Has sheldon kicked some goals lately?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Has sheldon kicked some goals lately?

Was just thinking that along with the signing on roo, dal, chips, x, maguire, kosi etc. plus the re-working of the hamill contract, has sheldon done a good job in the past 2 months?

We have news of judd leaving WCE, sherman and adcock leaving brisbane etc. yet we have signed all our stars. Perhaps kenny is improving as he learns on the job?

discuss

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

just would have liked them all signed earlier so that it didn't get to the multpile rumour stage at times when everyone's nerves are stretched by end of season feelings.. :?

try for some more of those mid season and mid contract renewals.
Last edited by saintbrat on Wed 26 Sep 2007 8:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Behind Play
Club Player

He is probably feeling a bit of pressure....especially after the balls up with Baker.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

gotta give them credit thats for sure

Before Im 85
1eyedNever
Club Player

Ever

try for some more of those mid season and mid contract renewals.

Maybe people should realize that some players will hold OFF to the end of season to increase their pay which is their right.
Plus look what a mid season extention did for us with Hammil

SKFC has now been confirmed as the AFLs BITCH
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ok lets look at it analytically...

Cons:
There are many posters who have stated that Sheldon has done a bad job......but there is virtually no indication of how or why this is so apart from vague statements EXCEPT for the Baker Defence.

If anyone else hasa con...please list.

Pros:

With Maguire having re-siggned it would appear that all players have been re-signed as it basically now only leaves X.....who I think we can assume will sign.

With the current contracts.....

1/ there is from reports enough money left free to pay out a large chunk of Hamill's contact THIS year...to help free up space in the salary cap to sign an extablished player such as Jolly for example.

2/there is also part from this advance payment room left in the salary cap to sign an established player.

Now compare this to what has happened in recent years

1/ Several players have walked out on the club as they stated that they could not achieve the $$$ they were after.

2/ That as our salary cap was maxed out the Saints also had to play with a list up to 2 players short...DESPITE havinga cripling injury rate.

3/ The player contacts had to be fiddled with with up to 5 year contracts being given. This bit us on the bum with Hamill and Penny.

Conclusion

1/ Many are saying that KS is doinga bad job, but after from the Baker defence there does not seem to be any indication of what this is.

2/ That specifically if you look at players contracts and payments that KS would actually be, from what can be seen, be doing a superior job to what GT did.

Perhaps other posters can list what KS has done wrong or where he has not achieved????

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Nup, spot on saintsRrising.

Can only go with the facts, and apart from Baker (which was a BIG stuff-up) Sheldon seems to have done most things right.

Maybe he's learning in the role ...

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Con: Came out and said that we would throw the kitchen sink to get Judd, but he doesn't even want to meet with us. Looks stupid, should have checked first.

Con: Handling of tribunal cases ALL year. What about the two Baker incidents from the Blues game when we appealed? Very poor

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure that KS has too much to do with the handling of players' contracts.

I get the impression that Archie, as CEO, does most of the serious negotiating.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

so far so good.

i think pretty much everyone who needs to be wrapped up, has been.

i was a fan of KS, then I wasnt, if he can deliver quality talent in the draft and trade week, will be a fan again :D

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:Con: Came out and said that we would throw the kitchen sink to get Judd, but he doesn't even want to meet with us. Looks stupid, should have checked first.

Con: Handling of tribunal cases ALL year. What about the two Baker incidents from the Blues game when we appealed? Very poor
at that time the media was asking every coach if they were going to persue Judd if he said no we would of all been up in arms cryin why not

in all honesty i think KS has done an ok job (baker stuff up was it really his fault i mean KS isnt a lawyer i would be more angry at our so called legal representitive then KS)

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
To the top
SS Life Member

Get the message people, Baker was "done for" after the Richmond game and it only got worse after the WCE game.

He is a marked player, and NO defence would have got him off.

His form is not a patch on where it was in his B&F year, and it is declining because he needs a specific match up.

Put him on the trade table and see what is offered.

In fact, put him on the trade table with Milne and see what is offered.

Nix, nought, nothing.

THAT is his worth to the club now, a bit player who is a risk.

It is time we moved on from Baker and Milne - and what ages are they now - so how much improvement is in them?

Baker was NEVER going to be defended - no matter what.

The fault for this lies with Baker.

What Lyon does with these 2 will be interesting - because it will set the direction of the club.

Sheldon has done well, and that is no surprise.

GrumpyOne

Mr Magic wrote:I'm not sure that KS has too much to do with the handling of players' contracts.

I get the impression that Archie, as CEO, does most of the serious negotiating.
Concur.

ifonlybarkswashere
Club Player

To the top wrote:Get the message people, Baker was "done for" after the Richmond game and it only got worse after the WCE game.

His form is not a patch on where it was in his B&F year, and it is declining because he needs a specific match up.

Nix, nought, nothing.

It is time we moved on from Baker and Milne - and what ages are they now - so how much improvement is in them?

What Lyon does with these 2 will be interesting - because it will set the direction of the club.

A bit harsh TTT, Bakes and Milne have always had very specific roles..this is stating the obvious and I can't see how a supposed dud season by both (which I disagree with) deserves having their heads bandied around on the trade chopping block. It is in fact a little disrespectful to them the more I think about it.

The one thing that irks me about the off season is that everyone feels they have the right to float players they dislike for whatever reason as trade bait... it's a little naff imho and I've no doubt leads to the premature exit of many who just get sick of all this type of bullshtye that goes on between October and March.

...bugger me age and me cranky ways
I'll send my bones to the contest again
bozza1980
Club Player

I'm not sure I'd be prepared to throw Baker or Milne on the scrap heap.

I think they are of more value on the list than on the trade table as I don't think anyone would give us anything worthwhile for them.

The Milne trade boat sailed a couple of years ago, Essendon had a few nibbles at him then but with a new coach hoping to clean out the club I wouldn't think there would be much room for a 27 year old goal sneak.

They've both been good servants that are in our best 22 players, I don't think there is any doubt you would keep them, unless a suprisingly good deal remarkably appeared.

Washedup
Club Player

i was a fan of KS, then I wasnt, if he can deliver quality talent in the draft and trade week, will be a fan again
One thing is for sure, it can only get better than what has been achieved on the drafting/trading front in the past few seasons.

GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

TTT, what I find amusing from you is that the administration is above criticism,

but feel free to bag the players anytime.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:Con: Came out and said that we would throw the kitchen sink to get Judd, but he doesn't even want to meet with us. Looks stupid, should have checked first.

there's a couple for starters......also judd's manager was less than complimentary .....he's also goose's manager and baker's ...i think...said he couldn't get the club to the starting gates...i reckon the deals have been done because they can feel the blow torches on their arses.....does wonders for your decision making processes....

...hate to think what would have happened if the sff mob hadn't come along and these guys were snug and smug in their den at moorabbin.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

there's a couple for starters......also judd's manager was less than complimentary .....he's also goose's manager and baker's ...i think...said he couldn't get the club to the starting gates...i reckon the deals have been done because they can feel the blow torches on their arses.....does wonders for your decision making processes....

...hate to think what would have happened if the sff mob hadn't come along and these guys were snug and smug in their den at moorabbin.....
AF is also involved in contracts and SFF look like keeping him. Very selective.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Get the message people, Baker was "done for" after the Richmond game and it only got worse after the WCE game.

Nix, nought, nothing.

i can see where you are coming from....i used to think you were part of the current establishment...but you are not...you are not even a supporter of the st kilda football club....just a troll.......who do you really support...port or adelaide i'm betting......f w....

sheldon's a goose.....always was...always will be...and a blue one at that...the quicker that sff get in there...the quicker that kenny will be shown the door.....

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

lets be realistic judd was NEVER going to come to St kilda when KS was asked about him hes not going to say "umm no we dont stand a chance at getting him " the supporters would go crazy asking why not and why arent we moving heaven and hell to get him so yeah he gave the members some lip service by saying we were in the hunt

also who was our legal rep. for the baker case ?? wouldnt you think that the legal rep being the one with the qualifications would advise bakes to sfu ? no lets blame Kenny for it :roll:

in honesty if we didnt have the SFF group there would be no percived tension at the club and the club would look like a stable environment

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintly
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

Maguires' and baker manager are more likely to say that. they want more more money for themselves and for the the player!. he is or nearly any player manager is going to say how wonderful and easy it is to deal with a club.

how many times have you heard from a manager saying that other clubs are looking... and then whent eh players signs up to their original tieam the player states, oh i was never going to leave!!

its all stuff and nonsense.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:lets be realistic judd was NEVER going to come to St kilda when KS was asked about him hes not going to say "umm no we dont stand a chance at getting him " the supporters would go crazy asking why not and why arent we moving heaven and hell to get him so yeah he gave the members some lip service by saying we were in the hunt

also who was our legal rep. for the baker case ?? wouldnt you think that the legal rep being the one with the qualifications would advise bakes to sfu ? no lets blame Kenny for it :roll:

in honesty if we didnt have the SFF group there would be no percived tension at the club and the club would look like a stable environment
the two legal reps on the board who are the two to join the new sff board were not consulted...frozen out...don't take my word for it ask them...it has been well reported...but then living in the west i don't suppose news travels that far west of the victorian border..... :roll: :roll:

..."in honesty if we didnt have the SFF group there would be no percived tension at the club and the club would look like a stable environment"

you posted the above....thatr is just plainly not true.....

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Looks like Ken has stuffed up again....I mean signing Misson...what is he thinking :wink:

Blues were VERY keen to land Misson....so well done KS!!!!!

Perhaps KS deserves some credit???????

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

the power of suggestion is a powerful thing

a few forumites point blame at KS for a few things and then the bandwagon forumites spin everything he does into a negative

Example
He gets all the contracts done, ppl say it should have been done midseason even though this time of year is quite standard as players like to wait unitl the end of the season