As much as I loathe them maybe we should throw caution to the wind...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ShakenNotStirred
Club Player

As much as I loathe them maybe we should throw caution to the wind...

I looked at the filth's line up last week.

Hardly star studded.

Hit by injuries like most of us they elected to play a few newbies through necessity.

Sullivan the past 2 weeks

Harrison some regular gigs

McCrae - been in and out of the side

McInnes - ditto

Bytel - well he needs no introduction!

They tamed a lame insipid WCE side. Got hold of them by 70 odd points early.

My thoughts r that we need to turn over a new leaf and keep playing the likes of Wilson, Garcia, Hastie, Owen's, Windhager and Schoenmakers et al as we need to find out if they can cut it at AFL level.

Some just transition to AFL rather than waste away at VFL level in a sub standard competition.

Thoughts?

Sing it loud and sing it proud but most of all hang around for this club will rise to claim the prize and then we will realise its not such a surprise. :-)
ShakenNotStirred
Club Player

Re: As much as I loathe them maybe we should throw caution to the wind...

I also think Hayes and Hammer have what it takes.

Pou can play believe me on that.

He might benefit from a 4 week VFL block.

It works for some. Not all.

Sing it loud and sing it proud but most of all hang around for this club will rise to claim the prize and then we will realise its not such a surprise. :-)
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I don't think it's simply about players. Last year was a bit of a honeymoon period for Ross Lyon. The new 'game plan' for players and the new messaging from the new coach was important, but so too was the need to impress and preserve your footy career.

It doesn't take much for players to lose faith in the game plan and the messaging can become stale very quickly when players aren't enjoying their footy...so let's see if Ross can turn around what seems to be (since the Essendon capitulation) a severe form slump.

I'm very impressed by the Collingwood coach. I find his positivity is totally infectious. He speaks clearly... and when they lose he takes full responsibility for their form ...and their game style

I remember his press conference after their 3rd loss in a row to start their year. They played Round Zero where as for us it was our second game of the year

He was calm, analytical and methodical in his press conference after that loss. He didn't deflect or make excuses. He spoke honestly and he gave frank assessments on his leaders and senior players.

The other thing that impressed me and that I remember vividly was his humble nature. He said firstly he looked inwardly. He looked at what he was doing.

So he also talked immediately about solutions. He remained positive. He seemed to be able to grasp exactly what was needed to motivate his group. I also rate Justin Leppitch as one of the best (if not 'the best') assistant coach in the caper.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

My Mrs is a Collingwood supporter. Her sisters are Collingwood supporters too. Took after their mum who was a passionate footy fan ...

Anyhow... I'm in a difficult situation where I have to watch some of the Collingwood press conferences because I also subject her to some of the Saints ones.

I usually get on my phone while McCrae is on (reading Saintsational 😀) but I do remember the presser after they lost to us.

Contrast and compare our coach and his last couple of pressers with McCrae

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

We are currently playing more inexperienced players in our AFL lineup than is ideal. If you have too many, the team is just going to get clobbered, and young players aren't going to learn particularly well in that situation.

In NRL, a longstanding coaching strategy is that, if you have a few good young players in reserve grade and your first team is going crap, you keep the young players in the reserves for the rest of the season and hope they keep learning how to win games. AFL clubs don't seem to operate that way, but there's something in it IMO.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

ShakenNotStirred wrote: Thu 16 May 2024 1:52am I looked at the filth's line up last week.

Hardly star studded.

Hit by injuries like most of us they elected to play a few newbies through necessity.

Sullivan the past 2 weeks

Harrison some regular gigs

McCrae - been in and out of the side

McInnes - ditto

Bytel - well he needs no introduction!

They tamed a lame insipid WCE side. Got hold of them by 70 odd points early.

My thoughts r that we need to turn over a new leaf and keep playing the likes of Wilson, Garcia, Hastie, Owen's, Windhager and Schoenmakers et al as we need to find out if they can cut it at AFL level.

Some just transition to AFL rather than waste away at VFL level in a sub standard competition.

Thoughts?
Beat up on West Coast in Victoria. Generally Pies fans are begging Collingwood to inject some kids.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 16 May 2024 2:46am I don't think it's simply about players. Last year was a bit of a honeymoon period for Ross Lyon. The new 'game plan' for players and the new messaging from the new coach was important, but so too was the need to impress and preserve your footy career.

It doesn't take much for players to lose faith in the game plan and the messaging can become stale very quickly when players aren't enjoying their footy...so let's see if Ross can turn around what seems to be (since the Essendon capitulation) a severe form slump.

I'm very impressed by the Collingwood coach. I find his positivity is totally infectious. He speaks clearly... and when they lose he takes full responsibility for their form ...and their game style

I remember his press conference after their 3rd loss in a row to start their year. They played Round Zero where as for us it was our second game of the year

He was calm, analytical and methodical in his press conference after that loss. He didn't deflect or make excuses. He spoke honestly and he gave frank assessments on his leaders and senior players.

The other thing that impressed me and that I remember vividly was his humble nature. He said firstly he looked inwardly. He looked at what he was doing.

So he also talked immediately about solutions. He remained positive. He seemed to be able to grasp exactly what was needed to motivate his group. I also rate Justin Leppitch as one of the best (if not 'the best') assistant coach in the caper.

In a injury ravaged season with a ridiculously tough draw we have lost 5 games by a total of about 20 points.

Bit of luck we win all 5 I doubt the players have lost faith.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

A horribly miserable cold wet winter awaits that big bunch of Collingwood players who are well into their 30s,

They are about to fall off a cliff.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 16 May 2024 9:47am A horribly miserable cold wet winter awaits that big bunch of Collingwood players who are well into their 30s,

For once , I hope you are right.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 16 May 2024 9:47am A horribly miserable cold wet winter awaits that big bunch of Collingwood players who are well into their 30s,

Why don't you double down on that bet you took for them not to make the top 8.

The odds will be nice and juicy for you

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 16 May 2024 2:42pm

Why don't you double down on that bet you took for them not to make the top 8.

The odds will be nice and juicy for you
Funnily enough, and as you’d expect, I’m showing a lot of interest in the Pies this season, they’ve bounced ok from their poor start but playing catch up is is going to catch up with them soon enough, it will come when the older guys start dropping. Who knows maybe not, but we haven’t hit winter yet and that’s historically when it gets hard for teams in the Pies precarious position.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Ross is a seasoned media performer and his pressers and appearances should be considered with that in mind.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 16 May 2024 12:18pm

For once , I hope you are right.
N. Daicos. Captain Moore. If they or either go down for a few weeks Coach Fly might have to change from sanguine to reflective again.