riewoldt tipped as sole skipper

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

riewoldt tipped as sole skipper

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 22,00.html

by JACKIE EPSTEIN
Sunday Herald Sun

St Kilda is reviewing its co-captaincy arrangements with the possibility of reverting to a stand-alone skipper.

Last season Lenny Hayes, Luke Ball and Nick Riewoldt shared the honours during coach Ross Lyon's first year.

Should there be a sole appointment it is believed Riewoldt would be favourite.

Football manager Matthew Drain said a decision would be made soon.

etc, etc.

>>>

i'm tipping roo skipper, lenny deputy and luke ball being allowed to concentrate on getting back to his best
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 28 Jan 2008 2:58am, edited 1 time in total.

esaint66
SS Life Member

i say we make roo deputy because hes only yound and just think what happened when lenny was captain in 04 wizard cup and 10 in a row :D.

asiu

lenny

let our 'franchise' player be just that

lenny , lenny, lenny

the rooster takes over after lenny.......imo thats whats best for our club

big_mac_evoy5
Club Player

rooey played his best footy when he wasn't captain. i say lenny as captain he takes the pressure best out of all three and the other two can conentrate on playing footy bally need to concentrate and get back to his 05 form rooey has played well but i think he can play better even the person i hate most said he shouldn't be captain he would better off just playing as a vice or not a captain at all that was grant thomas dam i hated him

saints for the flag armitage for rising start
savatage
SS Life Member

Hayes is the natural captain IMO

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

At this point in time Riewoldt is the best player to lead the club with Hayes his deputy. Will be a fact soon.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:At this point in time Riewoldt is the best player to lead the club with Hayes his deputy. Will be a fact soon.
He's got Carey-esq potential as a leader, IMO.

Hayes always seemed a tad reluctant.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:At this point in time Riewoldt is the best player to lead the club with Hayes his deputy. Will be a fact soon.
correct. wonder when it will be announced

claystreet
Club Player

Hayes for me
maturity leadership and guts
oh and he can play a bit :wink:

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Isn't it wonderful that we can have this discussion..and not need to give gun Interstate recruits who have been at the Club 5 minutes the captaincy :-)??

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
yipper
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:Isn't it wonderful that we can have this discussion..and not need to give gun Interstate recruits who have been at the Club 5 minutes the captaincy :-)??
Indeed.Or young draftees who haven't even played a game of league footy!!!

We have strong leadership through our list - it was one of GT's successes to fast track that potential and fill the void we so obviously had post 2001. Hamill's influence cannot be underestimated here too. Riewoldt is ready to lead this team now.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Have been advocating that the time is right for a sole captain for a while now...

Think the rotating captaincy was right at the time and leadership development but that time has passed.

Lenny for mine is the natural leader of the group.

Let Roo and Bally concentrate solely on their on field performances which will be critical to achieving the ultimate in 08..

Good news and the right move IMO 8-)

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:Lenny for mine is the natural leader of the group.
Let Roo and Bally concentrate solely on their on field performances which will be critical to achieving the ultimate in 08.
i heard that roo clinched it with his speech at the b & f

i think you'll find that it is made official soon

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:

Lets hope you are NOT talking about moral leadership :roll: !!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Another great move from Lyon to rid us of the ridiculous "rotating coin toss" that somehow built Churchillian leaders...... :roll: (I was always amazed we had this so called leadership development thing...and when challenged we were told it was just a"coin toss"........ :lol: )

And now we get some respect back into what it means being Captain of the St Kilda FC - aka Hird at Essendon - a revered position and not something thats demeaned by "pass the parcel" type dribble.

“Yeah….nah””
Trott7

When do they normally announce who is in the leadership group?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

not sure about 'normally' Trott7
and on recent announcements by various teams it can happen any time from the end of the season- hawks did it within days/ weeks
to the week before the Season proper- Blues

often these days it is announced 'formally' at a press opportunity
or a family day
or at the new 'event ' for some clubs htat is the ' season launch'- which the saints did a couple of times- 2004/ 2005 but not recently

But indication of the leadership group can be found in the sponsorship article on saints.com.au with the players in the leadership group at a differant price to the core or young groups.

http://saints.com.au/tabid/5315/News/Ne ... wsId=54704

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

I love how we've used this thread as a means to bag Carlton.

Just for the record, Rooey should be Skipper IMO, just look at his consistency and his speech at the BnF. Lenny is a great player, but Nick is more captain's material.

Plus it'd be good to see Lenny play some consistent footy post reconstruction before giving him the extra responsibility. After all, Roo has won 4 bnfs.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

Best on-field leader a club has seen for decades.

He wasn't only the best player in the comp during the 90s, he lifted his whole team.

FWIW, there are blokes who've done things 10x worse than Carey on and off the field. It's just that he was such a great player that it all gets hauled back at him.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Can someone who was at the B and F and recorded Rooeys speech please post it on the web so we can all see what was said.

esaint66
SS Life Member

magnifisaint wrote:Can someone who was at the B and F and recorded Rooeys speech please post it on the web so we can all see what was said.

hahah yeh i was just about to says the exact same. anyone got a link for the a video of it.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Can someone who was at the B and F and recorded Rooeys speech please post it on the web so we can all see what was said.
or just refresh our memories as to what he said

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

roo has to be the logical choice for captain hes close to being our best player ever (trevor barker medal winning wise) , hes got the media savy down , hes a vocal pressance on the feild and he leads by example in his efforts . Lenny has many of those atributes but isnt as vocal or is he as media savy as Roo . bally needs to just get back to playing the best footy he can without worring bout the captaincy

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
yipper
SS Life Member

Well someone posted that he thought his speech would have been "contrived" or "written for him"???? :roll:

Nope. He just got up and accepted his award - there was no speech notes he referred to or anything of the type. He just let rip from the heart - it was a call to arms for his club. He said they had gone backwards in 07' and needed to do more - much more, both collectively and individually. He said he realised he himself was not doing all he could to achieve success, felt others at the club were also failing to do all they could. Demanded that the whole club take stock whilst on their break and when they returned to training - right from the word go, work harder, get on the bus together and move in the one direction. Everybody had a responsibility to work their butts off to lift the club to success.

There was some more stuff - but generally that was the gist of it. It was not pre-prepared, rehearsed, written for him or contrived. It was a genuinely impressive act of leadership that stunned the large audience in attendance.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.