Whispers of Bing to Pies

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Whispers of Bing to Pies

Don’t get two far ahead yourselves on Caminiti
R
Ross Lyon quickly poured cold water on a journo’s suggestion he had been excellent - saying he’s be ok - but from where he’s come from has done well!

Ben King has had a 47 goal season and is coming off a reco
But has proven he can play well at the level.

He’s a different player to Max

He is more like Ben Brown - lead and mark
Max is more like Joe Daniher - jump and contested mark

I like Camaniti

But clearly would prefer Ben King

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Granted, I’ve gone very early but it was Ross himself who said how well Anthony has been doing after the Essendon game. It will be interesting to see how AC goes after a full preseason.

Ben will come at a premium.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
spert
Saintsational Legend

You can have either Max or Ben but not both- too similar and predictable. I would rather go after midfielders, as that's what got the Woods over the line last week against us.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 19 Apr 2023 7:12pm
The_Dud wrote: Wed 19 Apr 2023 7:03pm
Ghost Like wrote: Wed 19 Apr 2023 6:21pm the King brothers would be a marketers dream for the St Kilda F.C..
This is correct, would be a marketers dream, I’m sure they’ll help sell a bunch of tickets and memberships.

But if delivering premierships is what we’re interested in, then it’s the wrong move.

Unless they’re both willing to forgo millions of dollars each over their careers, the cost in salary cap and draft picks would hamper the rest of the team too much to achieve the ultimate success IMO

Multiple superstar mids is what u need to win premierships.
In our GF years I am quite sure our mids were not the issue. If we can get the right cattle, the right bounce & some accuracy & composure, then we will win a Premiership.

May as well sell the Club & the Dream in the meantime.
Precisely. We had 4 elite players running thru the middle complimented by A and B graders.

No use having a stacked forward line if you don’t have a good enough midfield to win enough ball to get it to them.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
stkfc1
Club Player

Bing would give us real flexibility as he can go both ends of the ground. They would be poster boys for St Kilda for years. Marketing wet dream.

It's the cost I'm worried about. We have to be careful to keep this young core together and I don't want Bing if it means loosing one or two of our young guns. It wouldn't be worth it.

On the flip side It would be very attractive to a gun FA, if they're both firing for us..

If he is a chance to come to us, I just hope we play it smart.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 19 Apr 2023 7:49pm It depends on the deal but I’ve seen enough of Caminiti to suggest that he is going to be an excellent foil for Max over the next 10 years.
Agree on Kid Caminiti so long as he’s not a serial tribunal goer.

Also, having two King brothers would give us big salary cap problems. Not sure St Kilda could afford to have that many eggs in just two baskets.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sebastian Tombs wrote: Wed 19 Apr 2023 11:30am
Teflon wrote: Wed 19 Apr 2023 9:08am In todays Hun
Suggested it’s already in the works
Shame if true
1 I hate them
2 we miss an opportunity to have a deadly fwd 50
Spose it’ll be $$ decided
I do continue to have a chuckle to my self when I see posters on here refer to players by nicknames is it too show how 'cool' you are or are you just too lazy to write the full name? I still have no f****** clue who "Bing" is,then the post it's self where you refer to a article that you don't link to or better still cut and paste it here so the rest of us can read it
Yeah I here ya
I have the same chuckle at stupid lazy posters who can’t source their own articles (even after they’ve been told the source) or work out whose being discussed off a very commonly used Nic on a footy fan site
Is it to show how stupid you must be?
You only look cool if you post on a site like this how you hang out with players uncles like good ole DB (you’ll have to look that up 😏)

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Wed 19 Apr 2023 5:21pm Max and Ben in the forward line, rotating through defence as a kickout target, absorbing all the opposition's defenders ... crazy not to take it.

Would be huge, good for St Kilda and good for the game.

Ben out of form right now which should make him more gettable.
Bing (who everybody knows is John Snow by his real name for those new to the site/Saints) rotating high up the ground to provide that longer wing target to support transition before doubling back to forward 50 as another option would be a huge get
Would he have to take unders?? Probably but if use the prospect of….how much do you 2 want to play together in a Saints Premiership??
Mids can be gotten - we don’t get too many stars with that strong a link to our club….you take quality if you can get it
Caminiti is great ….but I’m still taking Bing

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Wed 19 Apr 2023 9:11pm You can have either Max or Ben but not both- too similar and predictable. I would rather go after midfielders, as that's what got the Woods over the line last week against us.
Watching I don’t think they’re at all similar
Ones a contested marking beast likes to stay home
The others a mobile lead up forward who just happens to have also played key defensive roles too…
That’s the mix you want
Throw in a nice 3rd tall - Caminit who is mobile
Move Owens/Poo to midfield
Problem solved

“Yeah….nah””
lefty
Club Player

Would have both Kings in a heartbeat.

Sides that win have two power forwards - ie Hawkins / Cameron

Come home Bing

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sold on the idea of us getting Bing. Do we really want two ruck-sized forwards who go at less than one tackle per game taking up 2mil (15%) of the salary cap? Then there's the fact that they've played 108 games between them out of a possible 178, so they've each played about 60% of the time. Then there's the fact that we'd probably have to cough up two first rounders and a best 22 player to bring him in. Caminiti, Hayes and Keeler would probably all move on for greater opportunity.

If we somehow swung a deal where we're not paying too much I'd be happy to have him but I don't think he should be our top priority and the likely cost is too high.

avid
Club Player

Beno88 wrote: Wed 19 Apr 2023 11:56am If it's in the Herald Sun, you can be absolutely certain it won't happen.

If Ben King leaves the Suns, it'll be to come and play with his twin brother at the club he grew up supporting.

Otherwise, he'll stay put.
I'm agreeing with Waltzing St Kilda, Ghost Like, and especially Beno88

If B King is the person of character I think he is, that is the way it should be.
I admire him for sticking with Gold Coast. And I think it would be entirely understandable if he just really really wanted to play with his brother (and the Mighty Saints!)

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

B. King seems to have a problem catching the ball, but that might suit Collingwoods' Daicos twins.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Everyone is talking about Ben King will be coming at a premium. That’s if Gold Coast are happy to break his contract this year and trade him on (which I highly doubt). Ben King is actually a free agent after the 2024 season and will come to us for nothing except $$$.

We will probably go after Paddy Dow and / or Dekoning this year anyway.

wally
Club Player

Imagine going to Collingwood on a big dollar long term deal you wouldn’t know when you were going to be moved along same as Grundy and Trelor I guess Geelong will land him to replace Hawkins they seem to have a bottomless salary cap

older saint
SS Life Member

Been saying for 2 years it doesn't make sense with our current personnel and is probably only being talked about due to surname.

I don't think you can have 2 * 200cm forwards in the one forward line in today's game.
Perhaps as a CHB he makes more sense.

With what you will have to pay - on a needs basis it is quality ball using mids our biggest weakness.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Thu 20 Apr 2023 1:29pm Been saying for 2 years it doesn't make sense with our current personnel and is probably only being talked about due to surname.

I don't think you can have 2 * 200cm forwards in the one forward line in today's game.

With what you will have to pay - on a needs basis it is quality ball using mids our biggest weakness.
Not only do I think two tall forwards will be the norm within a decade, I think two ruck types will be too.

Based om how basketball got taller and also on rule changes re. concussion and slinging and such.

Not too many giraffes wear the helmet.*

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
older saint
SS Life Member

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 20 Apr 2023 2:09pm
older saint wrote: Thu 20 Apr 2023 1:29pm Been saying for 2 years it doesn't make sense with our current personnel and is probably only being talked about due to surname.

Not only do I think two tall forwards will be the norm within a decade, I think two ruck types will be too.

Based om how basketball got taller and also on rule changes re. concussion and slinging and such.

Not too many giraffes wear the helmet.*
Will be interesting to see what happens.

That said having coached semi pro basketball the last 10 years it hasn't got taller, if anything small ball has become more popular. What we have seen is taller players having a different skill set compared to the past .
AFL has seen the dinosaur become extinct and perhaps if they change the ruck laws it may work. 2 tall key forwards are already common, however at least one is great below their knees , the king boys are both good below the knees as all commentators say - for their size.
Time will tell which way it goes.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Thu 20 Apr 2023 11:07am Everyone is talking about Ben King will be coming at a premium. That’s if Gold Coast are happy to break his contract this year and trade him on (which I highly doubt). Ben King is actually a free agent after the 2024 season and will come to us for nothing except $$$.
Restricted FA. GC would just need to match the offer to force a trade.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 19 Apr 2023 9:44am Would take B.King in a heartbeat

To win a premiership you need a point of difference

2 x 200+cm forwards as athletic as them would give us that

A potent weapon

They would be a better version of Hipwood and Daniher
Wouldn't work, our forward line would be top heavy, we don't need him, particularly at the price he'd command.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I think it would be great but,

1) AFL don't want Ben coming to St Kilda. They want him to stay at GC and GC to win a premiership. That is the AFL ultimate fantasy, go to go and collect $200 dream.
2) Ben's Mrs and family are happy up there, family first, family second and finally, family first.
3) I still think it's a good idea (to come to St Kilda) Our current forward line is nothing...yet..it has a giant sign in the middle of the road that says, 'Man at Work'

But Ben would be a rocket like this one..

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
theoracle
Club Player

The Oracle sees all, hears all, knows all.
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Here is the article referenced in the OP for those who do not have a Newscorp subscription.

The article is pure speculation, no substance and taken from ramblings of a podcast.
Appears to be little more than space filler during a slow AFL news week.

Herald Sun Footy Podcast: Listen as our experts take you through the biggest news in the AFL following Gather Round

The thought of Nick Daicos hitting Ben King on the lead will make any Collingwood fan excited – and it might already be more than wishful thinking. Here’s the latest.

2 min read
April 18, 2023 - 5:52PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
48 comments

Collingwood would be “licking their chops” at the prospect of jagging key forward Ben King out of Gold Coast - and may already be working on doing so.

Herald Sun football journalist Jay Clark joined the Herald Sun Footy Podcast to lift the lid on just how far out the deals get going, and said if the recent example of Tom Lynch from Gold Coast to Richmond was anything to go by, talks on King could already be well underway.

“Richmond were all over him two years out,” Clark said.
“It’s really strategic, it’s really methodical. Every list manager tracks basically every player in the competition.

“They know exactly where they’re at.
“(Lynch’s manager) Robbie D’Orazio sat next to (Tigers CEO) Brendon Gale at the 2017 grand final, which they won. Then in 2018, they lost the prelim to Collingwood and he came after that.

“You can picture it, they’re talking about ‘hey, imagine, Tom Lynch out of the goalsquare … it’s long-range planning.
“They’re all over everything. Nothing like this happens by chance.”

Clark said King’s “slow start to the season” would have piqued interest.
“(We know) he’s a really talented player, he hasn’t really fired to start 2023,” he said.

“He’s out of contract next year … Collingwood would just be licking their chops.
“They’ve got Nick Daicos … they’d be the best Batman and Robin double-act in the competition of their age.

“It’s probably the one missing link, in that sense – the prime key forward, they probably don’t have on their list.
“Ben King - he’d be sitting back at the moment … how many years does he give Gold Coast?.”

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

If Bing wants out, we would be mad not to show interest. Im sure the club would fit him in somewhere, whether it's forward or back. He would be a great get.

Having said that, it wouldn't be the worst result if he didn't end up at the Saints. As with some luck, we will have some other key forward options moving forward, Hayes, Caminiti, and Keeler. We have seen what Hayes & Caminiti are capable of. If Keeler makes it, we will have plenty of options.

I think our current list still needs elite midfielders moving forward, so I would like the club to target mids when possible.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Tom Browne has nfi even though his old man is Collingwood Pres. Tommy would be last to know if they're chasing him

I'd be backing Jay Clarke before I go with anything Tommy is thinking

It makes more sense. McStay is 27, Mihocheck and Mason Cox are both over 30