Rate the players here

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sam23
SS Life Member

According to Montagna (in his 3/4 time interview), all that was asked of the kids was to not concentrate on accumulating a whole lot of possessions, but they were asked to contribute by tackling and chasing.

Armitage had a blinder going from this....

Goddard.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I dont normally get as excited as most on here .. but there was a lot to like.

Almost all our rookies showed something - definatley enough to suggest that our depth has improved significantly. Eddy, Geary, Miles would all count themselves unlucky not to hold onto their spots for the next game.

Jack Stevens only did a few things but showed he is very very smart when he gets near it. Keep an eye on him.

Armo is probably the only one I was a little disppaointed in - I would have hoped he had more of it considering no Ball, Hayes or Baker and limited time on ground by Joey and Dal.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
eel33
Club Player

Like many on here, I enjoyed watching the new draftee and young kids' display last night. Hard not to get a little carried away. But maybe one reason we are, is that we've been starved of being able to see the future players as they develop. I know we can watch them play with Casey, but it's not always so simple to see the Scorps' games. Oh for the days of a true ressies comp where you could go early and get excited as you watched a young Plugger or Buckets grow in confidence and execution, and then anticipate the day when they got a senior game.

So, yes, I'm excited. But my head tells me to temper things down just a smidge until we've had more opportunity to see the younger guys back up a few times, and whether they can deliver consistently.

I really liked Geary's game, and like others, I was pleased with Armo's efforts even though I would have liked him to gather a few more disposals.

Charlie Gardiner just might play a HFF role giving us the mobile medium height marking option last supplied by Hamill when he was up and about.

M. Gardiner - early in the journey. Palm-down work was quite nice at times. King was also good, and showed a bit more around the ground. Really enjoyed seeing our mids running at full pace through the centre circle at centre bounces and more than a couple of times have the ball tapped straight into their hands. Good forward thrusts each time despite the Tiger's players close proximity/giving chase. First use of the ball at centre bounces???? Been waiting a long, long time.

Best of all, I think the depth displayed means we can better cover the inevitable injuries, and also select our side each week with a view towards matching (or out matching) the opposition. Been some time since we had 2nd tier players allowing for this.

Next week vs the Cats should be highly instructional.