who will be our best recruit for season 2008?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

esaint66
SS Life Member

who will be our best recruit for season 2008?

who do you reckon will offer us the most
gardnair?
king?
dempster?
schnieder?
:?: :?: :?:

RBnW
Club Player

For me it will be a tie between King and Schnieder, King will give us what we have not had for a long while first use...and Schnieder will give us more than 30 goals, maybe even more than that...also he puts pressure on X and Milnie to perform at a higher level....

Big gardy is a wild card, but if he gets going look out...

I still can't believe we got Sch, Demp, king n C Gardy for pick 26... :roll:

Our best is yet
to come......
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Gehrig :)

on and off field with his membership push

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
esaint66
SS Life Member

with schineider i hope it will make milney reaslise that hes not irriplasible

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Schneider.

Will kick 35 goals for the year and be a revelation with his pace and excitement.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Schneider - merely because if he plays near his best it will give the coaching staff/match committee no reason to play Milne.

Before GTrain came back i thought C.Gardiner would have a lot of oppurtunities up fwd...but now that GTrain is back i cant see that happening. Hopefully he can at least put some pressure on GTrain to perform consistently.

awesome_days
Club Player

B Goddard

RBnW
Club Player

awesome_days wrote:B Goddard
goes without saying we missed him big time last year and still won 7 & 1/2 out of the last 11....get excited....I cant wait for this year.....it is going to be awesome :D :D

Our best is yet
to come......
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Misson

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Player wise I will tie it for Schneider and King....as they are quite different and BOTH address areas of real weakness in our team....which makes their recruitment a bigger plus than if you just assess them in isolation.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Luke Ball. If he can get anywhere near fully fit he will remind a few knobjockeys on here why he is so highly rated. Watch the different dynamic in our midfield if teams have to go back to tagging him and Lenny - Dal will be like a new player without the problem of a top level tagger, an increased influence from Bally himself, and some extra rotations from Schneider and X will start to make a difference few would have believed possible last year.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Saints94
SS Life Member

Schnieder will kick around 30 - 35 goals for the year

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

RBnW wrote:Schnieder will give us more than 30 goals, maybe even more than that
Oh When The Saints wrote:Schneider.

Will kick 35 goals for the year and be a revelation with his pace and excitement.

and with zero points for original input is...
homework wrote:Schnieder will kick around 30 - 35 goals for the year

:roll:

fwiw i agree...schneider will be our most valuable recruit

king will easily take our first ruck spot by the horns...he is keen to prove all his doubters wrong

charlie gardiner i dont think is as bad as a recruit as some think...he has great talent and was kept out of a forward line already containing mooney/ablett/(hawkins)...imagine if he could become a similar sort of player to O'Keefe, with his endurance it is quite possible

and dempster, not sure what to expect to be honest...he will be handy for kickouts (something we struggled with this year)...if he can add some bulk he could quite literally take a key defender post

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Schneider easily. Not expecting anything of note from the others.

mick13
Club Player

Schneider.

Will kick around 30 - 35 goals, may kick more, and will be a revelation with his pace an excitement.

8-)

Weren't expectin that were ya?

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

mick13 wrote:Schneider.

Will kick around 30 - 35 goals, may kick more, and will be a revelation with his pace an excitement.

8-)

Weren't expectin that were ya?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

He's coming back from a knee reco. I wouldn't expect too much in the 1st 1/2 of the season, with some really good signs in the 2nd 1/2. Look at Lenny for a precedent !!

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Eastern wrote:
He's coming back from a knee reco. I wouldn't expect too much in the 1st 1/2 of the season, with some really good signs in the 2nd 1/2. Look at Lenny for a precedent !!

Good call Eastern. The most we can hope from BJ is to stay injury-free and get some games under his belt and push on towards 09'.

Hopefully Lenny will start 08' in the same kind of form that he was producing in the last 6 games of 07'. He was our best player in that period of time and showed what a gun player he is.

esaint66
SS Life Member

yeh i would have to say lenny would be one of our better players throughout the whole year especially if he gets the captaincy role if this one man captain rumour is true. but the one you should all look out for is robert harvey if this happens to be his last year i reckon he will push himself that little bit further for that flag he so richly deserves :D :D :D :D :D

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saint edward wrote:yeh i would have to say lenny would be one of our better players throughout the whole year especially if he gets the captaincy role if this one man captain rumour is true. but the one you should all look out for is robert harvey if this happens to be his last year i reckon he will push himself that little bit further for that flag he so richly deserves :D :D :D :D :D
I don't know if that is possible. One of the reasons that he is the greatest is because of his ability to push himself further/harder than any other !!

esaint66
SS Life Member

haha yeh i spose your right but then again you can expect some things like 100% effort from harvs but some things you cant expect :o

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

It really depends what you base it upon...

For 2008 I would say that King will be our best recruit because he will be the most competitive ruckman we have had for quite some time now, this will make our midfielders look better and he will also free up Kosi to go with the Full Forward role....

In the long term I am hoping McEvoy, if he could be a 250 gamer for us I would be delighted....

Over the next 3-4 years Schneider, he wont be a superstar by any means but if he can kick another 30 goals, set up about 20 he would be an absolute bargain pick up.

Gardiner and Dempster are purely for depth, Steven seems likely however you have to wonder why he wasn't picked up sooner, Connors doesn't seem likely IMO....

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:It really depends what you base it upon...

For 2008 I would say that King will be our best recruit because he will be the most competitive ruckman we have had for quite some time now, this will make our midfielders look better and he will also free up Kosi to go with the Full Forward role....

In the long term I am hoping McEvoy, if he could be a 250 gamer for us I would be delighted....

Over the next 3-4 years Schneider, he wont be a superstar by any means but if he can kick another 30 goals, set up about 20 he would be an absolute bargain pick up.

Gardiner and Dempster are purely for depth, Steven seems likely however you have to wonder why he wasn't picked up sooner, Connors doesn't seem likely IMO....
And you base Steven and Conners on how many games you saw them play?

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Armoooo wrote:It really depends what you base it upon...

And you base Steven and Conners on how many games you saw them play?
Steven about 3
Connors 1

But I also have St.Kilda's previous draft history and similar bodied players comparisons that help...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Stevens was just draft age, and would have been eligible for the draft again next year I believe.

According to one of the watchers on BF, he could have gone top 20 next year, depending on his form over the course of '08.

Either we jumped in early and got ourselves a bargain, or we picked a player at #42 who will hopefully be a solid performer for us.

He is a genuine mid with pace, and plays inside, so he isn't a passenger normally.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.