Baker!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Baker!!

Been some time and a lot of water under the bridge since what can only be described as a miscarriage of justice and stitch up job of the higest order but when I think of Bakes not being there for the first 7 rounds having the woman basher run into the back of his head.......

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :!:

I STILL GET VERY,VERY ANGRY :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Anyone share my sentiments :roll:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

psssst Pat
good news

he 's only out for five more-- although that's five too many.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:psssst Pat
good news

he 's only out for five more-- although that's five too many.
Thanks Brat :wink:

...slightly less angry...

but only just :x

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
rexy
SS Life Member

Agreed Pat, maybe they should have a rest of the season clause where if you get suspended in any game other than the GF the most games you can miss is the rest of the season, seems ridicoulous that he is still getting penalised for something that happened 5 months ago. Noone has a premiership point yet and every team should start on an even keel.

This should possibly only apply to our club.

Maybe this year?
linz
Club Player

Next time; maybe we'll keep our mouths shut like Schultz. (I know nothing!! I saw nothing !!)

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
bigmicka
Club Player

I swear though if he had of said nothing he would have got 15 weeks.

mic

No one ever built a statue for a critic.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

great post st.pat.

It's a shame the media haven't dug this up again and put the heat on the blatantly corrupt AFL.

Dimwit and his monkeyboy have had way too long a holiday season and should be put through the ringer again about the Baker incident.

In case they forgot, under the previous administration, the whole fiasco nearly ended up in court.

I guess Dimwit and his chimp are off the hook now as it's a new admin team who can't really be expected to fix the issue now and we have to cop it on the rectum where it really hurts.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:great post st.pat.

It's a shame the media haven't dug this up again and put the heat on the blatantly corrupt AFL.

Dimwit and his monkeyboy have had way too long a holiday season and should be put through the ringer again about the Baker incident.

In case they forgot, under the previous administration, the whole fiasco nearly ended up in court.

I guess Dimwit and his chimp are off the hook now as it's a new admin team who can't really be expected to fix the issue now and we have to cop it on the rectum where it really hurts.
I agree lets sack them all. We should get someone from the Saints to run the AFL because they are always picking on us.

PS Why dont you go and ask bakes if he really hit farmer.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I agree lets sack them all. We should get someone from the Saints to run the AFL because they are always picking on us.

No problems will do.

Very standard response from you plugger, and I won't say anymore as I've had a gutful of your BS.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

You have missed the point Plugger :roll:

There was no footage of the contact...the witness said he didn't see the contact and Baker admitted to nothing more than stopping and propping before contact....

The penalty of 7 weeks was also grosely out of proportion to the offence....which was as severe as if he had king hit him on camera..

I don't even care if he did give the woman beater a good one behind play on the evidence he should have been cleard...

He wes found guilty on supasition and speculation alone...

You can accept this rubbish if you want to but the rest of us know that
it was another example of one rule for the interstaters and one for the black sheep child St.Kilda...The Barry Hall and Goodes exonerations prove this as fact beyond doubt. :roll:

RBnW
Club Player

What chance did Bakes have with Ken Sheldon running his defence......none.... :oops: :oops:

That is one area we have to get better at this year......surley Drain must be good at this.....he must be..... 8-)

Our best is yet
to come......
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Mordy Bromberg is involved with the new board ... I'm sure he has a few decent legal contacts who can help with our tribunal cases.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

There was no footage of the contact...the witness said he didn't see the contact and Baker admitted to nothing more than stopping and propping before contact....

The penalty of 7 weeks was also grosely out of proportion to the offence....which was as severe as if he had king hit him on camera..

I don't even care if he did give the woman beater a good one behind play on the evidence he should have been cleard...

it was another example of one rule for the interstaters and one for the black sheep child St.Kilda...The Barry Hall and Goodes exonerations prove this as fact beyond doubt. :roll:

Firstly he got 4 weeks not 7. The extra was due to his bad record. And if we want to bring up interstaters what about Pickett getting 6 weeks for charging and the everyone else getting only one or two for the same charge. Also freo had the worst foung guilty record last year and Farmer has certainly not been looked after so we can always bring up issues to prove whatever way you feel. Like others are saying maybe if we ran a better defence he may have had more luck.

Can you also give any logical reason why we would be the black sheep and get picked on by the AFL.

bigmicka
Club Player

but why does he have a bad record Plugger?

He got rubbed out for kicking Alessio when he was being stood on.
He got suspended for attempted striking with the tigers ruckman. who is a foot taller than Baker.
He got suspended for wrestling with Marc Murphy and another player. He was given a 125 game suspended sentence. Which was against tribunal rules.

The only suspension he really deserved was when he snapped against Kane Johnson.

so his bad record is mainly caused by the tribunals absolute incompetence.

His last suspension was mainly given because of that 125 point stuff up. Not our fault why should we have to pay for it.

mic

No one ever built a statue for a critic.
To the top
SS Life Member

I remember at Docklands one night, versus Richmond, and my 'phone rang.

It was a mate who usually is at the footy with us but was in Queensland watching on Pay TV.

"Did I just see what I thought I saw?"

Unbelievable.

Anyway, Baker has unfortunately been marked - not just because of incidents that have seen him before the Tribunal but for the press coverage of his tagging tactics.

No doubt, right or wrong, the AFL decrys such negating tactics and has instructed umpires to crack down on them.

For this reason I think Baker is a marked man in the eyes of the Umpires and the AFL and will need to re-invent himself to continue at AFL level.

And I am doubtful he can re-invent himself.

The game has passed him by, unfortunately because a more committed and honest toiler you would not get.

His B&F tie was a tribute to him, his commitment and his endeavour. Not necessarily his skills.

But, even over the past 2 years, you need more, far more. And Baker has slipped - he is going the wrong way and he is under immense judiciary pressure to boot.

The game is not standing still - unless you have the just plain oozing class and absolute commitment of Harvey - a true legend to do what he has done and to still be going earning a game on superior performance, getting the ball and disposing of it to near perfection!

ace
Saintsational Legend

The tribunal :evil: must have been high on drugs to suspend Baker but no action taken against them. Ben Cousins, high on drugs, gets outed for life. :!:

BallBanger
Club Player

To the top wrote: Anyway, Baker has unfortunately been marked - not just because of incidents that have seen him before the Tribunal but for the press coverage of his tagging tactics.

No doubt, right or wrong, the AFL decrys such negating tactics and has instructed umpires to crack down on them.

For this reason I think Baker is a marked man in the eyes of the Umpires and the AFL and will need to re-invent himself to continue at AFL level.
These are my concerns also...when the AFL first instructed the umps to crack down on the taggers and look after the ball players the media often showed footage of baker running with Judd. But in the background you could see Dal being unfairly held by a westcoast player. Unfortunately the media were concentrating on Baker who was not doing anything untoward.
According to many players Baker is one of the fairer taggers! but the AFL/media/tribunal (who have created Bakers record mostly from bull) are not interested......

Behind Play
Club Player

Can Baker play in the NAB cup comp, and if not ,do these games count towards his suspension?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

funny people dont see the same thing with the cricket racist charge on singh .... singh got off from lack of evidence and people on this site were screaming about the injustice and how his prior bad record means he should of coped the full whack yet in this thread its an injustice for the AFL tribunal to find bakes guilty without evidence and a bad record ... hrmmm irony :roll:

p.s sorry ill stop talking cricket

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Raven
Club Player

Behind Play wrote:Can Baker play in the NAB cup comp, and if not ,do these games count towards his suspension?
He can play in the NAB cup, it's only the H&A season that counts.

Jimmy1972
Club Player

Seeing that we cant do much about it and this is the deal. We can can await the mans return fully fit and scare the bejesus out of the bloke he's playing on.

He fills the gap that Hamill has left and has done probably a better job because he doesn't play forward giving him more of a role as a high pressure tagger in the mids and backline.

He will come back as the Ace up The Sleeve because St Kilda will come out firing these first rounds and coaches will try to buffer this but when he comes back it will just add another dimension to the midfield and back line that they wouldn't be counting on as they underestimate his potential to shut down players as well as making or contributing to set plays, he is a smart player. LET BAKES RUN FREE 8-)

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Obviously I'm a HUGE fan of Baker, and I was ropable at the severity of his sentence given the fact that there was NO EVIDENCE; and the fact that the alledged victim actually came out in strong support of Bakes; and the fact that support was given no creedance by the AFL.

However there are some postives to come from all this.
1) The Saints now have a new board whom I believe will defend our players more vigourously.
2) A rookie, draftee, or traded player has been given an opportuinty to impress over the first five rounds.
3) Bakes will be superfit, determined, and breathing fire when gets back on the paddock.

I can't wait to see Bakes get back. His 'one-percenters' are second to none. He busts a gut like no-one else. He literally works 'til he vomits and then goes back and runs some more. The work he does off the ball in shutting down the opposition, plugging gaps and shepherding our blokes is inspirational.
He is probably the player most hated by opposition fans, and that's because deep-down they know how good he is at keeping their matchwinners out of a game.

He is a superb team player and undoubtedly the toughest bloke on our list.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

st_Trav_ofWA wrote: funny people dont see the same thing with the cricket racist charge on singh .... singh got off from lack of evidence and people on this site were screaming about the injustice and how his prior bad record means he should of coped the full whack yet in this thread its an injustice for the AFL tribunal to find bakes guilty without evidence and a bad record ... hrmmm irony :roll:

p.s sorry ill stop talking cricket
That's an excellent analogy.

It's comes down to the importance of proof, and the willingness of the deciding body to make an autocratic decision.

In the Singh situation, there's actually little doubt about the slur - off the record, many of his teammates have little doubt he'd make the comment or made the comment (though one could speculate that at least some of that boils down to the north/south divide within Indian cricket). BUT, cricket India is never going to allow a hearsay suspension to stand up without a fight - and there was serious lack of consistency in the Australian testimony.

So, there was little doubt Singh had given the slur, but without an airtight case, is the ICC going to be autocratic enough to stick it to Cricket's largest constituency? Evidently not, and why should they be?

In the Baker case, for all our handwringing, what we're really upset about is that Baker didn't get off on a similar loophole. For all Farmer ran into him, we know Baker deliberately caused the collision, and with no real ill will, is at fault, and for some reason Baker even testified to this... so while it's mind boggling that the AFL can suddenly show such fortitude with suspension as to hand down 7 weeks without direct evidence within it's long and short term tradition of attempting to let tribunal offenders off, it's hard not to suspect a lot of the feeling is because he's one of ours being treated unusually and unfairly... but perhaps not without justice.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saint patrick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Firstly he got 4 weeks not 7. The extra was due to his bad record. And if we want to bring up interstaters what about Pickett getting 6 weeks for charging and the everyone else getting only one or two for the same charge. Also freo had the worst foung guilty record last year and Farmer has certainly not been looked after so we can always bring up issues to prove whatever way you feel. Like others are saying maybe if we ran a better defence he may have had more luck.

Can you also give any logical reason why we would be the black sheep and get picked on by the AFL.
oh get your hand off it pluuger66, when is your cheque coming from the AFL, this month or next?

He testified that he stopped, the player ran into him. There is no evidence apart from this. These types of things happen so many times in games it's not funny, hell I've done it to a friend in a shopping centre LOL.....

It was a farce! Certain players get screwed over, yes it's not just us but hell we should not have to lose our best tagger because of that farce. Disgrace! Welcome to netball! :roll:

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote: oh get your hand off it pluuger66, when is your cheque coming from the AFL, this month or next?
Quote of the Year so far.

I'll buy you a beer at the footy for that one!