kosi or fraser. who should be full forward?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
Teflon wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Not what Ive heard - id heard Kosi was actually not exactly over the moon to be not getting a decent run at FF this year as he was looking forward to it.
I reckon he knows he will have enough work to shoulder without worrying about that.
Only what I heard...
Do you believe what you heard?
The sauce is decent....the idea not out of the question so probably not.
Still....slow news day.
the addition of king and possibly gardiner allows kosi to play the perfect swingman role with him literally able to do as he pleases...this all depends on early season form however....

if he plays well in this role he will get a tagger and act as somewhat of a floating rover both kicking goals and saving them whilst being a linkman out of defence

if he gets tagged this too can only help us as a fellow big man will be made to guard kosi whilst the opposition has either a tall down back or forward missing that it either would have

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
Teflon wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Not what Ive heard - id heard Kosi was actually not exactly over the moon to be not getting a decent run at FF this year as he was looking forward to it.
I reckon he knows he will have enough work to shoulder without worrying about that.
Only what I heard...
Do you believe what you heard?
The sauce is decent....the idea not out of the question so probably not.
Still....slow news day.
Slow news day agreed, I am just starting to get a bit nervous looking forward to the first bounce, just between you and me, I reckon we have a totally professional unit out there, a lot more professional than years gone by, I'm sure each individual is champing at the bit to play anywhere they are instructed to. We have 2 of the best mobile talls in the comp and they will both play in the forward line from time to time.
PS talking about decent sauce, have you tried that BBQ one with the honey and Soy? :wink:

Saints94
SS Life Member

Don't forget that Fraser Gehrig is

one of the most feared guys in the A.F.L

Kozi will replace Fraser Gehrig up forward

when he retires

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Not what Ive heard - id heard Kosi was actually not exactly over the moon to be not getting a decent run at FF this year as he was looking forward to it.

so was i. RL must now find a way to fit roo, kosi and fraser into the same forward line without upsetting any of the 3 divas.

it has to be done ... for the good of the team ... even if it means putting some big prima donnas' noses out of joint.

we can't afford to again have the least productive forward line in the comp for the sake of egos.

no doubt RL has a plan and i'm looking forward to seeing what it is

my personal preference is kosi ff, fraser fp, roo chf alternating with kosi. and i'd play gilbert on a flank as the perfect foil for riewoldt. tall, strong, quick, good endurance and definitely no mug when the ball hits the ground

he'd make a mess of opposition teams' fourth best tall defender.

we have a glut of good talls and making the best use of them will have a big bearing on how we go in 2008

difficult to see us not winning the premiership at this stage
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 08 Jan 2008 3:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

ok.. I know this may not be popular .. but I think 2007 was the first season where G had more bad (or ineffective) games than good ones .. so I was in the minority that actually was happy to see G retire - i thought it was the right time for him to go.

Kosi for mine is a much better competitor in the air than G, and is almost on par with G when on the lead. When Kosi has a bad game you can always throw him into to ruck .. you cant do a lot with G when he is having a bad game.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Saints94
SS Life Member

Zed wrote:ok.. I know this may not be popular .. but I think 2007 was the first season where G had more bad (or ineffective) games than good ones .. so I was in the minority that actually was happy to see G retire - i thought it was the right time for him to go.

Kosi for mine is a much better competitor in the air than G, and is almost on par with G when on the lead. When Kosi has a bad game you can always throw him into to ruck .. you cant do a lot with G when he is having a bad game.
When he is in a bad mood I'll hate to be playing on him :shock:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:I was in the minority that actually was happy to see G retire - i thought it was the right time for him to go.
I know what you're saying and i was also excited about us having a new-look forward line.

however it is now a bonus to have him back. he's too good a goal-kicker not to have on the ground and we should treat it as a bonus imo

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote: ...

:shock: :D 8-) :!:

Wow. Offseason getting to you? :)

There's a lot of ground to cover between here and the last day in September... and plenty of question marks surrounding the Saints. Even on paper, plenty of teams would be rating themselves ahead of St. Kilda right now.

Still.... from your keyboard to god's ear....

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:

There's a lot of ground to cover between here and the last day in September... and plenty of question marks surrounding the Saints. Even on paper, plenty of teams would be rating themselves ahead of St. Kilda right now.

:D nothing wrong with setting the bar high. i'd like us to go into the season believing we can win it. thinking that way didn't do geelong any harm last year

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:

:D nothing wrong with setting the bar high. i'd like us to go into the season believing we can win it
I'm right there with you in believing we can. I think it's going to be 30 minutes and 3 beers after the final siren of the next Saints grand final win before I believe we will. :P

I'm honestly not sure whether I envy your optomism, or feel for the rollercoaster anything but a dominant season will pu those kind fo expectations through. Either way, I'll shut up. No need for me to rain on your parade... the weather will come whatever I say.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Kosi should not play FF.

He can have stints there when the opposition defence would be stretched - but he is not a FF.

We should not have a permanent FF full stop.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:

:D nothing wrong with setting the bar high. i'd like us to go into the season believing we can win it. thinking that way didn't do geelong any harm last year
A bit different thinking you can win and finding it difficult to see us not winning this year.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:A bit different thinking you can win and finding it difficult to see us not winning this year.
but like i said there's nothing wrong with setting the bar high.

with what we should be able to put on the field there's every reason to expect success in 2008, wouldn't you agree?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:A bit different thinking you can win and finding it difficult to see us not winning this year.

with what we should be able to put on the field there's every reason to expect success in 2008, wouldn't you agree?
I would expect to make the 8 but couldnt see us winning after all we have won one flag in over 100 years.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

That's one of the silliest comments I've ever heard.

We won't win because we've won one flag in 100 years?

What on earth has the current playing and coaching group got to do with the previous 100 years?

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:That's one of the silliest comments I've ever heard.

We won't win because we've won one flag in 100 years?

What on earth has the current playing and coaching group got to do with the previous 100 years?
It was more to do with his comment saying it was difficult to see us not winning. Of course having one 1 flag in 100 years has nothing to do with this year but I stand by my comment that we should make the eight but I dont we can win it.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Not what Ive heard - id heard Kosi was actually not exactly over the moon to be not getting a decent run at FF this year as he was looking forward to it.
do you think that role might have been promised him during fraser's "retirement" leaving the coach in an embarrassing situation once fraser changed his mind?

hAyES
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
do you think that role might have been promised him during fraser's "retirement" leaving the coach in an embarrassing situation once fraser changed his mind?
I'm sure Kosi would understand. They're all good mates I'm sure and Kosi wouldn't mind waiting another year to play at FF. I think he'd be an absolute force at FF, but he's got plenty of years left in him. If not, Frase can play FP.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I would expect to make the 8 but couldnt see us winning.
i only hope the coach and players are setting the bar a little higher than that.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

I would expect to make the 8 but couldnt see us winning after all we have won one flag in over 100 years.
Up until last year, all we needed to win the flag was a good injury run. We were comfortably the best side in thwe comp.

After last year, things have changed. I'm not so confident now.

Even when we won, we didn't look that flash.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Next arguement, possibly a poll: Who is the better shot for goal?

F. Gehrig, N. Riewoldt, J. Koschitzke, B. Goddard
good question. perhaps someone might have stats but i suspect that fraser is still the best shot for goal.

hAyES
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
Eastern wrote:Next arguement, possibly a poll: Who is the better shot for goal?

F. Gehrig, N. Riewoldt, J. Koschitzke, B. Goddard
good question. perhaps someone might have stats but i suspect that fraser is still the best shot for goal.
That's an easy one. Fraser definately.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Dunno Carl its plausible - Lyon has been gunning for new ruckman with King and Gardiner AND leaving Rix on the list AND recruiting Mcevoy? AND still having Van Reehan......I'm tipping he doesnt see Kosi as a "ruckman" (certainly not the top echelon of ruck in the AFL the previous coaching oracle was spinning to save a red face for not having a ruckman...)and I agree and dont think he is (not that effective tap work IMO...and maybe a tad small?)

I feel a tad for Kosi, aside from injury, hes been shoved from pillar to post re position - unlike Riewoldt whose been relatively stable at CHF and allowed to grow into it (as he should be). I guess I was just looking forward this year to seeing Kos settle in the square (more than happy to have Frase back......but "good Frase" not "evil Frase" whose a liability on the field in this state), start to time his leads, work in with Riewoldt etc and "mix" our forward line up for the opposition a bit. IMO we certainly became predictable in that space over the last few seasons...(major reason why Im wrapt to also have Sneider alongside Milne......now if we can just find a goal kicking half fwd option....hello Brendon.... :wink: )..and get a midfield goal or 10....

IMO Kosi IS a natural contested marking fwd (can stint ruck and push back if needed so hes versatile) but I truly believe IF he gets a shot at settling there, working on his leading/kicking etc etc its possible he could have the effect on a game similar to that of Jonathon Browne in pack situations (we saw him absolutely dominant - more so than Riewoldt has been when hes been on song IMO - in that 4 game stint which yielded 11 Brownlow votes).....BUT he needs to do it with some consistency and for that he needs a position...not as a "bitsa" ruckman/"swingman".

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Dunno Carl its plausible - Lyon has been gunning for new ruckman with King and Gardiner AND leaving Rix on the list AND recruiting Mcevoy? AND still having Van Reehan......I'm tipping he doesnt see Kosi as a "ruckman" (certainly not the top echelon of ruck in the AFL the previous coaching oracle was spinning to save a red face for not having a ruckman...)and I agree and dont think he is (not that effective tap work IMO...and maybe a tad small?)

I feel a tad for Kosi, aside from injury, hes been shoved from pillar to post re position - unlike Riewoldt whose been relatively stable at CHF and allowed to grow into it (as he should be). I guess I was just looking forward this year to seeing Kos settle in the square (more than happy to have Frase back......but "good Frase" not "evil Frase" whose a liability on the field in this state), start to time his leads, work in with Riewoldt etc and "mix" our forward line up for the opposition a bit. IMO we certainly became predictable in that space over the last few seasons...(major reason why Im wrapt to also have Sneider alongside Milne......now if we can just find a goal kicking half fwd option....hello Brendon.... :wink: )..and get a midfield goal or 10....

IMO Kosi IS a natural contested marking fwd (can stint ruck and push back if needed so hes versatile) but I truly believe IF he gets a shot at settling there, working on his leading/kicking etc etc its possible he could have the effect on a game similar to that of Jonathon Browne in pack situations (we saw him absolutely dominant - more so than Riewoldt has been when hes been on song IMO - in that 4 game stint which yielded 11 Brownlow votes).....BUT he needs to do it with some consistency and for that he needs a position...not as a "bitsa" ruckman/"swingman".
I am not sure the FF position was offered to Kosi after G retired as the year had finished and the coach would hardly had seen the players and in any way positions arent usually promised especially to a player who loves the the ruck position. Having said that Kosi will play forward this year as a roaming forward which IMO is his best position as he hasnt got the pace to be a true FF like G.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

teflon wrote:I feel a tad for Kosi, aside from injury, hes been shoved from pillar to post re position - unlike Riewoldt whose been relatively stable at CHF and allowed to grow into it (as he should be)
i agree with you. kosi's ability to take contested marks makes him a potential match-winning key forward and very damaging against the flooding tactics that have baffled more than one coaching panel.

you make a very good point about players "growing" into their roles and i suspect kosi is the type who thrives on extra responsibility.

it is hard to see him dominating the forward line as i think he can without him first getting the "stripes". ie, kosi you are now full forward ... fraser you are now forward pocket.

might be a bit of a blow to the big G-locomotive's ego, but i'm sure the old champ is team-minded enough and big enough to rise above it and still contribute many, many goals over the next season or two ... playing a team game.

we have to look to the future ... and, after all, G did "retire".

then again, who knows what sweetheart deals were entered into to get him back playing this season. he might have been offered the world plus full-forward to get him playing again.

i can live with whatever the club decides. i'm sure kosi and G can too
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 13 Jan 2008 7:49pm, edited 1 time in total.