Trade Week (Updated - Mattner to Swans 4:40pm Tues)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWodonga
Club Player

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/saint ... 23230.html

ST KILDA moved straight to the heart of a heated market for ruckmen yesterday by offering a three-year contract to Geelong's Mark Blake that, financially, is likely to be beyond the premiers to match.

Blake is yet to decide if he will leave behind the disappointment of his 11th-hour omission from the premiership team for a new start but the Saints signalled their intention yesterday to make that decision easier rather than harder with their offer, which is understood to be in excess of $800,000 over the three years.

"Like a lot of clubs we're looking to bolster our ruck division. With a young ruckman like Mark Blake considering his future, we're putting St Kilda at the forefront," said football operations manager, Ken Sheldon.

The Cats told clubs on the opening day of trading yesterday that Blake is required at Geelong — as is midfielder Brent Prismall — and did not raise the option of moving Steven King on to ease Blake's concerns about again playing third banana to Brad Ottens and the man who replaced him in the grand final 22.

The Saints are less interested in King who, at 28, is six years older than Blake, but the former captain is likely to be the player the Cats release if one has to go — especially if money has to be found to improve Blake's offer against the salary cap pressure that will inevitably increase as the club seeks to hold its premiership list together.

Whether the Saints, who also have an interest in Melbourne's Chris Johnson, are prepared to go as far as offering their first-round selection (pick nine) to Geelong for Blake was unclear last night but they were conceding that they will need to trade given the interest from Richmond, among others, in the follower.

The Tigers, with first pick in the pre-season draft, have another option available to them. Richmond's director of football, Greg Miller, met Blake's agent Anthony McConville yesterday afternoon.

The Cats indicated yesterday that they are prepared to discuss Charlie Gardiner, Henry Playfair and Kane Tenace and have all but agreed to release Tim Callan to the Western Bulldogs for a late-round pick, but Geelong would not budge on Prismall despite interest from Essendon and Melbourne.

The Saints are in a crowded field vying for a ruckman, but they need to be — the club has had trouble filling the role since the lack of faith in ruckmen displayed by former coach Grant Thomas in the first half of the decade, the retirement of Matthew Clarke, the doubts about Michael Gardiner's ability to return to the game and the failure of Barry Brooks.

Melbourne offered its third round-selection, pick 37, for Adelaide ruckman John Meesen, an offer that was refused. The Crows want a second-round selection for the player they chose with pick eight in the 2004 national draft.

The Western Bulldogs were moving closer to the idea of giving up their second-round pick, selection 22, for another Adelaide ruckman, Ben Hudson, but if they do they hope to return to the second round by trading a player out — in all likelihood running defender Jordan McMahon.

Collingwood, like the Tigers and Saints, were declaring their interest in Brisbane ruckman Cameron Wood. The Magpies were contemplating the possibility of giving up their first-round pick, selection 14, to put the contracted 20-year-old into a black-and-white jumper.

Given the higher draft positions of both Richmond and St Kilda, who are eyeing Wood in the event that they miss out on Blake, the Magpies believe that it might take their first-round selection to win the day

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

You seriously have to hope we won't go in for Blake unless the offer is seriously skewed in our favour.

He's an average ruckman who's not worth that kind of money. Cameron Wood is a vastly superior prospect.

I'd rather pick up King for next to nothing than give up heaps for Blake. I'd also be loitering around to see what happens with Ben Hudson - that's not a done deal with the Dogs just yet.

Chris Johnson doesn't interest me either, unless it involved us getting rid of deadwood.

Kane Tenace arouses some interest. He'd be available well under the odds and he definitely has the capacity to become a very good player.
Last edited by evertonfc on Tue 09 Oct 2007 1:45am, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Blake is yet to decide if he will leave behind the disappointment of his 11th-hour omission from the premiership team for a new start but the Saints signalled their intention yesterday to make that decision easier rather than harder with their offer, which is understood to be in excess of $800,000 over the three years.
Surely not...He would be earning about as much as Gram or Montagna if we are actually making such a ridiculous offer.

Come on. This guy's job is to stop the opposition's backup ruckman from dominating. We should not be considering trading pick 9 for Mark Blake, who can not hold his own against any decent opposition ruckman and averages less than 3 kicks per game. The guy who has kicked 2 goals in his 33 games. For god's sake, he is TRENT KNOBEL the second!

If we pull off (Pick 9 for Blake with him getting 800k over 3 years) this deal it will go down as a worse decision than Carlton stealing Ackland off us.

ben_fff
Club Player

I don't even know who Johnson is, I guess that's how much Melbourne interest me.

I agree with you Everton, I wouldn't want Blake for anything pricey which is what the Cats will want.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 11:14am, edited 1 time in total.

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Relax, as far as I can see we have offered nothing so far for Blake.

It's just an offer to bring Geelong to the trade table ... if they deem Blake worthy of pick 9, then by way of reasoning King at 28 must be worth significantly less.

All puff at the moment gents! :D

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

We can't afford to stuff up trade week.

Don't butcher us at the table, Sheldon. Don't try to be a hero and think you can appease the fans by dressing up a mutton ruckman - albeit a young one - as a prime piece of rucking steak.

We want shrewd deals this year which show us that you're committed to getting the best for this football club. Not to save your job.

I have to trust the offer to Blake is a smokescreen for a play at someone else, and that you're calling everyone else bluff on Blake in the meantime.

Please let it be true.
aussierules0k wrote:
evertonfc wrote:You seriously have to hope we won't go in for Blake unless the offer is seriously skewed in our favour.

He's an average ruckman who's not worth that kind of money. Cameron Wood is a vastly superior prospect.

I'd rather pick up King for next to nothing than give up heaps for Blake.
I just posted the opposite in another thread :)

Shows what I know about footy! I bow to the great evertonfc. :)

Fact: I've never seen Blake play :) I was sucked in by the media hype.
Have your opinion, mate. What I say is just my view. It's not neccesarily right - I supported the deal of 2005 when we traded Pick 17 for Watts. Was I right?
Riewoldting wrote:Relax, as far as I can see we have offered nothing so far for Blake.

It's just an offer to bring Geelong to the trade table ... if they deem Blake worthy of pick 9, then by way of reasoning King at 28 must be worth significantly less.

Let us hope so. I'd be happy to take Blake, but in a swap of players or for a late pick, and for about $100k per year. Doesn't accept? No worries, we look elsewhere.
Last edited by evertonfc on Tue 09 Oct 2007 2:05am, edited 1 time in total.

ben_fff
Club Player

We should trade Sheldon for Port or West Coasts heads of recruiting and development.

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

ben_fff wrote:We should trade Sheldon for Port or West Coasts heads of recruiting and development.
+ Brooks to seal the deal

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Blake isn't worth giving up much for, hes not that good, and i doubt hes gonna get much better

i'd rather give Rix a game and keep our draft picks

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
ben_fff
Club Player

I'm thinking it's more than likely we wont end up with anything after trade week, which doesn't bother me although I would like Cam Wood and would love Schneider or Buchanon.

woooosaints
Club Player

2 dud blakes how nice

ben_fff
Club Player

woooosaints wrote:2 dud blakes how nice
Jason isn't that bad but imagine them rotating through the ruck...

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

surely not blake...i dont want him at the football club regardless of how cheap he might be...in my opinion he was made to look supreme due to the quality of his midfield he had to work with

come on...he was cheered everytime he got a kick when he was on the park...surely that is saying something...those cheers will turn to boo's once geelong starts performing below expectation and his abilities are truly realized...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Riewoldting
SS Life Member

woooosaints wrote:2 dud blakes how nice
I knew some wanker would say that.

Not without justification, but it didn't really need to be said. A real Captain Obvious comment for mine.

woooosaints
Club Player

blake is crap blake2 is crapper
Mark Blake is a number 2 Ruckman no better will never be number one
Jason blake is well hes jason blake

hotdish
Club Player

ben_fff wrote:We should trade Sheldon for Port or West Coasts heads of recruiting and development.
How about the ADELAIDE RECRUITING MANAGER - what's his name?

Matt Rendell! Gee I wonder who I'd take between Sheldon and Rendell!!!
Last edited by hotdish on Tue 09 Oct 2007 2:41am, edited 1 time in total.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

woooosaints wrote:blake is crap blake2 is crapper
I would come in to defend you here, but your sheer contempt for grammar means I can't take what you say seriously, and thus, I'm with Riewoldting on this.

Learn to post mate - you'll end up like homework otherwise.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Mark Blake on $800000 for the next three years!

NEXT!

Chris Johnson on any money what-so-ever!

NEXT!

Oh Wait, Mark Blake for Pick 9 and Chris Johnson for Pick 51 (At Worse)

NEXT...

Oh the joy of being a Saints supporter :roll:

Mark Blake, get him to the club sure. But on EIGHT-HUNDRED THOUSAND Dollars! Pfft. And we better still have pick 9 by the end of this week.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Anyone else feeling confident we will completely stuff up Trade Week and the National Draft yet again?

Anyone else think no other club will want any of our unwanted players, even for a third round draft pick??

Same old, same old..........

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Why do people automatically believe the figure

article UNDERSTOOD to be in excess of $800,000

WHY do people have so much faith in journos/papers

classic grandstanding and covering their ar..

saint4life
fingers
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
woooosaints wrote:blake is crap blake2 is crapper
I would come in to defend you here, but your sheer contempt for grammar means I can't take what you say seriously, and thus, I'm with Riewoldting on this.

Learn to post mate - you'll end up like homework otherwise.
Agree - it's "even more crapper"

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:We can't afford to stuff up trade week.

Don't butcher us at the table, Sheldon. Don't try to be a hero and think you can appease the fans by dressing up a mutton ruckman - albeit a young one - as a prime piece of rucking steak.

We want shrewd deals this year which show us that you're committed to getting the best for this football club. Not to save your job.

I have to trust the offer to Blake is a smokescreen for a play at someone else, and that you're calling everyone else bluff on Blake in the meantime.

Please let it be true.
aussierules0k wrote:
evertonfc wrote:You seriously have to hope we won't go in for Blake unless the offer is seriously skewed in our favour.

I'd rather pick up King for next to nothing than give up heaps for Blake.
I just posted the opposite in another thread :)

Shows what I know about footy! I bow to the great evertonfc. :)

Fact: I've never seen Blake play :) I was sucked in by the media hype.
Have your opinion, mate. What I say is just my view. It's not neccesarily right - I supported the deal of 2005 when we traded Pick 17 for Watts. Was I right?
Riewoldting wrote:Relax, as far as I can see we have offered nothing so far for Blake.

Let us hope so. I'd be happy to take Blake, but in a swap of players or for a late pick, and for about $100k per year. Doesn't accept? No worries, we look elsewhere.
How easy it is if we get a player we dont like to blame Sheldon. I think you will find RL is pulling all the strings on any trade that we do. It will not be like when GT coaches so if you do not like the trades blames one person and it isnt Sheldon. By the way I think RL would know what we need more than anyone on ths forum so if he trades for a player we think isnt up to it lets just wait and see.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Ken Sheldon

Ken Sheldon

Ken Sheldon

Be very afraid Saints fans. The ghosts of 1990, 1991, and 1992 are back to haunt us.

Old Kenny will sell our future down the river once again. We may as well give up our number 9 pick now for a bucket of chips and three steamed dim sims.

killa_gram
Club Player

"Oh O" I am starting to get very scared about trade week........ :shock:

Innocent until proven guilty!

I'm Baaaaaaaaack!!!!!!