STEVEN BAKER APPEAL UPDATES HERE ONLY PLEASE!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Honestbob

A player commits an illegal act and another is injured as a result of that illegal act.

The player who committed that illegal act then stands up in court(tribunal) and admits he committed an illegal act that resulted in the injury.

The player that committed that illegal act is found guilty. He is assessed as four weeks however with the points hanging over him it adds another 2 weeks then said player has a poor record which adds another week.

Go to any sort of court and watch what happens when someone accused of something admits they did it even if they inadvertently admit it. Here is a hint they get found guilty. Sounds familiar.

The AFL are the easy target here. The one to blame is the person who breifed Baker on what to say this person was employed by the club and quite obviously did not know the rules and/or incompetent. This is the farce and the blame for that ends solely at the clubs door.

kalsaint
Club Player

Enrico_Misso wrote:
luckysaint wrote:hutchy says saints won't go further
So bombard the club with e-mails urging them
TO TAKE IT FURTHER
Exactly.

I have and have asked the club to provide reasons, details on why this appeal was not upheld.

This decision goes beyond just Bake's, it strikes at the very basis of the corrupt nature of the AFL's decision making. If these rulings are done for the right intent (and I certtainly dont condone off play thumpings) then surely prime evidence is needed not circumstantial evidence.

This is why the club must go through more steps to change this. Inconsistency will only escalate further until another club etakes it on.

Goodbye to the standard shepherd now. Lets yell out week counts every time an Eagles applies one.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
tribunalsux

plugger66 wrote:I would think the club will accept it. They have a big game in 24 hours. They cannot afford to spend anymore time on this. he will not be playing for 7 games I am afraid.
you have no idea mate its poeple like you that keep letting crap like this happen!

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 5:10am, edited 1 time in total.

tribunalsux

Honestbob wrote:A player commits an illegal act and another is injured as a result of that illegal act.

The player who committed that illegal act then stands up in court(tribunal) and admits he committed an illegal act that resulted in the injury.

The player that committed that illegal act is found guilty. He is assessed as four weeks however with the points hanging over him it adds another 2 weeks then said player has a poor record which adds another week.

Go to any sort of court and watch what happens when someone accused of something admits they did it even if they inadvertently admit it. Here is a hint they get found guilty. Sounds familiar.

The AFL are the easy target here. The one to blame is the person who breifed Baker on what to say this person was employed by the club and quite obviously did not know the rules and/or incompetent. This is the farce and the blame for that ends solely at the clubs door.
honest bob you have got to be joking! get a life mate you are struggling!

tribunalsux

aussierules0k wrote:
SaintWodonga wrote:I am far from not happy with the 7 weeks. Yet it's now time to move on. We have a huge game this weekend. We really need to be up & firing.

We should keep a mental note of the disgracefull hand out to Baker... It's about time the AFL looked after the older clubs, not the new clubs.

I am tipping we will win by 21 points.
Agree we'll win. Agree this will help - short term... 1 week. Our mental note pad is full, time to get angry. Time to move on... not yet.
mate its not about the game on friday it is that we yet again are being subjected to this rubbish by the AFL!

Honestbob

tribunalsux wrote:
Honestbob wrote:A player commits an illegal act and another is injured as a result of that illegal act.

honest bob you have got to be joking! get a life mate you are struggling!
Truth hurts sometimes doesn't it.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 5:10am, edited 1 time in total.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

AOK, please don't leave. I still remember the first time I joined i got a hard time from some of the posters and you were the ONLY person to stick up for me.
We need you. This decision is going to greatly diminish our membership next year - we WILL BE LUCKY TO GET 25,000 - nowhere near it.... and this could get worse - it could transform on-field and before you know it were perennial wooden spooners and possibly folding.... I know you wouldn't want that.
Come on mate, your reaction is almost like you are taking it out on St.Kilda - I know you love the club - you'd still have a soft spot in your heart for the club and you'd be just as happy as any of us if we ever win the premiership.

the general consensus on here is that a lot of us don't want to be involved anymore - if half of a thousand members of an online forum feel this way, does that translate to half the actual members - will we drop to 16,000 members next year.... I couldn't bear this....
Earlier this year, something happened in my life which made me realise I had no reason to love this club anymore, that if I wanted to be an Essendon supporter I had every right to turn my back on the club.... now before people hang me out to dry, I WILL NEVER SUPPORT ESSENDON BECAUSE I LOVE THIS CLUB SO DAMN MUCH!!!!!

I am saying this because when I was 6 (again I've told this story before but nobody will ever notice it - even now when I've become slightly more high-profile - ie attention seeking) my mum asked me who i wanted to support and without thinking i replied essendon because it was the only club i knew about.
My mum suggested my sister and i follow in the footsteps of our parents - girls Carlton and boys St.Kilda.... which also explains to you all why Carlton is my second favourite team. Also, I first got into footy in 1995 which also explains why there was never bitter about Carlton - never got thrashed by the blues after this year.

In June this year something that occured made me realise I no longer had to adhere to these rules - many times I thought of giving up on St.Kilda because it was so hard to follow them (this was mainly in 99 and such) but instead I just had less interest in the game, but even though I wasn't as footy oreientataed as 95-2000, 2003-present, I still got excited whenever I could see St.Kilda play or even more important - win.

i never could give up supporting st.kilda because I fell in love with the club... and that's why i still can't give it up.... I'm in too deep. I couldn't give up St.Kilda for anything (I threatened to cut my membership card up at one stage and didn't have the strentgh to do it)

i understand this has cut people really deep and like all of you, I'm extremely pissed off and hope theat the club does take it further. but one thing I can tell you, regardless of what happens now, I WILL NOT BE LEAVING THIS CLUB! I'll always renew my membership and for at least seventeen games a season, i'll scream my throat hoarse and support the red, white and black and boo the men in yellow/red/blue/green/black/white/pink and the men in the opposing team (and my father brought me up not to boo)

I never had any intention to be an afl member or social club member or anything like that anyway, but now I don't care about anything else in the AFL.... there is too much corruption and I'm fed up with how its being run these days anyway...

And I'll never stop hoping or wishing for that elusive dream to come true - the premiership dream. I've supported this team through thick and thin (mainly thick) and will continue to wear the rose-coloured glasses, continue to try and add some positivity to the forum when everything is down, I will continue to accept mediocrity especially now it looks like the AFL has decided we're never going to win the premiership - I just WON'T accept that its over - I won't give the AFL the satisfaction of defeating me. It's broken my heart, ripped out my soul and shat all over whatever remained of me but this club means too DAMN MUCH to me to care about any of it...

End rant.

tribunalsux

WE MUST STAND

This is the last straw for me in an extreamly crap performance by the AFL this year. I am calling on all saints memebers and supporters to do something about this baker fiasco!

St.kilda MUST take this further do we need a petition?? Send one around tommorow night to convince the club we need more action!

Lets not lie down like we did with the Fremantle draw (which would have seen us in the top four) or the Gheric JUMPER PUNCH fiasco. To many times St.Kilda has been known as the nice club. Nice does not win grand finals nice is rubbish nice is for losers!

ACTION IS A MUST!! St.Kilda fans must stand united!

JeffDunne

aussierules0k wrote:This is fundamentally why I'm mad as hell. Anyone can see Bakes is a good kid. He doesn't deserve this treatment. Mark my words, this could have a big effect on his career for the negative. The game he loves so much has let him down big time.

Very sad.
meh, he could always sign with Sydney and he'd become the AFL's poster child.

We do have precedent. :cry:

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 5:08am, edited 1 time in total.

my les foote
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:I would think the club will accept it. They have a big game in 24 hours. They cannot afford to spend anymore time on this. he will not be playing for 7 games I am afraid.
Absolutely agree.

Take it to court after we win the flag. They'll quash the conviction and then he'll have six games in the bank to use on Farmer, Carr, Hall etc.

Win it for HIM!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

1. Its not an illegal act. He was suspended because farmer got injured.

2. So you think Baker should have lied?

I tell you what. Bakes is probably the person most pissed off that there is no vision of it.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
QueenC
Club Player

how much damage was inflicted due to farmer hitting bakes head and how much damage was made hitting the TD ground? how can they deem how much of farmers injuries are bakes actual fault?

Hell, Farmer could have been abducted by aliens and dropped back to earth for all we know.

If Baker had attacked Farmer then he deserves all he gets, but no-one can prove that that actually happened.

Bakers own testimony, which is being used to hang him (I find this ironic) states that he stopped in front of Farmer, and him crashing into the back of him is what that caused the injury. But it is the injury that he has been convicted over.

But unfortunately there is an assumption of guilt, it happens a lot (we tend to get it where Pickett is concerned. He is who is is so he must be guilty of something), this assumption is in the general footy public and also in the tribunal. I have been arguing the same thing over on Demonland, but have been accused of being stupid and ignorant, and I have never been called that before.

Unfortunately that assumption (something happened and someone got hurt therefore the other person must have hurt him) seems to trump basic the common sense in that to condemn anyone of any wrong doing in this world you really should have independent proof of the offence.

I'm sorry guys, I really am :( .........

FullMonty
Club Player

He should have lied. :oops: :cry:
This would not have been the outcome if Baker played for Essendon or Collingwood. :idea: Their QC advice is obviously far better than ours. We should probably engage the ex tribunal guy that wrote the article in the sun Wednesday so we don't get ourselves in this sort of mess ever again!
Wasted another 5k because the damage was already done.

Montyrules!
chook23
Saintsational Legend

It is highly likely that instruction was given..........but did bakes say it in his own words(poorly chosen?)..........or just said certain things under the pressure of evidence...

Has it been said or written anywhere that Bakes was instrcted to say his evidence exactly as given.....
Whether we like it/agree his evidence basically hunghimself.....

One of my biggest beefs is the fact that it was sent to the Tribunal in the first place based on the evidence (But must be said that was reliant on what read/said in media)

Plenty of other examples not sent to tribunal because of evidence(lack of)

saint4life
Honestbob

bigred wrote:

I tell you what. Bakes is probably the person most pissed off that there is no vision of it.
So you think blocking a player 50m off the ball is legal? It's not. So Baker committed an illegal act that resulted in Farmer getting injured it is actually simple to work out but maybe easier to go with conspiracy theories.

Of course Baker shouldn't have lied he shouldn't have given evidence.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Honestbob wrote:
Truth hurts sometimes doesn't it.
Well as a Freo Troll you would not know....as telling the truth is not something that Freo people do...

*Freo Trainer lied
*Framer lied
*Harvey your coach lied

.....and now you come ona as a lie....masquerading as a Saints fan....

Freo = liers.

The FACT that you go onto an opposition forum purely to try and gloat demonstrates what small self esteem you have.

You must have a very small and insignificant life.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 24 Aug 2007 10:43am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saints94
SS Life Member

SaintWodonga wrote:I am far from not happy with the 7 weeks. Yet it's now time to move on. We have a huge game this weekend. We really need to be up & firing.

We should keep a mental note of the disgracefull hand out to Baker... It's about time the AFL looked after the older clubs, not the new clubs.

I am tipping we will win by 21 points.
i know we will win by 36 points

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Honsestboob is full of sh*t.

For example when the game started virtually EVERY Freo player was pushing/shoving/whacking their St Kild opponent ALL over the ground.

Obviously a Harvey instruction to try and put the Saints players off their game.

Were such instances breeching the rules? Yes. Were they against fair play? Yes. Were they off the ball? Yes.

But such tactics have always been part of the game. ALWAYS.

Baker tagging and nigglinga player is sucjh a tactic too....though Honestbob bleets about it...

Players block all the time......and Honstbob is justa typical Freo lier in trying to say otherwise while pretending that Freo do not do "undfiar" tactics as well.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
HarveysDeciple

Honestbob wrote:
bigred wrote:

So you think blocking a player 50m off the ball is legal? It's not. So Baker committed an illegal act that resulted in Farmer getting injured it is actually simple to work out but maybe easier to go with conspiracy theories.

Of course Baker shouldn't have lied he shouldn't have given evidence.
Its illegal in the sense thats its a free kick because the ball is not within 50 metres.
But it is not reportable in any way shape or form.
Especially when there is no visual evidence to prove the manner in which it happened.

Superboot
SS Life Member

It was an illegal act which resulted in an opponent being badly injured.

So if you push a player in the back and he smashes his face on the ground and breaks bones, you won't be reported because pushing in the back is not reportable, but you will be suspended for weeks?

Is that the way it works?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

totally agree with you, he is guilty of an illegal bump. According to the rules of AFL football you should not step in front of a player and block them that far off the ball.

Should have been a free kick if the umpire saw it, heck at worst chuck in a 50 metre penalty (would argue that this is too far but will let that pass).

Unfortunately for farmer this was not picked up, suprise suprise, a free kick no being picked up! Never happened before, hmmmm

anyway the council was right, what baker did was illigal but not reportable. Never has and should never be. If he used a fist, elbow, knee to forcefully block the player then YES that is not only a free kick but a report. But that did not happen.

Lets repeat it FOR EVERYONE. Up until this week what baker did was only ever going to cost a free kick if seen by the officiating umpire.

Not the clubs, the players or the Qc's fault that the tribunal went against the spirit and actual set of rules set forth in or once great game.

Please attempt to argue with me, hell tell me a time in which using the back of your head at a stationary postion has ever been seen as a weapon on the field......

sheesh people, lets get some facts straight at least!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

LEST WE FORGET - THE FIRST CRUCIFIXION

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!