Armo- HBF?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Armo- HBF?

Just thinking of Armo's development & after watching Luke Hodge today I was wondering whether blooding him on a HBF would be an option. Hodge spent his developing years across half back & used his ability to read the play & foot skills to great effect (eventually). Watching Armo during the pre season, reminded me of a young Hodge.

Considering his much discussed fitness issues, the option of putting him into the midfield might be too much too soon. Playing across HB would allow Armo to get significant game time & play some cameos in the middle. He would also improve his defensive skills and maybe allow Grammy to be released further up the ground.

Anyone who has seen Armo at Casey may be able to shed some light on this possibility.

Thoughts?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Not a bad way to start...either there or as a BP.

Burkey like many others put some time in down back before becoming good mids.

Gram to be given some midfield time...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

a very good thought

strong tackler too

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Viking3
Club Player

Was drafted as a back flanker/midfielder. Has played there a bit in junior days.

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Would be a good move, though I would also like to see him into the middle. Hopefuly he has one hell of a pre-season.

Carpe Diem
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Sounds like it could be a good option then. I suppose the running half backs are part of the midfield now anyway, with Gram, Chips, Joey, Gilbo, Raph and possibly Armo we've got a few that can rotate through.

I've heard Alex Rance mentioned as a key defender that may be available at No.9 for us. With Max having a few years left it would be an ideal time to pick up a young fella who could grow into the role by the time Max retired. I'd like to see Gilbo a bit further up the ground that stuck at FB.

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

Sounds good to me particualrly with Attard out for a few months. Give the Kid a Defensive tagging job maybe?

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

Sounds good to me particualrly with Attard out for a few months. Give the Kid a Defensive tagging job maybe?

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

We need midfielders desperately and we already have too many defensive flankers in the team.

S.Fisher
Goddard
Gram
Gilbert
R.Clarke
L.Fisher

Attard
Gwilt
Ferguson

Armitage was recruited to become an onballer and ultimately take Harvey's spot in the side. That is where he is needed and that is where he should play.

nicko016
Club Player

I'd first give him a crack and play him a few games in the centre and see if he can stand the heat. Maybe he could have an impact similiar to Joel Selwood. Has the body size but is yet to prove his temperament. If he can't stand the heat put him to HB and see if he can fin a bit more of the ball which will quickly build his confidence. Plus, he is not slow so will add some good run off HB.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

nicko016 wrote:I'd first give him a crack and play him a few games in the centre and see if he can stand the heat. Maybe he could have an impact similiar to Joel Selwood. Has the body size but is yet to prove his temperament. If he can't stand the heat put him to HB and see if he can fin a bit more of the ball which will quickly build his confidence. Plus, he is not slow so will add some good run off HB.
Agree nicko016

Good Post :wink:

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Lets give him a BIG pre-season and then decide where he plays !!

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:Sounds like it could be a good option then. I suppose the running half backs are part of the midfield now anyway, with Gram, Chips, Joey, Gilbo, Raph and possibly Armo we've got a few that can rotate through.

I've heard Alex Rance mentioned as a key defender that may be available at No.9 for us. With Max having a few years left it would be an ideal time to pick up a young fella who could grow into the role by the time Max retired. I'd like to see Gilbo a bit further up the ground that stuck at FB.
Alex Rance-194cm, 87kg-Swan Districts. ( CHB/FB). The star defender of the National champs. His run out of defence was great. His defensive work was excellent. Has good pace and skills for a big bloke. He worked in well with Browne and Meyers to give WA the killer dash from defence. His handballing was creative and he hits targets by foot. He is simply a defender that every club will rate.
Top 15 pick.

Going by this description i doubt he'd last until pick #9

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

therse a few from the WA crop worth a look this year but most are going to be gone by pick 9 i think maybe a few will slip through for our first pick but by our second round i dont see it being as fruitful as last year

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
kp83
Club Player

redwhite&blackblood wrote:Sounds good to me particualrly with Attard out for a few months. Give the Kid a Defensive tagging job maybe?
Just an opinion, but I don't like the idea of giving kids jobs just for the sake of it. If we eventually want Armo to be an attacking mid, why send him into games with his focus being on stopping someone else?

An example is Andrew Walker and Bryce Gibbs at Carlton. They don't seem to have developed much given their potential because it appeared that Pagan wanted them to tag, rather than run forwards and set things up.

Just a thought, I may well be proven wrong...

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Walker aint to shabby at all

Carpe Diem