Warnie on the Saints and Aaron Hamill

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintm
Club Player

Warnie on the Saints and Aaron Hamill

Small piece in today's Herald Sun on Shane Warne (can't find a link - and there are no mentions of an ex-wife!!) which discusses in part Aaron Hamill's retirement.

Says that he was upset by Aaron's decision as his body was feeling pretty good and he (Shane) thought he had one maybe two seasons left. Goes on to say that Aaron was "one of the best players on their list. I hope St Kilda do everything in their power to keep him at the club."

Also briefly discusses the new board and how he may not play for Hampshire next year but stay home to watch the Saints and perhaps be more involved with the Club.

Article is on Page 55 of the edition I have.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I think saying Hamill is one of the best players on out list is a bit of an exaggeration, I haven't really seen him in our starting 22 for about 2 years now. It would be good to have him more involved with the club, hopefully he can bring his wallet with him. He could be helpful with the younger players' personal development, teaching them how to deal with stress and handling media scrutiny etc.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

in all honesty we all know warney is a saints man but how many games do you reckon he sees ? hes hardly a bloke to nominate our best players

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

from memory the article said he might not play county cricket in england next season. wants to see his kids more (now they are back in melbourne with simone) and wants to get to more st kilda games.

we should offer him no. 1 ticket holder if this is the case. whatever judgements people might make on his personal life he is a national hero and a living legend in cricketing nations around the world.

would be good for promoting our brand and perhaps we could then attract a major mobile phone telecommunications company as a sponsor
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 08 Oct 2007 2:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:from memory the article said he might not play county cricket in england next season. wants to see his kids more (now they are back in melbourne with simone) and wants to get to more st kilda games.

we should offer him no. 1 ticket holder if this is the case. whatever judgements people might make on his personal life he is a national hero and a living legend in cricketing nations around the world.

i see good old molly meldrum at plenty of our matches...i remember he used to hold the no1 ticket

who had it this year?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:
bigcarl wrote:from memory the article said he might not play county cricket in england next season. wants to see his kids more (now they are back in melbourne with simone) and wants to get to more st kilda games.

i see good old molly meldrum at plenty of our matches...i remember he used to hold the no1 ticket

who had it this year?
i though i read somewhere Linsay Fox is a no.1 ticket holder

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintm
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:in all honesty we all know warney is a saints man but how many games do you reckon he sees ? hes hardly a bloke to nominate our best players
Probably doesn't see them live (bit like me) but I would think he has watched every game this year. Aaron used to send him a DVD of each match when Warnie was o/seas, don't know if this is still the case.

As for the No. 1 ticket holder we could go down the Collingwood path where all members are considered equal and they therefore no longer have a No. 1 ticket holder. (sounds a bit like an early ad for the Communist party, doesn't it!!)
Last edited by saintm on Mon 08 Oct 2007 3:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Armoooo wrote:I think saying Hamill is one of the best players on out list is a bit of an exaggeration, I haven't really seen him in our starting 22 for about 2 years now. It would be good to have him more involved with the club, hopefully he can bring his wallet with him. He could be helpful with the younger players' personal development, teaching them how to deal with stress and handling media scrutiny etc.
Another poster with a short memory.

Sammy was in our top 5 at his best... Warnie's point was that Hamill would still be crucial to us if he was fit. He was just a super player from 2001-2004... tragic that injuries cut short what would have been a truly great career.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:
Armoooo wrote:I think saying Hamill is one of the best players on out list is a bit of an exaggeration, I haven't really seen him in our starting 22 for about 2 years now. It would be good to have him more involved with the club, hopefully he can bring his wallet with him. He could be helpful with the younger players' personal development, teaching them how to deal with stress and handling media scrutiny etc.
Another poster with a short memory.

Sammy was in our top 5 at his best... Warnie's point was that Hamill would still be crucial to us if he was fit. He was just a super player from 2001-2004... tragic that injuries cut short what would have been a truly great career.
When was the last time he was fit? 2004 was a long time ago now and in my book Hamill is no loss because for the past 3 years he has been a liabilty. As for my memory I remember him when he was it his best for us, he was hard and a great leader but I wouldn't put him in our top 10 players now. Atleast he has freed up some salary cap room.
By your logic we had an even greater loss in Andrew Thompson :roll:

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

The last time Hamill was fit was the middle of 2005.

We were playing the Cats at the Dome, and Hamill single-handedly tore them to shreds.

He controlled the game and cut Geelong to pieces, and was the standout difference between two otherwise evenly matched sides.

Had Sammy not played, I've got no doubt we would have lost that match.

Which meant probably missing the top four, and not making a Preliminary Final.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Still how often does a player miss what is effectively 3 years of football and come back even servicable.
As for the one game against Geelong I am pretty sure we can name atleast one game that a player has dominated in for our top 26 players...

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Still how often does a player miss what is effectively 3 years of football and come back even servicable.
As for the one game against Geelong I am pretty sure we can name atleast one game that a player has dominated in for our top 26 players...
The Geelong game was the last one Sammy played that he dominated. He has dominated many prior to that. Was sensational for us in 02/03/04.

As for coming back successfully after missing 3 years ...

Brendon Lade did it.

Jason Cripps did it.

Can be done ...

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

How good was he in Round 1, 2005 vs Brisbane? Looked sensational - the catalyst for the comeback which nearly won us the game.

Missing him in the finals of 04-05 was a collossal blow, and having him miss most of 06 was a killer as well.

Needless to say, he didn't show in 07, and we missed the eight.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i though i read somewhere Linsay Fox is a no.1 ticket holder
oh well, wouldn't want to upset lindsay. been a great servant of the club for many years and played a crucial role in saving us when we were bankrupt in the 1980s. perhaps we could involve warnie in the club in other ways. would be a PR coup for us to have him seen around the club as often as possible. and maybe one of the big mobile phone firms would come on board as a sponsor ... warnie uses our phones for text messages etc
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 08 Oct 2007 4:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Yes but Lade was like 26 or 27 when he did, and how much room on the salary cap were those 2 taking at that point.
I would be disappointed if he was named next year even if he didn't retire, the reason we are in the state we are atm was because of our lack of youngsters coming through...

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

AFAIC Hamill was in our Top 10 players until the end of '05. So up to that point, any money he received was worth it completely.

'06 made it clear that he was starting to struggle, but at his best Sammy was worth every penny of the 450k per year.

Still sad to see him go, but I don't disagree with the decision. It was time.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

would not be suprised if he joined klim on the football panel. Westaway did say that there were a couple of well knowns that were willing to help out but wanted to stay out of the board rumblings.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
yipper
SS Life Member

Oh When the Saints wrote:AFAIC Hamill was in our Top 10 players until the end of '05. So up to that point, any money he received was worth it completely.

'06 made it clear that he was starting to struggle, but at his best Sammy was worth every penny of the 450k per year.

Agree - absence has made some ppl forget how good this bloke really was. A super player who made all his teammates stand taller. A powerful man, with a fiercely competitive nature. He lifted our club into the world of professionalism as much as any one person has ever done. A perfect role model for the likes of Rooey, Kossi and co. Very sad he finished the way he did.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
milney044
Club Player

yipper wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:AFAIC Hamill was in our Top 10 players until the end of '05. So up to that point, any money he received was worth it completely.

Agree - absence has made some ppl forget how good this bloke really was. A super player who made all his teammates stand taller. A powerful man, with a fiercely competitive nature. He lifted our club into the world of professionalism as much as any one person has ever done. A perfect role model for the likes of Rooey, Kossi and co. Very sad he finished the way he did.
yep 100% agreed. apart from being a fine half forward, aaron offered so much out on the ground that had nothing to do with talent. a great leader, "made all his teammates stand taller" - i couldnt have said it better myself. his work rate and desire not only for the ball but to help out a teammate will be hard to replace.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:would not be suprised if he joined klim on the football panel. Westaway did say that there were a couple of well knowns that were willing to help out but wanted to stay out of the board rumblings.
interesting. welcome aboard warnie. he'll end up posting on sainsational

bungiton
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
Solar wrote:would not be suprised if he joined klim on the football panel. Westaway did say that there were a couple of well knowns that were willing to help out but wanted to stay out of the board rumblings.
Or sms'ing all the chicks

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

bungiton wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Or sms'ing all the chicks
is that who sms'd me about baker the other day....

get warney down at the club with his magic txting finger! :wink:

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Carl Mynott
Club Player

I'm glad the Hamill,will he play,won't he play, scenario has ended and there is now another spot on the list for someone who can play if he's picked......

Hamill now joins an ever increasing list of former players who had their moments and are now gone..

I like any player who has helped the Saints achieve a modicum of success and Hammer sure did that.......

:P

The more things change the more they stay the same
The Peanut
Club Player

Carl Mynott wrote:I'm glad the Hamill,will he play,won't he play, scenario has ended and there is now another spot on the list for someone who can play if he's picked......

Hamill now joins an ever increasing list of former players who had their moments and are now gone..

I like any player who has helped the Saints achieve a modicum of success and Hammer sure did that....... :P
Yep ... was GREAT when he played ... unfortunately nowhere near as often as we would have liked - great on-feild leader and sent the shivers down the oppositions spine and our guys stood taller when he was around ... but in the end, just another hard luck story for himself firstly and us supporters. Aaron Hamill - you will not be forgotten by us Sainters or by the brown paper baggers on the other side of the Yarra. :wink:

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

:(

I for one will miss him.

his form was always far more than the stats he recorded.

IMO when he was out there whether we were 100 points in front or 100 points behind he was playing 100% football.

Even the brions fans knew that Johnson/krays even mal michael at 15kgs heavier couldn't cower hamill.

and at 90kgs and barely over 6 foot with what looked like less than 4% body fat, when he was after you, you know someone was going to be in a world of pain.

he put more into his 90 games or so for st kilda than some put into their careers :(

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!