Sydney Stack ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sydney Stack ?

Why is it every year us Saints supporters fall in love with a delisted player and have to have him like he is the second coming?

He may become a worthy player, but atm he has a long way back to even get another chance.

Templar
Club Player

In this case because an AFL ready, high marking hard nut with excellent disposal and evasion skills and who knows where the goals are will come in very bloody handy and without breaking the bank.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Tue 20 Dec 2022 10:17pm In this case because an AFL ready, high marking hard nut with excellent disposal and evasion skills and who knows where the goals are will come in very bloody handy and without breaking the bank.
If he is a super star surely every club would be chasing him - wouldnt they?

Templar
Club Player

I hope not!

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Templar
Club Player

Potential super star. At worst a VGOP.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Players like Stack are worth the risk when you have the leadership and experience within your list to keep them heading the right direction.

We don't have that. He is not what we need right now.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 20 Dec 2022 9:49pm Why is it every year us Saints supporters fall in love with a delisted player and have to have him like he is the second coming?

He may become a worthy player, but atm he has a long way back to even get another chance.
The scientists call it Sharman Syndrome.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 20 Dec 2022 9:49pm Why is it every year us Saints supporters fall in love with a delisted player and have to have him like he is the second coming?
Cultural cringe?

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 21 Dec 2022 10:53am
Cultural cringe?
I think most supporters fans do this. not just the Saints fans

Templar
Club Player

Many Richmond fans screaming to re-list him. Wonder why?

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Beno88 wrote: Wed 21 Dec 2022 7:47am Players like Stack are worth the risk when you have the leadership and experience within your list to keep them heading the right direction.

Well kindly let us all know when we have that.

Or because we are who we are, then we can't have "nice things"?

Pretty sure we had "leadership and experience" when we traded for Lovett and that went pear-shaped.

Doesn't matter how much of the above a club has, if the individual falls into his bad habits, then that is solely on him and no amount of work senior players at a Club put into him will change that.

Club needs to show some cahones and take a chance on this bloke, otherwise I can see him getting a chance at a club like Freo (wouldn't think they'd have much more leadership and experience than us) and absolutely rip it up.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 19 Dec 2022 4:55pm
Sanctorum wrote: Mon 19 Dec 2022 12:25pm
bergsone wrote: Sun 18 Dec 2022 6:59pm Stack for B.Long a like for like ?
Stack in top form way better than Ben Long, he's a potential match winner, Long has mostly been just average ...lacks consistency.
Subjective opinion there from you.

How many "consistent" games of seniors has Stack played in a single season versus Ben? I'll tell you

Stack played 9 games in 2020 and 7 in 2021 and only 2 senior AFL games this current season

What do the facts say? Check their averages and compare

Stack versus Long in 2020 is a good measure because Stack played his most games

Check the website 'footywire' and compare current player for Gold Coast (Ben Long) for most recent current season versus current player for Richmond (Stack) for current season. Ben's averages are better

For the first 3 years of his career you also have to factor in that Ben was playing under Richo in a bottom of the ladder team.
Yes Scollop, very much a subjective view but I'll stick with my gut feeling that Sydney Stack, if he puts his head down and gets some strong guidance from coaches and team mates such as Bradley Hill and other team leaders has the potential and skills to become a very good player for the Saints.

On Ben Long, I really had high hopes that he would develop into a hard-running, hard-hitting utility in either defence or attack, but sadly in the 6 seasons he played for St Kilda he never achieved that goal, I hope he finds his mojo with the Suns because I doubt he would ever get there with the Saints.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

TimeToShineFellas wrote: Wed 21 Dec 2022 2:52pm
Beno88 wrote: Wed 21 Dec 2022 7:47am Players like Stack are worth the risk when you have the leadership and experience within your list to keep them heading the right direction.

Well kindly let us all know when we have that.

Or because we are who we are, then we can't have "nice things"?

Pretty sure we had "leadership and experience" when we traded for Lovett and that went pear-shaped.

Doesn't matter how much of the above a club has, if the individual falls into his bad habits, then that is solely on him and no amount of work senior players at a Club put into him will change that.

Club needs to show some cahones and take a chance on this bloke, otherwise I can see him getting a chance at a club like Freo (wouldn't think they'd have much more leadership and experience than us) and absolutely rip it up.
Strange question.

A playing group almost exclusively gains experience via the method of playing AFL matches.

Leadership stems from those with a strong combination of desire, talent, confidence, experience, courage and respect - at this stage our playing group has few players meeting this criteria - but that will improve with time, development and good coaching.

It has nothing to do with "nice things". In fact, a delisted footballer of 35 games experience, with a complicated past is hardly a "nice thing". I'll be as happy as everyone else if we take him and it works, but I don't believe the reward outweighs the risk on this one.

Your final two sentences contradict each other.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Brief recap. Background: AFL in existential crisis because of Covid. Trying to make the Hub model on the GC work, save the industry, small beer you say?
Stack and Coleman-Jones were drinking at a club/AFL sanctioned hub event. Continued drinking in room. Broke curfew went to Hollywood Showgirls Strip Club in an Uber. Yep, an Uber. Evicted by the Strip Club they get in a brawl metres from a Cop Shop, officers attend. Stack taken into custody. Both men sustained facial injuries, both received police banning notices. Players each suspended for 10 games and fined $75k @. Stack on about $110k at the time so clearly money and long term career not an issue for him. Both no longer with Richmond; Coleman Jones with bottom club North.

Now argue seriously we need what Stack brings, he would have to have Ablett like abilities to even enter into discussing it, surely, and then you'd say no, plenty of reliable talent around with IQs higher than their shoe size and professional attitude.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 21 Dec 2022 3:33pm
Stack in top form way better than Ben Long, he's a potential match winner, Long has mostly been just average ...lacks consistency.

How many "consistent" games of seniors has Stack played in a single season versus Ben? I'll tell you

Stack played 9 games in 2020 and 7 in 2021 and only 2 senior AFL games this current season

Check the website 'footywire' and compare current player for Gold Coast (Ben Long) for most recent current season versus current player for Richmond (Stack) for current season. Ben's averages are better

For the first 3 years of his career you also have to factor in that Ben was playing under Richo in a bottom of the ladder team.
Yes Scollop, very much a subjective view but I'll stick with my gut feeling that Sydney Stack, if he puts his head down and gets some strong guidance from coaches and team mates such as Bradley Hill and other team leaders has the potential and skills to become a very good player for the Saints.

On Ben Long, I really had high hopes that he would develop into a hard-running, hard-hitting utility in either defence or attack, but sadly in the 6 seasons he played for St Kilda he never achieved that goal, I hope he finds his mojo with the Suns because I doubt he would ever get there with the Saints.
Several very interesting observations there with your final statement

With Long you have to understand that the Saints played him as a forward for most of his career

Ben was challenged by Brett Ratten to change from the forward line to the backline and he delivered with a very good and consistent year in 2020. His numbers were as good as Coffield, Clark, and even Paton.

How is Ben any different to the players mentioned. They have all had interrupted careers for one reason or another.

Can I just say that Ben Long did find his mojo with the Saints and he proved during several games what he was capable of but the club has a history of losing talent to its competitors

Did you watch the round 23 match against Sydney?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Ben Long was underwhelming

Played the odd good game - a lot of average or below average ones

Hard at it - but never impacted much

Phantom Drafts had us taking Shai Bolton- who went 4 picks after Ben. Imagine?!

Picked the wrong guy again!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Stack would be a lot of work - with no guarantees

In fact there’d be a less than 20% chance he’d make it imo

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

So no different than the majority of recruits

Except this one has shown when he commits himself he can make a difference

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

So you just ignored Stack's first season 2019 when he played 17 games and looked like a superstar in the making?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Club Player

Stack would cost us bugger all. If you think he might be disruptive then we are a pretty piss weak club.
Last edited by 1971 on Wed 21 Dec 2022 10:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

ace
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 21 Dec 2022 6:14pm Ben Long was underwhelming

Played the odd good game - a lot of average or below average ones

Hard at it - but never impacted much

Phantom Drafts had us taking Shai Bolton- who went 4 picks after Ben. Imagine?!

Picked the wrong guy again!
No, picked the wrong name.
Just like they did with Nicolas Winmar.
Dreaming not looking at reality.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

It seems like the old tug of war between "is he a genuine talent" OR "we are afraid of missing out in case he's a genuine talent"...hopefully the Club has the right measurements in place (& we do not rely on character references from Hird & Sheedy).

B.M
Saintsational Legend

What is the best predictor of future behaviour?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Where do babies come from?

“Yeah….nah””
Rubyjo
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 21 Dec 2022 10:18pm What is the best predictor of future behaviour?
By what you are doing in the present.