Our Captain

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our Captain

Who gives a s*** really

It makes zero difference who the captain is, it’s just a title.

You flip a coin, give a speech (which most aren’t listening to) and are generally a good player anyway

The biggest thing Steele has to worry about is his output as a player… everything else is irrelevant window dressing!

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

B.M wrote: Wed 20 Jul 2022 10:33pm Who gives a s*** really

It makes zero difference who the captain is, it’s just a title.

You flip a coin, give a speech (which most aren’t listening to) and are generally a good player anyway

The biggest thing Steele has to worry about is his output as a player… everything else is irrelevant window dressing!
There's been a rule for decades in footy.
Players will be reported and fined for approaching and talking to any umpires unless directly involved in play.
Except the captain, who can and should approach the field umps at these breaks- qtr time, half-time, 3 qtr time.

He'a the only player permitted to do so.

He can ask the umps for clarification on HTB rules (like our tackles being unrewarded) and HTM such as King being held unfairly and his run blocked.

A captain needs to be diplomatic and be able to communicate with maggots.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Ratts presser today really turned up the heat on Steele.

There is no illusion or confusion as to what Ratta wants to see improve within the team. And it's hard not to disagree if you watch our games.

We give games away too easily and too quickly. On field leadership has been an issue for the list for many seasons now however this list has grown in much experience so there should be no excuse.

The only reason I can think we lack it is because we don't have any StKilda DNA in the club anymore. Our list is made up of moneyball imports and even our Captain is an import.

Very easy to throw the towel in if you don't care about the jumper but are collecting a nice earner.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

... and lead or provoke the best out of his troops

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Messaging:
Coach
Lift! Lift!
Player
But I was clear on my right?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

This is funny stuff, St Kilda DNA...what does that even mean? The Saints Disco??? 8 cents in the dollar??? No more G-Trains??? Don't recruit players from other clubs, stick fat with Newnes, White, Lonie and Minchington???

Melbourne must be cursing the lack of demon DNA that May, Lever, Langdon and Brown have - poor buggers should have stuck with Kent.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Our Captain has been unsighted this week which is strange in the week Ratts has been highly critical of on filed leadership which has been poor from Steele the past few games.

SaintJohno
Club Player

Reminds me of Coniglio at GWS who was/is a very good player but seems to be better without the pressure of captaincy. May be an introvert but is awesome at what he does.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintJohno wrote: Fri 22 Jul 2022 9:32pm Reminds me of Coniglio at GWS who was/is a very good player but seems to be better without the pressure of captaincy. May be an introvert but is awesome at what he does.
Even Roo singled him out for his poor Captaincy performance and said he needs to improve his leadership and get a little more edgy, said he probably needs to turn into Captain grumpy.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

What a load of s***!! What difference does being Captain make?

10 X out of 13 games supporters on here have given him votes

And he came back early from an AC joint op

As Captain in the last two seasons he has been phenomenal

This is garbage

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 22 Jul 2022 11:15pm What a load of s***!! What difference does being Captain make?

10 X out of 13 games supporters on here have given him votes

And he came back early from an AC joint op

As Captain in the last two seasons he has been phenomenal

This is garbage
You'd think Roo is qualified to give critisism.

SaintJohno
Club Player

I agree with many of your views BM but to say that being captain doesn't put an extra layer of pressure on a young bloke is not realistic. He earned the votes and definitely deserved them, but that's about footy, not necessarily leadership.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

St KFC DNA is a myth.
Let's look at other clubs- Demons have been mentioned.
What about Matthew Pavlich, who was born and bred in SA. He was a proud Docker.
Jonno Brown was born n bred in Warrnambool or near there, did that impact him moving 2100 km to Brissie?
Alistair Lynch is from Tassie, he was happy to go to Brissie.
Buddy Franklin went to Sydney, no probs.

Harry Taylor from Geelong- born n grew up in Northampton, 4 hrs drive north of Perth. Who knew?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 22 Jul 2022 11:32pm St KFC DNA is a myth.
Let's look at other clubs- Demons have been mentioned.
What about Matthew Pavlich, who was born and bred in SA. He was a proud Docker.
Jonno Brown was born n bred in Warrnambool or near there, did that impact him moving 2100 km to Brissie?
Alistair Lynch is from Tassie, he was happy to go to Brissie.
Buddy Franklin went to Sydney, no probs.

Harry Taylor from Geelong- born n grew up in Northampton, 4 hrs drive north of Perth. Who knew?
All good players, none of them wanted to play for the Aints, i wonder why ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

I imagine relations between Coach and Captain are a bit frosty.
Might Ratts like JS to come out publicly and say Ratts can't coach?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 24 Jul 2022 9:03am I imagine relations between Coach and Captain are a bit frosty.
Might Ratts like JS to come out publicly and say Ratts can't coach?
I recon most supporters would have accepted any words out of Steele's mouth this week...crickets.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Why are people so keen on hearing words? It's Sunday morning, find any used car lot if you want to be sold a lemon.

We heard from the coach and his actions at selection hardly matched those words.

I only want to see action and accountability by the players who have the honour of pulling on the St Kilda jumper.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 24 Jul 2022 10:31am Why are people so keen on hearing words? It's Sunday morning, find any used car lot if you want to be sold a lemon.

We heard from the coach and his actions at selection hardly matched those words.

I only want to see action and accountability by the players who have the honour of pulling on the St Kilda jumper.
Is it an honour anymore or is it just a job?

The tribalism around club land died years ago when the AFL corporatatised the comp. Players are all employees of the one factory. Colours and Jumpers don't have the same honour anymore.

I think we are going to be shocked today at just how quickly our club can implode. I may be pleasantly surprised and hope to be proven wrong but I think the white flag went up at 3 quarter time last week. Ratts addressed the players by himself at quarter time and half time apparently, told the assistants he wanted to be the only voice. Then they come out after half time and give nothing. I've progressed this week and thought if players have given up on the coach in less than 4 weeks of the season then I'm really sad about our whole club. What a bunch of losers the whole lot of them, from the board down to T74, just never seem to be able to get their act together as collective. So if it makes supporters feel better to blame one person then good for them but the reality is it's really just on a crappy organisation. Perennial losers.

Like I say I hope they prove me wrong but after learning what I did this week I am very concerned the players have run the white flag up the pole.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

hmmmmm

that was a tough read

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 24 Jul 2022 12:17pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sun 24 Jul 2022 10:31am Why are people so keen on hearing words? It's Sunday morning, find any used car lot if you want to be sold a lemon.

Is it an honour anymore or is it just a job?

The tribalism around club land died years ago when the AFL corporatatised the comp. Players are all employees of the one factory. Colours and Jumpers don't have the same honour anymore.

I think we are going to be shocked today at just how quickly our club can implode. I may be pleasantly surprised and hope to be proven wrong but I think the white flag went up at 3 quarter time last week. Ratts addressed the players by himself at quarter time and half time apparently, told the assistants he wanted to be the only voice. Then they come out after half time and give nothing. I've progressed this week and thought if players have given up on the coach in less than 4 weeks of the season then I'm really sad about our whole club. What a bunch of losers the whole lot of them, from the board down to T74, just never seem to be able to get their act together as collective. So if it makes supporters feel better to blame one person then good for them but the reality is it's really just on a crappy organisation. Perennial losers.

Like I say I hope they prove me wrong but after learning what I did this week I am very concerned the players have run the white flag up the pole.
Me? I think it is the supporters who have been waiving the white flag. Been doing it for weeks now. Sick making actually.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

38 touches.

Get rid of him.

Love it when Secret_kiel blesses us with one of his great calls :lol:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Sorry, 40.

Drop him.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Didn’t age well did it

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

He's a gun & a good captain ,sets the example to suggest other wise IMO is foolish

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Sun 24 Jul 2022 8:35pm He's a gun & a good captain ,sets the example to suggest other wise IMO is foolish
As I said earlier he is the best option for capt that we have. Wilkie 2nd