Training Reports...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Training Reports...

What has happened to the Training Reports this year? We had 6 or 7 by this time last year. What is going on? Is it lack of interest by our posters? I cant get to training, not from Wodonga. I rely on these reports as do many other people.

lovin_dal_santo
SS Hall of Fame

there has only been one open session so far this preseason, no chance for posters to observe!

Robert Harvey
What else do we need?
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

The majority of people who did them last year have been busy with exams anyway, don't worry it will change soon, I will be trying to get to a few, it would be good if we could arrange everyone who is going to go and try and split the players up so that we can feedback on every player.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

as embarrasing as it is making notes at the ground ill be happy to jot a few things down concerning players

as for drills...i think its probably best if i dont post those again

anyone know the deal on photos?

i thought cameras were banned but peanut seemed to get a few good shots last week

id like to get a few shots of our new players

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:as embarrasing as it is making notes at the ground ill be happy to jot a few things down concerning players

i thought cameras were banned but peanut seemed to get a few good shots last week

Lol, yeah if I make it down I think I will be taking notes aswell, we're footy nerds but pretty much everyone there (except the players) will be so it should be ok...

As for the cameras it's ok as long as you don't get caught, I'll certainly be taking a camera....

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
super dooper
Club Player

when and where is the next open session, im on holidays and busting to go down for a session

thanks in advance

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

super dooper wrote:when and where is the next open session, im on holidays and busting to go down for a session

thanks in advance
tomorrow, 9am, moorabbin

super dooper
Club Player

SaintBot wrote:
super dooper wrote:when and where is the next open session, im on holidays and busting to go down for a session

thanks in advance
tomorrow, 9am, moorabbin
sounds great but how long is the session expected to go for, coz i am a fair drive away from moorabin, a good hour in no traffic, let alone in peak hour traffic in the morning.

might be worth coming in a bit later, if possible

if not i know i can always get a good wrap on here so wont be the end of the world

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

super dooper wrote:
SaintBot wrote:

thanks in advance
tomorrow, 9am, moorabbin
sounds great but how long is the session expected to go for, coz i am a fair drive away from moorabin, a good hour in no traffic, let alone in peak hour traffic in the morning.

might be worth coming in a bit later, if possible

if not i know i can always get a good wrap on here so wont be the end of the world
from memory last year they ran anywhere between 1hr 30mins to just under three hours

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Always grateful for the reports. Don't expect anything too comprehensive yet always pleasantly surpried. This is except when LukeL26 does a report. Then I accept nothing less than 8 pages :roll: :wink: !!

The Peanut
Club Player

SaintBot wrote:as embarrasing as it is making notes at the ground ill be happy to jot a few things down concerning players

Looking forward to your training report tomorrow 'Saintbot' and all of the others. Your drill graphs in the past were so good they rocked the supporters and the club. :wink:

There is clear signs around the place saying that photographs are banned but as I am a paid up member and the press are there snapping images so I feel no guilt or embarrassment. Of course, if we do snap an image that may compromise the AFL, a player, the team, a sponsor or the club we shouldn’t publish it anywhere.

I think that that the warning signs are probably displayed to give the club full rights in any case inappropriate pics - i.e. closed sessions etc - but I am not certain about this.

EDIT: I guess this sounds like I am sticking it up the club but I would stop taking pics if the club told explicitly and they know my email address.
Last edited by The Peanut on Fri 30 Nov 2007 1:07pm, edited 4 times in total.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

My sentiments exactly Peanut, if it comes down to it I am more than happy to throw a jumper over the sign to get over the unbelievable guilt that would surely follow after taking a few harmless pictures of players from a team that I pay to support...

Go Sretnias Go
Club Player

Good morning Armoo, SaintBot, Peanut and others, what a superb morning to be watching our boys train at full tilt - ie we are relying upon you guys to give us a report, pleeeeeeeeese :) :) :) :)

Can you report on Bally, M. Gardiner, Goose and any others coming back from injuries. I would also be very interested to know how our draftees are going as well - I'm not asking too much, am I?

Once a Sainter always a Sainter.
St Mick
Club Player

How did BJ and Lenny train?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

St Mick wrote:How did BJ and Lenny train?
I didn't stay till the end, but from what I saw

BJ and Ball were running quite strongly without really pushing it.
Ball did quite a lot of running together with King (who looks very fit)

M. Gardiner seemed to be training strongly but went into the rooms early.
(Maybe went for a massage?)

2 new boys Jack Steven and Eljay were running laps with G-Train - Eljay looks like a 15 year old! - but he seemed to have plenty of stamina. They continues to run laps after G-Train joined up with another group of players.

G-Train looks like he never left - appears very fit.

LVR is absolutely huge (in height) and seems to be starting to put on some 'bulk' in the arms and legs. At one stage he and King were standing side by side and he appeared taller than King!

Dal must have cut himself on the face because he was wearing a huge white bandage around his head.

X and Harves just did laps

Goose was on crutches and had a 'moonboot' on. Also another player was on crutches and also wearing a 'moonboot' (I don't know whohe was but he was very tall)

Peanut took some pictures and hopefully if they come out allright he will post them on WOM and here.

I didn't see Roo at all (I didn't get there until about 09:25) and Kosi didn't appear to train.

Lenny trained strongly

Lots of running, tackling drills, and teamwork drills were the order of the day.

Raph and Max seemed to spend a lot of time stretching their hamstrings.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Goose was on crutches and had a 'moonboot' on. Also another player was on crutches and also wearing a 'moonboot' (I don't know whohe was but he was very tall)
McEvoy?

savatage
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:Goose was on crutches and had a 'moonboot' on. Also another player was on crutches and also wearing a 'moonboot' (I don't know whohe was but he was very tall)
Jarryd Allen I'd say.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Goose was on crutches and had a 'moonboot' on. Also another player was on crutches and also wearing a 'moonboot' (I don't know whohe was but he was very tall)
Jarryd Allen I'd say.
what injury is it sav?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

I arrived at around 9:30...as i rode through john beveridge was there so we had a quick little chat. He is one of the most delightful people you would ever talk to so I encourage any of you, if you see him around the place to say gday.

Not a big report from me today...I started my preseason training with a nice ride. Pretty hot day so I was tired myself, nothing compared to our players though!

My Notes:

- Goddard...good to see him out there and running. Looks a little unnatural (pehaps limping slightly) but its a start.

- Ball looks in superb shape as does King. They both kept themselves busy by running and doing some sort of calf strength/stretch (where there is something like an elastic/rope which is around their foot and the other end around their head. They then straighten their leg and just lie there for a few minutes...bad example below) along with a lot of other players

- Harvey and Hudghton ran a few laps seperatly before disapearing. Neither of them look completely happy, in particular Harvs (Probably just tired from running hard)

- Gehrig looks terrific. Better shape than this time last year. Boys all seem to be happy to see him back, in particular Milney

- Maguire came out for a while and watched...clearly frustrated about having a huge cast/boot thing on his foot

- Another young player came out with an identical cast on his foot, he also had crutches. Might have been Khan Haretuku

- Our "second tier/up and coming" ruckmen are looking terrific! Luke Van Rheenen looks huge and is often leading the group of players he is around. Rix, like last year, looks massive. Arms are the biggest in the club.

- Plenty of staff on the field...one guy in particular lead most the drills with the main group (consisting of around 14-25 players). David Misson pehaps?

- I was impressed with Stephen Silvangi's increased involvement after being the "quieter" coach last year. He tried to run the laps at the end with the main group finishing a good 50+ metres behind the last runners

- One drill was a mini game of training tops vs yellow tops. White's got fed the ball around the half back flank and had to move fluently and quickly up the ground and kick a goal (between the two goal posts...behind posts still missing)

- Dal Santo absouletly dominated this, getting about one in every three possesions

- Dempster also impressed in the game. Armitage showed that he has excellent speed...one to watch this year imo.

- The intensity was good but some ball skills were a little rusty

- Ross often interupted them in the middle of a "game" and they would all have to run in, he would talk to them and they would go and start again. One time he got them all to go down and do around twenty pushups

- They then started some serious endurance work which consisted of a quick lap and a bit with a two minute break before all the players partnered up and did tackling practise then off on another run, a few minutes break and then a high intensity drill with their partners again using tackle bags

- In the running I was shocked to see how much quicker and enduranced Robert Eddy was than the rest of the players, he won every run.

- Behind Eddy roughly was Jarryn Geary, Charlie Gardiner, David Armitage, Michael Rix, Nick Dal Santo, Lenny Hayes, Brad Howard, Leigh Montagna, Stephen Milne, Aaron Fiora, Clinton Jones and some others in the middle that I can't remember

- In the tackling Dal Santo partnered with Jones, Fiora with Howard, Eddy with Geary, Rix with Milne, Hayes with Armitage, Montagna might have been with Gardiner

- Very impressed with Dal Santo's tackling, Eddy and Geary's spring in a drill which was clearly draining the group of energy, Rix's effort (despite often landing in the back of the bag, much to the amusement of John Barker), Hayes' terrific tackling and leadership (worked well with Armitage), Armitage's young leadership

- Not impressed with Jones. Really struggled with the running and even more so with the tackling drills. Nearly every time he would get up from a tackle really slowly and then run the wrong way (Dal Santo did well to lead by example and continued having to tell him what he was doing). Coaching staff kept yelling at Jones to get himself together in the tackling and to work harder in the running. Didnt do himself any favours today

- Charlie Gardiner I was quite surprised to see him at the front of the running drills...good endevour

- The boys then did one on one wrestling. Most duels were pretty even...best one was Montagna Vs Milne...looked like it couldve got rather serious at one stage...coaching staff gave them a round of applause afterwards

- The boys then did warm downs and I left as they started stretching

- Players were coming in and out of the race the whole time...some coming on to do some skills with Danny Sexton. He is earning his pay...going around to every young player and asking them how they were going and having skills sessions and chats

- Others just did laps by themselves or stretches

- Big Fraser did not stop running the entire time

- Eljay Connors and Jack Steven did laps together...Steven is fairly well built in the legs...Connors is tiny - Neither really gave each other and inch while running

- Very worthwhile morning imo...pretty good turn out from the supporters

Best Players: Dal Santo, Eddy, Armitage, Hayes, C.Gardiner, F.Gehrig

Solar
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:I arrived at around 9:30...as i rode through john beveridge was there so we had a quick little chat. He is one of the most delightful people you would ever talk to so I encourage any of you, if you see him around the place to say gday.

Not a big report from me today...I started my preseason training with a nice ride. Pretty hot day so I was tired myself, nothing compared to our players though!

My Notes:

- Goddard...good to see him out there and running. Looks a little unnatural (pehaps limping slightly) but its a start.

- Ball looks in superb shape as does King. They both kept themselves busy by running and doing some sort of calf strength/stretch (where there is something like an elastic/rope which is around their foot and the other end around their head. They then straighten their leg and just lie there for a few minutes...bad example below) along with a lot of other players

- Harvey and Hudghton ran a few laps seperatly before disapearing. Neither of them look completely happy, in particular Harvs (Probably just tired from running hard)

- Gehrig looks terrific. Better shape than this time last year. Boys all seem to be happy to see him back, in particular Milney

- Maguire came out for a while and watched...clearly frustrated about having a huge cast/boot thing on his foot

- Another young player came out with an identical cast on his foot, he also had crutches. Might have been Khan Haretuku

- Our "second tier/up and coming" ruckmen are looking terrific! Luke Van Rheenen looks huge and is often leading the group of players he is around. Rix, like last year, looks massive. Arms are the biggest in the club.

- Plenty of staff on the field...one guy in particular lead most the drills with the main group (consisting of around 14-25 players). David Misson pehaps?

- I was impressed with Stephen Silvangi's increased involvement after being the "quieter" coach last year. He tried to run the laps at the end with the main group finishing a good 50+ metres behind the last runners

- One drill was a mini game of training tops vs yellow tops. White's got fed the ball around the half back flank and had to move fluently and quickly up the ground and kick a goal (between the two goal posts...behind posts still missing)

- Dal Santo absouletly dominated this, getting about one in every three possesions

- Dempster also impressed in the game. Armitage showed that he has excellent speed...one to watch this year imo.

- The intensity was good but some ball skills were a little rusty

- Ross often interupted them in the middle of a "game" and they would all have to run in, he would talk to them and they would go and start again. One time he got them all to go down and do around twenty pushups

- They then started some serious endurance work which consisted of a quick lap and a bit with a two minute break before all the players partnered up and did tackling practise then off on another run, a few minutes break and then a high intensity drill with their partners again using tackle bags

- In the running I was shocked to see how much quicker and enduranced Robert Eddy was than the rest of the players, he won every run.

- Behind Eddy roughly was Jarryn Geary, Charlie Gardiner, David Armitage, Michael Rix, Nick Dal Santo, Lenny Hayes, Brad Howard, Leigh Montagna, Stephen Milne, Aaron Fiora, Clinton Jones and some others in the middle that I can't remember

- In the tackling Dal Santo partnered with Jones, Fiora with Howard, Eddy with Geary, Rix with Milne, Hayes with Armitage, Montagna might have been with Gardiner

- Very impressed with Dal Santo's tackling, Eddy and Geary's spring in a drill which was clearly draining the group of energy, Rix's effort (despite often landing in the back of the bag, much to the amusement of John Barker), Hayes' terrific tackling and leadership (worked well with Armitage), Armitage's young leadership

- Not impressed with Jones. Really struggled with the running and even more so with the tackling drills. Nearly every time he would get up from a tackle really slowly and then run the wrong way (Dal Santo did well to lead by example and continued having to tell him what he was doing). Coaching staff kept yelling at Jones to get himself together in the tackling and to work harder in the running. Didnt do himself any favours today

- Charlie Gardiner I was quite surprised to see him at the front of the running drills...good endevour

- The boys then did one on one wrestling. Most duels were pretty even...best one was Montagna Vs Milne...looked like it couldve got rather serious at one stage...coaching staff gave them a round of applause afterwards

- The boys then did warm downs and I left as they started stretching

- Players were coming in and out of the race the whole time...some coming on to do some skills with Danny Sexton. He is earning his pay...going around to every young player and asking them how they were going and having skills sessions and chats

- Others just did laps by themselves or stretches

- Big Fraser did not stop running the entire time

- Eljay Connors and Jack Steven did laps together...Steven is fairly well built in the legs...Connors is tiny - Neither really gave each other and inch while running

- Very worthwhile morning imo...pretty good turn out from the supporters

Best Players: Dal Santo, Eddy, Armitage, Hayes, C.Gardiner, F.Gehrig
awesome report.

What are conners and stevens skills like (in the match drill)?

Fantastic to hear ball going great, was getting a little annoyed that Judd was up and running, but if ball can keep pushing his fitness up we will be very well served.

Very suprised about jones, thought that his training and hard work was one of his strengths.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Quite happy if they're being overly cautious with Ball. Wouldn't be surprised if Judd has a setback if he continues to push himself. Let's face it, with no disrespect to Ball, we're in a better position to cover him rd. 1 than Carlton are to be able to cover Judd. Reckon they've got their whole season riding on his back.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

how was mcevoy ?

with CJ one bad training run doesnt mean anything he may be ill and not feeling 100%

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

From what Ive heard about Charlie Gardener he has outstanding endurance and can play through the midfield. He may turn out to be a very handy pick up playing half foward taking a spell in the middle and pinch hit at FF. Its good to see he was up leading the runs.

That stretch youve shown is for hammys and lower backs. Great report by the way.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:What are conners and stevens skills like (in the match drill)?
didnt see them touch the footy...they only did laps and stretching
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:how was mcevoy ?

with CJ one bad training run doesnt mean anything he may be ill and not feeling 100%
i dont think i saw mcevoy...he may have come out and had a kick with sexton but im pretty sure that was one of the permisson to train boys

With CJ, pehaps he is ill...didnt look it

Just looks, no disrespect intended, a little low on the brain side of things

hopefully for his sake it he was just having an off day

The Peanut
Club Player

Great reports peoples –
I was last to training and last to leave – I met young Glenn Chivers waiting for his parents to pick him up as I was leaving and had a quick chat. He sees himself as a rebounding defender and aspires to having a go as a midfielder – he believes that he has the potential and that he is pretty quick and has the capacity to get quicker. He said that he is still growing and believes that he will probably add another ‘inch or two’. I have a few more images to organise – but as I got there late I missed few.
Glenn Chivers - Oakleigh Chargers (permission to train)