GT. Bring him back.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Fireman....if you want to bring back some coaches....what about Alves...what about Jeans?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Fireman....if you want to bring back some coaches....what about Alves...what about Jeans?
To coach??? I certainly didn't say that.

Kiedis
Club Player

I remember there was a time where an Essendon mate of mine posted on here, and questioned something Thomas did, not even a real critisism, just questioned it. Everyone was so defensive of GT that they ripped into my mate telling him to get f***ed and that he's twice the coach sheedy was etc. etc. goes to show how some people change so quickly

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:cheers to the great man Firey....cheers mate....you know the caper...and cheers to that great player manager GT.....cheers mate hope the court case goes well....and cheers to the off season....heres cheers to that and its silly threads....and cheers to St.Kunny....ones to many and a hundereds not enough but cheers anyhow.....cheers.....cheers....cheers to you all....cheers.

Thomas has more intelligence in his little finger than the lot of you combined.

It is only the insecure and the weak minded who need to attempt to ridicule and belittle the truly great.

While you lot of nothings will ever amount to anything, Grant will be spoken of in revered tones by generations to come.

And if you think I am taking the piss. Dont.

Thomas is a towering intellectual that put every single one of you pissants in the shade.

No wonder you are all so afraid of him.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:You never worked with him Fireman.

Two people who both did (and neither of whom know each other) said that he is divisive.

Both used that word :idea:

He contributed more to St Kilda than all but a handful of people have over the past decade, and will be forever a critical part of the club's history.

But I don't believe he should be back at the club
I respect that comment.
look credit where credit is due....

GT, RB, Kellet and others working with Waldron raised our expectations and headed us in the right direction.

they hada vision that the saints could and should be better.

For that GT has my gratitude and thanks.

But after that I am afraid that he simply did not have the complete set of skills need for the role of Head Coach.....and as to people skills from having talking to a number that have worked with him and for him.....they are all scathing. Indeed not one...not one is positive.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:
joffaboy wrote:cheers to the great man Firey....cheers mate....you know the caper...and cheers to that great player manager GT.....cheers mate hope the court case goes well....and cheers to the off season....heres cheers to that and its silly threads....and cheers to St.Kunny....ones to many and a hundereds not enough but cheers anyhow.....cheers.....cheers....cheers to you all....cheers.

It is only the insecure and the weak minded who need to attempt to ridicule and belittle the truly great.

While you lot of nothings will ever amount to anything, Grant will be spoken of in revered tones by generations to come.

Thomas is a towering intellectual that put every single one of you pissants in the shade.

lololol - The only thing GT and Germaine have in common is the ability to polarise and piss people off in a big way. :D

Glad my post made such an impression n1ck :wink: :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

clubs dont progress and get successfull over sustained periods of time by bringing back people

they were let go for a reason wrong or right

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:Thomas is a towering intellectual that put every single one of you pissants in the shade. No wonder you are all so afraid of him
:lol: :lol: :lol:

he was getting us results. the players believed in him. many supporters believed in him. i believed in him.

unfortunately it's way too late to turn back the clock but i know one thing for sure ... if we are to lift the premiership cup this year GT is due no small part of the credit.

go saints

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: look credit where credit is due....

GT, RB, Kellet and others working with Waldron raised our expectations and headed us in the right direction.

they hada vision that the saints could and should be better.

For that GT has my gratitude and thanks.

But after that I am afraid that he simply did not have the complete set of skills need for the role of Head Coach.....and as to people skills from having talking to a number that have worked with him and for him.....they are all scathing. Indeed not one...not one is positive.
That mate, is the sticking point, I can't believe that you actually believe that.
Either way we have to move on, Im looking forward to 08 , I'm scared of the injuries but still looking forward to it, I started this thread simply because I was sick of seeing the mostly unwarranted crap that was being thrown at GT on a regular basis by a few.
Go Saints.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Fireman....if you want to bring back some coaches....what about Alves...what about Jeans?

If there is one ex-saint that would be productive back at the saints right now for me it would be Waldron.

Not knocking Archie,,,byt waldron as a CEO is class act....

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
n1ck wrote:

lololol - The only thing GT and Germaine have in common is the ability to polarise and piss people off in a big way. :D

Glad my post made such an impression n1ck :wink: :D
I love Germaine, what a horn bag, leave her alone Joffa , I still have one of her scorched bras :P

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
The Fireman wrote:

If there is one ex-saint that would be productive back at the saints right now for me it would be Waldron.

Not knocking Archie,,,byt waldron as a CEO is class act....
Good point, actually that would be a good thread, "who would we have back and Why?"
I don't think we should ever close the doors on any ex contributors as most of them were there for the love of the club.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
Either way we have to move on, Im looking forward to 08 , I'm scared of the injuries but still looking forward to it, I started this thread simply because I was sick of seeing the mostly unwarranted crap that was being thrown at GT on a regular basis by a few.
Go Saints.
Well I am bouyant about 2008...yes still nervous about injuries..

But we seem to have very good off-field team...and I like the mix of our playing list too.

I also think FF will add some momentum to the mix...and while there is a lot of division here on SS....at the club I think you will find it is a rock solid, committed and professional bunch.......all pulling in the same direction.

Full steam ahead I think :wink:

Though yes Misson and others have only just arrived...as has Westaway...and the fitness guys as well as FF needa little time to get their act into gear....but I am confident that they will.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The changes look good and as always " a new broom sweeps clean" I hope it works this time.
Good night mate.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:The changes look good and as always " a new broom sweeps clean" I hope it works this time.
Good night mate.
No problems...and thanks for a good friendly debate :wink:

Batnoe

St.Kenny wrote:Fireman...dont you know its unSt.Kilda to support someone who took us to two preliminary finals only to be beaten by 2 teams who romped it in on Grand Final Day.
We are scared of success and must deride anyone who nearly gets us there. Look at the character assasination on this site and look at the endless losers with thousands of posts to prove it who bag, slander, castigate and spend their lives denigrating this proven coach......and ask yourself .............is it worth it....are they worth it ???
Its easier to believe Caro and Patrick Smith (his arch enemies) and just roll over and go back to bed !!!!!!

Did he get us the flag? NO!!! which means, who cares that he got us to 2 preliminary finals. With the team that we had there was no excuses, we are the laughing stock of the AFL

Oh the saints have such a great list but their coach is crap.... i agree and so did the board, they got rid of the person that couldnt take us to the next step

Now we have rebuild slighty as the window closed at end start of 06, the window is back open in 08

Where is GT?

Not near the club, is that coincidence?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:Did he get us the flag? NO!!! which means, who cares that he got us to 2 preliminary finals. With the team that we had there was no excuses, we are the laughing stock of the AFL

imo we became a laughing stock FOR ditching GT and, ultimately, the thomas sacking cost RB his gig too.

premierships aren't easily won and you've got to weigh the chance we had in those seasons against the reality of a wretched run with injuries.

also the fact that a lot of our young guns ... roo, kosi, dal, ball, bj, goose etc ... were just boys at the time, barely out of their teens.

they simply weren't ready ... but performed admirably despite the crushing weight of expectation they must have felt.

if you look at the RB/GT era in the context of the club's largely miserable history, what they achieved was spectacular and nothing short of amazing.

but we move on. i still think we have the playing personnel there to deliver a premiership in 2008 and let's hope that RL can get them playing with the same purpose and passion that GT inspired

saintly
Saintsational Legend

doubled
Last edited by saintly on Thu 06 Dec 2007 8:27am, edited 1 time in total.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:lol Eastern was right, there are some real illogical GT haters on here.
But that's ok, I'm sure a lot of Carlton supporters hate Pagan now despite the huge showing of affection initially.
I like to look at the positives that GT brought to the club, which I have outlined and hopefully will see him back with us.
I hate being right all the time :wink: !!

saintly
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
saintsRrising wrote: PS...you might not have noticed but Fiora improved markedly once he had a coach that put faith in him.

Written and Authorised by sRr

CARE TO COMMENT ON THIS MR sRr????

3RD REQUEST..........

SO, in your "opinion" :roll: :roll: both Danny Frawley and GT never had faith in Fiora???

spoke to fiora, who said that Lyon has been his best coach, can talk to him about anything, that Thomas, had his favourites, and he was not one of them.

Fair Dinkum you do waffle on a bit but this one takes the cake????

so you are saying that....

RL in his first year as senior coach is the only coach to have faith in Fiora who started his career in 2000...

Yeah righto waffle on some more :roll:

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:clubs dont progress and get successfull over sustained periods of time by bringing back people

they were let go for a reason wrong or right

The reason was definately wrong.

Whether the ends justified the means can be debated all day long - but the reasons were wrong.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Well I am bouyant about 2008...yes still nervous about injuries..
Should we sack Lyon if we have injuries again this year?

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Love the sentiment of the OP, and hope a time comes when I think it actually practical. For the time being, GT should stay away, as he's the epitome of the previous setup, and having gone a different direction, I don't think it's constructive to have an ex-coach and manager around the club. In the future after RL is done, perhaps. I hope so.

As for the attitude towards him, while I think it naive myself, GT certainly isn't the first to find themselves unnapreciated by those they tried to lead... had wo won in '04 or '05, we'd laud his leadership and vision, credit him for innovation and not doubting himself when going against the grain. As a fallen idol, he was arrogant, overly controlling who didn't listen take expert advice.

I actually suspect the anti-GT crowd on here isn't as big as it sometimes appears - but they certainly make enough noise. Repeat something often enough, you'll start to believe it.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I thought GT had a positive influence too a point... pbly should have left a year b4 he was sacked.

I think he did a lot of good for the club in terms of restructuring, bringing in some pride, getting rid of some bad eggs.

He ultimately had some weaknesses as a coach that he couldn't/wouldn't address and this cost him his job... and rightly so. The 2 biggest of which were that he was controlling and difficult to work with.

For those reasons and ONLY those reasons, he cannot come back to the club in any official capacity in a positive way.

Some of the rationals in this thread are ridiculous...

SRS - while i agree with you overall ur point RE Hall, Everite, Black, Fiora is silly... what about

Jones
Peckett
Powell
whose careers he ressurected and even Gehrig, Guerra, Black and Ackland who played their best seasons of football under GT... Gueera and Black most notably play WEAK football ATM

Each coach has plays that develop under them and others peak and decline in performance

Brian Collis
Club Player

If St.Kilda wins a premiership in the next couple of years it will have absolutely nothing to do with Thomas and all to do with Ross Lyon. Ross is the one putting the game plan together and had to undo all the wrongdoings that Thomas introduced like a lack of ruckman and a lack of a decent conditioning staff.