My 22 - the armchair coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

luckysaint
Club Player

Re: My 22 - the armchair coach

SteveStevens66 wrote:luckysaint wrote:

"they aren't deutch"

They aren't even Deutsch
damn, i wish i had stuck with german

stkfc1
Club Player

Good to see Fiora in everyone's team. This time last year most wanted him dropped... :roll: What a difference a year (with some confidence) can make.
Hope X,Raph, CJ, and a few others take note!

awesome_days
Club Player

B RClarke Hughton SFisher
HB Gilbert Maguire Goddard
C Fiora Montagna Gram
HF Schneider Reiwoldt Dal Santo
F Koschitzke Gherig Milne
Foll King Hayes Ball

Int Harvey XClarke Baker Armitage

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

B: L. Fisher, Hudghton, Baker
HB: S. Fisher, Maguire, X. Clarke
C: Gram, Dal Santo, Goddard
HF: Gilbert, Koschitzke, Reiwoldt
F: Ball, Gehrig, Milne

Foll: King, Hayes, Montagna

Int: Harvey, Fiora, M. Gardiner, Schneider

floodbuster kosi to chf to break open packs and take some of those towering contested marks. interchangeable with fraser if either can't get into the game.

roo, freed of the burden of being the sole focal point of every forward move, to dominate in his new role ... given a licence to roam the forward 50 at his own discretion.

gram and bj, two of the best kicks at the club, to continually launch it goalwards from the wings.

dal, our most creative player, in the guts

ball, harvey, fiora, montagna and schneider all to get a shot in fp as part of midfield rotation.

unlucky: blake, r. clarke, armitage ... but things can change pretty quickly and will as soon as there are injuries

fisher_fan
Club Player

B) - S Fisher Hudghton L Fisher

HB) - Gilbert Maguire Gram

C) - Montagna Ball Goddard

HF) - Fiora Riewoldt Schneider

FF) - Milne Kosi Gehrig

R) - King Hayes Dal Santo

Inter) M Gardiner, R Clarke*, Harvey, X Clarke

*switch with baker for best 22

such is life
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:congo...not the best team iv seen

FB: S.Fisher - M.Hudghton - S.Baker
HB: J.Gram - M.Maguire - S.Gilbert
C: X.Clarke - L.Hayes - L.Montagna
HF: R.Harvey - N.Riewoldt - A.Schneider
FF: F.Gehrig - J.Koschitzke - S.Milne
R: S.King - N.Dal Santo - L.Ball
I/C: A.Fiora - B.Goddard - S.Birss - M.Gardiner

Next in line: D.Armitage - R.Clarke - L.Fisher - S.Dempster - J.Attard - C.Gardiner

edit: sorry for the similarities to msg's team. i hadnt seen his when i was doing mine.
Spot on.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
battye
Saintsational Legend

Little Dozer wrote:
Saints43 wrote:
congorozides wrote:Cant tie Goodes shoe laces.
Would probably get paid about 25% of Goodes wages.

Under a salary cap it's all about players being good value for money. I reckon Blake is.

You're right: Blake should not be compared to Goodes.

Blake has played over 100 AFL games - selected by Watson, Blight, GT & Lyon.
He cost us the game against Collingwood. Why on earth would he take on Dale Thomas? That tackle spurred the filth on and we lost. Unforgivable...
Yeah, and Riewoldt kicked a point (against WB?) when a goal would have won it. How quickly we forget.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:
Little Dozer wrote:
Saints43 wrote:

Under a salary cap it's all about players being good value for money. I reckon Blake is.

He cost us the game against Collingwood. Why on earth would he take on Dale Thomas? That tackle spurred the filth on and we lost. Unforgivable...
Yeah, and Riewoldt kicked a point (against WB?) when a goal would have won it. How quickly we forget.
totally irrelevant

Riewoldt's mark was never there...he opened a chance with his courage.

Then his kick was exactly what we should expect of him...to the top of the square so best case scenario: strong grab from Koschitzke/Gehrig or specky over the pack from any number of players. Likely case: Kick spoiled and rushed through for an equaling behind. Worst case: Bulldog player marks and has a high pressure kick from the goal line, opens up another chance.

Blake's man: Thomas single handedly killed us and got the Magpies back into a game that we shouldve easily won. Yes a lot can be blamed on Lyon's poor tactical command but to allow your opponent (especially when you consider yourself a tagger) to almost single handedly win a game is pathetic.

top ten best and fairest...just wrecks the honour of the award

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:
Little Dozer wrote:
Saints43 wrote:

he didnt cost us that game the fact we got the favour of the umps in the first half gave us the lead when we didnt deserve it and then when the umps started to not favour us we started to stumble . there were many turning points in that game that cost us the 4 points not just one player in one play

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
battye
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
battye wrote:
Little Dozer wrote:
Saints43 wrote:

he didnt cost us that game the fact we got the favour of the umps in the first half gave us the lead when we didnt deserve it and then when the umps started to not favour us we started to stumble . there were many turning points in that game that cost us the 4 points not just one player in one play
I agree, I never said he cost us the game. The same way it is unfair to blame Blake for the loss against Collingwood - there are many points in the game that cost us.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:top ten best and fairest...just wrecks the honour of the award
Fair dinkum, get a grip. Robert Havey's 4 B&F wins are meaningless because the coaching staff gave enough votes for Jason Blake to finish in the top 10.

This, about a bloke whos been continually selected by what, 4 successive coaches, to play a number of totally different but specific roles - and the coaches think hes done a pretty decent job!

Armchair critic of the highest order :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Live a little, ffs.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:
Fair dinkum, get a grip. Robert Havey's 4 B&F wins are meaningless because the coaching staff gave enough votes for Jason Blake to finish in the top 10.

This, about a bloke whos been continually selected by what, 4 successive coaches, to play a number of totally different but specific roles - and the coaches think hes done a pretty decent job!

Live a little, ffs.
ok pehaps it doesnt take the honour off the top few players...

but think about it, the guy who came tenth, baker it might have been...whats he got the honour of, finishing a place lower than a guy who has honestly done what for the team?

what happens to the hard workers such as koschitzke and ball? they put their body on the line every week they can and they dont even get a mention in the top ten...yet blake?

a guy of his size and endurance should be able to do great things. yet all he can manage is a tall sh!tty tagger.

yeh yeh...hes got some courage to take a good mark every now and then. too often he only goes for the marks he can take
i remember back a few years when we were playing port at aami...blake's man was taking a shot at goal from 45+m out and little mcqualter was in the square against josh mahoney. mcqualter was screaming at blake (who was standing next to nobody about 10m away) to come back to the square but good old blake just stands by himself with his hands in the air and watches as the ball falls short straight into the hands of mahoney.

just one example of a lazy/dumb footballer and if he is considered in our top 10 players for 2007 then no wonder we finished out of the finals

also why is it that everytime blakes name is mentioned everyone gets so defensive and protective..."oh but he tries"...meh, wheres that gonna take you these days

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

SaintBot wrote:
n1ck wrote:

Live a little, ffs.

but think about it, the guy who came tenth, baker it might have been...whats he got the honour of, finishing a place lower than a guy who has honestly done what for the team?
in 2007:

Played key back.
Played loose back.
Played on the wing.
Played in the ruck.
Played in the midfield.
Pushed forward and kicked a few goals.

I've said it before, and if he isn't displaced in '08 I'm sure I'll say it again. I expected Jason Blake to dissapear under Ross Lyon. I would bet that Ross Lyon expected Jason Blake to dissapear under Ross Lyon. By round 22, Ross Lyon wouldn't go to the supermarket to buy lettuce without Blake there to lay the shepherd. What Blake provides is options, and a tactical coach like Lyon's going to love that.

His decision making with the ball is bad. Flat out bad. Entirely too likely to try and kick to a man standing still. His brain when covering is pretty good, and he can smother guys much faster than he is. He remains an option at a lot of positions because his vertical leap is plain freaky.

Looking at the list, I once again expect Blake to recede into the fringe in '08 - however I won't be surprised if he manages to find his way onto the team, and never quite get dropped.

Obviously the clangers hurt, but if young kids wanted a player to emulate, they could do a lot worse than Jason Blake.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Saints94
SS Life Member

FB: S.Fisher M.Hudgston L.Fisher

CHB: J.Gram M.Maguire S.Dempster

C: L.Montagna L.Hayes L.Ball

CHF: A.Schnieder N.Riewoldt B.Goddard

FF: J.Kozchitzke F.Gehrig S.Milne

FOLL: S.King R.Harvey N.Dal Santo

INT: S.Baker S.Gilbert X.Clarke M.Gardiner

EMG: J.Blake B.Mcevoy D.Armitage

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

B: S Gilbert - M Hudghton - R Clarke
HB B Goddard - M Maguire - S Fisher
C: J Gram - L Hayes - L Montagna
HF: J Koschitzke - N Riewoldt - A Schneider
FF: S Milne - F Gehrig - X Clarke
Foll: S King, L Ball, N Dal Santo

I: R Harvey, A Fiora, L Fisher, S Dempster
Emg. J Blake, S Birss, M Gardiner

*Baker will come in when available, who he'll replace will depend on form.
** IMO Gardiner will be required to run out a few matches in the V before getting an AFL spot... barring injury.
***Gram on the wing: I want to see it, and the numbers make a case, but it's probably more likely we'd see Raph on the bench, Fiora on the wing, S Fisher on the alst line with Gram in his rebounding HB position.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:He remains an option at a lot of positions because his vertical leap is plain freaky.
this is why i like blake as second ruck. it's his best position and he played many good games there when we were dominating in 2004-2005. he can virtually play as an extra mid and the entire onball division tends to function better with blake in the mix.

plus i think it is vital to our chances in '08 that kosi is released from rucking duties and is allowed to play as a permanent forward.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 03 Dec 2007 11:09am, edited 1 time in total.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I like BAM's team, with a couple of adjustments.
B: S Gilbert - M Hudghton - R Clarke
HB B Goddard - M Maguire - S Fisher
C: J Gram - L Hayes - L Montagna
HF: J Koschitzke - N Riewoldt - A Schneider
FF: S Milne - F Gehrig - X Clarke
Foll: S King, L Ball, N Dal Santo

I: R Harvey, A Fiora, M.Gardiner, J. Geary.
Emg. J Blake, D.Armitage, Allen.

Fresh Prince

not to sure why everyone has gehrig, kosi and roo in the same forward line. it didnt work once last year why would it work next year? When the ball hits the ground there i no forward pressure. Most games this year are midfield got the balll into our forward line enough but we just couldnt convert. And there is no way kosi and goose can be on the same line, it would be too slow.

Dempster- Hudgton- Fisher

Gilbert- Maguire- baker

joey- Hayes- Gram

Goddard- Roo- dal

Milne- Kosi- sneider

King- Ball- Armitage (hoping for big things)

Fiora- x- harvey- Gehrig

Next in line: Allen, M Gardiner,Blake, birss, R clarke

I also like Ghost like having Roo on a wing. That could work with kosi AT CHF and the G TRain at FF

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Fresh Prince wrote:I also like Ghost like having Roo on a wing. That could work with kosi AT CHF and the G TRain at FF
that could work. he has the endurance to dominate games from virtually any position. why not just give him a roving commission and tell him to play where ever he thinks will best suit the team.

he's good enough and smart enough to play that role and make it work.

i'm a fan of having kosi as a full time forward as i believe that what our forward line has really missed is a guy who can take contested pack marks.

it is why flooding doesn't always work against brisbane ... they have jonathon brown.

Barney2
Club Player

baker Hughton S Fisher

Dempster(Premiership Player and agile) Goose Gram

Fiora Del santo Gilbert

Harvey Roo Montagna

Schneider Fraser Kosy

Followers
King Hayes Ball

I/c Milne Goddard, X, L Fisher

Emergencies
M Gardiner Blake R Clarke

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Am I the only person to think that Maguire is not a walk up start into our starting 18?

Even taking into account his injuries, I found him disappointing last year. I have him on the bench and Sam Fisher at CHB instead.

Max, Gilbert, Goddard, Gram , S.Fisher and Baker/ Dempster/L.Fisher as the starting back 6 for mine. Faster and more skilled defence.

Nee!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:Am I the only person to think that Maguire is not a walk up start into our starting 18?

Even taking into account his injuries, I found him disappointing last year. I have him on the bench and Sam Fisher at CHB instead.

Max, Gilbert, Goddard, Gram , S.Fisher and Baker/ Dempster/L.Fisher as the starting back 6 for mine. Faster and more skilled defence.
How can you take anything from Gooses season last year? He was lucky to play as many games as he did after such a horrific injury. Goose at CHB is all the more valuable as it allows S Fisher to play that third floating tall role, we really missed his run when he was forced to play a key position while Goose and Max were out.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:How can you take anything from Gooses season last year? He was lucky to play as many games as he did after such a horrific injury. Goose at CHB is all the more valuable as it allows S Fisher to play that third floating tall role, we really missed his run when he was forced to play a key position while Goose and Max were out.
agree. a fully fit goose is key to our chances this season.

watching a few of the 2004 streak videos the other night i couldn't help noticing just how much influence he had on some of those games and how infectious his confidence was on his teammates.

if goose is playing to his best he is a walk up start imo.

worth remembering that after his return last season in rd 12 (admittedly below his best) we lost only a few games.

before that we were 4 and 7.

vital to our structure
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 05 Dec 2007 2:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

ben_fff
Club Player

My best 22

B: S.Gilbert // M.Hudghton // S.Baker
HB: J.Gram // M.Maguire // S.Fisher
C: L.Montagna // L.Ball // X.Clarke
HF: A.Schneider // N.Riewoldt // B.Goddard
FF: J.Koschitzke // F.Gehrig // S.Milne
R: S.King // L.Hayes // N.Dal Santo

I/C: R.Harvey // J.Blake-S.Birss // Geary-Armitage // Gardiner-Rix-McEvoy

Ideally when Goddard is fit I'd rotate him through the centre resting Ball up forward and Dal on the half forward (Dal can be one of the most lethal half forwards, we need more midfielders to step up so he can get more time there)

awesome_days
Club Player

My grand final team of 22 for next year is:

B: R Clarke Hughton Dempster
HB: Geary Maguire S Fisher
C: Gram Montagna Gilbert
HF: Goddard Reiwoldt Dal Santo
F: Schneider Gherig Koschitzke
Foll: King Hayes Ball
Int: X Clarke Harvey Armitage McEvoy

Backs: R Clarke will have a breakthrough season, he has talent and the right attributes. Dempster has been piegon-holed as a defensive player but his agility and size will make him a good rebounding back. Geary was getting good at the end of last year, if he is there for the finals it means he is playing better than LFisher, Baker or Blake

Mids: Inserting Gram, X & Gilbert into the mids gives a larger rotation group and allows Goddard and Dal to spend more time at HF. Armitage's inclusion means he has made the step up and is more servicable than Baker, Birss. McEvoy & Kosi will share 2nd ruck duties.

Forwards: Goddard & Dal to provide precision passing to the 3 big forwards. McEvoy & Kosi are 2nd ruck/followers/3rd tall forward. McEvoy will only ever have to play on 3rd or 4th best defender and could be a bonus goal-kicker ala Westhoff for Port.