Nice blokes or a bit up themselves?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I met the whole team when they came to Warrnambool for a week in 2002 and the only guy who came across as a self-centered wanker was Riewoldt. Even Everitt was a nice guy (even though he was an idiot).

Hamill was more than willing to spend time talking to fans and was very polite. He has probably been frustrated out of his mind over the last 3 years and would cop a lot of crap from supporters about being injured. So it is understandable that he wouldn't smile, laugh, and hand out toys to all the little children when someone has a dig at him.

The few times I have met Harvs he has always been extremely shy.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I met the whole team when they came to Warrnambool for a week in 2002 and the only guy who came across as a self-centered wanker was Riewoldt. Even Everitt was a nice guy (even though he was an idiot).

Hamill was more than willing to spend time talking to fans and was very polite. He has probably been frustrated out of his mind over the last 3 years and would cop a lot of crap from supporters about being injured. So it is understandable that he wouldn't smile, laugh, and hand out toys to all the little children when someone has a dig at him.

i remember that like it was yesterday!
was it only 2002? i thought it would of been at least 2000 or 01!
i remember mum, dad and i went down to lake pertobe or whatever it is, and waited for the guys to turn up, and dad was having a good chat to them, while i didnt care what happened to the rest, as long as i got to see how tell spida was, and what his tattoos looked like!
we waited so long for him, as they had to ride from their hotel to the park, and something must of heald spida up as he was the last one there, and i couldnt believe i was seeing him in real life! :shock:

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Have met: Roo, Lenny, Kosi, Bally, Guerra, and S Fisher, who were all great guys, thing was it was away from footy, and before i got really pissed I talked to them as 2o something blokes not footballers.

When i got too drunk, I spoke With kosi and Bally about footy, and if they remembered me they would think I was arrogant and a big d head, but then my mates think that as well :wink: ...they were great....

We have to remember they are young men and in groups say stupid things, act immaturely and someitmes look like wankers.

You have to remember as well they sometimes have to put up with fans in places they would think they were immune, like the day S Fisher caught a plane from LA to Melbourne and sat nect to my old man who chewed his ear off the whole way, S Fisher was blookdy nice about it as well, the funny thing was my old man didn't recognise BJ sitting in front of him....

Just take them for what they are, blokes playing footy for the club you love....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
I actually have a negative story about Hamill which I cant be bothered re-telling...lets just say he made me feel like tearing up my membership which had contributed to the overpriced contract he was given.

surprised you didn't, pj....then most carscum supporters have a very negative attitude towards sammy......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Sxc_Sainter
Club Player

I've met all of them and I'm surprised that people find Aaron Hamill to be rude.
In my opinion, I actually would've put him down as one of the more friendly players, but i guess everyone has their off days!
The only one I'd really say I've seen be rude is Matty Maguire, he can sometimes come across as a bit arrogant.
Nick Dal Santo is the nicest by far :) always friendly and up for a chat

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Sxc_Sainter wrote:The only one I'd really say I've seen be rude is Matty Maguire, he can sometimes come across as a bit arrogant.
Goose is unbelieveably arrogant. He thinks he is the best thing that has ever happened to humanity, but he still makes sure he puts on a good show for the supporters at functions. He isn't a bloke that I would want to be mates with, but he does represent the club well at family days, training sessions, functions and in the media and that is all that really matters.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

common thread emmerging here with the class shown by Dal Santo...

have met Kosi and I put him in the same boat...

you can take the boys out of the country....but you cant...... :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
frank_n_beans
Club Player

I've known Bakes for as long as I can remember. I grew up in Colac and my parents were friends with his parents. I went to primary school with Bakes until we moved to Brisbane . He was always a cheeky kid and it seems not much has changed over the years. He still makes a point of stopping in and saying gday to my folks whenever he gets the chance up here in Brisbane. Top Bloke! On the other hand though Nick Riewoldt can sometimes come accross as a bit arrogant...

Your Joking Me!
hellorocky
Club Player

Has anyone mentioned Sam Gilbert? A lovely well mannered modest, young man

Got to know Nicky quite well last year.......charming, charismatic, complex.......

yes Ric, hard to believe 12 months has almost passed since your big day (mine too)

Solar
Saintsational Legend

meet bally at a function down in tassie in I think '04 and he's a total gentlemen, awesome guy.

Dal is so good cause he comes across as a geek in a footballers body, I hazard a guess that sometimes he can't believe his lot in life :P

Loved the story in 2000 of two young draftees coming back from a practice match in northern victoria and stopping to help some saints supporters who had broken down, giving them a lift. Their names, roo and kosi.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
andrew Jobling
Club Player

Met Goose in a cafe in Hampton Street last week, was standing next to him while waiting for my mochachino and looked up and him and said" How the hells it going" he looked down at me at said "bloody alright". I asked about training and the new guys and also how the big Gardener was going. He was more than willing to chat and I find it hard to be believe he would be rude

Behind every great man is...... a surprised woman!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

andrew Jobling wrote:Met Goose in a cafe in Hampton Street last week, was standing next to him while waiting for my mochachino and looked up and him and said" How the hells it going" he looked down at me at said "bloody alright". I asked about training and the new guys and also how the big Gardener was going. He was more than willing to chat and I find it hard to be believe he would be rude
How could anyone be rude to the great Andrew Jobling!

Ex-Saint. Ormond legend.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

mad saint guy wrote:I met the whole team when they came to Warrnambool for a week in 2002 and the only guy who came across as a self-centered wanker was Riewoldt. Even Everitt was a nice guy (even though he was an idiot).

I remember that and I didn't even know who Nick Riewoldt was because he just got drafted, I just remember seeing a bloke with blond hair their :oops:

Then later that night I seen Harves talking at a phone box 8-)

andrew Jobling
Club Player

Jobbers should have played 200 games but for a couple of facts. One he ran like a man with a carrot up his quiote and two he found it hard locating the prune. And what was with the kajagogoo hair style? But besides that a true saint legend.

Behind every great man is...... a surprised woman!
yipper
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
andrew Jobling wrote:Met Goose in a cafe in Hampton Street last week, was standing next to him while waiting for my mochachino and looked up and him and said" How the hells it going" he looked down at me at said "bloody alright". I asked about training and the new guys and also how the big Gardener was going. He was more than willing to chat and I find it hard to be believe he would be rude
How could anyone be rude to the great Andrew Jobling!

Ex-Saint. Ormond legend
Indeed. Played 24 games for the Saints - wore number 46??

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Spinner wrote:
I actually have a negative story about Hamill which I cant be bothered re-telling...lets just say he made me feel like tearing up my membership which had contributed to the overpriced contract he was given.

surprised you didn't, pj....then most carscum supporters have a very negative attitude towards sammy......
Good call.....But

WTF does pj stand for?

mischa
Club Player

Ho-hum. Another hate Nick Riewoldt thread :roll: :roll: :roll: By far and away our best player. So why I am surprised :roll: :roll: :evil: :?:

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

mischa wrote:Ho-hum. Another hate Nick Riewoldt thread :roll: :roll: :roll: By far and away our best player. So why I am surprised :roll: :roll: :evil: :?:
who has said they hate roo ??
all thats been said is hes not a freindly as some of the others
peronally i reckon Roo is the ducks nuts he should captain us and may well go down in history as the greatest saints player no one said they hate him

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

mischa wrote:Ho-hum. Another hate Nick Riewoldt thread :roll: :roll: :roll: By far and away our best player. So why I am surprised :roll: :roll: :evil: :?:
your the most negative positive mixed up thing on this site.

good luck with that.

its a footy forum - exhale..... :roll:

“Yeah….nah””
mandystkilda

I have met Max a few times the 1st was in Adelaide after we beat them in the finals. Max didn't play but he was at the after match function. While he was talking on the phone i let him be. when he had finished his conversation I said hello and asked for a picture, that moment he was called to the stage for interview he appolagised and went to the stage. As soon as he was finished the interview he came straight over to me and I got my photo. Max rocks :wink:

Saints94
SS Life Member

Peter Everitt is a bit up him self i kept on yeling go spida and he said to me"don't be a smart ass" but the reason i kept on yelling is because he was showing how he taps the footy to a mid-fielder

lovin_dal_santo
SS Hall of Fame

I must admit I find it hard to believe that Matty Maguire is as arrogant as some say, will always remember how utterly sweet he was to one young Saints fan after our praccy match against the Pies earlier in the year. While having a chat to him on the ground after the game, a young woman handed him an invite to her 21st birthday. I expected him to be a little thrown by it, but instead gave her hug, kiss on the cheek and told her to wander down to the rooms with him to meet the other boys. Be still my beating heart :wink:

Robert Harvey
What else do we need?
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Never said I hated him, he just dosen;t come across as the sweet natured hero of the people that all the smitten 15 year old girls would like him to be.

A fantastic player (best ever = pfffffffft!) but wouldn't want to spend a day with him, thats all.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

lovin_dal_santo wrote:I must admit I find it hard to believe that Matty Maguire is as arrogant as some say, will always remember how utterly sweet he was to one young Saints fan after our praccy match against the Pies earlier in the year. While having a chat to him on the ground after the game, a young woman handed him an invite to her 21st birthday. I expected him to be a little thrown by it, but instead gave her hug, kiss on the cheek and told her to wander down to the rooms with him to meet the other boys. Be still my beating heart :wink:
"Footy player nice to pretty young girl" who'dve thunk it? :roll:

I'm far from a pretty young girl - I just calls it as I sees it and Matt Maguire is, again, not the most accomodating guy on our list.

lovin_dal_santo
SS Hall of Fame

riccardo wrote:
lovin_dal_santo wrote:I must admit I find it hard to believe that Matty Maguire is as arrogant as some say, will always remember how utterly sweet he was to one young Saints fan after our praccy match against the Pies earlier in the year. While having a chat to him on the ground after the game, a young woman handed him an invite to her 21st birthday. I expected him to be a little thrown by it, but instead gave her hug, kiss on the cheek and told her to wander down to the rooms with him to meet the other boys. Be still my beating heart :wink:
"Footy player nice to pretty young girl" who'dve thunk it? :roll:

I'm far from a pretty young girl - I just calls it as I sees it and Matt Maguire is, again, not the most accomodating guy on our list.
I think it had more to do with the fact that she had a learning disability than her looks, but whatever, that's just my perception of him.. you could be right or we both could be wrong *shrugs*

Robert Harvey
What else do we need?