Now 2 NAB games...but "Best 22" is looking harder

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Now 2 NAB games...but "Best 22" is looking harder

Only 1 NAB game...but "Best 22" is looking harder to get in
Well it was only one NAB game...and against a poor opponent (though on the other hand the Tiges fielded virtually a full strength team)....but on the stength of that and the intra club game it would appear that going into 2008 that our depth has players good enough to be genuine first 22 players has increased compared to end of 2007.

Now I will say here and now that this is rose coloured thread and that yes the sample size is small so far, that we have a lot of NAB and/or practice games to go etc etc.....

However...

*Geary
*Armo

Now both look ready to at least play some senior games in 2008. Geary looks almost ready made.

*C Gardiner looks to be capable of at least useful football as a forward...and maybe just maybe a lot more. The small/medium pool of forwards may now include Milne, Schneider, Jones and C Gardiner...but maybe not all in the one 22...especially if the midfield group stands up.

*King is definitely going to be an asset in the ruck.
*M Gardiner would now appear to at least be capable of playing as the No 2 ruck to King

*Schneider we have not seen in St Kilda colors...but he is safe bet.

* Dempster... played in the intra club. Still to small a sample to see if he can force his way into the best 22....but as a minimum his history would suggest that he will bea useful back up.

*C Jones. the good news story of the year for mine. After playing well in the intra club he has backed this up witha very good game againts the Tigers...his best game yet for the Saints. Clint started well last year, but struggled when he came back froma broken collarbone. If he can play like he did against the Tigers Clint is likely to playa number of senior games in 2008.

*Allen. Not yet best 22....but is showing that he will be a footballer. Roo, GTrain, Kosi and C Gardiner may limit his senior games in 2008 but he makes me quite confident that for 2009 and beyond that our forward line will be well served with enough talls.

and lastly...

*Blake....I though Blake was good last night. If he can play like that each and every week he must just hang on to a spot in the best 22. But that will be the key now...that he will have to be that good every week for competiton for a spot in 22 looks like it will be fierce in 2008.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 23 Feb 2008 11:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
aussiejones
Club Player

I posted last week that too many players were automatic picks .

well on lastnights performance every one will need to fight for a spot in the team. Just as they should .

Our list if last night is any indication has real depth and balance.

But one swallow does not make a summer !

Huzzad
Club Player

Yeah, agree with you there mate. Our best 22 is really up for grabs now after that performance. If our young guns can be that consistant, nearly any spot is up for grabs. Not sure about Blake though, while he didn't have a horrible match, I think there were younger players that played better than him. I honestly think he will be pushing for selection this year. With the pool of talent on display last night, I don't think he will get as many games. If I was Ross Lyon, I would rather use Charlie than Blake in that kinda role, or Dempster. Blake might have some experience under his belt, but for me, he has only had a spot because quite frankly, we had no one else to give it too.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
Sainterone
Club Player

Where does Rix fit in our team now?
Does he have a place?

Can Schneider force his way into the team - the forward line is looking very strong. Milne may be under pressure if he has some patchy matches - might be a lot more competition for a small forward possy in 2008...

GO SAINTS

NICK RIEWOLDT - 444 GOALS FROM 200 MATCHES
STEPHEN MILNE - 440 GOALS FROM 216 MATCHES
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Sainterone wrote:Where does Rix fit in our team now?
Does he have a place?...
played mainly as a key defender last night...didnt do to bad either

looked hilarious in his short shorts

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

If the season started next week and everyone but Baker, Goddard, Maguire and Attard were fit and available I would have us line up like this..

B: R.Clarke, Hudghton, L.Fisher
HB: Gram, S.Fisher, Geary
C: Montagna, Hayes, X.Clarke
HF: Schneider, Riewoldt, C.Gardiner
F: Gehrig, Koschitzke, Milne

Foll: King, Ball, Dal Santo
Int: Blake, Birss, Gilbert, Harvey

Emg: M.Gardiner, Jones, Dempster

*Kosi the second ruck, Blake emergency
*Miles and Eddy would at least be emergencies if on the senior list

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

kosi wouldn't be second ruck

mies and eddy both rookies and can't play.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:kosi wouldn't be second ruck
I don't think Kosi's best work is done as a stay at home forward. He is most influential playing as a floating ruckman who cuts off opposition forward entries. However his tap work isn't good enough for him to be a full time ruckman, so I expect him to do both in 2008. Especially considering Gehrig's return and Charlie Gardiner's good pre season form as a lead-up forward. We don't need 4 marking targets at once.
mies and eddy both rookies and can't play.
I know that. Which is why I did not include them in the 25.

Sam23
SS Life Member

lol MSG - no.

Gardiner second ruck.

Koschitzke forward.

Goddard.
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:C: Montagna, Hayes, X.Clarke
HF: Schneider, Riewoldt, C.Gardiner
F: Gehrig, Koschitzke, Milne
Foll: King, Ball, Dal Santo
Those are 100% correct at the moment imo as well.

The rest is fairly good...minor adjustments

Best list we have had for a long time...even better than 2004/5 imo

hotdish
Club Player

My Best 22 (of course, i'm biased on last nights game...)

B: L Fisher Hudghton Gilbert
HB: Gram Maguire S Fisher
C: Fiora Hayes Montagna
HF: Schneider Riewoldt X
F:Milne Gehrig Kossi
Foll: King Dal Ball
Int: C Gardiner, Goddard, Harvey, Raph
Emerg: Baker, Birss, Blake, Dempster,

It'll be tough to get a gig this year! We've upgraded on so many positions.

Brooks ---> King
Watts --> C Gardiner
Voss --> Dempster

etc...
Last edited by hotdish on Sat 16 Feb 2008 11:48pm, edited 2 times in total.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

B: R. Clarke, M. Hudghton, J. Geary
HB: J. Gram, M. Maguire, S. Fisher
C: L. Montagna, N. Dal Santo, B. Goddard
HF: C. Gardiner, N. Riewoldt, X. Clarke
F: S. Milne, J. Koschitzke, F. Gehrig
Foll: S. King, L. Hayes, L. Ball
I/C: R. Harvey, S. Baker, M. Gardiner, S. Gilbert

Can't get a game :shock:: A. Schneider, J. Blake, C. Jones, A. Fiora, L. Fisher, S. Dempster, S. Birss

Shisen.

We have some depth.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
hAyES
Club Player

I don't think Raph has a place in this side. As the third man up he's good, but it was obvious last night he's too slow. Whoever he played on, Richmond went to in the forward line. If a team as **** as Richmond can catch him out, imagine what good teams will do to him.

Saints94
SS Life Member

This line up for 2nd rd nab cup match

FB: L.Fisher M.Hudgston L.Miles

CHB: J.Gram S.Fisher R.Clarke

C: D.Armitage N.Dal Santo A.Fiora

CHF: C.Gardiner J.Kozchitzke X.Clarke

FF: S.Milne F.Gehrig J.Allen

FOLL: S.King R.Eddy J.Geary

INT: R.Harvey M.Gardiner L.Montagna S.Birss J.Steven J.Blake
B.Howard C.Jones

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

hotdish wrote: Brooks ---> King
Watts --> C Gardiner
Voss --> Dempster

etc...
M. Clarke -> King
Hamill -> C. Gardiner
M. Gardiner (inj) -> M. Gardiner (fit)
Voss -> Schneider

Not sure they're all upgrades.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:B: R. Clarke, M. Hudghton, J. Geary
HB: J. Gram, M. Maguire, S. Fisher
C: L. Montagna, N. Dal Santo, B. Goddard
HF: C. Gardiner, N. Riewoldt, X. Clarke
F: S. Milne, J. Koschitzke, F. Gehrig
Foll: S. King, L. Hayes, L. Ball
I/C: R. Harvey, S. Baker, M. Gardiner, S. Gilbert

Can't get a game :shock:: A. Schneider, J. Blake, C. Jones, A. Fiora, L. Fisher, S. Dempster, S. Birss

Shisen.

We have some depth.
I'd like to see how C. Gardiner pairs up with Riewoldt across half forward before we select him ahead of Schneider. That is some depth, especially when you have players who can play multiple positions like Blake and Dempster.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Next weeks side..if we assume that Plugger66 is accurate and only Gram and Gilbo will come back..and we are working up towards our best 22 by round 1

In: Gram, Gilbert

Out: Miles, Eddy (no disrespect meant to them at all)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Next weeks side..if we assume that Plugger66 is accurate and only Gram and Gilbo will come back..and we are working up towards our best 22 by round 1

Out: Van Rheenen, Chivers (named but did not take the field enough to be warranted)

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
saint66au wrote:Next weeks side..if we assume that Plugger66 is accurate and only Gram and Gilbo will come back..and we are working up towards our best 22 by round 1

Out: Van Rheenen, Chivers (named but did not take the field enough to be warranted)
Poor Glenn had to resort to handball work with the runner- and kick to kick with jack early in the game. Pretty sure he did get a short run but will check the replay.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Just imagine how good the Casey 2nds will be if we can maintain a (almost) full list :lol: !!

Huzzad
Club Player

hAyES wrote:I don't think Raph has a place in this side. As the third man up he's good, but it was obvious last night he's too slow. Whoever he played on, Richmond went to in the forward line. If a team as **** as Richmond can catch him out, imagine what good teams will do to him.
Despite the fact he played alright last night and didn't do anything too terrible, I'd have to say he is THE most over-rated player on this forum. Really do not think he has what it takes to play AFL footy in a team with no injuries. While I am sure he has talent, I really do not think he has done much more to show. Had a few years now, injuries aside, to prove his worth and I seriously do not think he is going to be anything except a 2nd or 3rd reserve defender. Yes, he didn't stuff up last night, but didn't see him do much else either to warrant a place when we already have Hudghton, Maguire, Gram, 2 Fishers, Gilbert and Baker who can also drift down back and then Attard when he returns from injury. I've said it once before, but I just don't get why people rave on about Raph Clarke, in my eyes he is nothing special, and if he even has 1/2 as bad a season as last year we will be in trouble with him on our side because he will cost us too many turn-overs.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
Iratedebate
Club Player

Poor Glenn had to resort to handball work with the runner- and kick to kick with jack early in the game. Pretty sure he did get a short run but will check the replay.
That is why the limit on the interchanges for the nab cup is ridiculous. You have 8 on the bench (double than that of the season proper) yet only allowed to make 16 changes per qtr. I'm sure RL would have loved to have given young Chivers more game time, but his hand is forced because the majority of the changes per qtr would be pre arranged through midfield rotations. The nab cup is about experimentation, but to double the bench and then restrict the amount of times you can use it is idiotic. Lets hope this is one rule that never surfaces into the regular season

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Just imagine how good the Casey 2nds will be if we can maintain a (almost) full list :lol: !!
Casey (1sts) will be relying on Saints players a lot more this year, as they lost quite a few good players from last year, to the new Collingwood VFL side, retirement, and elsewhere.

As an aside, how do you guys feel about calling Casey 'we' and 'us' based on our partnership

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:

VR didnt play. Outs would Chivers and either Steven, Howard or Rix depending on matchups.

By the way are we getting carried away saying we have better depth than 2004. If we were to lose to the Cats by 10 goals people would be saying we have no depth and we need to get our senior players back. It was only a practice game.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Otiman wrote:

VR didnt play. Outs would Chivers and either Steven, Howard or Rix depending on matchups.

By the way are we getting carried away saying we have better depth than 2004. If we were to lose to the Cats by 10 goals people would be saying we have no depth and we need to get our senior players back. It was only a practice game.
yeah i understand that plugger but honestly this is the first time we have seen such a crop of youngsters stand up and actually show somthing in a preseason so excuse us if we get a little excited but we are used to the half efforts from Brooks the sloppyness of murray the lack of heart from sweeney and the under achiving of ferg in the NAB not the skill , pace , effort , agression and enthusiasm of the young blokes last night

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/