Do you enjoy supporting the Saints?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

Re: Do you enjoy supporting the Saints?

older saint wrote: Fri 06 Aug 2021 7:00pm I look at it like this following Stkilda is like running a marathon, suffering the pain as the kms get harder and harder, thinking will it ever end, imagining the joy and exhilaration that will be felt when your finish and with 500 metres left... snapping an Achilles collapsing unable to move and feeling like it was all for nothing and having to start all over again, which you illogically do.
Absolute gold, older saint! Couldn't have put it any better, unfortunatley!

older saint
SS Life Member

Nick DalSanto Claus wrote: Sun 12 May 2024 6:02pm
older saint wrote: Fri 06 Aug 2021 7:00pm I look at it like this following Stkilda is like running a marathon, suffering the pain as the kms get harder and harder, thinking will it ever end, imagining the joy and exhilaration that will be felt when your finish and with 500 metres left... snapping an Achilles collapsing unable to move and feeling like it was all for nothing and having to start all over again, which you illogically do.
Absolute gold, older saint! Couldn't have put it any better, unfortunatley!
Unfortunately this has Aged too well.

Ajantis
Club Player

I enjoy St.Kilda as a Team, but dont enjoy Ross Lyon and even more when laughing after a loss in a press conference.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sat 31 Jul 2021 4:56pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 31 Jul 2021 3:33pm I also just find it soooo frustrating that we can’t develop and stick to a long term plan

GT invests in youth, gets sacked after finishes of 4th, 4th and 6th - 5 years later RL runs the list into the ground developing no youth

Saints go to Tassie then leave Tassie after a couple of years
Commit to ventures in NZ and Shanghai and abandon them immediately

Commit to Moorabbin, then go to Seaford, then back to Moorabbin

Align with Casey, abandon Casey, commit to Sandy… all the talk is of own reserves team

About the only thing we’ve persevered with as late was Richo

We just need to have some long term thinking in our wheelhouse
Sorry don’t want another GT v Lyon thread but let’s stop reinventing the past when it comes to “GT”
The guy had the best balance of youth and hard as nails experienced Saints list we’ve had for decades and couldn’t get it done. When sides played defensively or clamped down on us GT had zero answers and I still don’t forgive him for playing injured players in 2005 prelim. Perhaps if he invested more $$ in “training services” instead of South African junkets so he could “round out young men in his image” we’d have won a flag ????????
Lyon at least instilled the belief in a side that took us to successive GFs and had it not been for poor execution in first half 2009 I believe we’d have won it.
He also reinvented the way AFL was played at the time which Malthouse and co later copied
19 straight inn2009 - the ONLY time I’d go to the footy abs just expect to win cause we were that good
GT could only dream of being half the coach Lyon was and isn’t it surprising.....no one is knocking on GTs door to coach in the AFL
Plenty talk of Lyon still and if he wanted to he could easily accept another gig and with a 60+ win % why would t he??

Back on thread
No relationship with this club is not healthy
I’ve learnt (and it worked last night) to just walk away and at half time I did. It made me feel so much better
I didn’t crack the shytes or have m family notice I’m grumpy after watching another slow St Kikda car crash
Downside of that....,as more supporters do it...,we become less relevant ....Fitzroy like almost
Poor GT...no one wants him...except Bendigo Bank...I guess he will have to cry in his $150 million plus ongoing residuals for life.

He was / is a great businessman & tried to use that to save a team he loved. It was hit & miss for sure but he never stopped trying in spite of failing. I dont compare RTB & GT they're totally opposite in every way.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

No

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

It's like being in a soap opera, then a sitcom, then a thriller, and then a tearjerker.

It's really a tragic comedy.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Yes, if you enjoy being traumatised and experiencing psychological distress.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It’s character building

Banger9798
SS Life Member

No, not really.
After 2009/10 when we should have got one, it now feels a million miles away.
I wish I could not care so much. I've taken to not watching games live very often, and following scores on my phone. I'm not sure there is another sporting side that snuffs out optimism with such predictable effectiveness.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
kell
Club Player

Supporting the Saints is like buying a lottery ticket, with a poor return on the emotional investment. Unfortunately, there is no evidence to suggest the Saints will win a premiership in the near future, and it's uncertain if they will ever win one. If supporters find the emotional toll overwhelming, reducing the emotional investment might improve their mental well-being and allow them to enjoy the game regardless of the outcome. This could also prompt the AFL to reassess policies to promote competitiveness and fairness. However, if the Saints do break their premiership drought, who would the other supporters feel sorry for?

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Reducing the emotional investment is easier said than done

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Corrosive topic.
Sad/disappointing so many have been sucked in and to read the heart wrenching tales of distress and angst.
Congenital pessimism must be a burden, good luck dealing. Unless you like the wallowing, of course.
Tip: you can stop "supporting" anytime you like, find some other cause to apply the "end is nigh" world view to.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Been supporting the Saints for decades- but haven't enjoyed it much as time goes on. I'm not really in the fan club of any coach, but I was very disappointed with the Lyon leaving, Watters changeover, very disappointed with the lack of support the management of the club, and a few sooky senior players showed towards Watters, and that really set us back and made the club look stupid. Disappointed with hanging on to the under-performing Richo one season too long, disappointed with extending Ratts contract, then booting him when he should have had one more year. Disappointed with Bassat trying bring back the past, hang the expense, with the Lyon appointment- it will fail. Otherwise no problems.

kell
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 15 May 2024 10:51am Corrosive topic.
Sad/disappointing so many have been sucked in and to read the heart wrenching tales of distress and angst.
Congenital pessimism must be a burden, good luck dealing. Unless you like the wallowing, of course.
Tip: you can stop "supporting" anytime you like, find some other cause to apply the "end is nigh" world view to.
Tip: You could stop being disappointed by others being disappointed and also stop reading and responding to others being disappointed.

Problem solved!

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Wed 15 May 2024 9:29am No, not really.
After 2009/10 when we should have got one, it now feels a million miles away.
I wish I could not care so much. I've taken to not watching games live very often, and following scores on my phone. I'm not sure there is another sporting side that snuffs out optimism with such predictable effectiveness.
Everton - our other team!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

To be honest…

It was fine but it’s just been a miserable patch since RTB left in 2011. 2012 to 2020 was just marred with idiotic decision making, incompetence etc and frankly we didn’t fire a shot in that entire time.

2020 or thereabouts was when we made and one a final for the first time in an age and we’ve mostly been competitive’ish since then but it has been a really long slog for a while.

I think all of us would greatly benefit from 2-3 years if just being highly competitive and in the mix as opposed to sitting around 12th where we’ve been for a decade

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

kell wrote: Wed 15 May 2024 9:45am Supporting the Saints is like buying a lottery ticket, with a poor return on the emotional investment. Unfortunately, there is no evidence to suggest the Saints will win a premiership in the near future, and it's uncertain if they will ever win one. If supporters find the emotional toll overwhelming, reducing the emotional investment might improve their mental well-being and allow them to enjoy the game regardless of the outcome. This could also prompt the AFL to reassess policies to promote competitiveness and fairness. However, if the Saints do break their premiership drought, who would the other supporters feel sorry for?

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Wed 15 May 2024 10:46am Reducing the emotional investment is easier said than done

― Aristophanes

saintbob
SS Life Member

I recently watched "Sunderland till I die" and all the emotions their supporters went through, reminded so much of being a Saints supporter.

Saints58
Club Player

Yes

Club Player

I was going to write about supporting my beloved Saints but I knew I would mess it all up.

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

St Kilda are my favourite team
They are also my least favourite team too

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote: Wed 15 May 2024 12:17am It’s character building
Tipping the builder is O'Reilly out of Fawlty Towers

asiu
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure there is another sporting side that snuffs out optimism with such predictable effectiveness.
still laughing

thats gotta win this weeks internet

i love accuracy

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.