Matt of SEN back from Tribunal now giving run down

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintDippa
Club Player

With Bakes suddenly stopping, am I the only one who finds it ironice that we are all encouraged to 'wipe off 5'. Bakes does and gets 7! Go figure.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
THE LAST STATEMENT IS AN ERROR IN FACT. FARMER MADE CONTACT WITH HIM WITH HIGH IMPACT, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!! ST KILDA - FIGHT THIS STUPID DECISION!!
Well no..Bakes has admitted slamming on the brakes..therefore technically he collided with Farmer. theres no "sensible braking distance" in AFL lol

Once again I say..as soon as Bakes ADMITTED that he braked, the tribunal have taken his action as the one that caused the injury...and therfore found him guilty

BUt..the vision of Farmer semi-comatose has hung Bakes way more than anything he actually did
According to SEN Baker's/Nixon's version of events was accepted by the Tribunal and was used to find him guilty.

So based on this nonsensical precedent delivered tonight will there be an edict issued by Monkeyboy tomorrow that all cases of players 'blocking' other players during a game will be reported from now on? Only the panalty will vary on a case by case basis depending on the 'force' of the block and the damage it causes.

No more 'blocking' at ballups, in forward lines or backlines.

Is it just me or is this a total nonsense?

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
THE LAST STATEMENT IS AN ERROR IN FACT. FARMER MADE CONTACT WITH HIM WITH HIGH IMPACT, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!! ST KILDA - FIGHT THIS STUPID DECISION!!
Well no..Bakes has admitted slamming on the brakes..therefore technically he collided with Farmer. theres no "sensible braking distance" in AFL lol

Once again I say..as soon as Bakes ADMITTED that he braked, the tribunal have taken his action as the one that caused the injury...and therfore found him guilty

BUt..the vision of Farmer semi-comatose has hung Bakes way more than anything he actually did

Oh...and the Gia / Kosi incident..the ball wasnt 50m away and it was captured on video by 25 cameras. All bar a few hysterical people here exonerated Gia at the time anyway as I recall
But Michael slamming on the brakes is not an offence....laughable and would have 30 players potentially reported each week...this decision must be overturned and thrown out or our game is condemned forever :roll:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:

Oh...and the Gia / Kosi incident..the ball wasnt 50m away and it was captured on video by 25 cameras. All bar a few hysterical people here exonerated Gia at the time anyway as I recall
Did Bakes say he deliberately put the brakes on to cause the impact collision with Farmer's head? I think he may have said that - or did he suddenly stop due to change his plan of attack - ie. did he just stop dead to quickly change direction??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
saint66au wrote:

Did Bakes say he deliberately put the brakes on to cause the impact collision with Farmer's head? I think he may have said that - or did he suddenly stop due to change his plan of attack - ie. did he just stop dead to quickly change direction??
No, I believe he said he stopped to 'block' Farmer.
He didn't ay he intentionally hit him with the back of his head. - Farmer cannoned into him. Farmer could have also stopped but either didn't realize Baker was stationary or chose to cannon into him.

brewski
Club Player

Surely you cant be rubbed out for running then stopping quickly, this is the biggest load of bollocks i have ever seen in footy.
Just because Farmer the dog is a bit slow upstairs to read whats happening in front of him, not Bakes fault

Banned by the censors
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Full forward leads

FB trails but close behind

upfield ball deliver slips.......

FF props stops hoping to draw contact from behind......

FF hopes (instigate) contact for in the back......

BUT FF FINDS HIMSELF REORTED INSTEAD!!

:roll: :roll:

saint4life
Riewoldting
SS Life Member

If I'm driving my car and slam on the brakes for whatever reason and the bloke behind me runs up my arse, it's his fault. He's got to leave a safe stopping distance suitable to the conditions.

Now, if the bloke behind me has been drinking ...

WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T GET HIT FROM BEHIND BY A DRUNK DRIVER OR YOU WILL BE FOOTING THE BILL

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Panel said they believed Baker...but judged his action in stopping as reckless
As I said earlier Baker gave himself up.

Now will Whelan get a retrospective suspension for stepping in the way of Luke Ball.

Apparently Luke Ball can get his head knocked off but thats OK, but Baker gets 7 weeks.

But sounds like the goose gave himself up. Will not get out of this. May get it reduced, but wont get out of a suspension.

I feel better now that it was his own silly fault.
So who was our counsel?

Who was advising Mr. Baker?
Lionel Hutz, Attorney of Law.

OnTheFence
Club Player

I would believe so, without a doubt. Actual footage showing the accidental head clash would surely have exonerated him
Anyone care to explain how a player getting blind-sided by another with an illegal shepherd 50 metres or more off the ball can result in an "accidental" head clash?

After the morons shoot me down in flames, then anyone who has actually played footy can try for a rational explanation.

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

In other news, Australian netball captain Liz Ellis has been banned from international competition for life after an incident during the Third Test overnight.

In the third quarter of the test against New Zealand, Ellis burst forward to take possession of the ball before pulling up suddenly (in order to not be penalised for travelling).

Kiwi goal shooter Irene Van Dyk then cannoned into the back of Ellis, breaking her nose and busting up her pretty face something rotten.

Ellis was found guilty of reckless rough conduct and was subjected to a life ban by the International Federation of Netball Associations, the sport's governing body.

Also overnight, V8 Supercar driver Garth Tander has been ejected from the Championship after braking heavily on Turn 1 at Oran Park during the Jim Beam 400.

22 cars ran up Tander's arse, constantina-style, and he was deemed to have recklessly used the brakes in preventing himself from careening out of control into a concrete wall.

Liam_G
Club Player

OnTheFence wrote:
I would believe so, without a doubt. Actual footage showing the accidental head clash would surely have exonerated him
Anyone care to explain how a player getting blind-sided by another with an illegal shepherd 50 metres or more off the ball can result in an "accidental" head clash?

After the morons shoot me down in flames, then anyone who has actually played footy can try for a rational explanation.
Quite simply actually. We are both running. I run past you but then stop dead in my tracks and push backward, bracing myself to make an illegal shepard. You, not looking ahead (possibly looking sideways across the ground) and not bracing yourself run into the back of me. I am possibly expecting you to also be bracing yourself, or to have noticed what I have done. Unfortunately, you have not. Both of us are the same height. With the force that I have pushed back, and the force in which you are running without looking, you collide into me. Bone is strong, and it can do some serious damage, especially when you are not braced for it.

Other examples that an injury can occur so simply, if I hold up a substance as strong as skull bone and get you to run into it face first, your nose may take a beating. It only takes a knock on an unfortunate spot for a break to occur.

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

OnTheFence wrote:Anyone care to explain how a player getting blind-sided by another with an illegal shepherd 50 metres or more off the ball can result in an "accidental" head clash?

Because the initial act is not accidental, but the unwilled and unforeseen consequence is.

Consider youself shot down.

OnTheFence
Club Player

Because the initial act is not accidental, but the unwilled and unforeseen consequence is.

Consider youself shot down
So by that logic if I deliberately stick someone with a knife and accidentally pierce their heart I will no doubt get off the murder charge.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

OnTheFence wrote:

So by that logic if I deliberately stick someone with a knife and accidentally pierce their heart I will no doubt get off the murder charge.
yes, with our current justice system, you'd probably get man-slaughter.....

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Riewoldting
SS Life Member

OnTheFence wrote:

No, because the act is willed and the consequence is foreseen (therefore no defence of accident) and intended (death or serious harm virtually certain).

Any other brilliant questions?

OnTheFence
Club Player

The_Dud wrote:
Much like being found guilty of rough conduct and not striking.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

OnTheFence wrote:The_Dud wrote:
Much like being found guilty of rough conduct and not striking.
i'm pretty sure striking is a lesser charge than rough conduct....

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 4:59am, edited 1 time in total.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:
Solar wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Panel said they believed Baker...but judged his action in stopping as reckless
LMAO

STOPPING IS RECKLESS!!!
Ok...

I'll ignore all the traffic lights on the way to work tomorrow... I'll send my fines to the AFL saying 'they said it's reckless to stop...'

Expect some letters Andy and Aidy...
love that will try that this morning see what happens

Shaggy
Club Player

A 7 match suspension for stepping in the way of your opponent’s run … give me a break.

I have been floored with my opponent about 50 meters from the play because he ran into me after I stepped into his line. I always thought it was a legitimate tactic to take space and cancel my opponents. Blocking is different to shepherding.

Farmer obviously wasn’t keeping an eye on Bakes which is all part of the game.

There is no malice involved and its more dangerous for the one who is stationary.

The decision is unbelievable.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
saint66au wrote:

No, I believe he said he stopped to 'block' Farmer.
He didn't ay he intentionally hit him with the back of his head. - Farmer cannoned into him. Farmer could have also stopped but either didn't realize Baker was stationary or chose to cannon into him.
And Baker also states that the most it deserved was a free kick...if anything! Pure and simple, Farmer should have looked where he was fricken going! :evil:

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

this is the biggest load of bulls*** i have ever seen by a tribunal.
b grade/reserve footy in the country sees stuff like this every 5 mins, and much worse.
how the hell does johnson get 6 and bakes get 7.......?
i woke up this morning and i caught the "saint kildas steven baker gets 7 weeks" on sky news and i nearly spat my coffee.

we can complain all we like, nothing will get overturned or reduced.
i wonder if farmer had got up and had blood wiped from his nose and then played on, what the decision would have been.....4 weeks?

complete and utter joke.
so unless u are a 'superstar' and due to play in a grandy........u cant get off.
our game sometimes seems to be turning into a complete farce.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

This decision has me floored. Speechless. I have no speech.....

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.