M Gardiner Watch Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

SuperSaint wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Extract on Gardi...

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 22,00.html
Saints to rest players before season
05 February 2008 Herald Sun
Jackie Epstein

The other players set to be put on ice early days are big men Michael Gardiner and Justin Koschitzke. [/i]

??? :roll:
If they can't 'hack' it now how does he expect Gardiner & Kosi to be durable when they are up against real opposition, week in week out?

The jury is out for me too unless they, as individuals, prove otherwise.
Nothing wrong with being careful, maybe we should have been a bit more careful with some of our players in the past.

SuperSaint
Club Player

Well if it is purely a case of being careful, I see no harm with giving both, but in particular Gardiner, some badly needed match time, especially with the NAB Cup's extended bench.

However, if they have some niggling fitness issue well that isn't promising for two already well renowned, injury-prone players.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Common sense would suggest that the modified interchange rule plays a part in this decision. I would imagine that as both players have an extensive injury history the fitness staff want to buld them up slowly and steadily at a preset rate which will be compromised by having to go too hard too early because of interchange retrictions.

Seems pretty sensible to me. Both fragile, why risk deviating from your plan a over month before the first actual game that counts. Have them firing at the right end of the season.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

From Banger from the HS today-Feb 6

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 22,00.html

"(Michael Gardiner) Gardy's had his troubles, so he'll be like a new recruit. He's been training for a fair while now and you'd be pretty confident that you're going to get some games out of him.

Well I think Banger is a pretty straight shooter, not into to overhyping things. :)

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
jk23
Club Player

Gardiner came to visit nursing home in Ballarat yesterday and I asked him if was playing at the intra club this friday and and he said yes and I said I would be watching.. we will see

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

jk23 wrote:Gardiner came to visit nursing home in Ballarat yesterday and I asked him if was playing at the intra club this friday and and he said yes and I said I would be watching.. we will see
confirmed by Ball on SEN this morning: King vs. Gardiner at the intra club.

I hope he's not talking porky pies, would love to see Gardy play, even if it's only a praccy match!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:
jk23 wrote:Gardiner came to visit nursing home in Ballarat yesterday and I asked him if was playing at the intra club this friday and and he said yes and I said I would be watching.. we will see
And just think all those young Saint kids watching King against Gardiner turning to their Mum and Dad tonight and asking "What are those 2 players doing?"

"Rucking, son!"

"Wow! I've never seen that happen before!!!!!'

:wink:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
And just think all those young Saint kids watching King against Gardiner turning to their Mum and Dad tonight and asking "What are those 2 players doing?"

"Rucking, son!"

You don't mean GT's kids by any chance?

ducks for cover, incoming from everywhere!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
savatage
SS Life Member

TimeToShineFellas wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

"Rucking, son!"

GOLD!!! Brilliant :)

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Noted this article on WOM..
http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx? ... ntID=57713

Gardiner is ready to start again 8th February 2008, 9:00 WST

Former West Coast ruckman Michael Gardiner will tonight take his first steps towards resurrecting his AFL career when he plays in St Kilda’s intraclub match at Moorabbin.

New Saints football manager Matthew Drain said last night that Gardiner had completed an virtually uninterrupted pre-season and was likely to be pitted against new recruit, Geelong premiership player Steven King.

“He’s training well and he’s actually been training well for quite a period,â€

sarah 2
Club Player

gardner was retoted off the bench he played about 5 mins on and 5 mins off and looked to be moving really well from where i was sitting but i thought him and king were on the same side tonight

GO SAINTS
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes King and Gardi shared the ruck....King looked fantastic.

But Gardi lacked football touch and really looked looked he has not had much football...which he has not.

He looked under pressure when he had the ball and his foot skills were rough and ready.

At the ball ups he positioned well..but needs to do more.

On the plus side he ran and moved freely and in rotation played the whole game....which is real step up.

He just needs to get games of footy under his belt now.

King by contrast is ready to rock and roll...clearly was superior to Rix in the ruck and around the ground. Roll on Round 1!!!

I would be quite happy to start the year with say King and Gardi swapping off the bench with King say playing 70 ish %.

Gardi needs some game time now.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 09 Feb 2008 10:42am, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 11,00.html

St Kilda unleash new ruck duo

February 08, 2008 ST Kilda are set to unleash new ruck duo Steven King and Michael Gardiner for their first official matches in Saints colours against Richmond at the Telstra Dome next Friday night.

The two injury-prone big men both looked in good fitness, swapping in the ruck in their intra-club practice match at Moorabbin, and coach Ross Lyon said they had both booked their place for the opening round NAB Cup match.

"I was on record if they stood up today (Friday) that they would play next week," Lyon said.

Ex-West Coast All Australian ruckmen Gardiner spent last year on the Saints' list, but managed only one VFL game because of chronic foot injuries.

Former Geelong skipper King was famously traded by the Cats after playing in their premiership victory last year.

King in particular looked in great form and fitness, in what was a mostly lacklustre and low-intensity practice match in windy conditions, with about 10 first-choice players sitting it out.

He and Gardiner took turns opposing fellow Saints ruckman Michael Rix, with rookie-listed youngster Luke Van Rheenen also having occasional spells while Rix rested.

"It was nice, Michael's fought some significant injury problems, but he's been in full training for a fair while now and we were always confident he was going to play today and play round one," Lyon said.

"Kingy's obviously come off a rock-solid year and they both contributed, so I thought it was a good battle between Rix, Gardiner, King and Van Rheenen."

The acquisition and fitness of King and Gardiner turns what had been a problem area for the Saints into a potential strength, particularly as ruckman-forward Justin Koschitzke is also ready to hit the season at top form.

Lyon said he would face an interesting, but welcome, juggling act with his ruckmen.

"My experience is that one week one will do 60 per cent and one might do 40 and one week it might be 30-70, it depends on opposition and form," he said.

"It's just rotating the roles between Rix, King, Gardiner and Koschitzke and it all depends on the opposition."

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Former Eagle Ready to Fly

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... ,00.html[i]

Rebecca Williams

February 09, 2008 12:00am

MICHAEL Gardiner is set to make his debut for the Saints in the NAB Cup next week after putting his injury woes behind him to impress in an intra-club hitout at Moorabbin last night.

While the Saints rested a host of their stars, including star forward Nick Riewoldt, Gardiner joined former Geelong premiership big man Steven King in a new-look St Kilda ruck set-up.

It was Gardiner's first match appearance in Saints colours after his 2007 season was ruined by a lingering foot injury.

The 28-year-old former Eagle has managed just one VFL match since joining St Kilda at the end of 2006.

Coach Ross Lyon was pleased with the form of Gardiner, who he expects will play in the team's NAB Cup opener against Richmond at Telstra Dome on Friday.

"It was nice because Michael has fought some significant injury problems," Lyon said last night.

"But he has been in full training for a fair while now and we were always confident that he was going to play today and play Round 1.

"Kingy has obviously come off a rock-solid year and they both contributed.

"I was on record (as saying) if they stood up today that they would play next week."
[/i]

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/g ... 70696.html

Gardiner passes test

Martin Boulton | February 9, 2008

ST KILDA ruckman Michael Gardiner is on track to play his first senior match for the club after successfully completing yesterday's intraclub match in Moorabbin.

The former West Coast player managed only one game with the Casey Scorpions in the VFL last year because of a persistent foot injury, but moved freely yesterday in the ruck.

Coach Ross Lyon said he was impressed with Gardiner's progress over summer and both he and Geelong premiership ruckman Steven King would play in the pre-season NAB Cup.

"It was nice, Michael's fought some significant injury problems, but he's been in full training for a fair while now and we were always confident he was going to play today and play round one," he said.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

So....from what can be seen and has been said by club officials...it would be reasonable to now assume that Gardiner should be fit enough to play AFL - even if he is perhaps restricted a mite.

So the question now would mainly seem to be can he recapture his good past form, or at least enough of it to be a better player than Rix?????

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well Gardi has been selected for tonights NAB game against the Tigers.

This will at last after a long long road be his first game for St Kilda...

A moment that some thought may never come. It remains to be seen now as to what standard he can reach. Not necessarilly in this game, but after several to build touch and match fitness.

However at least he will tonight at last pull on a Saints jumper and play in anger....and I like many will be watching in great interest.

http://www.saints.com.au/Season2007/New ... wsId=55288
Saints look forward to twin talls
St Kilda is eagerly awaiting the competitive debut of new ruck partnership Michael Gardiner and Steven King when it launches its NAB Cup challenge against Richmond on Friday night at the Telstra Dome. King was recruited just weeks after winning a premiership with the Cats last season, while a foot injury has prevented Michael Gardiner from playing his first game for the Saints since he was traded from West Coast in 2006. "We had a glimpse of Kingy and Gardy last weekend in our intra-club game," defender Sam Fisher said. "They both put on really good performances, so we’re really looking forward to seeing how they go tomorrow

RBnW
Club Player

I saw Gardy in Port Melbourne getting into a nice car this week....he is a big unit and has anyone else noticed he has no head....its the smallest head you have ever seen....if he had a big head like Cox, lynch, or King he would be 6ft 12.... :oops:

Our best is yet
to come......
Banger2Plugger
Club Player

I thought Gardie has shown he still has kicking ability. The length and some of the accuracy of his kicks impressed me. However when playing on he looked under pressure. TAKE THE KICK GARDIE!!!

If everyone speeds, why haven't you been overtaken?
Winmarvellous
Club Player

he would be 6ft 12....
Hell, that's almost 7ft :wink:

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

sweet

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
nebulousdog

Winmarvellous wrote:
he would be 6ft 12....
Hell, that's almost 7ft :wink:
winmarvellous, you're a smartarse... and I love it. :D

Proud Sponsor of Gilbo and Geary 2008
Proud Sponsor of Raph, Steven, Heyne and Tungatalum 2009
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well the NAB game against the Tigers answered another question..

Is Gardiner still capable of playing football to a reasonable AFL Standard?

Answer is now yes.

Will be interesting to how well he is playing once he has say another 4 games under his belt.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

16 hitouts from probably less than 50% gametime is a reasonable return.

Apparently a couple of well-directed ones too.

Give him 4-5 weeks and then re-assess IMO.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.