Am I the only one who feels for Ben Cousins?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GrumpyOne

alcohol, cocaine, ecstasy, cannibis, anti depressants

Breakfast of Champions.

savatage
SS Life Member

Lennon wrote:
savatage wrote:
I'm not getting any "joy" (I think that's what you meant to say) out of this - but I am not feeling sorry for someone's that's been given the keys to the kingdom but choses to repeatedly f*** himself & the people that care about him. The only problem is Ben only cares for Ben. Until HE shows remorse then the rest is useless.
Drug addicts DO only care about themselves and their drug of choice, that isn't something that's unique to Ben.

And you cannot honestly expect him to show remorse while he's still on drugs.

He should never have been brought back to Australia to play this year.

It was a selfish and stupid decision on the part of the West Coast Eagles, and now, that he has inevitably relapsed after being brought straight back into the environment in which he was first using, West Coast have cut him loose.

If you're looking for somewhere to pour your scorn, choose the club.
Champ you're missing the point - I don't feel sorry for Ben Cousins. End of story. I only feel sorry to those around him that have supported him continually. You are responsible for your own actions. Sad but true.

The club never shoved pills down Ben's throat by the way.

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:It reported that alcohol, cocaine, ecstasy, cannibis, anti depressants and roaccutane were all present.
So the questions that SHOULD be asked is

a) Where did Mainwaring get those drugs from; and

b) Who supplied him with them?

Will this be another Ablett/ Horan episode?

Saint Mik
Club Player

I think I'll stick with my wheat bix thanks Grumpy.

Dont let Brett Lee read this he might give the wheat bix away.

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
Lennon
Club Player

savatage wrote:
Champ you're missing the point - I don't feel sorry for Ben Cousins. End of story. I only feel sorry to those around him that have supported him continually. You are responsible for your own actions. Sad but true.
Would that apply to anyone in the world who has gone to rehab, come back into their old environment, had a traumatic event occur like the death of a friend, and relapsed?

You can't find any pity in your heart for that?
savatage wrote:The club never shoved pills down Ben's throat by the way.
No, but they are responsible for cutting his treatment short and allowing him to play again this year.

savatage
SS Life Member

Lennon wrote:
savatage wrote:
Would that apply to anyone in the world who has gone to rehab, come back into their old environment, had a traumatic event occur like the death of a friend, and relapsed?

You can't find any pity in your heart for that?
savatage wrote:The club never shoved pills down Ben's throat by the way.
No, but they are responsible for cutting his treatment short and allowing him to play again this year.
What part of being responsible for your own actions are you not understanding? Pity in my heart is reserved for kids with cancer, disadvantaged people & people that have had a bad chance at life.

Lennon
Club Player

savatage wrote:
What part of being responsible for your own actions are you not understanding? Pity in my heart is reserved for kids with cancer, disadvantaged people & people that have had a bad chance at life.
I can feel pity for a whole array of people. I don't have a limited amount of the emotion.

But if you want to make something that is highly complex black and white that's your prerogative.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

CURLY wrote:Defanatly feel sorry for him and am also very dissapointed in the Eagles. Being part of a club this is when you should pull together and get behind him. I would be more annoyed as a parent of a possible recruit I would be horrified that they have sacked him. Yes he has done the wrong thing but this is were he needs his club the most thats what being part of a club is about it becomes your family.

gee another post that is so far off the mark it is ridiculous... HORRIFIED THAT THEY HAVE SACKED HIM? have you ever had a job? and if so would you get away with conduct like his.

he has had so many chances it isn't funny and he cntinues to smile and carry on like a bulletproof rockstar, despite the obvious f*** ups he is making.

the eagles i feel have been to gentle with the little prick. Any other player would have been given the ass and shamed but not little benny, he had so many chances, and he still coudn't turn it around.

I assume he will hit rock bottom very soon, and realise that thi is not a joke, but rather a waste of a footballing talent, and a risk to his long term health.

i feel sorry for him in a sense that the dumb prick doesn't realise how lucky he is, but you won't see me showing remorse for him any longer.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
savatage
SS Life Member

Lennon wrote:
savatage wrote:
I can feel pity for a whole array of people. I don't have a limited amount of the emotion.

But if you want to make something that is highly complex black and white that's your prerogative.
Nah it's cool - you can think whichever way you can justify to yourself. I think a person's responsibility is to themselves first & foremost.

savatage
SS Life Member

fonz_#15 wrote:
CURLY wrote:Defanatly feel sorry for him and am also very dissapointed in the Eagles. Being part of a club this is when you should pull together and get behind him. I would be more annoyed as a parent of a possible recruit I would be horrified that they have sacked him. Yes he has done the wrong thing but this is were he needs his club the most thats what being part of a club is about it becomes your family.

gee another post that is so far off the mark it is ridiculous... HORRIFIED THAT THEY HAVE SACKED HIM? have you ever had a job? and if so would you get away with conduct like his.

he has had so many chances it isn't funny and he cntinues to smile and carry on like a bulletproof rockstar, despite the obvious f*** ups he is making.

the eagles i feel have been to gentle with the little prick. Any other player would have been given the ass and shamed but not little benny, he had so many chances, and he still coudn't turn it around.

I assume he will hit rock bottom very soon, and realise that thi is not a joke, but rather a waste of a footballing talent, and a risk to his long term health.

i feel sorry for him in a sense that the dumb prick doesn't realise how lucky he is, but you won't see me showing remorse for him any longer.
This post is right on the money.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Not going to quote the whole post again but a big Amen to the above.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

I honestly believe that ben doesnt have an addicition problem, hes just got a problem with authority and control, and having had pretty much anything he wants for as long as hes wanted, he has pretty much no respect for anything or anyone, including himself...

From what I have seen of drug addicts, i have never, ever seen one in as good as shape as ben has MAINTANED to be in. Whilst he may be an exception, it is very difficult to break away and focus whole heartedly on anything else when you are truely addicited.

I really believe he just likes a good time too much and doesnt give a flying f*** about what anyone else thinks. If he wants to take drugs today cos he likes them, well he will, and who are we to stop him....

He has lost touch with reality, but he is not necassarily an addict. He needs a wake up call, and that doesnt come with a 4 week holiday in the US or losing your job...

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:

Fonz let me guess 19 never had a full time job never played senior football just some wise mouth who calls a 29 year old champion who has a major problem a little prick. Take a look in the mirror fonz. I hope nothing ever happens to but if it does I hope your club(NETBALL PONYCLUB) that you are in stands by you.
Last edited by CURLY on Thu 18 Oct 2007 12:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Can anyone show me where the guy has shown the slightest remorse during all of this??

Ben Cousins is one of the highest paid AFL Players in Australia. Part of the reason why theya re so well paid is that they put themselves at great physical risk every week. Well and good..the other reason (IMHO) is that they are expected to put themselves on a higher behavioural plane than their mates playing in suburban footy or even the WAFL. I have very little doubt that Ben Cousins does not think that any of these rules apply to him.

It may sound petty, but every one of the guys public appearances have been accompanied by the same smirk, the same cocky swagger. Every time I see him I cannot help thinking that he has never at any time wanted or planned to give up his current lifestyle

Yes I feel for his parents..very much so. Cannot imagine how hard it must be living on the other side of the country and seeing your son self-destruct like this.

WCE have a part to play too. Seems to me now that they were very keen to get him back in the Eagles jumper as soon as possible. Yeah yeah they took Doctors advice but surely giving hte whole season to do an entire course of rehab was the preferred option. Not quite sure how you can do rehab as an outpatient?? Especially hanging round your old mates.

Ben Cousins has played his last game of AFL Football. Its painfully obvious now that his lifes priorities are his current batch of ratbag friends and drugs.

Want me to feel sorry for you Ben?? Then go out to the world and aplogise to every 10 y/o kid in Western Australia that used to idolise you...but this time show just a hint of remorse bloody well mean it!!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
GrumpyOne

CURLY wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:

Fonz let me guess 19 never had a full time job never played senior football just some wise mouth who calls a 29 year old champion who has a major problem a little prick. Take a look in the mirror fonz. I hope nothing ever happens to but if it does I hope your club(NETBALL PONYCLUB) that you in stands by you.
I've worked for 40 years and I think Ben Cousins is a little prick.

A little prick with a drug addiction, but a little prick all the same.

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Lennon wrote:
Riewoldting wrote:Sam23, why the F*** have you replaced your Saints avatar with a picture of a former West Coast player?
It's not your concern what anyone uses as their avatar.

Actually I can remember you going so far as to start a thread in general about one of mine. Who the "F***" do you think you are?

Tool.
In that case, it's not your concern what question anyone else chooses to pose to another about their avatar.

Who the "F***" do you think you are, apart from a petty individual making an poor attempt at appearing indignant on behalf of another on an internet forum?

Hypocritical tool.

Re: any comments on your avatar - what was that, six months ago? Twelve?
They were obviously made in jest. Seems like you've been harbouring a grudge for a long, long time. Grow a thicker skin, and grow up.

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

saint66au wrote:Can anyone show me where the guy has shown the slightest remorse during all of this??

Ben Cousins is one of the highest paid AFL Players in Australia. Part of the reason why theya re so well paid is that they put themselves at great physical risk every week. Well and good..the other reason (IMHO) is that they are expected to put themselves on a higher behavioural plane than their mates playing in suburban footy or even the WAFL. I have very little doubt that Ben Cousins does not think that any of these rules apply to him.

It may sound petty, but every one of the guys public appearances have been accompanied by the same smirk, the same cocky swagger. Every time I see him I cannot help thinking that he has never at any time wanted or planned to give up his current lifestyle

Yes I feel for his parents..very much so. Cannot imagine how hard it must be living on the other side of the country and seeing your son self-destruct like this.

WCE have a part to play too. Seems to me now that they were very keen to get him back in the Eagles jumper as soon as possible. Yeah yeah they took Doctors advice but surely giving hte whole season to do an entire course of rehab was the preferred option. Not quite sure how you can do rehab as an outpatient?? Especially hanging round your old mates.

Ben Cousins has played his last game of AFL Football. Its painfully obvious now that his lifes priorities are his current batch of ratbag friends and drugs.

Want me to feel sorry for you Ben?? Then go out to the world and aplogise to every 10 y/o kid in Western Australia that used to idolise you...but this time show just a hint of remorse bloody well mean it!!
Spot on as per usual 66..........
saint66au wrote:Every time I see him I cannot help thinking that he has never at any time wanted or planned to give up his current lifestyle
The only time he'll give it up is when they're sticking him 6 feet under......

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
CURLY wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:

Fonz let me guess 19 never had a full time job never played senior football just some wise mouth who calls a 29 year old champion who has a major problem a little prick. Take a look in the mirror fonz. I hope nothing ever happens to but if it does I hope your club(NETBALL PONYCLUB) that you in stands by you.
I've worked for 40 years and I think Ben Cousins is a little prick.

A little prick with a drug addiction, but a little prick all the same.

A little prick he maybe but still deserves the support of his club.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

gee i thought even you could come up with a better response than that :roll:

i am 19, correct, i have never worked full-time except for a 4 month period between the finish of school and the start of uni, i struggle to see how that is relevant to me asking you if you have ever had a job but anyway.

I've never played senior football, but spend my weekends down at a senior football club, and again i struggle to see how that is relevant to poor benny's unfair treatment :roll:

i am wise enough at 19 to not do drugs and never endeavour to no matter what the situation, i will never be convinced otherwise. So as somebody who appears to be a lot more responsible than victim benny i can call him whatever i want.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: to but if it does I hope your club that you are in stands by you.
Just noticed this: where do you think WCE has failed to stand behind Cousins?

They put up with his problems for several years, sent to to rehab at thier expense on full pay (and were about to do so again) and have offered full support to him even now.

I think they've been more than kind to him, to be honest, if I was WCE prez he would have been out on his proverbial ages ago.

GrumpyOne

CURLY wrote: A little prick he maybe but still deserves the support of his club.
His club paid $60,000 for his rehab in America.

That's support.

And the little prick goes back to his old ways at the first opportunity.

That's called sh1tting on people.

Enough is enough.

Lennon
Club Player

Riewoldting wrote:
Who the "F***" do you think you are, apart from a petty individual making an poor attempt at appearing indignant on behalf of another on an internet forum?

Hypocritical tool.
"making a poor attempt at appearing indignant on behalf of another user"?

Actually, I'm an indiviudal, petty or otherwise, who's had your inexplicable and nasty little comments, in which you always seem to believe it's your place to tell other people how they ought to behave, directed my way.

Don't like it so much when someone comments on you, do you?
Riewoldting wrote:Re: any comments on your avatar - what was that, six months ago? Twelve? They were obviously made in jest. Seems like you've been harbouring a grudge for a long, long time. Grow a thicker skin, and grow up.
And yet you seem to remember it perfectly well yourself.

It was not appreciated because it was directed at a relative. And if that's your idea of humor, God help you.

Try growing up yourself, and having a think about how your comments might come across to others before you try to be funny.

About the only posts you seem to make on this forum are nasty or dictatorial.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:
CURLY wrote: to but if it does I hope your club that you are in stands by you.
Just noticed this: where do you think WCE has failed to stand behind Cousins?

They put up with his problems for several years, sent to to rehab at thier expense on full pay (and were about to do so again) and have offered full support to him even now.

I think they've been more than kind to him, to be honest, if I was WCE prez he would have been out on his proverbial ages ago.
Why do you think they allowed him to stay? Was it because they gained more from him staying that being a premiership. Now they want to wipe there hands of him and hang him out to dry. I can understand if you havent been part of a club to think the Eagles had to sack him but clubs become like family and everything should be done to help him and sacking him wont. Listen to the drug experts all day yesterday pleading there case for them to not sack him as it may propell him into a downward spiral. All clubs big or small have there problem child or children but thats when the strength of a club culture to turn them around comes to the fore front.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

so the eagles should risk lost money through...
ceased sponsorships
lost members
poor attendances in protest against junkies being on their list
afl backlash
shaming from the media

all because benny will be very sad because he is delisted

FAIR DINKUM!!!!

claystreet
Club Player

they sacked him due to him breaking a contract any emplyer will do the same but have said they in no way are leaving him to battle this alone

I dont know what more they can do hes been out to clubs since
he got back from rehab with people saying its part of his rehab ffs
thats the joke of the century

Bens Farked himself no1 else

Just read on the sun page hes in court right now