Cordy is important to us structurally....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Cordy is important to us structurally....

With King in the side, arguably you don't need either Cordy or Caminiti.

I'd still play Caminiti and King as either of them have the ability to move up and down the wing to contest the long ball out of D50 which we seem to love.

I reckon we could snag at least 3 goals a game with clunk mark on the wing followed by a quick I50 entry to a 1 on 1.

The other argument is do you use Cordy to play a negative role on the tall intercept defender. King is wasted doing this.

66Iwasthere
Club Player

Just watching Cordy this morning at training, in match sim, he plays differently than he does on game day. He is quite an effective forward. He must be instructed on game day to just be a nuisance, provide bulk and size, like somebody mentioned earlier, and provide cover for the forwards and not be relied on to kick goals

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

66Iwasthere wrote: Fri 05 May 2023 2:14pm Just watching Cordy this morning at training, in match sim, he plays differently than he does on game day. He is quite an effective forward. He must be instructed on game day to just be a nuisance, provide bulk and size, like somebody mentioned earlier, and provide cover for the forwards and not be relied on to kick goals
Interesting observation.
He's obviously doing what the coaches have asked him to do going by the repeated mentions from RTB after games.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I think you need to have 2 gears and have the ability to switch on that offensive method, because you need to be of concern to the opposition.

Needs to kick a bag and get on the oppo coaches radar.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Fri 05 May 2023 2:50pm I think you need to have 2 gears and have the ability to switch on that offensive method, because you need to be of concern to the opposition.

I don’t even think that he needs to kick a bag… but IMO he needs to be more present in play. You note in 66IWT’s post… the same observation that everyone makes when discussing his role:
“He must be instructed on game day to just be a nuisance, provide bulk and size, like somebody mentioned earlier, and provide cover for the forwards”

All of that is supposed to be the not negotiables that come the other stuff e.g. actually getting to contests. The reason I don’t rate the output is because he’s never near the ball.
You read every match day thread “is he even playing” subbed off and then a spiel about how he does his role. If Caminati can actually get to contests, bring the ball to ground and influence play… Cordy should too otherwise IMO it’s a waste not playing anyone else who could provide something else in addition to “presence”.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

RL says he plays a sacrificial game.

So can only conclude he is for ‘furniture’ exhibit

Even so, why then take him off for the last quarter?

My illinformed-as-anyone-not-in-the-know opinion says, the game model for last quarters is different.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 05 May 2023 3:14pm
Otiman wrote: Fri 05 May 2023 2:50pm I think you need to have 2 gears and have the ability to switch on that offensive method, because you need to be of concern to the opposition.

I don’t even think that he needs to kick a bag… but IMO he needs to be more present in play. You note in 66IWT’s post… the same observation that everyone makes when discussing his role:
“He must be instructed on game day to just be a nuisance, provide bulk and size, like somebody mentioned earlier, and provide cover for the forwards”

All of that is supposed to be the not negotiables that come the other stuff e.g. actually getting to contests. The reason I don’t rate the output is because he’s never near the ball.
You read every match day thread “is he even playing” subbed off and then a spiel about how he does his role. If Caminati can actually get to contests, bring the ball to ground and influence play… Cordy should too otherwise IMO it’s a waste not playing anyone else who could provide something else in addition to “presence”.
I get what you're saying, BUT he must be doing something right according to the coaches.
They keep picking him to play the same role week after week.
Most think he's not producing much but none of us on here actually know what his role is (what the coaches have asked of him) and whether he's fulfilling that role.
We're viewing his output in the context of what WE expect he should be producing.
It's obvious to me that in this period of our lack of tall options down forward, he's getting games for a reason.
Maybe some of us think the resoning behind him getting games is flawed, but hey, the coaches will live/die by the results of their selections/game plan.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Appreciate it is a coincidence but Cordy off for the last quarter, Port tall defenders mark at will. Fish in a barrel shooting like.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 05 May 2023 4:47pm Appreciate it is a coincidence but Cordy off for the last quarter, Port tall defenders mark at will. Fish in a barrel shooting like.
RTB mentioned in his pressure he instructed them to go long into F50 and they were "too coachable" in that respect.

I think more about the quality of the entries than the structure.