Port Adelaide are exposing our form

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: Port Adelaide are exposing our form

The_Dud wrote: Sat 03 Jun 2023 4:41pm We haven’t played a good game since round 4. I few ok once and plenty of crap ones since then.
We haven't played the same since round 4. But we've only lost 2 last quarters.

Adelaide by 5 points, in a flogging and Hawthorn. No anomalies though. It's a curse and last year is repeating.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

The game highlights player attitude.
If the match was over here Hawks probably would have done better but over there the players subconsciously don't believe they can win and play accordingly.
Port on the other hand , want to make a statement and did , then once the game essentially over they've gone into protection mode and hawthorn have been able to make the scoreboard more respectable.
Last week game was completely different, Hawks confidence was high and they played with spirit.
Our players were off from the start .
Hell we barely touched the ball in the first five minutes of the game and were lucky to be in the match most of the game .
This unpredictable attitude is what has plagued us for years . We've shown we can beat anybody , when we play our best football.
Unfortunately far too often the players look second rate .
I was hoping RTB coming back would see an attitude change, and early season form seemed to show this , but the last month were back to the Richo/Ratts year where we never knew what Stkilda was going to turn up .
Hopefully this will change next week
But F@#$ 👃
Last edited by mr six o'clock on Sat 03 Jun 2023 6:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

In red white and black from 73
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Only Seb kicked it to Sicily?

How’d he get 43

Seb only got 10 or so - 2 were goal assists?

Come to think of it Teffers - not sure he kicked to him once - but if he did, he wasn’t Robinson Crusoe - maybe if the coach put a little bit of time and strategy into Sicily we wouldn’t have lost to 17th???

BTW
I like Ross as a coach - I just like seeing you justify how things are different this year compared to last?

Coach main factor
Now
List main factor

It’s hilarious contradiction

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 03 Jun 2023 5:53pm Only Seb kicked it to Sicily?

How’d he get 43

Seb only got 10 or so - 2 were goal assists?

Come to think of it Teffers - not sure he kicked to him once - but if he did, he wasn’t Robinson Crusoe - maybe if the coach put a little bit of time and strategy into Sicily we wouldn’t have lost to 17th???

BTW
I like Ross as a coach - I just like seeing you justify how things are different this year compared to last?

Coach main factor
Now
List main factor

It’s hilarious contradiction
If you can’t see the difference of this year to last you are arguing we should’ve kept Ratten
You could be…you’re that dumb
I can’t help you

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 03 Jun 2023 5:28pm Experienced players who haven't performed or aren't performing need to just stay in the reserves I think now. They can help to support the youth at Sandringham, and hopefully help them to win a few games.
We still have players getting games off reputations and they are the same ones who don't stand up when the pressure is on.
The Hawthorn loss speaks for itself really.
Good post
We just have to look to the future
My only frustration with Lyon will be if we don’t start to change that midfield mix
It’s been let go under Ratten and Richo too long
Time to change it
Lyon has the time with 4 years
Make the change now
Don’t care if we lose a few get games into kids now

“Yeah….nah””
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Adelaide were beaten easily by the Suns tonight in a game which wasn't even played in Queensland.
In the last six weeks they have only won two matches, and the only comprehensive win they had was against us.
I am happy for the Suns to win against them, but I do feel quite disappointed by the fact that the Crows' recent form has really been mediocre apart from their game against us over there.

On the bright side, match results this round so far have all gone our way again and we are still fifth!

We do have a team capable of having a second half of the season like we had in 2021 when we won five out of our last ten, beating Richmond and Collingwood at the MCG, Brisbane in Qld, Sydney, and Freo in Hobart (when they had to win to make finals), and we even nearly beat Geelong in Geelong too. That's exposed form and if we can repeat that performance which we could, we should play finals - or go very close to it.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Sat 03 Jun 2023 3:16pm Port are already up by 6 goals and are likely to at least double that.
Hawks minus Sicily are a far different side than the one we played. No Sicily and we win by 5 or more goals .

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Well at least I’m consistent

- I said it was the list last season
- I said it was the list ever since Chris Pelchen and Tony Elshaug made decisions that completely fkd the club
- I actually said the 2009-10 off season was the beginning of the end, fabric of the club torn, completely ripped in 2012

Ross Lyon is a proven good coach - no argument there. His ability to galvanise and implement a game plan and high performance program is evident- he is a leader

However
He is NOT above reproach - and has made some monumental fk ups. If he did not make these mistakes we’d be content supporters!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 04 Jun 2023 9:50pm Well at least I’m consistent

- I said it was the list last season
- I said it was the list ever since Chris Pelchen and Tony Elshaug made decisions that completely fkd the club
- I actually said the 2009-10 off season was the beginning of the end, fabric of the club torn, completely ripped in 2012

Ross Lyon is a proven good coach - no argument there. His ability to galvanise and implement a game plan and high performance program is evident- he is a leader

However
He is NOT above reproach - and has made some monumental fk ups. If he did not make these mistakes we’d be content supporters!
So you’re in the “we only lost GFs because of Ross Lyon” camp
Yep you’re consistent…consistently wrong.
And I thought coaches didn’t matter…
Still …at least Lyon got us to a shot …others couldn’t ..

“Yeah….nah””
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

No game plan can survive our level of skill.
Ross Lyon is a better coach than Ratten, no doubt.
But, as my Dad used to say on the way home from Moorabbin, "You can't make raspberry jam out of horse manure*".

* He might have used a more colourful word than manure

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 05 Jun 2023 9:36am No game plan can survive our level of skill.
But, as my Dad used to say on the way home from Moorabbin, "You can't make raspberry jam out of horse manure*".

Lyon a better coach than Ratten? I am not so sure about that.

Ratts appears to be doing a better job than Clarko at the Roos. Two very close losses that could quite easily have been wins.

And Clarko is being hailed as the coach of the century.

I wouldn't be blaming the saints players just yet either.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 05 Jun 2023 11:55am
Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 05 Jun 2023 9:36am No game plan can survive our level of skill.

Ratts appears to be doing a better job than Clarko at the Roos. Two very close losses that could quite easily have been wins.

Lyon v Ratten...Records would suggest that your judgement may be clouded.
North have won two games under Clarko and none under Ratten.

The footy we were playing in the first six weeks was as good as we've played since Lyon left in 2011.

Our skill level is not where it should be. We won games on a game plan, energy, and ferocity. That's hard to sustain if that's all you've got.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 05 Jun 2023 12:03pm

The footy we were playing in the first six weeks was as good as we've played since Lyon left in 2011.

Our skill level is not where it should be. We won games on a game plan, energy, and ferocity. That's hard to sustain if that's all you've got.
Great post LLS
I too think we are better coached but not perfect yet it’s 11 ganes
I also think Lyon will know by eve this year who is/isn’t going to cut it
How anyone could suggest Ratten compares to Lyon is clearly brain dead …I mean that’s not even funny …just hatred and stupidity again getting in the way of rational thought

“Yeah….nah””
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I don't think Sicily will ever get close to 43 possessions again, even against West Coast.

Hopefully RL 3.0 still has some improvement in him. Sicily did it too easily against us.
Brings back memories of Harbrow getting his career high possessions against us, and other half back lines having their way with us under RL 1.0.

Both Harbrow and Sicily reached their pinnacle vs an RL coached side - put it that way.

We should note that Sicily's only 187cm tall (Seb Ross's height?) - taking that many intercept marks against us was ridiculous.
Sicily asked too many questions - for which RL had no answers, whatsoever.
Last edited by samoht on Mon 05 Jun 2023 6:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 05 Jun 2023 5:10pm
Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 05 Jun 2023 12:03pm

Great post LLS
How anyone could suggest Ratten compares to Lyon is clearly brain dead …I mean that’s not even funny …just hatred and stupidity again getting in the way of rational thought
Well I for one think your posts are funny. Hilarious in fact. I also think that Ratts coached us better last year than the Flosser Tosser has this year. :twisted:

But then, you are entitled to your opinion as I am entitled to mine, without the obnoxious insults from you.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 05 Jun 2023 6:29pm .... Well I for one think your posts are funny. Hilarious in fact. I also think that Ratts coached us better last year than the Flosser Tosser has this year. :twisted:
There may be some premature adulation going on (re: RL) - I agree, saynta.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 05 Jun 2023 5:10pm Great post LLS
Thanks for the vote of support, but I am not sure the name calling that followed is warranted.

Ross Lyon's departure hurt our club terribly. There was clearly fault on both sides. But he left our club in the wilderness for years following.
I can understand why there is some animosty towards him.

His career record is significantly better than Watters, Richo, and Ratten. That is just a fact.
I don't know any of them personally, so I can't judge what sort of blokes they were. But the way that the overhwelming majority of Ross Lyon coached players talk about him says that he is clearly doing something right.
I've never heard the same level of admiration and respect directed towards any of our coaches since Lyon.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

We won't be 5th for long if we lose to the Swines

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 05 Jun 2023 8:39pm
Teflon wrote: Mon 05 Jun 2023 5:10pm Great post LLS
Thanks for the vote of support, but I am not sure the name calling that followed is warranted.

Ross Lyon's departure hurt our club terribly. There was clearly fault on both sides. But he left our club in the wilderness for years following.
I can understand why there is some animosty towards him.

His career record is significantly better than Watters, Richo, and Ratten. That is just a fact.
I don't know any of them personally, so I can't judge what sort of blokes they were. But the way that the overhwelming majority of Ross Lyon coached players talk about him says that he is clearly doing something right.
I've never heard the same level of admiration and respect directed towards any of our coaches since Lyon.
All good LLS
I left out the babe if that helps but stabs by the view.
Agree re Lyon and feedback from his players - he’s admired across the Board and Carlton are kicking themselves

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Mon 05 Jun 2023 6:33pm
saynta wrote: Mon 05 Jun 2023 6:29pm .... Well I for one think your posts are funny. Hilarious in fact. I also think that Ratts coached us better last year than the Flosser Tosser has this year. :twisted:
There may be some premature adulation going on (re: RL) - I agree, saynta.
Maybe but the stats back up the argument we’ve played much more 4 qtr consistently already this year
Anyway time will tell
Lyon only has to do better than 3-8 second half year to eclipse last years debacle
I’ll back him - even with twice the injuries Ratten had..

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

No

He has to win 5 of the last 11 to better Ratten

With the same list

Time will tell

On current form we beat WC all other games are potential losses

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 06 Jun 2023 12:20am No

He has to win 5 of the last 11 to better Ratten

With the same list

Time will tell

On current form we beat WC all other games are potential losses
I'd argue the list is better. Maybe 1-2 games better.

Our run home draw is at least 2 games better.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Tue 06 Jun 2023 8:45am I'd argue the list is better. Maybe 1-2 games better.
I'd disagree on the first point. We really miss Paddy Ryder.
And, as infrequent as it was, we were a better team with Hannebery in it.

Stocker is a clear upgrade on Geary, not that he played last season.
Caminiti is still very young and, if we were at full fitness, wouldn't be in our starting 22.
The Pou is special. But ideally would have some time at Sandy learning the craft.

The draw is much better...Although if we dish performances like the one against Hawthorn, it won't matter.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

I agree with Otiman.
We had a very hard run home last year. It wasn't only the second-half injuries that we had to contend with.
West Coast is a certain win.
And our list is better, this year.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Tue 06 Jun 2023 9:37am
Otiman wrote: Tue 06 Jun 2023 8:45am I'd argue the list is better. Maybe 1-2 games better.
I'd disagree on the first point. We really miss Paddy Ryder.
And, as infrequent as it was, we were a better team with Hannebery in it.

Stocker is a clear upgrade on Geary, not that he played last season.
Caminiti is still very young and, if we were at full fitness, wouldn't be in our starting 22.
The Pou is special. But ideally would have some time at Sandy learning the craft.

The draw is much better...Although if we dish performances like the one against Hawthorn, it won't matter.
Long is doing better than just OK at the suns too.