Dal Santo!!!!!!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

noddy

Dal was great last night, we saw him whack some swine player who was trying to tag him. I Was watching scumbag goodes punching ouyt leigh Fisher who gave it back to scumbag goodes so was happy with that. Had to laugh at BBBBBBBhall trying to throw his fatheaded weight around and missing the targets and getting frustrated . Sniping dog :evil:

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dal Santo!!!!!!!!!

stinger wrote:
...have a look at this article.....and the best players.....
Nick Dal Santo was best for St Kilda

Pretty much sums it all up in 6 words ha !!

As a few people have said on this thread, he was the calm steady player in the last qrt.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:which paper / site stinger?
link please

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 32,00.html

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Iratedebate
Club Player

[quote]...have a look at this article.....and the best players.....

"
Saints hold on in gruelling contest

March 23, 2008

ST KILDA held on grimly to beat Sydney by two points in a grinding match at Telstra Dome.
A shot on the run by Swan Jarred Moore with less than two minutes left narrowly missed and the Saints then held out to win 6.15 (51) to 6.13 (49).

The highlight of the match was an outstanding moment of courage from Saints second-year player Clinton Jones in the third term, which led to a vital goal.

After Moore's behind, the Saints kicked in and were given a free kick on the half-back flank, with a 50m penalty ensuring they would close out the match.

A few minutes earlier, former Swan Adam Schneider had the mark in the middle of the ground, but took too long with his kick.

Sydney forward Barry Hall ran him down from behind and passed to Nick Davis, whose shot at goal did not make the distance.

Reflecting the dour nature of the match, the two sides took a combined total of just 12 contested marks and 213 uncontested grabs.

Saints key forwards Nick Riewoldt and Justin Koschitzke were the only multiple goalscorers with two apiece.

Nick Dal Santo was best for St Kilda and young Swans Kieren Jack was also very impressive.

The Saints beat the Swans at their own game early, “out-floodingâ€

Washedup
Club Player

ST KILDA 4.3 4.6 6.10 6.15 (51)
SYDNEY 1.1 4.6 4.10 6.13 (49)
Goals: St Kilda: N Riewoldt 2 Justin Koschitzke 2 A Schneider S Milne. Sydney: B Hall N Davis J Bolton A Buchanan A Goodes H Grundy.
Best: St Kilda: N Dal Santo L Fisher X Clarke N Riewoldt. Sydney: K Jack R O'Keefe J McVeigh T Kennelly.
Umpires: M Vozzo S Ryan S Jeffery.
Injuries: St Kilda: F Gehrig (calf) replaced in selected side by A Fiora, J Blake (infection) replaced in selected side by L Fisher. Sydney: Nil.
Reports: Nil.
Official crowd: 36,614 at Telstra Dome.
A typical journalist who reads the stats or champion data rankings before putting in their best players. If we are going to pick best on grounds and only taking the last qtr into account fair enough, but anyone that was thrilled with Dal Santo's entire game on Saturday night and didn't see how lazy he was particularly in the first 3qtrs has the blinkers on i'm afraid.
I am more inclined to go by the judgment of the coaches, who didn't put him in the top 5 on Footy Classified last night.
Like i said in the original post, Dal has the potential to be one of the elite, but he will never get to level until he is willing to give 100% and he was a fair way off that on Saturday night IMO

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i wasn't at the game and didn't see the replay until sunday.

just wondering whether anyone can tell me how much dal's last quarter attempt at sealing the match missed by.

was it touched on the line or was it going through for a point anyway? it was hard to tell from the replay.

dal is developing a knack of kicking important goals at important times and it has me puzzled why he is not freed up to do more damage on the scoreboard more often.

i'd be playing him as a centreman/occasional half forward because every time he kicks one the entire team goes up a notch. he's that type of a player.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:dal is developing a knack of kicking important goals at important times and it has me puzzled why he is not freed up to do more damage on the scoreboard more often.
Lyon has been running him in from the top of the square a lot during the last five weeks. I think he really wants to get our gun mids more involved in the scoring, and I don't blame him. Once BJ comes back, that should release Dal from some of the kick-in/sweeper duties he does. At least that's what I'm hoping. I'd love to have somebody with Dal's ground level skills and kicking ability taking more shots at goal.

I'm also encouraged by the number of contested grabs he's taken in recent weeks. I hope he can keep that up.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:I'd love to have somebody with Dal's ground level skills and kicking ability taking more shots at goal. I'm also encouraged by the number of contested grabs he's taken in recent weeks. I hope he can keep that up.
i've put $100 on him to win the brownlow at $26. a superstar just coming into his prime.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
vacuous space wrote:I'd love to have somebody with Dal's ground level skills and kicking ability taking more shots at goal. I'm also encouraged by the number of contested grabs he's taken in recent weeks. I hope he can keep that up.
i've put $100 on him to win the brownlow at $26. a superstar just coming into his prime.
Money would have been better spent on Joey...

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

watching the tape of the game, i realised how good Dal played, clearly out best, when it counted he was on the last line of defence, then the next minute he was up in our goal square

i think he gives off the impression of "lazyness" because he doesn't un-neccessarily over-exert himself

apart from Harvey, he has easily got the best footy brain in our team

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Money would have been better spent on Joey.

disagree. dal's a proven vote-winner and the umpires just love ball-players like him.

what odds would you get on joey?

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote: Money would have been better spent on Joey...
Really! you honestly think that.
Dal had a very VERY average season last year but yet he still polled (i think) 15 votes. He has been one of our highest poll voters in the past 3 or so years.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
ThomasR
Club Player

Agree to a point with the OP. Watching the warm ups, Dal was very laidback and lazy, didn't put in much effort at all. Not so sure about during the game.

The frustrating point is that his ball use is so outstanding that we want the ball in his hands as often as possible. It's my concern that he doesn't get to enough contests and isn't winning the clearances as he used to.

Make no mistake, Dal is an excellent player and was among our best the other night, but I still believe there is scope for improvement. At times it feels like he is just doing enough to be classified a superstar. But he could be anything. With BJ back I would like to see him used in a more attacking role. If he pulls his finger out and starts racking up 30-odd touches with the same effectiveness, he'll win a Brownlow.

I think it's very harsh to call any AFL player lazy, I'm sure most of us would struggle a bit with the workload and km's they are asked to run combined with the strain on their bodies. But Dal always seems to have a bit in reserve - illusion or not, I think many of us would prefer to see this spent.