Clinton Jones!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sam23
SS Life Member

Clinton Jones!!!

What a f****** effort ey.

MAgnificent courage, if it wasn't for that, i don't think he'd be playing next week.

Goddard.
The Jeff
Club Player

Re: Clinton Jones!!!

Sam23 wrote:What a f****** effort ey.

MAgnificent courage, if it wasn't for that, i don't think he'd be playing next week.
This was the defining moment of the match. It gave the players a lift in the latter stages of the 3rd quarter. Without this we would have lost. This is exactly why RL and myself, are fans of the guy.

His pressuring throughout the game was quite good also.

FQF
Huzzad
Club Player

Ah look I thought he was ok. Was queit, but alot of our players were. Won the match for us with that mark and following hand-off to Schneiderman for goal. Did what he had to do. I think most players would have ? marks over their heads tonight after that performance. Give them all another week to make up for it then put heads on the chopping block.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

brownlow :wink: thats my boy

Carpe Diem
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I liked Roo's comment in an after match interview when he said it was a great way for CJ to earn the respect of the group !!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

It was pure courage, as he ran back he even had the presence to have a look at what was about to hit him and still went, was our highlight and certainly helped ensure we'd stand up against the Swans.

Prior to that I had ruled him out and Armo in for next week. I thought that for a bloke who was in the side to run, chase and tackle he was caught short but his second half was terrific.

widereceiver
Club Player

a very brave, possibly match-turning, effort. The rest of his game was pretty poor. His disposals aren't up to AFL standards.

Why RL put him ahead of Armo in the first place is beyond me.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure the bruise will be displayed as a badge of honour at recovery in the morning !!

Sandy_Saint
Club Player

I had the good-fortune of sitting in the pocket at ground-level where the courageous mark was taken.....

IMHO clearly the most inspirational act by a saints player since rooey's flying backwards mark in sydney a few years ago

Congratulations young man.... with your work ethic, I have to reason to believe why you won't continue to develop and address your well-publicised weakness and become a regular fixture of our team.

Pump it up Saints!!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Just give him Mark of the Year now :-)

Biggest ovation for a non-goal Ive heard in a very very long time. The whole ground were too busy applauding to notice he'd very cleverly dished off to Schneider

Wish the 3rd quarter had gone another 5 minutes after that. CJ's act galvanised the crowd (woke them up even hehe) and his teammaters. I reckon we could have slammed on 3-4 and shut the game out

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Quote from Ross in aftermatch interview
[quote]Lyon singled out a few players for their efforts on the night but earlier started his post-match press by lavishing praise on youngster Clint Jones for his superb mark in the third term in which he flew back with the flight of the ball.

After marking he dished off the ball to teammate Adam Schneider who drilled a long goal.

“It’s as courageous an effort as you’ll see I reckon, for a player under 20 games,â€

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

[quote]When asked just how vital Jones’ inspirational mark was in the context of the match, Lyon replied: “How much did we win by?â€

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
matrix
Saintsational Legend

he knew it was coming, had the sense to take a few sneaky looks at mattner and thought f*** it, its only mattner...lol.
he's lucky it wasnt someone like rocca, he wouldve got put into the middle of next week :lol: .

the mark has prob saved his spot...

i saw him take a mark in the back lines run hard with it, chip it forward and then run on real hard to receive up near the wing/fwd flankish, so its not like he didnt try during the game, he was just quiet, but i like him and think he has possible potential

Sobraz
SS Life Member

great effort, and has proven himself to be a brave, gutsy player..

I think we knew this all along, that his commitment and guts are what gets him to where he is..

In saying that, i dont think he should be in the side... the mark aside, he was very poor tonight, and cant be kept in due to one instance..

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

in there for the army award this week

but as usual someone else has to try and out do them any time a saints gets close-- apparently Kerr and Lappin in the eagles Lions game did exactly the same with Lappin winning out over kerr.- will eb interesting to see both shown.

Loved the noise it raised-- commentators were amazed at the standing ovation- I will admit I missed the hand off

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Sobraz wrote:great effort, and has proven himself to be a brave, gutsy player..

I think we knew this all along, that his commitment and guts are what gets him to where he is..

In saying that, i dont think he should be in the side... the mark aside, he was very poor tonight, and cant be kept in due to one instance..
Jones was no poorer than a handfull of others, including a bunch of under performaning stars in Ball, Hayes and even Dal Santo. They didn't contribute how they should've.

Carpe Diem
rexy
SS Life Member

Saint Corin wrote:
Sobraz wrote:great effort, and has proven himself to be a brave, gutsy player..

Jones was no poorer than a handfull of others, including a bunch of under performaning stars in Ball, Hayes and even Dal Santo. They didn't contribute how they should've.
Hayes and Dal in our best. Dal as a general down back and Hayes had 20 plus on one of the best run with players in the business. Do you honestly think these guys should average 30 posessions or something. Suppose Roo was quiet because he didnt kick 5.

Maybe this year?
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

that effort has shown he boy got balls...happy to have him in the team...

love is all around and it feels damn good

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
james rose
Club Player

the man runs as hard as anyone in the team...

doesn't stop, ever.

and then to take a mark like that when he knew what was going to happen is amazing... right in front of me his thought process seemed to go like this

my mark
oh s*** its in the air a lot
big man running at me I'm going to get hit
F it we need this mark.

he is exactly the sort of player dan has been going on about for years.. the GOP that does everything he can for close to minimum wage!

I'd have him in the team next week.
but yes I think he and Armo are competing for the same spot every week, which is why I have both in my SC team

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Fantastic courage shown going for that mark, but that was the only thing he did all day. Will be interesting to see who goes out for Gehrig, Blake and possibly Goddard.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

don't let that mark take away from the fact that he was useless all night.

the guy has no football brain... all night every time he was involved in a 2 on one he just ran 3 meters next to the carrier... didn't block, didn't run on for the handball... useless

kicking was horrible, was generally ineffective, ball handling skill shocking, oppsotion players ran through him all night... would much prefer Armitage, Eddy or even Ferguson

matrix
Saintsational Legend

:shock:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Will be interesting to see who goes out for Gehrig, Blake and possibly Goddard.
all three are walk up starts this week if fit.

in bj's case we really miss someone apart from gram who can delivery it long and accurately to our key forwards.

in fraser's case just think of the damage that riewoldt and koschitzke can do when the opposition has to worry about the big g-locomotive as well.

(for this reason i would have played allen as a third tall forward in fraser's absence this week).

in blake's case, there are just very few players of his size with his tank and versatility.

also, goose can't be that far off either. it's nice to have some options

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Did the umps pay the mark or the free kick???

Didnt seem to hold it quite enough for the mark, but Mattners bump was just a hip and shoulder (kudo's to him, Barry Hall would have put him in a wheelchair) which CJ actually protected himself from very well..managed to turn the body just in time.

Whichever, it was "his turn" and he responded magficently

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Raph and a few others could learn from this guy

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.