Okay, So Say Goose Maguire leaves.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:basically Carl if he was in contract he could be sent anywhere without his permission per say.

because he is out of contract he has to agree to go to the club.
how the hell did we let him get out of contract?

a very much required player i would have thought. now we might have to watch from the sidelines as he carves us up for the next 10 years (worst case scenario)
Last edited by bigcarl on Thu 20 Sep 2007 8:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:He has to agree to go to another club otherwise he can just go in the PSD. We cannot send him where he doesnt want to go because we get a good trade.
i see. that makes it a bit harder. thanks for that. sorry woosaints, i can see what you are getting at now. i have a poor understanding of the trading rules

it's all hypothetical, but are we allowed to do a deal with richmond? They'd be hoping like hell he went into the PSD
Usually clubs even if they have first pick in the PSD trade so they create some sort goodwill.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

the deck seems stacked against the club with an out-of-contract player.

all someone has to do then is offer you more money and, basically, there is nothing you can do. is that how it works?

so what is the best we can hope for if goose doesn't re-sign?

i'm not one for matching hawthorn's offer (too much like a gun held at your head for mine) ... but we could offer him more than he's getting.

under the gt scheme he would have just been offered the captaincy next year. simple. plus goose wanted to play for gt ... perhaps he doesn't have the same rapport with RL

QueenC
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
Would you like one of our mids (Bruce, Johnstone) or maybe Robbo or one of our rucks or possibly our second pick in the draft?

Just checking!!!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

QueenC wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Would you like one of our mids (Bruce, Johnstone) or maybe Robbo or one of our rucks or possibly our second pick in the draft?

Just checking!!!
no goose will sign. it's all hypotheticals. keep your mids and your second pick.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

NO DEAL!

Hawthorn only have 3 players that I'd trade him for and they are Franklin, Roughhead and Hodge. And we all know that this will not happen.

The Goose and Sam Fisher are the key to our defence for the next 5 or so years, CHBs of the Goose's calibre don't grow on trees.

Again NO DEAL, sign him up ASAP.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

If Goose leaves that means we need to get a quality powerful defender. He is possibly our most important player (structure-wise) and without him it screws up our entire back line.

With Goose
B: S.Fisher (attacking third tall), Hudghton (shut-down best goalkicker), L.Fisher (take medium/small forward and provide some drive)
HB: Gram (takes the quickest forward and runs off him when possible), Maguire (takes the CHF and provides some drive), Goddard (loose man)

The likes of Gilbert, Xavier Clarke and Baker are all free to play up the ground and attack.

Without Goose we are forced to play Chips as a negating CHB (which he is not suited to or particularly good at), Gram often takes the third tall and loses his drive, Raph Clarke has to come in and take a dangerous forward and we sometimes need to play Gilbert as a negating defender.

We need a strong CHB. If we lose Goose then we need to get a readymade replacement for him. And that would be extremely difficult. How many decent CHBs are there in the comp? Egan, McPharlin, Hunter...then it falls away to ordinary players who only surive because of double-teaming and flooding (LRT, Stevens, C.Brown, Chaplin etc).

Basically, if Goose walks out we will not have a genuine chance of winning a flag in 2008. Our starting backline would become..
B: R.Clarke, Hudghton, L.Fisher
HB: Gram, S.Fisher, Goddard

That doesn't look too bad on paper, but then take into account that Raph and Max are addicted to injuries, Goddard just missed the year with an ACL and Chips is not an effective CHB. It is more likely that we would play at least half the season with..
B: Gwilt, Gilbert, L.Fisher
HB: Gram, S.Fisher, Goddard

Just re-sign Goose for F***'s sake.

If he nominated Hawthorn as the only club he would be traded to, I would want Trent Croad and their 2nd round draft pick. That would just end up being a completely pointless swap for both teams, though.

woooosaints
Club Player

i think sam fisher is an awesome CHB he might not have the height but remember him playing off pavlich last game?? goose was playing a terrible game on him kicked 2 or 3 on him and then we switched fisher on to him and he got i think 20+ possessions some vital marks and pavlich kicked one goal after

4ever_saint
Club Player

our defence definitely needs maguire.

i believe he is a neccessity at the club and should definitely be on our list next year, and i believe that if the club has any sense whatsoever they would agree to his terms and sign him before he signs with another club.

i do not believe he will sign to another club, as he seems very attatched to the club (he's in the inner-circle of such). that is unless the club doesnt want him anymore.

woooosaints
Club Player

4ever_saint wrote:our defence definitely needs maguire.

i believe he is a neccessity at the club and should definitely be on our list next year, and i believe that if the club has any sense whatsoever they would agree to his terms and sign him before he signs with another club.

i do not believe he will sign to another club, as he seems very attatched to the club (he's in the inner-circle of such). that is unless the club doesnt want him anymore.
why hasnt he signed yet plenty of cap room after gehrig thompson clarke gone

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

woooosaints wrote:i think sam fisher is an awesome CHB he might not have the height but remember him playing off pavlich last game?? goose was playing a terrible game on him kicked 2 or 3 on him and then we switched fisher on to him and he got i think 20+ possessions some vital marks and pavlich kicked one goal after
fisher can play chb at a pinch, but lacks goose's physical presence and ability to take strong, contested marks.

he's better suited as third tall defender, and, in any case i doubt whether max can stand up for a full season, so we might need him at fb.

gilbert is another option, but what a luxury to have a player of his ability to be able to use as a utility.

too good at this stage of his career, imo, to be used in a negative, checking role and i reckon he is quick enough to be added to the midfield rotation next season.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

woooosaints wrote:
4ever_saint wrote:our defence definitely needs maguire.

why hasnt he signed yet plenty of cap room after gehrig thompson clarke gone
I am not sure there is plenty of room but there shoukd be enough but you cannot just say what ever you want we will pay. Has to be fair to all. They should sign him soon I would think.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Do not want Goose to go..think he is part of the heart and soul of this group..

but if he chose to leave we would need Birchall/Maglyn[is that how you spell it ?] type compo...

won't happen!! :x
Last edited by saint patrick on Fri 21 Sep 2007 10:28am, edited 3 times in total.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
battye
Saintsational Legend

Maguire + Pick 9 for Buddy Franklin

DEAL.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
BelfastSaint
Club Player

battye wrote:Maguire + Pick 9 for Buddy Franklin

DEAL.
DEAL being the operative word ...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

DEAL.

who says franklin will be a registered afl player in 2008....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

DEAL.

:lol:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

woooosaints wrote:i think sam fisher is an awesome CHB he might not have the height but remember him playing off pavlich last game?? goose was playing a terrible game on him kicked 2 or 3 on him and then we switched fisher on to him and he got i think 20+ possessions some vital marks and pavlich kicked one goal after
fisher was great in that game.

he also had the benefit of a full pre-season and wasn't coming back from a horrific injury like goose.

both are top players but with different strengths. goose lacks fisher's run but fisher lacks goose's strength and physical presence.

both are needed for a sound all-round defence imo

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:
stinger wrote:

DEAL.

if we did get buddy franklin, how would he go playing at CHB/FB or running around behind the centre sqaure as we did with FG for fair parts of games and this season...

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:
The_Dud wrote:
stinger wrote:

DEAL.

if we did get buddy franklin, how would he go playing at CHB/FB or running around behind the centre sqaure as we did with FG for fair parts of games and this season...
Will never happen...he is the future of the Hawthorn football club ..a nice thought but pure fantasy.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote: Will never happen...he is the future of the Hawthorn football club ..a nice thought but pure fantasy.
i was being tongue in cheek a bit.

we tried hall in defence and FG in defence and flooded (sorry played tempo football :roll: )

because of a lack of quality in defence.

loosing goose would create similar issues in 08.

just tossing it up but if goose was to leave, goose Plus our round 3 pick for miller and Rivers...from the dees.

clear some salary cap room for their judd pull, gives us a 'troubled' forward who can play defence and younger version of Goose, both in their early 20s, can't see miller costing more than 180k p/a and rivers on about 250k so no need to stretch the salary cap.

miller can play 3rd tall in defence or forward line to Rivers/max/fisher taking the better forwards.

miller is no superstar like the dees hoped, but given some talent around him, can be a dangerous marking defender/forward.

dees get some salary cap relief and an opportunity to recruit a smokey given their early draft picks will go for Judd.

personally I would MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH 10 times MUCH MUCH prefer keeping goose.

i heart goose (channeling the viggo fan club :D) but just tossing it up there :D

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

read the last paragraph......

"ST Kilda champion Robert Harvey, 36 last month, will become the first player to celebrate a 21st season next year, committing to another season yesterday.
Harvey announced yesterday that he would commit to one more season.

With his left arm in a cast after post-season surgery to repair a tendon in his wrist and flanked by coach Ross Lyon, Harvey said he wrestled long and hard with his emotions before deciding to build on his club-record 359 games.

"As ridiculous as it probably sounds, I've always been very self-conscious about wearing out the welcome mat," Harvey said.

"When it comes to the crunch, it's hard to do. This one was particularly hard because I honestly thought this was my last year.

"Even though physically and mentally I still feel great, I still feel like I'm contributing; it's really difficult to know what to do.

"Right up to the end (of the season) I was still in a dilemma about playing on.

"It's a big decision. It's been a career for me and something I really love. I love the club, but I didn't want to make the wrong decision, and hopefully I haven't."

Harvey is likely to finish high in the club's best-and-fairest -- an award he has won four times and finished in the top three on 10 occasions.

The dual Brownlow medallist, who made his debut in the same year five of his teammates were born, said that becoming the league's only 21-season player was a dubious honour.

"It saddens me a bit to hear it," Harvey said.

"I was told last week that was the case -- I don't like hearing it. I've just got to make sure now I do everything to make sure it's a good year for myself and my club."

Harvey, who delayed addressing his future until after St Kilda's season had ended, said there were two factors in his decision to continue.

"Physically, I still feel like I'm competing. My running capacity is such I can still compete against the younger guys. I still feel like I can keep up OK. I've had a couple of injuries, but I've still managed to play 85 per cent of the last couple of years," Harvey said.

"Secondly, the club's attitude. If there was any hesitation at all, I was certainly going to finish.

"I've been more than happy with how the club has treated me and my relationship with it over 20 years."

Harvey said his wife Danielle had left the decision to him.

"I don't think she's too fussed. I've been saying it for the last four years, 'One more year, one more year'," he said.

Harvey, who was encouraged by his coach and the players to continue, said a strong list and the belief there a flag was within reach was a carrot.

Football operations manager Ken Sheldon said uncontracted trio Matt Maguire, Steven Baker and Xavier Clarke had expressed a desire to stay with the Saints and contract talks were well advanced."

...well stop flowering around and sign them for f**** sake...........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote: ...well stop flowering around and sign them for f**** sake...........
exactly

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
stinger wrote: ...well stop flowering around and sign them for f**** sake...........
exactly
Gentlemen we went through the same thing with

Roo & Dal - Signed

Kosi & Fisher - Signed

Goose, Baker & X - THEY WILL SIGN!!!

Stress less

RooandKosi
Club Player

lose goose we gone for 2008.

it will upset the whole group