Phillipou

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Phillipou

Obviously mismanaged last week (and after R10 last season!)

What he needs to do

Use his legs, drive out of stoppage - and KICK the footy

His want to handball at every opportunity, has him only kicking 33% of the time. He needs to be above 60%

His hands are pretty good, that doesn’t mean handball at every opportunity- you become a Tom Mitchell style ineffective player.

He needs to up his metres gained. Kick the footy when you get some space. He ran sub 3 second 20m - use that power to get out of stoppage!

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Phillipou

I don't think there's much discussion here, you've nailed it.

Rubyjo
Club Player

Look forward to seeing him develop at Sandy maybe for the rest of the year .

Rocket
Club Player

His leg speed is a worry .. runs in gumboots

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Rocket wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 9:16pm His leg speed is a worry .. runs in gumboots
I think it's that he doesn't hit the contest with speed, always gets the ball flat footed. Will learn that soon enough.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 7:28pm Obviously mismanaged last week (and after R10 last season!)
Firstly well done on having the courage to criticise. You had people defending the coach for playing Pou when the obvious was happening right before our eyes. Poor performance and a lack of selection integrity.

We’re all supporters of St Kilda FC

We want the very best output from players, but more importantly, we want our very best youth being developed competently

I was arguing back in 2023 that Pou needed to be managed and rested from time to time instead of being dropped to Sandringham. In any case….neither occurred last year. I think his development has been mismanaged, rather than this being a second year drop-off in his form.

At one stage during the end of 2023 (and again earlier this year) I was thinking the club was shitscared of losing Mattaes back to South Australia and Lyon was simply playing him to keep him happy… That thinking (if true) does more harm than good. Both for the individual and for the team

This is a link below from a match day discussion last year. There are several posts on Mattaes in the thread

https://www.saintsational.net/viewtopic ... 5#p2014945

spert
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 10:29pm
Rocket wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 9:16pm His leg speed is a worry .. runs in gumboots
I think it's that he doesn't hit the contest with speed, always gets the ball flat footed. Will learn that soon enough.
I don't think he has that speed and run naturally that you need as a midfielder..from a runner's point of view anyway.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I’m an on the record RL fan. Huge upgrade on our previous coaches, BUT I’m also very troubled how we’ve managed Pou. Picking him last week was as dumb as anything that has happened in the last 18 months. This kid is struggling massively and somehow the wool has been pulled over the eyes of the coaching panel with regards to him.

When I ask people who keep telling me he’s a gun what actual attributes they’ve seen that makes them think he’ll be a gun I invariably get this answer, ‘umm, ahh, his size?’

It’s almost brainwashing, people say he’s going to be a gun because everyone thinks he’ll be a gun, except no one’s really sure why a 6’2 kid, who can’t take contested marks, looks slow, looks lost in the midfield, looks timid ( it’s true, watch him closely) is suddenly going to be a gun despite showing very little so far in 30 odd games. The closest I can gather is, he went top 10, he’s got a big body, and did I mention that he’s the youngest in his draft year? Also his manager reckons he’ll be best player in the league in 3 years ( now 18 months) oh and his dad encourages him to go for his marks…..thanks dad.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 7:28pm
Tom Mitchell style ineffective player.
The Brownlow medalist and Premiership player and 3rd in the Norm Smith voting?

or someone else?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

This years Tom Mitchell

Subbed out three times and barely getting a game

Collingwoods version of Seb Ross

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

He may not live up to initial expectations. He wouldn't be the first.

However, he's still very young. He's closer in style to Brendan Goddard rather than a true inside midfielder. The troubling part is that he's not getting to where the ball is and seems to be way off the pace in reading the game. Is he trying too hard? Does he need a more simplified role?

At the moment he gets the ball, stops, and looks to handball. He will not grab the ball and take on the tackler. He doesn't seem to have evasive skills like Wilson, Wanganeen-Milera, and Hastie, and so he lacks the confidence to drive through. At this stage he's not comfortable with the hard physical contact that comes with being an inside mid. Hopefully that will come. Playing full games as an inside mid at VFL level can help him with that.

His speed over 20 metres is fine, but the first 5 metres not so good. Is this just because he's tentative about what he's doing? Second guessing himself?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Moods wrote: Sat 25 May 2024 8:22am I’m an on the record RL fan. Huge upgrade on our previous coaches, BUT I’m also very troubled how we’ve managed Pou. Picking him last week was as dumb as anything that has happened in the last 18 months. This kid is struggling massively and somehow the wool has been pulled over the eyes of the coaching panel with regards to him.

When I ask people who keep telling me he’s a gun what actual attributes they’ve seen that makes them think he’ll be a gun I invariably get this answer, ‘umm, ahh, his size?’

It’s almost brainwashing, people say he’s going to be a gun because everyone thinks he’ll be a gun, except no one’s really sure why a 6’2 kid, who can’t take contested marks, looks slow, looks lost in the midfield, looks timid ( it’s true, watch him closely) is suddenly going to be a gun despite showing very little so far in 30 odd games. The closest I can gather is, he went top 10, he’s got a big body, and did I mention that he’s the youngest in his draft year? Also his manager reckons he’ll be best player in the league in 3 years ( now 18 months) oh and his dad encourages him to go for his marks…..thanks dad.
💯💯💯
Well said.
Timid
Every time he goes for a mark where there's anyone within 2m of him, he ducks his head and the ball hits his hands and the ball bounces off.
He may mark well in training, but he is far too timid in a game.

Last year, 9 Contested Marks.
This yr- zero.

Last yr, there were 16 games were he took no contested marks.
The other games- one CM each, and 2 in Rd 11 vs Hawks.

Don't @ me, just showing the data.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Just looks to dish of and not use his legs

It’s probably more about how he’s playing rather than his physical attributes

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 25 May 2024 2:51am
B.M wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 7:28pm Obviously mismanaged last week (and after R10 last season!)
Firstly well done on having the courage to criticise. You had people defending the coach for playing Pou when the obvious was happening right before our eyes. Poor performance and a lack of selection integrity.

We want the very best output from players, but more importantly, we want our very best youth being developed competently

I was arguing back in 2023 that Pou needed to be managed and rested from time to time instead of being dropped to Sandringham. In any case….neither occurred last year. I think his development has been mismanaged, rather than this being a second year drop-off in his form.

At one stage during the end of 2023 (and again earlier this year) I was thinking the club was shitscared of losing Mattaes back to South Australia and Lyon was simply playing him to keep him happy… That thinking (if true) does more harm than good. Both for the individual and for the team

This is a link below from a match day discussion last year. There are several posts on Mattaes in the thread

If you argue for something for long enough eventually you'll be right.

One day you'll say similar about Ross Lyon.

Doesn't make you correct at that point in time, however much you want to rewrite history.

It is also nothing more than opinion that this will be bad for his development. Impossible to know.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Moods wrote: Sat 25 May 2024 8:22am I’m an on the record RL fan. Huge upgrade on our previous coaches, BUT I’m also very troubled how we’ve managed Pou. Picking him last week was as dumb as anything that has happened in the last 18 months. This kid is struggling massively and somehow the wool has been pulled over the eyes of the coaching panel with regards to him.

He can play tall and is good overhead (don't know about an inability to take contested marks), he reads play well and doesn't actually waste many possessions. Given his size, albeit still a kid's body, he should become quite powerful. He's a very nice kick, can kick it a mile and he knows where the goals are. He can also turn 360 degrees on a 5 cent coin, which gets me really excited. He reminds me of Nat Fyfe, but he's a better kick.

BM has a point about his overuse of handball, should be kicking more. However, his main issue at the moment is getting the footy. He's still a kid, needs a more powerful man's body, the endurance of 3 or 4 preseasons and to learn his craft.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sat 25 May 2024 1:43pm

Doesn't make you correct at that point in time, however much you want to rewrite history.

It is also nothing more than opinion that this will be bad for his development. Impossible to know.
It’s not about history. It’s about trying to plan the future and predict the future based on the present. We were seeing signs of Pou’s poor form around the middle of last year. What was done to rectify that? What sort of strategy is it when you play an 18 year old every week in the seniors regardless of form? Great development plan wasn’t it?

You need to post in the fantasy threads alone. Like who we should draft if you could go ‘back to the future’. You like that thread because it doesn’t deal with reality

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Just another thought ….

I don’t think it’s up to Mattaes Phillipou to determine where he plays. He was of value to the team when he played as a forward. I reckon we should play him as a forward.

Maybe in 2 years time when he shows he’s winning ground balls and can stick tackles, he can move into the midfield

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 25 May 2024 4:42pm
I don’t think it’s up to Mattaes Phillipou to determine where he plays. He was of value to the team when he played as a forward. I reckon we should play him as a forward.
I think we are hellbent on his fast track to success. I just hope it doesn't derail his career.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

6 kicks
10 handballs

As a full time mid in the VFL

He cannot find the ball in transition- he only gets a possession at stoppage.

He is so down on confidence- he is running in wet concrete and in circles

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sat 25 May 2024 1:43pm

Well said

“Yeah….nah””
repta
Club Player

He is playing with no confidence.
Ross is a signatury to the 'Once you have played 50 games' mentality.
Therefore rush them through. However it is a bit like fast forwarding to the good bits of a movie. Ultimately it doesn't fill the night or provide any lingering enjoyment.

Pou came in with cockiness based on a massive self belief. It is gone and will take a great deal of time to rebuild, if it does ever come back.
He is not big or strong enough to compete on the inside. He may get there, but he a boy playing with men.
He has taken enough hits to know there is a big one around the corner. Therefore footsteps are being heard everywhere all the time.
I don't want to see him again until next year. Play VFL. No bright lights and expectation. Go back and learn the craft. Otherwise it will be another short career of what could have been

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 26 May 2024 10:27pm 6 kicks
10 handballs

Because he’s too slow and can’t run.
Another draft spud at this stage and no doubt hold on to him until he’s 27 in the hope he comes good

Why can’t any of our draft picks just come in and be good (doesn’t need to be great)?

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 26 May 2024 10:27pm 6 kicks
10 handballs

Happy if he gets it at stoppage and gets it out. So he got it 16 times. Needs to get it more often, play him in the middle for Sandy for a few weeks, he'll learn.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Sat 25 May 2024 7:13pm
Scollop wrote: Sat 25 May 2024 4:42pm
I think we are hellbent on his fast track to success. I just hope it doesn't derail his career.
Don't know about the fast tracking. Contrary to what many may say, he earned his spot last year. Then he had a spot this year based on last year (same as Sharman), which he held for longer because of injuries. He'll now no doubt spend a few weeks at Sandy.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Mon 27 May 2024 2:37pm Don't know about the fast tracking. Contrary to what many may say, he earned his spot last year. Then he had a spot this year based on last year (same as Sharman), which he held for longer because of injuries. He'll now no doubt spend a few weeks at Sandy.
He earned somewhere between 18 and 20 games last year but there were times where he clearly needed to be managed.

I feel like we set him up to fail for his own good this year, to show him how much improvement is required.
Last edited by Otiman on Mon 27 May 2024 6:23pm, edited 1 time in total.