Dear GT

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

GT is a LEGEND!!
In his own mind

Another opportunity awaits!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I find it really sad watching Harves play.

It's sad that one day, we won't get the pleasure of witnessing what the guy does every week, and has done every week for the past 20 years.

Deadset legend.

Anyone who passes judgement on a player after a praccy match is a deadset scrotum, simpleton and a moron all rolled into one.

Mods, do I get 3 warnings for that? Is it just counted as 1?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

To be fair to Thomas, he has constantly stated that he never said that he doesn't rate ruckman, just that he doesn't rate crabbs. He attempted to get Cox to the club. You can critisise on his choice of Brookes and Ackland as rucks, but it is a myth that is peddled that he never rated rucks.

"Attempted."...they do not hand out flags for good attempts. What matters is who he brought to the club (and I do not mean with picks in the main draft as that is or should be par for the course).

Post Waldron GT floundered when he became ing of the Saints List Management Castle.

Yes...he would not have recruited King or Gardi...

He did secure Brooks, Knoble, Ackland and Rix......and for a rookies went for Stone an anothwr kid I cannot remember, but who was too short to bea good ruckmen without an exceptional leap. So GT's ruck legacy is?????? Squat all.

GT may have valued good ruckmen...problem is that the guy had absolutely no ability to sort the wheat from the chaffe
and came up empty every time. The law of averages did not even work for him....as he chose duds each and every time...and never backed a ruck winner.

Yet GT would have exited out Harvey at least two years early....and would have gotten rid of Milne.

GT as a spotter of guys that can have an impact at AFL level...............you have to be kidding.

He may be seeing signs.....but obviously cannot read!!!!

Now no one gets every call right...but GT calls were consistently poor.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Iratedebate
Club Player

"Attempted."...they do not hand out flags for good attempts. What matters is who he brought to the club (and I do not mean with picks in the main draft as that is or should be par for the course).

Post Waldron GT floundered when he became ing of the Saints List Management Castle.

He did secure Brooks, Knoble, Ackland and Rix......and for a rookies went for Stone an anothwr kid I cannot remember, but who was too short to bea good ruckmen without an exceptional leap. So GT's ruck legacy is?????? Squat all.

GT may have valued good ruckmen...problem is that the guy had absolutely no ability to sort the wheat from the chaffe
and came up empty every time. The law of averages did not even work for him....as he chose duds each and every time...and never backed a ruck winner.

Yet GT would have exited out Harvey at least two years early....and would have gotten rid of Milne.

GT as a spotter of guys that can have an impact at AFL level...............you have to be kidding.

Great post

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
But if you hate GT you will see it other ways. I don't hate GT so I hope I am unbiased.

Plugger...by you various posts you are clearly biased about GT...as I would imagine all are on this forum....you just don't see it. Everyone is biased about everything.

PS I don't hate GT, however I strongly resent that he talked his way into the position of coach of an AFL team without an appropriate apprenticeship.

I further resent when it became patently obvious that he could not perform adequately in the all pervasive Coach come Football Manager that he imagined him to be that he strongly resisted all attempts for more expertise (ie Drain and GT demanding full responsibility for player conditioning).

Result being that someone who did not have all the experience, knowledge and ability to perform the role got to play out his fantasy at all St Kilda fans expense.

There is saying in life that people get promoted till they reach the level of their incompetency. GT is proof positive.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 09 Mar 2008 3:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

FullMonty
Club Player

GT had some great ideas that other clubs have caught up on in recent years.
However, his total disregard for ruckmen always astounded me and the proof will be in the putting this year if King and Gardy stay fit.

Montyrules!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Yes...he would not have recruited King or Gardi...

My whole point.

You can critisise GT for his selections, which IMHO were substandard, but it is an absolute myth that GT did not rate ruckmen. Posters blithely state this myth when it has been refuted time and time again.

His inability to see what Lyon could see and address our weaknesses in the ruck is a reason why he no longer coaches at AFl level. Simply not up to it.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
But if you hate GT you will see it other ways. I don't hate GT so I hope I am unbiased.

Plugger...by you various posts you are clearly biased about GT...as I would imagine all are on this forum....you just don't see it. Everyone is biased about everything.

PS I don't hate GT, however I strongly resent that he talked his way into the position of coach of an AFL team without an appropriate apprenticeship.

I further resent when it became patently obvious that he could not perform adequately in the all pervasive Coach come Football Manager that he imagined him to be that he strongly resisted all attempts for more expertise (ie Drain and GT demanding full responsibility for player conditioning).

Result being that someone who did not have all the experience, knowledge and ability to perform the role got to play out his fantasy at all St Kilda fans expense.

There is saying in life that people get promoted till they reach the level of their incompetency. GT is proof positive.
You are so wrong about the biasis. I just respect what he did at the Saints and his right to say what he likes in the media. I also respect Hally and Spider. I am not a supporter who loves players and coaches when they are with us and then hate them when they leave.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

FullMonty wrote:GT had some great ideas that other clubs have caught up on in recent years.
Yes he had some good ideas......but you have to put all the pieces of the puzzle together.

Some of "his" ideas had also been done before....and nothing wrong with that. He and Rendell for example were open about how they had studied previous premiership teams and sought to copy the Lions.

Alves in 97 for example brought Mclean to the Saints to empower the players.....

Trouble with GT was that he was no good at the bread and butter of being a good coach.

But yes he was very good at the "sales patter"...trouble was that he did not have much product to deliver.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 09 Mar 2008 4:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
I am not a supporter who loves players and coaches when they are with us and then hate them when they leave.
Neither am I.

With respect to Spider...if we had kept at the club we probably would have had some day silverware by now.

My views on GT have nothing to do with love or hatred, but are based upon my oinion of his ability. his lack of chracter does not assist as well. however there are many good players and coaches who are less than nice people.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Watson for example is a guy that was a dud coach....and when he realised he could not coach he had the good grace to fall on his sword.

I admire him having a go. I certainly do not hate the guy.

I admire GT's having go with others to turn around the Saints fortunes (and this is his true positive legacy).

I can even admire some degree him taking the reins as coach, for you need self belief in ones abilities.

However I do not admire the way his self obsession to control everything then dominated the Saints and which prevented us from having people with the right abilities for the right job.. If in fact he had the ability to be good in all areas, then fair enough....but he did not.

But he was actually worse than dismal in many facets and his python like control then sqeezed the Saints so that we did not have the off -field football talent at the Club that we required and which our competitors had.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

You are starting to sound like B4E. You are writing another post after you just wrote a post without anyone saying something. From what you said in the last post the fault was with the committee who allowed this to happen.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

To be fair to Thomas, he has constantly stated that he never said that he doesn't rate ruckman, just that he doesn't rate crabbs. He attempted to get Cox to the club. You can critisise on his choice of Brookes and Ackland as rucks, but it is a myth that is peddled that he never rated rucks.

The way you crap on, you'd think we'd finished 2 games out of the 8, let alont top 4 for 2 years in a row followed by only missing the top 4 by %.

Fair dinkum you're full of shiit.

To date, Ross Lyon has only showed that he can get a top 4 list to miss the 8. That's it.

So before we have to read pages and pages of your self-rightious bragging and lies, how about we wait and see if anything you and 'Ross' have implemented does us any good. Ok?

Wannker.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Could you please elaborate on this lie?

And be clear. You've said he demanded full responsibility for player conditioning - what do you mean by this false claim?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
So before we have to read pages and pages of your self-rightious bragging and lies,

Wannker.
So has your hero GT said anything on SEN today?

I find it amusing but mainly sad that as each day goes by we see more and more evidence of GT's ineptitude.

Still years ago I too was sucked in by GT's sales patter. Some wake up quicker than others.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

And be clear. You've said he demanded full responsibility for player conditioning - what do you mean by this false claim?
Yes Rodger that is what occurred. It is not a false claim.

Looks like you are way behind on the news.

A request...can you possibly at least once check your facts before you call me a liar?

You have repeatedly done this and not once have you ever presented the merest shred of evidence that I have lied.

Once again you have called me a liar...and once again you are wrong.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

To those people who have changed their opinions of GT since the Harvey comment.....Stop being fools.

A lot of the comments above state that "I used to think he was a good coach..." bulls***.

Make a determination about the games he coached.....Changing your opinion of his performance because he made certain comments is quite pathetic.

His comments have nothing to de with his performance as coach of St Kilda....

...and FYI I thought he was a useless coach, I just hate these simpletons who jump ship because of an unrelated incident.

JeffDunne

It amazes me in a thread bagging GT because of his comments on Harv's we could get a comment on Alves without a mention of his slandering of the great man.

I'm not surprised though. The same people that are GT's main critics also seem to speak glowingly of Alves. Talk about selective memory.

Alves I hold in utter contempt because of two main issues:

- his slandering of Harv's, Burke & Stewie blaming them for his sacking

- scapegoating Shanahan rather than accepting he was embarrassed by his lack of coaching nous on the biggest stage.

lol, "empower the players", yeah right. :roll:

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Yes Rodger that is what occurred. It is not a false claim.

Looks like you are way behind on the news.

A request...can you possibly at least once check your facts before you call me a liar?

You have repeatedly done this and not once have you ever presented the merest shred of evidence that I have lied.

Once again you have called me a liar...and once again you are wrong.
So you admit you lied?

No elaboration, nothing to back it up.

Typical.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
So before we have to read pages and pages of your self-rightious bragging and lies,

Wannker.
So has your hero GT said anything on SEN today?

I find it amusing but mainly sad that as each day goes by we see more and more evidence of GT's ineptitude.

Still years ago I too was sucked in by GT's sales patter. Some wake up quicker than others.
Some wake up quicker?? He left the club 2 years ago and you manage to make about 39 posts a day about the guy!!

Talk about an obsession. Even for someone who makes up as much rubbish as you do, the amount you post about GT is just embarassing.

Get over him. He's nothing more than a hack radio commentator now. Move on.

He's gone.

FFS.

Sainterone
Club Player

Here's what the current Saints coach thinks about the performance of Harvey:

from the Hun:

He (Lyon) also leapt to the defence of Robert Harvey, who wore some criticism from former coach Grant Thomas, but was one of the Saints' best last night with 22 possessions.

"It's an opinion business and that's really healthy," Lyon said. "But I can tell you my opinion of Robert Harvey - I think he's a damaging player and disrespect him at your peril."

GO SAINTS

NICK RIEWOLDT - 444 GOALS FROM 200 MATCHES
STEPHEN MILNE - 440 GOALS FROM 216 MATCHES
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

What's the difference between this thread and spam?

It's all just repetition.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

So you admit you lied?

Typical.
No...I am factual.

It was well reported at the time and well known as well that RB and GT had strong disagreements and heated words about the conditioning and fitness management of our players.

After which GT demanded from RB and the Board responsibility.

This was given....

The sting in the tale for GT was that he also had to become accountable for our injury rate.

He failed.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

So you admit you lied?

Typical.
No...I am factual.

It was well reported at the time and well known as well that RB and GT had strong disagreements and heated words about the conditioning and fitness management of our players.

After which GT demanded from RB and the Board responsibility.

This was given....

The sting in the tale for GT was that he also had to become accountable for our injury rate.

He failed.
Doesnt that RB responsible as he should have the final say afterall he obviously had the power to sack him.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
. From what you said in the last post the fault was with the committee who allowed this to happen.
Yes agreed the then Board should not have appointed GT in the way they did.

Both parties have since admitted it was a sham.