developing players and our bottom teir

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

developing players and our bottom teir

While we have topped up on some players in trade week and the additions of Schneider, Dempster and C.Gardiner are welcome and a good age (about 23yrs)....we have only a few young players who are likely to develop into really good players>>>

Gilbert - is the standout and saving grace of recent drafting
Armitage - needs to get fit & prove his worth this yearand play 8 games +
McEvoy - good prospect but 3 yr project

After that we don't have alot of players in the "will be good" range...more hopeful ones:

Allen is probably the next best, but then it falls into very uncertain territory with Howard, and of course the 2 late picks from this years draft (a weak draft by all accounts)

While we have a good top 18-22, then a small field of GOP's like Blake, Dempster, Birss but for the first time in a while it feels like we have a long unimpressive tail: with the likes of Gwilt, Ferg, Howard, Rix as well as injury question marks on M.Gardiner.

Nee!
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I would think that Jack Steven will go alright, B&F for Geelong a year ahead of time, I would love to see him spend some time in the VFL and TAC cup next year, he has grunt, pace and he is extremely competative from all reports, sounds like he has the skill and the attitude, watch out for him...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
midas_touch
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:I would think that Jack Steven will go alright, B&F for Geelong a year ahead of time, I would love to see him spend some time in the VFL and TAC cup next year, he has grunt, pace and he is extremely competative from all reports, sounds like he has the skill and the attitude, watch out for him...
Is he able to play for both the VFL and TAC cup?

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

We have had an unimpressive tail for years, it's just now that it's exposed.

Development of players like our current draftees, as well as guys like Allen, Geary, Eddy and Armitage who have all shown they have what it takes to be at least Montagna level.

luckysaint
Club Player

Howard is a prospect

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Our tail is much less unimpressive than it was 2 months ago.

Blokes that were proven not to be able to play have been replaced with blokes that can potentially play!

The depth of the club has improved & there will hopefully be real competition for spots in the best 22 each week. All of this depends on having a reasonable run with injury otherwise blokes will be getting a game undeservedly and some who deserve to get dropped won't.

McEvoy is a pretty mature bodied player so I can see him playing a few cameos as a forward next year. Steven and Connors are project players that will hopefully be fast tracked in their development through training with Banger, Lenny, Dal & Bally and putting pressure on Armitage, Geary and Howard to improve as well.

IMHO I think our list has a very good feel to it and will see another peak reached in 2-3 years time when the kids are coming on & our guns are still in their prime.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:Our tail is much less unimpressive than it was 2 months ago.

Blokes that were proven not to be able to play have been replaced with blokes that can potentially play!
Agree fully with this, we must maintain enough of a turnover of lower end players who have matured and not shown anything. Keep a high number of kids coming through - keep the best ones and ditch the rest.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Re: developing players and our bottom teir

fugazi wrote:and of course the 2 late picks from this years draft (a weak draft by all accounts)
weak draft, yes. did we draft this drafts crop in steven and connors, no.

Steven especially wouldve been very close to if not in the top 10-15 players for next years draft batch

Connors is a bit harder to place due to injuries.

we effectivly only took one pick from this years draft, mcevoy.

next year if we take 3 or 4 real age players then adding on our two bottom aged players from this year we have effectivly taken 5 or 6 players from nexts years draft

so in a shallow draft i believe this is very smart drafting by the johns

sasaint
Club Player

Geary will impress this year IMO. Looked good in the VLF last year. :wink:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:
fugazi wrote:and of course the 2 late picks from this years draft (a weak draft by all accounts)

Steven especially wouldve been very close to if not in the top 10-15 players for next years draft batch

next year if we take 3 or 4 real age players then adding on our two bottom aged players from this year we have effectivly taken 5 or 6 players from nexts years draft

I feel the same - the drafting this year has a tinge of "whats in the cupboard next year" about it. Stevens is a good example from all reports he was a genuine top 10 prospect for next year....if thats so thats impressive drafting strategy and something weve not had for years.

Of what I have no doubt is that Lyon KNOWS how to identify talent and turn it over. IMO St Kilda has a tendancy to take to long to identify those that wont cut the mustard - something that can play a critical part in a lists depth and become a major difference during season between good list management and poor.

“Yeah….nah””
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Of what I have no doubt is that Lyon KNOWS how to identify talent and turn it over. IMO St Kilda has a tendancy to take to long to identify those that wont cut the mustard - something that can play a critical part in a lists depth and become a major difference during season between good list management and poor.
That is crystal clear, the delistings of guys like Sweeney, McQualter, Brooks, Watts - goes to show that he can see football talent. None of these guys even remotely look like beinc picked up, and Brooks doesn't even want to play football anymore. I believe Watts may be in the same boat.

It brings up another point. Have we driven these guys to not wanting to play footy? Or did they just not have the desire to begin with.

Barney2
Club Player

Otiman wrote:
Teflon wrote:Of what I have no doubt is that Lyon KNOWS how to identify talent and turn it over. IMO St Kilda has a tendancy to take to long to identify those that wont cut the mustard - something that can play a critical part in a lists depth and become a major difference during season between good list management and poor.
That is crystal clear, the delistings of guys like Sweeney, McQualter, Brooks, Watts - goes to show that he can see football talent. None of these guys even remotely look like beinc picked up, and Brooks doesn't even want to play football anymore. I believe Watts may be in the same boat.

It brings up another point. Have we driven these guys to not wanting to play footy? Or did they just not have the desire to begin with.
Ferg cannot play becaue of long term injury

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:McEvoy is a pretty mature bodied player so I can see him playing a few cameos as a forward next year.
me too. looks pretty developed for his age

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Barney2 wrote:
Otiman wrote:

Ferg cannot play becaue of long term injury
isnt he playing for old hailbury or someone in the victorian amateur league

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Barney2 wrote:Ferg cannot play becaue of long term injury
Could you elaborate? I would have thought he'd be one of the first to go if we didn't see him as being a good player for our future. Sure, he's injury prone, but if we go to the lengths of paying McQualter's contract out, surely we could get rid of Ferguson if he's rubbish/cannot play. I like the way he goes about his stuff, but we have too many of his type at the club. Too small to play KP, too big or unsuited for midfield.

yipper
SS Life Member

There is no doubt that the club rates both Geary and Allen very highly - and we will see them I'm sure in the NAB cup matches. Also I reckon it's time young Armitage put his hand up cos I think he can play. But don't forget we also have Van Rheenan on our list (rookie) who could be a star in the making. He is a very big kid, who was impressive at times last year when playing ruck in the VFL. If he steps up - I'm bettin he'll get elevated sooner rather than later over the next 12 months.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
supersaints
Club Player

Otiman wrote:We have had an unimpressive tail for years, it's just now that it's exposed.

Development of players like our current draftees, as well as guys like Allen, Geary, Eddy and Armitage who have all shown they have what it takes to be at least Montagna level.
IMO we have had our tail exposed over the past four years due to injuries. The teams that have dominated have simply had the least injuries...ie: We never get to see their bottom several players.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
savatage
SS Life Member

Otiman wrote:
Barney2 wrote:Ferg cannot play becaue of long term injury
Could you elaborate? I would have thought he'd be one of the first to go if we didn't see him as being a good player for our future. Sure, he's injury prone, but if we go to the lengths of paying McQualter's contract out, surely we could get rid of Ferguson if he's rubbish/cannot play. I like the way he goes about his stuff, but we have too many of his type at the club. Too small to play KP, too big or unsuited for midfield.
He was talking about Fergus Watts mate.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:He was talking about Fergus Watts mate.
That's what happens when you start posting after midnight ;)

As i've said in other threads, I always forget about Watts, and could never figure out who our #5 was.

savatage
SS Life Member

Otiman wrote:
savatage wrote:He was talking about Fergus Watts mate.
That's what happens when you start posting after midnight ;)

As i've said in other threads, I always forget about Watts, and could never figure out who our #5 was.
That's not your fault, I didn't even see the one & only game he played for us - so I haven't seen the #5 running around for a lonnnnggg time.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Its the players like Armitage and Geary who have to step up and put pressure on the likes of Birss, Raph and Blake, for their spots.

If there is more pressure from the younger kids, on spots in the team, we will be much better off.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I think it's easy to get panicky about our younger group because we were spoilt rotten from 2000 to 2002, and we've produced so little since.

Of the current young crop, I'm confident that Allen will make the grade as a key position player. That'll be at least 15 months away, as he missed so much football this year.

Armitage showed great form during the pre-season games last year and then he faded at Casey, spending a lot of time on the pine. His fitness should be far superior after this pre-season.

Geary has a lot of fans, and one of them is obviously the coach, who has promoted him to the main list. I'm guessing that Lyon intends for Geary to play a reasonable amount of senior football this year, effectively as a replacement for Attard.

Howard is the real mystery guy, who many on this forum have written off completely. In relation to Howard, I'm just going to keep in mind the development of Steven Baker, who showed nothing in his first two seasons at the club. He may yet surpirise the knockers.

Van Rheenen was contacted by a few clubs who showed interest in him this year, but the club has convinced him to stay on the rookie list, and Ross Lyon definitely has him in his long-term plans. I feel confident about this guy

If two of those five guys make it as regulars, then we're still doing okay. If all of them do, then I'll be whooping for joy

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

I dont have any real concerns about Howard yet.

He was always going to take 2 to 3 years to really stake a claim for a spot.

Project player who played alot of football for Casey (in both the ressies and seniors) and effectively got a 'bonus' taste of senior afl footy in the debacle game against Hawthorn.

Im in no doubt that he didnt expect to play senior footy at all in 2007, and neither did the coaching staff.

If he can play most of the season for the Casey seniors, get in the bests a few times and really keep improving, then he'l be in a much stronger position for the 2009 season - which is when i believe the coaching staff will be looking for him to make an impact.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:

Why would steven be in the top 10-15 next year?

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
SaintBot wrote:

Why would steven be in the top 10-15 next year?
if he had of decided not to nominate for this years draft and instead nominate with his age group next year he could have quite possibly have gone in the first round