Watts the Rookie

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Barney2
Club Player

Watts the Rookie

is Watts old enough to be redrafted as a rookie, or do we take him with a low pick assuming no one else pciks him up?
I have heard though his ankle will never be the same again. Anyone can shed light on all of this?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Watts the Rookie

Barney2 wrote:is Watts old enough to be redrafted as a rookie, or do we take him with a low pick assuming no one else pciks him up?
I have heard though his ankle will never be the same again. Anyone can shed light on all of this?

Dunno aboout the rookie thing but why would we redraft him when we delisted him?

Barney2
Club Player

I wouldnt of delisted him, especially G retired now we need a full forward and can kick goals. Unfortunate he was in jured and never had a pre season under his belt. Now fit, we delist him. Give him another chance.

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

watts the point...he's no bloody good

Barney2
Club Player

could never get his body right. Played one game. Dont judge him on that. Put him on min Salary

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

may as well stick with brookes,sweeney & mcqualter as well & fall further behind the pack

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Barney2 wrote:I wouldnt of delisted him, especially G retired now we need a full forward and can kick goals. Unfortunate he was in jured and never had a pre season under his belt. Now fit, we delist him. Give him another chance.

not saying that he deserved to get delisted, but the odds are very very very small the club would delist someone (when they didn't have to) only to redraft them a month later makes absolutely no sense at all.

Barney2
Club Player

that happened with Ferguson didn't it 2 yrs ago?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

yes it did because the saints needed to drop someone off the list so they had 3 picks in the draft. It wasn't by choice but because of neccassity. That isn't the case this year we have 4 or 5 picks in the draft so they didn't need to delist him, but wanted to.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

we've done it 3 times I can remember, fergason, callaghan and someone in the 90s, nixon?

I love ya roger but I reckon watts and mini weren't given a crack and brooks should have played seniors this year, but its all water under the bridge now.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:we've done it 3 times I can remember, fergason, callaghan and someone in the 90s, nixon?

I love ya roger but I reckon watts and mini weren't given a crack and brooks should have played seniors this year, but its all water under the bridge now.

Agree, but there gone and the likely hood of them returning is pretty slim.

GrumpyOne

Dan Warna wrote:we've done it 3 times I can remember, fergason, callaghan and someone in the 90s, nixon?
Frankie Peckett from memory.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
wasn't frankie, I'll look it up, but I think it was in the early 90s, i think it was stephen newport but Im not sure.

edit confirmed in 1990 we traded pick 6 in the national draft for stephen newport, we then drafted him again in 1992 after delisting him.
Last edited by Dan Warna on Mon 05 Nov 2007 2:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

SHUT UP KRIME!
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
wasn't frankie, I'll look it up, but I think it was in the early 90s, i think it was stephen newport but Im not sure.
frankie was delisted, then redrafted

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
frankie was delisted, then redrafted
cool thats 4 then :)

edit: wiki confirmation :
Picked up by the Saints as an impressive 16-year-old, in 1990 Peckett won the St Kilda under 19's best and fairest and remained on the list for the 1991 season, before he was delisted at the end of the year.

He was picked up in the 1992 Pre-season draft at pick #49 to resurrect his career, and debuted late that season (receiving limited game time in his only game for that year). He was selected as a utility player who could play a number of roles, particularly as a small midfielder or a small half back player. He finished 2nd in the Trevor Barker Medal in 1994 and third in 1997.

SHUT UP KRIME!
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Barney2 wrote: I have heard though his ankle will never be the same again.
Barney2 wrote:I Now fit, we delist him.
Try having a crack both ways Barney :wink:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:
Try having a crack both ways Barney :wink:
I think thats errol flynn your think off

SHUT UP KRIME!
Riewoldting
SS Life Member

I really hope Watts lasts until our pick in the PSD, he might just be the injection of youth and strong marking power that we need in the forward line

If we had had Watts on our list in 2006-07 we would have gone pretty close to playing off in a Grand Final, I reckon

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldting wrote:I really hope Watts lasts until our pick in the PSD, he might just be the injection of youth and strong marking power that we need in the forward line

If we had had Watts on our list in 2006-07 we would have gone pretty close to playing off in a Grand Final, I reckon
What? :?

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Sarcasm, Armoo.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I think he will be made a rookie but he'll need to find out where Whitten Oval is if he wants to make training on time.

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Ghost Like wrote:I think he will be made a rookie but he'll need to find out where Whitten Oval is if he wants to make training on time.
“Sorry I’m late Rocket, I could only find something called the ‘Western Oval’ in my 1983 edition of Gregory’s.â€

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldting wrote:I really hope Watts ... strong marking power
Liked the pun Riewoldting ...

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.