A new found respect for WA Sainters

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

A new found respect for WA Sainters

I have spent the last week in Perth/Margaret River area and have been absolutely gobsmacked. I always knew that the sandgropers were parochial but I never in my wildest dreams expected the sort of parochialism that I have casually observed here.

From TV to radio to newspapers you would be hard pressed to know that there was any other part of Australia other than Western Australia.

For you WA Sainters to survive (and thrive) over here in this society of 'head in the sand ostriches' is a truly amazing feat indeed.

I did chuckle the other day when the local paper had stories about the 'other' teams in the AFL. I learned how the Tigers were going to be better this year because Polak was going to take a key position and Coughlan was coming back from injury. What s the connection you ask? Both players are from WA!
So all the previews were based on the WA players in those teams. (we didn't even rate a preview!)

This morning there was a huge article about the Boomers preliminary squad, which whilst announcing that Anstey had been selected, went on to bemoan the lack of WA players in the squad. only 5 or 6 out of 35.

Thankfully I'll be on the plane tomorrow back to Melbourne.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Ah, the joys of living interstate :twisted:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
loris
Saintsational Legend

Re: A new found respect for WA Sainters

Mr Magic wrote:I have spent the last week in Perth/Margaret River area and have been absolutely gobsmacked. I always knew that the sandgropers were parochial but I never in my wildest dreams expected the sort of parochialism that I have casually observed here.

From TV to radio to newspapers you would be hard pressed to know that there was any other part of Australia other than Western Australia.

For you WA Sainters to survive (and thrive) over here in this society of 'head in the sand ostriches' is a truly amazing feat indeed.

I did chuckle the other day when the local paper had stories about the 'other' teams in the AFL. I learned how the Tigers were going to be better this year because Polak was going to take a key position and Coughlan was coming back from injury. What s the connection you ask? Both players are from WA!
So all the previews were based on the WA players in those teams. (we didn't even rate a preview!)

This morning there was a huge article about the Boomers preliminary squad, which whilst announcing that Anstey had been selected, went on to bemoan the lack of WA players in the squad. only 5 or 6 out of 35.

Glad you were here to experience it Mr Magic...it relates to everything, not just sport.

Gawd now every homegrown Western Australian is saying.........I told you so.............. They have all had their water diviners out years ago and knew the exact spots that the HMAS Sydney and the Cormorant went down........it was an Eastern States conspiracy not to allow the searching to proceed in WA's best kept secret location :roll: :roll:

Some of our 'conspiracy theorists' on the 'General Forum' should come over here and do an apprenticeship under the WA locals on how to bleat conspiracy this, conspiracy that ad nauseum :wink:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:Ah, the joys of living interstate :twisted:
yeah good old adelaide :(
bloody crows fans and power tossers

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:I have spent the last week in Perth/Margaret River area and have been absolutely gobsmacked. I always knew that the sandgropers were parochial but I never in my wildest dreams expected the sort of parochialism that I have casually observed here.

Welcome to our world Magic!!!! Hence my consuming detestation of all things WCE. It really is as bad as you say isn't it. The only time you get any news about non-WA teams is when the WA teams are playing them, or there's a W.A connection. If you stayed for long enough, you'd find the next step is that WA fans truly believe they're coverage is balanced unbiased. It really is gobsmacking.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:

Welcome to our world Magic!!!! Hence my consuming detestation of all things WCE. It really is as bad as you say isn't it. The only time you get any news about non-WA teams is when the WA teams are playing them, or there's a W.A connection. If you stayed for long enough, you'd find the next step is that WA fans truly believe they're coverage is balanced unbiased. It really is gobsmacking.
I watched the major news bulletin on Ch 7 news last night and this is what they did for AFL Sport:-

And here's Basil Pimplarse with all today's Sports news
An interview with Super K Daniel Kerr
A Story on the Freo Shockers

and finally, Basil states the following:-
And AFL footy is underway!

That was it.

Oh and BTW, the 'typical' WCE fan's response to the shenanigans going on over the last few years at their club?

it's in the past
Our Club is clean now
Anyway, all the players everywhere are doing it, and we were just being picked on because we are successful.

It was also pointed out to me that Juddy may have had a first last night - it probably was the first time he has ever been beaten by Richmond in his entire career?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
I watched the major news bulletin on Ch 7 news last night and this is what they did for AFL Sport:-

And here's Basil Pimplarse with all today's Sports news
An interview with Super K Daniel Kerr
A Story on the Freo Shockers

and finally, Basil states the following:-
And AFL footy is underway!

That was it.

Oh and BTW, the 'typical' WCE fan's response to the shenanigans going on over the last few years at their club?

it's in the past
Our Club is clean now
Anyway, all the players everywhere are doing it, and we were just being picked on because we are successful.

It was also pointed out to me that Juddy may have had a first last night - it probably was the first time he has ever been beaten by Richmond in his entire career?
yep, it's all par for the course. You're lucky they didn't have an interview with Worsfold as well. Was the same with the cricket. If WA were involved in a Pura Cup game, you'd get a detailed report of how they went, but no mention at all of any other games. The list goes on and on.
WCE being picked on because they're successful is a good one isn't it? They've got a chip on their shoulder the size of Kalgoorlie and they don't know it. I'm in Melbourne at the mo and one of the first things I notices is the far broader and more balanced coverage here.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

In the Gold Coast papers article about the NAB cup Grand Final, all they talked about was how well fellow Gold Coast Jake Tippett played. Didn't even mention St Kilda or that we won! :roll:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
noddy

Welcome to the real world Mr Magic :) Us interstate Sainters have been saying this for years. :D All we get is Neil NOTEETH Craig or Mark FATGUTS Williams or any or all amount of deadhead port and moron players on the sports news. Even last nights LOSS for Port was revenge because apparently they have improved 110 points.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Eugh.

Im heading to WA tonight for the long weekend... cant believe im not going to be able to watch round 1.

VietNam_Saint
Club Player

WA=Wait Awhile (slowies)

Porochial isnt the word for it !

I spent a total of ten years in Perth. Can remember going to Subi and standing on the hill . Would barrack for any team that was playing against the Weagles , can also remember being confused the day i went to a Weagles v filth game ,,,,,,, i actually spent the day barracking for the umpires and giving s*** to everyone(had some real big mates with me).

read the papers over there ,, listen to all media ,, its all about how bias the eastern media is ,,,, conspiricay theories abound against them ,,, god how i used to love starting rumours ,,,, hahahaha ,,,

I've done my time there and seen it ,,,,,, the single most bias place is there in terms of west and east ,,,,, and you know what really made me laugh ,,,, lots of the bemoaners are actually originally from the east ,,, although there were still a good % original "slowies".

Please , dont get me wrong ,, I love WA , i love the people as well ,(most of them) but the way the media reports things ONLY about locals used to s*** me to tears. Hers a tip. WA is part of something bigger ,,, its called Oztralia . And another tip ,, Weagles and Dorkers are part of something bigger as well ...... its the AFL ,,,, or should that be OFL.

My local newsgaent always held Friday , Saturday and Mondays Herald Sun for me ,, just so i knew what was happening in the AFL ,,, not just WA.

Remember ,, a lot of this was before everyone had the net .

Years ago ,, trying to see an eastern state game on the telly was near impossible.

What will be next from this club ?
Winmarvellous
Club Player

Hence the old Sunday tradition of fish and chips with the Winners on channel 2. Highlights they may have been, but it bred 2 WA Sainters in my household alone.

Lynch Beast
Club Player

Your club barely rates a mention among the Victorian papers, what possible reason would a WA paper have for giving you more than a paragraph in the Friday paper each week.

Stop feeling so hard done by, if they started printing stories about unsuccessful Victorian clubs then nobody would buy the paper - probably 90% of WA footy fans support Freo or West Coast so I highly doubt the feelings of all 600 odd Saints fans in WA will be a huge concern.

If I was still living in Victoria then I would HIGHLY doubt I would be getting many positive stories about West Coast each week

there is 16 AFL clubs - 14 of them that have insignificant followings in WA

Deal with it

You will still get your team sheets on a Friday morning, they still show the footy show on Thursday night at 9:30pm, Tim Gossage (A Saints fan) will let you know the ins and outs at 5:35 on a Thursday night (right after a 4 minute interview with Ashley Hansen) and Saturday afternoon on the Western Front, you will see plenty of Victorian players on Before the game and you still get the Sunday footy show which has had about 1 interview with a West Coast player in the past 2 years (Beau Waters on a live feed early in 07) and then on Monday night you can listen to Caro hanging more s*** on West Coast if you really feel like it.

You want to read about Victorian Clubs -

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy

Never seen a clubs supporters that feel so sorry for them selves

Scum

Lynch Beast wrote:Your club barely rates a mention among the Victorian papers, what possible reason would a WA paper have for giving you more than a paragraph in the Friday paper each week.

Stop feeling so hard done by, if they started printing stories about unsuccessful Victorian clubs then nobody would buy the paper - probably 90% of WA footy fans support Freo or West Coast so I highly doubt the feelings of all 600 odd Saints fans in WA will be a huge concern.

If I was still living in Victoria then I would HIGHLY doubt I would be getting many positive stories about West Coast each week

Deal with it

You will still get your team sheets on a Friday morning, they still show the footy show on Thursday night at 9:30pm, Tim Gossage (A Saints fan) will let you know the ins and outs at 5:35 on a Thursday night (right after a 4 minute interview with Ashley Hansen) and Saturday afternoon on the Western Front, you will see plenty of Victorian players on Before the game and you still get the Sunday footy show which has had about 1 interview with a West Coast player in the past 2 years (Beau Waters on a live feed early in 07) and then on Monday night you can listen to Caro hanging more s*** on West Coast if you really feel like it.

Good post with some good points, but the thing about Melbourne is you can be sitting in the young and jackson with views of the great G where Kangas will be playing the Hawks, and be watching Port at home to Freo on the tele. Melbourne does acknowledge the existence of other teams, WA ignores it

I made this account when I was young and I don’t know how to change the name
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Lynch Beast wrote:Your club barely rates a mention among the Victorian papers, what possible reason would a WA paper have for giving you more than a paragraph in the Friday paper each week.

Deal with it

Thanks for the info and WA non-Saint perspective Lynchy.

Maybe I'm 'spoiled' here in Melboune? I get to see , read and hear about all forms of National sport, whether they are being played by Victorians or played in Victoria or not.

What I don't get is my major newspaper in the week before the commencement of the AFL publishing a 4 page liftout about the chances of the VFL(your WAFL equivalent) teams this year? Fair Dinkum (to stael a Barks catchcry), a 4 page liftout on Subiaco vs Swan Districts etc whilst absolutely no mention of any other team in the AFL?

Also, do you in WA know that there is a competition in Australia, slightly larger than the WAFL called the NRL?

How silly of me to expect the WA news to mention anywhere about the games that were/had been playing over that weekend. Or even the results.

Lynchy, you can sugarcoat it anyway you like, the fact is that your news media caters for your local population and there can be only 1 term, to describe them/it - parochial xenophobic self-flagellators.

Do they (I'm speaking generally now) realize that WA didn't actually secede from the rest of Oz?

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda has the highest number of supporters in Western Australia of the 14 non-WA clubs I believe ...

So there is a case for us getting more coverage than most of the other Vic clubs.

But acknowledge your points Lynch Beast

Lynch Beast
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:

Deal with it

Thanks for the info and WA non-Saint perspective Lynchy.

Maybe I'm 'spoiled' here in Melboune? I get to see , read and hear about all forms of National sport, whether they are being played by Victorians or played in Victoria or not.

What I don't get is my major newspaper in the week before the commencement of the AFL publishing a 4 page liftout about the chances of the VFL(your WAFL equivalent) teams this year? Fair Dinkum (to stael a Barks catchcry), a 4 page liftout on Subiaco vs Swan Districts etc whilst absolutely no mention of any other team in the AFL?

Also, do you in WA know that there is a competition in Australia, slightly larger than the WAFL called the NRL?

How silly of me to expect the WA news to mention anywhere about the games that were/had been playing over that weekend. Or even the results.

Lynchy, you can sugarcoat it anyway you like, the fact is that your news media caters for your local population and there can be only 1 term, to describe them/it - parochial xenophobic self-flagellators.

Do they (I'm speaking generally now) realize that WA didn't actually secede from the rest of Oz?
NRL - didn't know it existed until ~ 2005 - no WA team and no WA following so why would the west australian bother covering it in depth, we are getting a bit more of it now that the Force are up and going int he other code

you will get all the results and news on sports tonight on the weekend anyway

the Western Force get a fair bit of coverage over here though, very strong following atm.

The west and sunday times both did a 20+ page liftout on the full AFL season, not much is made of the WAFL over here, maybe 4-5 stories + results each week but they did have 4-5 pages of experts predictions and former AFL players joining the WAFL clubs. Never a mention of VFL, zero following

I really don't know what your trying to prove, we have a small population with 1 daily newspaper that does it's best to cater to the local audience

we get the results of every match in the AFL on Saturday/Sunday/Monday with 15+ page liftouts of all footy and rugby union news + 3 or 4 pages of non footy and union news like soccer/nrl/netball ect

Melbourne is the sporting capital of the nation, why try and compare the 2 cities ?

would you be saying the same about Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane not giving all 16 teams equal coverage for every sport ?

not many people are interested in the latest developments in the sponsorship at the bulldogs or how many pokies carlton have - they want news about west coast and freo and the local news station will make it there priority

its a free market, if the support for the victorian teams were bigger over here then you would probably see more news but it's not so look to alternative sources and stop whining

you can only fit so much in a 6 minute sports news segment

you want more victorian news then watch national broadcasts like on fox or sports tonight and look on the web for regional papers

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Lynchy,
My rant was on how well the Western Sainters were coping and thriving in an obviously 1 and a half horse town.
You happen to support the main horse so are truly satisfied with the coverage your beloved 'golden', 'spoon in the mouth', 'do no wrong', 'media love child' Wet Coke Eagles get.

And why shouldn't you?
You are one of the 'true believers' and as such must believe that Perth, and to a marginally lesser extent WCE, is the axis on which Australia revolves.
Unfortunately for the 90% of the rest of the population of our great country, we know that it actually doesn't.

Maybe if you Wet Cokers understood that the AFL is not just there for the pleasure of your goodselves, you would appreciate why there is so much angst among the rest of us over your antics and apparent acceptance of them?

And BTW, there is no 'east coast conspiracy' to deprive you of your birthright, which seems to be the prevailing driving force behind everything you Wet Cokers do and think.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

All i can say is thank God for the Internet. Too much coverage on the Dockers and Eagles in WA. Simple as that!

Another opportunity awaits!
karnaby
Club Player

Moccha wrote:All i can say is thank God for the Internet. Too much coverage on the Dockers and Eagles in WA. Simple as that!
Exactly Moccha.

The simple things are: don't buy their crap papers, avoid watching the commercial news & any locally produced footy shows & largely avoid talking footy to any myopic local unless they prove by their own words that they have some ability to think about footy broadly.

God forbid, I basically formed an instant friendship with a collingwood supporter a couple of days ago on the basis of a shared understanding of what it is like to support a non wa afl team. :oops:

To my mind the problem started right from the inception of the eagle poofters when channel 7 - the sole footy broadcaster at that time - became a major sponsor of the team. The locals, who were already challenged parochially, got fed a constant diet of all things eagles and, apart from a small minority, they became a festered monoculture that has changed very little to this day.

lynchbeast - you want to tell me to get my footy dose from elsewhere via the net, well thanks, I already do. However, I have a right to be pissed off, & I am mightily, because I can't see my team til something like 6am tomorrow because of the biased, parochial pandering of the media to their own well developed, self interested group of west coast wankers!

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
Lynch Beast
Club Player

karnaby wrote: lynchbeast - you want to tell me to get my footy dose from elsewhere via the net, well thanks, I already do. However, I have a right to be pissed off, & I am mightily, because I can't see my team til something like 6am tomorrow because of the biased, parochial pandering of the media to their own well developed, self interested group of west coast wankers!
Bitch and moan all you want, the 1% of footy fans in WA that want to watch the borefest that will be a swans v saints game will have to wait for the replay on Foxtel or listen to it on the radio.

Foxtel are covering the West Coast game (which will be terrible coverage) 10 are covering the saints game, 10 can show the Foxtel game but Foxtel can't show the 10 game, 10 can only show 2 games a week so I'm quite sure they will want to maximise the audience and they won't do that showing the swans/saints game.

How do you think I feel, there is a 5 year long waiting list to get a seated membership for West Coast - it's easier for me to move to melbourne and become a member and see 6-8 games than it is in my own city. I want to go the football occasionally too you know, it's not easy for anybody over here.

karnaby
Club Player

Lynch Beast wrote: Foxtel are covering the West Coast game (which will be terrible coverage) 10 are covering the saints game, 10 can show the Foxtel game but Foxtel can't show the 10 game, 10 can only show 2 games a week so I'm quite sure they will want to maximise the audience and they won't do that showing the swans/saints game.
Thank you for explaining some of the technicalities of the broadcast.

I do understand why 10 & 7 show the game, I don't understand why fox can't show it, especially given the arrangements in nsw & qld, & I AM bitching about it.

Whilst you seem to have developed a little bit of credibility in your uninvited visits here and maybe shouldn't be tarred with quite the same brush as the average eagle supporter, I would suggest that lines such as the following:
1% of footy fans in WA that want to watch the borefest that will be a swans v saints game
may not go down that well in here.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
Lynch Beast
Club Player

Foxtel have replay rights and they sacrifice the odd saturday night game when one of the local teams are playing to a sold out crowd for the victorian game
Whilst you seem to have developed a little bit of credibility in your uninvited visits here and maybe shouldn't be tarred with quite the same brush as the average eagle supporter, I would suggest that lines such as the following:
1% of footy fans in WA that want to watch the borefest that will be a swans v saints game
when saying such as
To my mind the problem started right from the inception of the eagle poofters
self interested group of west coast wankers!
your beloved 'golden', 'spoon in the mouth', 'do no wrong', 'media love child' Wet Coke Eagles get
there can be only 1 term, to describe them/it - parochial xenophobic self-flagellators.
head in the sand ostriches
are rife in such a thread you can be sure I will include the odd snide remark to even up the score
:wink:

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

karnaby wrote:
Lynch Beast wrote: Foxtel are covering the West Coast game (which will be terrible coverage) 10 are covering the saints game, 10 can show the Foxtel game but Foxtel can't show the 10 game, 10 can only show 2 games a week so I'm quite sure they will want to maximise the audience and they won't do that showing the swans/saints game.

I do understand why 10 & 7 show the game, I don't understand why fox can't show it, especially given the arrangements in nsw & qld, & I AM bitching about it.

Don't worry Karnaby, we already know LynchBeast from his previous posts.
Like the vast majority of Wet Cokers he probably still thinks that

Benny-boy is innocent

Fletcher was just tired

Super K Kerr bought the Ketamine for his string of racehorses

The Big Q is a teetotaller

Woosha the Pharmacist is unaware of any drug problem at Wet Coke

Gooding, Barnaba and the rest of the sycophant Board at Wet Coke didn't know of any 'problems'

Trevor Nisbett has never seen any carpet at Wet Coke3 to sweep problems under

Embley is a linguist

Judd never gave any service to the Cokers and is not really that good

Chick and Gardiner were the only 'bad apples' at Cokerland

Have I left any out?

Oh yes,
Pixies live in the bowels of Sublaco.

Lynch Beast
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
karnaby wrote:

Don't worry Karnaby, we already know LynchBeast from his previous posts.
Like the vast majority of Wet Cokers he probably still thinks that

Benny-boy is innocent

Fletcher was just tired

Super K Kerr bought the Ketamine for his string of racehorses

The Big Q is a teetotaller

Woosha the Pharmacist is unaware of any drug problem at Wet Coke

Gooding, Barnaba and the rest of the sycophant Board at Wet Coke didn't know of any 'problems'

Trevor Nisbett has never seen any carpet at Wet Coke3 to sweep problems under

Embley is a linguist

Judd never gave any service to the Cokers and is not really that good

Chick and Gardiner were the only 'bad apples' at Cokerland

Have I left any out?

Oh yes,
Pixies live in the bowels of Sublaco.
oh look, another strawman from Mr Magic :roll: