (Remember we are playing a team that doesn't want to win!)

Reality: Jones (deservedly) and NWM (scapegoated)

If we lose this week I can already see the omissions: Windhager & Sharman & Connolly

INS: Jones & Kent & Joyce

How can we expect our players to be accountable when selection Isn't?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Fri 22 Jul 2022 8:28am I’ll never get the strange vengefulness that drives many fans, who seem more excited about the idea of players being dropped than of players performing well and winning us games.

And there seems to be no understanding of our poor depth due to injuries.
Sure, let’s drop Hill for a massively important game? Who for, Connolly or Bytel? If we aren’t a laughing stock now, we certainly would be if we did that.
Short term pain for long term gain.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Gee I can see a loss coming out way over in the west against this year's wooden spooners.

The bottom line is probably we have 8 to 10 AFL grade players on our list and then it drops away dramatically.

I mean any side that picks a player like Sharman in the backline or ruck is flat out of players and that's by no means any disrespect to our Sandy players but we literally have zero players to pick from at Sandy.

Interesting times ahead.